Peppermint mocha protein donuts that are gluten-free and dairy-free and can be made egg and grain free. Topped with a no sugar protein glaze.
We can’t believe that Christmas is next week ?!? Where did December go? Why does the end of the year always seem to go by so fast? Do you feel that way too?
Well friend here is our last recipe that we are sharing for the 2014 year. We still have a large stack of recipe ideas we wanted to make this year, but sadly didn’t get time to do them. Guess there is always 2015, right?
We hope you enjoy our peppermint mocha donuts as much as we did. Told you we had one more chocolate peppermint addiction to share. We just adore donuts. Our love for donuts actually happened a few years ago. Growing up we did not really eat too many donuts. But now, we love making them. Not sure what it is about them. Maybe the cute hole in the middle? Or how fun they are to make?
Gluten-free, dairy-free peppermint mocha protein donut recipe. Can be made egg-free and grain-free.
Are you ready to make some yummy protein chocolate donuts??
Come join us in the our kitchen!
If you liked and enjoyed this video, it would mean so much to us if you like, comment and share it! Thank you!
We were inspired to make these donuts by our other chocolate donuts, but we wanted a more holiday themed one. And of course peppermint came to mind. We added in the addition of instant coffee to make mocha flavor baked donuts. Why? Because we love coffee and felt this time of year calls for peppermint mocha!
How to make gluten-free, dairy-free peppermint mocha protein donuts
These baked donuts are soft with a lovely chew to them. The stevia sweetened protein glaze on top is amazing. The perfect touch to these hemp protein packed donuts. We used brown rice protein for the glaze, so if you want it grain-free use a whey protein or use hemp (but just note it will change the color).
And guess what? They can be made with or without an egg.
The recipe here is made without an egg and we used 1/3 cup sugar. After tasting them and loving the final outcome… we still wanted to see if we could reduce the sugar and use an egg. We were curious how the texture would be with using an egg and little less sugar. We love doing recipe experiments 😉
If you are interested in that egg version follow the same recipe below, but instead of flax gel use an egg and reduce sugar to 1/4 cup.
Both options for these donuts are great!!
The reduced sugar came out just as lovely as the flax gel one. The reduced sugar amount only really works if you use an egg. The vegan (egg-free) version of these donuts works best with 1/3 cup sugar to help with volume and texture.
Mmmm…we are dreaming of donuts. We actually enjoyed these donuts a few times already and can’t wait to make them again.
We prefer baking our donuts for a healthier treat. We admit we are lazy in the whole frying thing. Baking is so much easier 🙂
Time to make peppermint mocha donuts! Yippee!!Print
Gluten-free peppermint mocha donuts with no sugar protein glaze (grain and egg free options)
A healthy recipe for peppermint mocha donuts topped with a no sugar protein glaze. This recipe is gluten and dairy free. Can be made grain and egg-free. Made with peppermint essential oil and instant coffee.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: makes 6 donuts 1x
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons hemp protein (2 1/2oz)
- 6 tablespoons raw cacao powder (1 1/2oz)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (1 3/4oz)
- 1/4 cup nut or seed butter (we used sunflower seed butter)
- 1 egg or flax gel (1 1/2 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp water, sit to make a gel)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
no sugar protein glaze
- 3 tablespoons brown rice protein powder
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, soften
- 5 –6 tablespoons water
- stevia to taste
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 crushed candy cane for topping donuts
to make donuts
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Place dry ingredients into a bowl and stir together.
- Next add in nut or seed butter with egg (or flax gel).
- Stir together.
- Then add in water and milk.
- Stir until everything is combined.
- Batter will be light and airy, a bit sticky.
- Lightly grease donut pan.
- Either scoop batter into donut pan or pipe donuts.
- Bake donuts for about 15 minutes.
- Let donuts cool a few minutes before removing from pan.
- Remove donuts from pan carefully.
To make protein glaze
- Place all ingredients into a bowl and stir together.
- Adjust peppermint and stevia to taste.
- Drizzle protein glaze over donuts.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy cane.
Instead of hemp protein powder you can use any flour or protein powder. Please note it might alter the taste and texture.
If you would like to make them vegan you can do one flax or chia gel.
Instead of the brown rice protein in the glaze you can use any protein powder.
Instead of the essential oil for the peppermint you can use 1/2 – 1 tsp peppermint extract (adjust to taste).
Head to Starbucks order a
peppermint mocha plain coffee to enjoy with these peppermint mocha donuts.
Gluten-free protein peppermint mocha donuts with a no sugar protein glaze and candy canes
This baked protein donut recipe will soon become a favorite of yours. We promise. We adore them!
Share your thoughts:
Do you like donuts? What is your favorite donut flavor?
Do you like baked or fried donuts?
What have you been enjoying lately? Find anything new or exciting, please share?