This post is way overdo! And we apologize for that.
Status on how acne is doing!
A few days before heading off to Blend I (Lori) changed my oil pulling method.
After talking with Michelle and reviewing everything I have eaten or done in the past few months to figure out my breakouts I made some simple changes. Pretty much stopped everything I was doing and did LESS! Yep – realized LESS IS MORE!! Within days of doing less to my face it started to get better.
Here’s a video of us sharing more of what has changed and how we are doing:
Face: pretty much blemish free (currently) – still working on healing acne scars. I have just a few red very small bumps on skin randomly, but so much better than the large painful pimples I was getting a few weeks ago (as you can see in my pictures).
Back: it has gotten a lot better, but still have acne scars on back of shoulders that I am trying to heal (slow process).
Dry skin: scalp is still dry (have been trying new homemade shampoos to help) and dry itchy skin has gotten better. I still go through a few periods of bad itching but overall doing well!
Face: Still doing well and been blemish free for a few months now. I just get the very rare pimple here or there. This is HUGE for me as I used to have really bad acne like Lori a few years ago and to be able to say I rarely ever break out anymore is astonishing! I have thrown away so many past pictures of myself because I was so embarrassed.
Back: It has gotten a lot better, but still have a few acne scars on back of shoulders. Nothing too major.
Dry skin: Like Lori my scalp is still dry (been playing around with different homemade-natural shampoos) and dry itchy skin on legs is still pretty bad. I do have some days where I don’t itch that much. Though I still go through days when I can’t seem to stop itching them and now have red patches all over them. Very embarrassing. Now that I think I got my acne controlled on face I am focusing on healing my eczema on legs!
Here are some of Lori’s skin pictures over these past few weeks:
My face these past few months. Sorry for the bad lighting in some of the pictures. These were some of my bad days when I felt like a failure.
I am almost comfortable wearing little to no makeup. I still have some leftover redness and scarring that will take a little bit longer to heal. But through using natural oils and putting lemon juice on my face every so often I know I will continue to help heal those scars.
My face about an month ago. In both pictures I have makeup on but now my face is blemish free. Currently I do not have any big pimples that protrude off the skin like before.
What do we think that has helped our acne and skin?
- drinking lemon water in the morning
- drinking detox tea daily ( a face tea for Yogi Tea)
- controlling our stress – not letting things get to us
- changing oil pulling oils (more on that below and discussed in video)
- working on balancing out our hormones (taking Vitex and Maca has helped)
- eating plenty of healthy fats (avocados, coconut oil, ghee*, etc)
- doing less on face (less is more)
- Lori’s is taking 2000mg of Pantothenic acid every morning (not a forever thing just to help with skin at the moment)
*ghee update: looking back during our gut healing journey we were having ghee but thought it was still causing us issues, so we stopped having it. But when we looked over old posts we realized when we mentioned our face was getting better when we were having ghee. So about 3-4 weeks ago we started having ghee again and our faces have continued to get better. We know some of you have mentioned that ghee makes your face worse, so again it does not work for everyone. But for now – for us- ghee has helped get rid of our acne.
What products we are using now on our skin:
- eminence rose whip moisturizer – use this only in the mornings
- witch hazel – use in the mornings and at night before we wash with our oils (using it a night before oil pulling has really helped, we only do this if we had a lot of makeup on)
- using a few essential oils (rose, lavender and thyme)
- Lori uses a NiaSerum spray on her face at night before bed (after oil pulling) and sprays on her back
- finding new oils to use on face (Lori uses: sunflower, tamanu, borage seed and sometimes just coconut oil; Michelle uses jojoba, olive and castor – and coconut oil experimenting with)
- putting straight lemon juice on scars to help heal them a few times a week
- using baking soda to exfoliant our face every other night
- doing the heated oil pulling a few times a week – other nights we just clean the face with our oil mixture and splash with water
Other thoughts on healing adult acne:
- take things slow – don’t rush (we know that is hard, but have to be patient)
- try new things both topically and internally (food)
- doing things that help our gut and hormones (through diet and supplements)
- taking fermented cod liver oil (1/2 tsp in the mornings)
- taking a variety of magnesium daily to help with bowel movements and so many other things
- getting our water in (though not stressing if we don’t drink a lot)
- reducing the intensity of our workouts and doing yoga as much as possible
- figure out why you are breaking out: is it hormonal, stress, allergic reaction, food allergy or trying new products on face
- experiment with different healthy fats and carbs to see what makes your skin shine
- figure out how much fruit and what kinds of fruit your skin likes (as each person will react to different fruits)
- limit your amount of raw foods (yes we know crazy, but ever since we have been enjoying more cooked food our face and stomach seem to be doing better)
- say positive things to yourself every day
- smile even on the bad days and visualize yourself getting better (mind over matter)
- AND MOST OF ALL – DO LESS ON YOUR FACE
Now these are just our suggestions based off personal experience. We are not doctors but we both have experienced adult acne and know what it is like to have it. And no doctor was ever able to help us, we had to do it all ourselves.
We know we still might experience a few pimples here and there as we are still figuring our happy place. But we have a wider view on things that work and don’t work for us.
Be willing to try new things. And never give up!
We know this is a lot of information to take in. We do plan on discussing some of these items in further details in posts to come. We just wanted to give an update on what we are doing differently and what we think has been helping us. In hopes it helps someone else!
Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help!
Do you have anything to add to our list of what works to help heal acne? Please feel free to share what has worked for you and we will gather everyone’s comments so we can have one common place for a resource page.
Here are some more articles on oil pulling:
Finding the right ratio is important too.
Thanks for letting us share our acne journey with you. It is a tough topic to talk about as it is embarrassing but we feel it should be a topic people discuss more.