learning more about carbs, hormones, and acne

Michelle – Workout yesterday for me was our 8 minute #plankworkout followed by 3 rounds of sexy strong arms routine. Slowly starting to get more definition in my arms – motivation for me to keep pushing.

Lori: I also did our 8 minute plank workout along with some bridge holds and push-ups. Love the simplicity of all those moves but also love how empowering I feel when doing them.

And we are both glad everyone enjoyed our 100 rep burpee workoutLet us know if you try it out.

Simple juice to start my day.

I enjoyed a banana after my juice. I have decided to test out bananas again.

Not much food in the house, so I just grabbed what I had on hand.  Lettuce mixed with eggs and coconut oil.

And runny yolk for dressing ;)

Yep, my next meal looked pretty much like my first one haha

This time added in some brussel sprouts. And yes I had 4 whole eggs in one day!!

Made simple hot cocoa to sip on while I worked.

Afternoon snack was a hemp protein english muffin topped with coconut oil.

sooooo good! I love having something like this everyday.

Dinner was grilled salmon shrimp salad with tomatoes and cooked zucchini topped with dulse flakes and coconut oil.

And before bed I enjoyed some goat yogurt that I mixed in l-glutamine, gelatin, and additional probiotic.

After my morning workout I gathered my juice ingredients: 3 carrots, fresh ginger, half cucumber, head of romaine and 5-6 stalks of kale. I also threw in half a lemon.

It made about 15oz of fresh juice.

Next, I enjoyed some steamed sweet potatoes with eggs, sauteed greens, and coconut oil.

As Michelle is trying out bananas, I felt like experimenting with sweet potatoes. I am having them in small amounts to see how my body does.

Next meal was lettuce with liver meatballs, brussel sprouts, one whole egg and coconut oil.

Made some ‘skinny’ hot cocoa as Michelle and I like to call it. This time instead of adding in some protein powder to the hot cocoa I did 2 teaspoons cacao powder. Delicious. Michelle and I are fans of water based hot cocoas over milk based ones, not sure why we just prefer it with water.

Perfect for warming me up (still a little chilly here in NC, hoping for Spring soon).

I was talking with Michelle and she mentioned she was making our hemp protein english muffins so made me crave one too. After getting off the phone with her I quickly whipped one up and topped with coconut oil.  YUM.

Dinner leftover roasted parsnips, steamed rutabaga, mushrooms, sauted swiss chard, half avocado, olive oil, cod and sardines. I ended up adding some black lava sea salt to my dinner. Love that salt!

Why are we adding bananas (michelle) and sweet potatoes (lori)?

One reason why we are experimenting with adding these forms of carbs back into our diet is for the carb factor. We were eating a low carb diet for awhile which we feel really helped calmed down inflammation and helped with our digestion.  Another reason why we are bringing them back is we just wanted more variety in our diet and we missed them.  Also, we are becoming more active now with training clients and creating more workouts so we know our bodies needed some more fuel!

For Lori –> I am trying to bring back in carbs mainly sweet potatoes (in small amounts) to see how I do. As I am still getting a few acne flare-ups that obviously I would like to stop. No one wants pimples on their face.  Now I am not going to go crazy with eating a lot of carbs, just seeing if eating little each day does help balance everything out or not.  I still deal with hormonal acne so eating a low carb diet is really good to help control that so I still plan on keeping my carb intake on the low side for now.

For Michelle —>  Looking back when I ate a banana (well fruit in general) just about everyday I seemed to go to the bathroom often. So, I wanted to experiment again with having one a day and see how my bowel movements become. It may or may not be from the fruit, but thought it was worth trying out.  Plus like Lori wanted to see how I do with more carbs for just overall health.

We know many of you are probably wondering why we are doing this – and hopefully we answered your questions. We are still experimenting with our eats to find our balance that makes us feel our BEST.   Check out this article if you are interested in learning more about carbs, hormones, and acne.  As we are hoping our bodies do okay with glucose carbs since we do feel we react to fructose. Bananas and sweet potatoes are more glucose than fructose so that is why we picked them.

Twins question:  Do you see a connection between carbs, hormones, and acne?

till next time

L and M

1. says

Making those food/hormone connections is so tough! (at least for me)… Just when I think I’ve found the secret, it seems to change… Such a mystery!
    I definitely do better with fewer carbs than what the government recommends, and definitely no processed junk, also no grains… but cutting out fruit (and wine!) is hard! I try to just eat one piece of fruit a day and get the rest of my carbs from veg. My skin/hormone issues are still annoying, but better than they’ve ever been—with beef liver. Ack.
    But hey, no pimples and better skin tone makes a person do some crazy things!
    We’ll all figure ourselves out someday and have beautiful clear skin!! :-)
    Lisa recently posted..Results of Working Out Smarter Not Harder… and Making Abs in the Kitchen!My Profile

2. says

i’m glad you two are trying to add a little bit of carbs back into your diet, especially now since you’ve become more active. it’ll be interesting to see if you have positive or negative effects from them. good luck!

did the burpee workout this am as a warm-up(haha) and it was kind of insane, but i was very proud of myself. i did 20 reps for the first two rounds, since that was what i could finish in the time you two did 25. the second two rounds i was able to do 25 reps with you, although i did stop doing the pushups half way through the 3rd round. i ended my workout with your 10 minute ab routine.

thank you so much for posting new workouts each week. it helps me stay out of the usual workout rut i get into. i love that lori does the counting and michelle does the motivating. it seriously helps me through it.
    Caitlin recently posted..Spaghetti Squash PrimaveraMy Profile

3. Chris says

Way to go…you must always liten to your body. I cannot tolerate fructose. However, I find sweet potatoes agree with me well. I usually bake them and eat the skin, too (favorite part!).

As for bananas, I do not do too well with them (it’s hit or miss). Just be aware that the fructose content varies with ripeness. The riper the banana, the higher the glucose content. If you do find that the banana helps with bowel movement, it could be due to eating not very ripe bananas because it have more invertase (fructose source). “Be cautious though, as invertase causes symptoms associated with fructose. This is why things that have inulin added are advised against for those on FODMAPS/fructose malabsorption.

Do you make your english muffins fresh every time? If you make ahead, how do you store them (fridge, counter)?

I thought you (Michelle) were still staying with Lori & Gary.

• purelytwins says

thanks Chris for the info, we will keep an eye on the bananas. all so interesting yet frustrating haha

we usually make our english muffins fresh, but if you make many we would suggest storing them in the fridge :)

Michelle left again for a few days but she will be back up here soon

4. says

I’m afraid to answer that question because I do love carbs :) I’m on my third day of the juice cleanse I’m doing and I’ve noticed my skin clearing and I don’t have that warm feeling on my face, which tends to happen when I’m eating something I maybe shouldn’t. I’ve also been trying to keep low-glycemic. With the juices I’ve been drinking I’ve been fearful of breakouts as they are really quite sweet for my taste, but so far nothing :)

Such a rollercoaster, isn’t it?! I think I’m going to ease up a bit more on the grains. I don’t typically eat a lot of them, and usually it’s quinoa, millet and wild rice. There is so much that I probably could be doing, but it’s stressing me out and obviously that’s no good either!

Love hearing about your journey, keep strong! We’ll get through this xoxox
    Christa @ Edible Balance recently posted..The Skin I’m In… Highs, Lows, and a CleanseMy Profile

• purelytwins says

we hear ya girl, it is a rollercoaster! good luck with your journey as we enjoy seeing your updates as well. one day we will all figure our skin out and be acne free :)

5. says

Everything looks delicious! Your arms are looking fabulous. I have been toying with the idea of a juicer lately, i thought that the vitamix was suffice but I think I need the juicer as well. SOmetimes I just don’t want a thick smoothie!
    We’ve been thinking about trying hemp protein, do you girls like it? We use Sunwarrior right now and love it just always looking to try new things.
    Taylor @ Liftingrevolution recently posted..So You Want To Get Stronger But Not Bulkier? Okay!My Profile

6. sally says

Can u please post all the variations for the english muffin recipes? Im having a hard time finding the links to the non-vegan one, the coconut flour one, and the protein powder ones!

I think its great u are adding carbs in. for me, frozen bananas digest better than raw.

I read that article u posted too. I think perhaps u gals needed to go low carb to “reset” ur body, but doing it long term might do more harm than good (just like those who do fruitarian diets—good short term, but not long term!)

How much sweet potato are u trying out? I bet ur body loved the carbs, gals!

Lastly, if u dont mind me asking, what approx is ur carb./pro/fat ratio?

7. adam says

what is your take on the 80 10 10 diet? I am not an “811er” but it seems as if they all have glowing skin and not too many health issues (short term that is) what is your take?

• purelytwins says

we have mixed views, we have horror stories from readers about that diet, so maybe short term it helps but not sure if it is good to do long term.

• Cel says

I was just going to post a comment but thought I could just reply to this one instead since you took the words right out of my mouth:)

Im following a mainly high carb, low fat raw vegan diet and my skin has NEVER looked better! I had the worst cystic acne growing up. As soon as I have up dairy and meat, it decreased drastically. A few months after eating high carb/raw my skin completely cleared up. I wear zero makeup now and no harsh cleaners! Ive been high carb for 5 years now. Healthiest, fittest Ive ever been. Seriously try it for a few weeks…you can always stop if it doesnt work for you.
      I love how you twins are always listening to your bodies! But I swear if you tried high carb you could reverse acne fail ups. At least try :)

• SandraSandra says

Don’t. For the love of god. Don’t. U nay noticed great results at first, but they are short lived once u develop dysbiosis and nutrient deficiencies, hormonal imbalances. Etc.

The reason it works at first is bc people give up processed foods and allergens. But over time, it bites u in the ass. I’m living proof of it as are the majority of the people after sometime. Check out 330bananasadaysucks.com if u want to see how badly it can screw u up

It’s great short term, but not long term

8. says

I think it’s completely individual if carbs affect, worsen, or improve someones acne/hormones. It also depends on carbohydrates types and timing. I think it’s great you both are always experimenting and trying to find the optimum way for your bodies needs! Very inspiring to others ;)
    McKel | Nutrition Stripped recently posted..Goal Setting 101My Profile