I am celebrating being eczema free! It’s been about a year since my skin finally healed from my long battle with adult eczema.

You have seen me go up and down over the years and I want to thank you for your support and kind words.

I’ve been wanting to do a video all about diet and eczema as I tried so many things, but I was a bit unsure of what foods were my culprits. Now I have a better understanding of my body and skin.

I hope my eczema diet tips help you in your journey to heal your skin.

Foods to avoid and foods to eat for healing eczema

As I mentioned in the video last year I’ve been majority eczema free. I did have a few minor breakouts as I was still testing foods.

I do think diet has a big role in healing eczema, well good nutrition helps heal most health and skin issues.

BUT…

It was not the only factor in my healing. I had to address all parts of my life to truly heal.

I have been eczema free for one year. I am talking all about diet and eczema. What foods to avoid and what foods to eat to help heal your skin. If I can heal my eczema so can you!

I tried a few different elimination diets over my 3 years of healing. The protocol I followed was from the book Digestive Health with Real Food . I liked it a lot!! It was easy to understand and follow.  I started it around Feb 2015 and stayed on this diet for 2 months! I did add a few other foods in the second month like tahini, winter squashes and some other vegetables like cauliflower.

Foods I focused on eating: carrots, zucchini, spinach, coconut oil, meats and fish.  I did this for a whole month and then liked I mentioned I started adding in other foods in month 2.

You might be thinking why was this elimination diet different than the rest that I tried? Or why I do I feel this one worked?

A few reasons. One the diet was really simple and focused on healthy fats to heal. I ate around 4-6 tablespoons of coconut oil a day during those months. Second I was mentally ready!! I was on a good path emotionally and spiritually with all my self-love work. I was taking care of my candida issue and getting extra skin help through light therapy.

Everything just started to click together. I feel it was a combination of all those things in addition to my supplements and lotions that helped heal and keep my skin healed.

You have to be “ready” when you go on an elimination diet. They are not easy to do because they are restrictive. And I think why I used to struggle so much with them in the past was because of my past issues with an eating disorder (binge eating). But since I was also loving myself it didn’t seem hard. I knew this was right for me, which was why I feel I was able to stay on it for 2 months with no problems or feeling like I was being restrictive.

It’s all about your mindset and how you view things.

I saw this as a good thing for me not something happening to me. My eczema helped me realize I need to address my whole body and mind. I was not broken and neither are you.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Other posts:

How to keep a food journal

Why diet alone didn’t heal me

Candida and eczema

Michelle

If you’re new to Purely Twins join our tribe and get updates:

Pinterest – purelytwins

Instagram – @purelytwins and @purelytwinsfitness

Snapchat – loriandmichelle

Youtube – purelytwins and pure2rawtwins

Facebook – purelytwins

Please note that affiliate links may pop up on PT occasionally. When you click and purchase we receive a small percentage. This allows us to keep blogging! We greatly appreciate your support!

plankchallengeadblog

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

15 thoughts on “Diet and eczema: what to eat and not eat

1. Your journey is so inspiring. I have followed you guys from the beginning and it’s been amazing to watch 🙂

Posted on March 15, 2016 at 3:32 pm
    1. thank you Aubrey it was a long journey but feel so honored to share my story to help others 🙂

Posted on March 15, 2016 at 7:55 pm
  2. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!

Posted on March 15, 2016 at 5:12 pm
    1. thanks Meg!! xo

Posted on March 15, 2016 at 7:55 pm
  3. I can’t even last one day on an elimination diet as I react/severe flares, to almost everything….including coconut oil. And I’m really screwed as I don’t like vegetables unless they have cheese or nuts (also allergic to most nuts). I’ve been on oral prednisone for 2 years now and can’t seem to get off. Are you really healed? I’m so discouraged. I read your blog for inspiration. I saw you initially on Abby Lai’s page. I had a very bad flare today, not sure what caused it this time, but had to double prednisone dose and take a benedryl. This was after I took an epsom salt bath. Then I get so discouraged I eat all bad things. Saltines, brie, and just finished off a chocolate chocolate chip muffin from Costco. I hate myself. I’ll have to read your entry on loving yourself. Thanks for listening.

Posted on March 15, 2016 at 6:52 pm
    1. Sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. I understand your frustration. It is important to start loving your body as you are healing. Mindset is important step that many overlook, I did at the beginning. Just be more kind and compassionate to yourself especially when you are going through a flare up. The journey to healing can be long but when you are surrounded by positivity and working on your inner self along with diet, exercise and supplements things will get better. They did for me. It took time.

Posted on March 15, 2016 at 8:00 pm
  4. That is so awesome! I suffer from eczema and so does my son. Its not a terribly bad case but stiff annoying. This was very encouraging to read. Thanks!

Posted on March 16, 2016 at 3:33 pm
    1. so glad to help! HUGS

Posted on March 16, 2016 at 7:46 pm
  5. Congratulations! That’s wonderful news!!!!!

Posted on March 17, 2016 at 7:42 pm
  6. My mother is suffering from psoriasis. She hardly eats any of the things you mentioned. Of course you guys do not have the same things but we have been through so many treatments that relate to both. I was hoping she could follow you a bit and maybe something would work. She is covered from head to toe with years of doctors. Right now she is taking a med that keeps it under control and almost seems like it does not exist until the med is delivered late and she breaks out so much that she has to go to the hospital. I am constantly researching. Will never quit.

Posted on December 27, 2016 at 8:58 am
    1. Sorry to hear this. Look into the book I mentioned and the supplements too. Don’t give up. If I can heal so can your mom. Sending healing and loving vibes her way. Make sure sure she sees herself with clear skin even thought she doesn’t. If she can get her mind to believe it her body will follow.

Posted on December 30, 2016 at 12:51 am
  7. Did you do all of this while nursing? Did you struggle a lot postpartum? I have had major skin issues that started during pregnancy but have gotten worse since giving birth. I also found out I have hashimotos. It seems that my skin really flares with stress and hormone changes and in the evenings so many adrenal related. Did you have any on your hands? Mine doesn’t seem like it is full blown eczema..it’s all so confusing. I also have SIBO. 🙁 Trying to treat as much as possible but it is so hard while breastfeeding and needing a lot of carbs/proteins and such. I’m on the AIP diet and it helping some but I’m still struggling.

Posted on January 5, 2017 at 3:45 pm
    1. Jeanne, Lori was the one who was pregnant and she did not suffer from eczema, I did (Michelle). For me, I did not have it on my hands, I had it on face, neck, and legs mostly. And yes stress was a huge issue for me.

Posted on January 8, 2017 at 11:58 pm
  8. Michelle I just watched your video with Abby and it was very informative. My eczema just started about 4 months ago and I have been trying to research and understand it. I just started an elimination diet and it is soo confusing as to what you should eat and not eat. I like the idea that you took such a simple approach. I was wondering if you heard about “sustained fasting” which has you eat potatoes, carrots and a few other foods. The premise is that these foods are easily digested and your body can focus on healing diseases. Thank you so much for your help and support on this journey any thoughts on diet would be appreciated!

Posted on April 1, 2017 at 8:29 pm
    1. Have not heard of that, but sounds interesting. I say give it a try if you feel called to it. Sending you healing vibes. Glad you enjoyed the video.

Posted on April 9, 2017 at 1:11 pm