how to make {sugar-free} vanilla marshmallows

The recipe so many of you have been waiting for is finally here!

How to make ‘sugar-free’ vanilla marshmallows using gelatin.

Just like our two other marshmallow recipes from our carob coffee marshmallows to our pink marshmallows, we made this with very few ingredients. With the key ingredient being gelatin!

We are seriously loving gelatin (beef grass-fed)  in our diet. We feel it is really helping with our overall health and healing our gut. And being able to create a fun and gut-friendly healthy snack has been wonderful for us to enjoy all day long.

We call these sugar-free as we used liquid stevia. Which we know some people out there dislike stevia and that is ok. That is why we have maple syrup based marshmallows too. We love both sweeteners.

[print_this]

Purelytwins recipe: Sugar-free (stevia based) basic vanilla marshmallows

makes: depends on how big or small you cut marshmallow slices

Ingredients:

• 1  cupswater
  • 3/4 tsp liquid stevia
  • 3 tablespoons gelatin (beef grass-fed based)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean (optional we used it for the little specs of vanilla bean in marshmallows)

Directions:

Place the 3 tbsp gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup water. Mix together. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Have the whisk attachment standing by.  **you could use a hand mixer for this

Next step you can do in a small saucepan , heat up 1/2 cup water over medium high heat or heat up the 1/2 cup water in the microwave. Basically you are looking for just about boiling water.  Begin to heat the water. Once the water reaches  just about boil temperature immediately remove from the heat.

Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the hot water down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the water, add in vanilla extract  and vanilla bean powder and liquid stevia, and increase the speed to medium-high. Beat at medium-high for 1-2 minutes than increase speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes slightly thick, approximately 8-10 minutes.

While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.

We used a bread loaf pan.  You can use anything you like. Lightly grease your pan with some coconut oil (which is what we do). You could put done wax paper instead if you wanted.

Once your marshmallow mixture is starting to look like it has some body to it (almost forming peaks), pour the mixture into the prepared pan, using a spatula for spreading. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4-5 hours.

Once marshmallows have set for a few hours you can start to cut into desired shapes using a sharp knife.  Store in an airtight container. We store our sugar-free marshmallows in the refrigerator.

** for those that do not want to use gelatin – you can try agar agar – 3/4 tsp – 1 tsp

[/print_this]

We have made different versions of a low sugar marshmallow a few times and this is the one recipe we keep going back to as we feel they turn out pretty darn good for sugar-free marshmallows!

They are sweet, soft, light and fluffy with a good spongy texture. Now it is a little different in texture compared to our marshmallows made with maple syrup as the maple syrup help provides even more soft and spongy texture.

We are pleased with this stevia based marshmallow recipe and we think you will too!

till next time,

purelytwins

86 Responses to how to make {sugar-free} vanilla marshmallows

1. Lisa says:

These look right up my alley :-)
    Will definitely try them very soon… I’m about to order more gelatin…that stuff goes fast since I have a slight obsession with it!! Lol.
    Happy weekend, Ladies!
    Lisa recently posted..“Did I Do the Work I Needed to Do, and Did I Do It Like a Motherfucker?”My Profile

• purelytwins says:

We still have to make your wine ones!!

• Rachel says:

• purelytwins says:

not sure if that using that gelatin would work or not.

• Rachel says:

Can I use regular flavored gelatin? Like Knox brand in the baking isle? When I tried it came out like sturdy foam, and shiny, didn’t look very appetizing, and not at all like yours. It is also very wet tasting, which is what makes it so unappetizing.

2. Chris says:

Yeay! This is actually very similar to how I made vanilla stevia marshmallows the other day. I used pure stevia powder and vanilla extract (no vanilla bean). I topped them off with ceylon cinnamon (I really liked the addition of spice). Other toppings: cacao, carob, coconut, on and on.

Thank you for this great recipe!!!!

3. Elin says:

Hello!! :) I was wondering, when you say 3/4 – 1 tsp with the agar agar, do you mean 1 tsp gelatin equals 3/5 tsp agar agar or the other way around? Also, do you have any idea if agar agar marshmallows will turn out all fluffy and white? Tried a marshmallow recipe with vegegel yesterday and, well, it turned out the opposite of amazing… You girls are freaking awesome, thank you for a great blog! xo from Sweden

• purelytwins says:

well about 4 tbsp gelatin equals 1 tsp agar, so since we did 3 tbsp gelatin around 3/4 tsp – 1 tsp agar should replace. We have no experience working with it so not sure how they will come out, but we have seen others make it using agar. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

• kimberley cadden says:

Hi there – I just tried making these with agar agar – I stuck to the recipe exactly and whilst they came up lovely and fluffy with peaks when I mixed them – within ten minutes they have gone back to water again? Do you know why this would happen? it’s such a waste and before trying again it would be good to know what I could have done so wrong – I will use the beef gelatin next time – but it would still be good to know how this one could have turned out the way it did – thank you!

• purelytwins says:

Kimberley sorry to hear they did not come out with agar agar. We do not have experience using that, maybe double the amount. If you can get gelatin that would be great and hopefully the video can help too!

4. Kyra says:

How many marshmallows do u have a day so that u get ur 2tbs of gelatin? Or do u not have a goal of eating 2tbs gelatin anymore?

Thanks for posting this

(what brand of Stevia do u use again?)

• purelytwins says:

we don’t really count how many we eat ,we tend to eat 2-3 at a time many a few times a day. Some days we make some gelatin in water for extra.
      And we get Sweet Leaf liquid stevia, vanilla flavored.

5. Oh, neat! Another use for gelatin. I’ve been trying to find ways to incorporate it into my diet after reading Ray Peat’s work. It’s so healing!
    the 3volution of j3nn recently posted..Low-Carb Menu and Recipe Bomb!My Profile

6. Oooh, thanks for this recipe! I was looking for marshmallow alternatives a week ago for my daughter’s “snowmen” birthday cupcakes. I’ll have to try these!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..No Bake Healthy BrowniesMy Profile

7. lindsay says:

i’m so fascinated by these! i think i might try them with my coconut extract too!

8. I was soooo excited for this! I have to go out of town again this week, but you better believe next weekend sugar-free marshmallows are ON! :)
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Strange But Good TravelsMy Profile

9. Julia says:

Do you buy the porcine gelatine or the beef gelatine? what is the difference? Your link is for the porcine option from great lakes.

10. Marshmallows?! These are so cool girls! I’ve been trying to find grass fed beef gelatin but I can’t get any around here. Maybe I’ll have to order it online…. and then I have to try this recipe!! Looks like you’re doing so great with your plan and eats. xoxo
    Heather @ Sweetly Raw recently posted..Raw Chocolate Raspberry Love CupcakesMy Profile

11. Riikka says:

Hi girls!
    I’m a long time follower from Finland and its been so nice to follow your blog and all the topics you deal with. Ive never commented before, but Im curious about the gelatin use, since I myself suffer from arthritis and have tried to find the right way of healing myself with food. I was able to quit the medication and went gluten and dairy free for about 2 years ago and everything was ok for long, until last fall I started getting symptoms again. Now I have been following the paleo diet (so totally grain, dairy and bean-free) for a month (it was a doctor who suggested this, along with many antioxidants he prescriped), and swelling in my fingers and feet slowly are better. I hope it stays this way, still have days that feel a little hopeless.

I have never thought of trying gelatin to help with my joints, but I might give it a try since I understand in US many people use it for that. Here, I´ve heard none doing it so far. Only thing that bothers me, is that gelatin I would like to order from iHerb is the brand Now Foods, and it seems its not from grass-fed cows. The brand you use and order from Amazon, it would cost a freeking 40 dollars to ship it to Finland. Boo! So trying to find alternative for that. So basically Im balanacing between not ordering anything or trying that Now Foods-brand not-so-organic gelatin. Would you think its still worth the shot?

Thanks for your honesty and interesting topics, I feel very related in so many ways.

12. Riikka says:

That’s a good idea to ask the local store to order it, maybe it’ll work that way around! I also requested iHerb to start carrying it, let’s see if they will in the future.

I will take a look at that other brand too, if it’s easier to order here. Thanks!

13. London says:

Hello, I made your Sugar Free Marshmallows and I think I did something wrong. They set but were very light and at the bottom had a layer of clear gello? Help? I need your expert advice please.
    London

• purelytwins says:

London this has happened to us too, try not waiting so long to beat everything together. Make sure your water is hot so it melts in the gelatin and beat it at a high speed. The batter should change colors and start to come together.

• nicole says:

Maybe that is what I did wrong too because I waited exactly 10 minutes to blend everything but I ended up running the mixer for nearly 15 minutes and it never came together. I ended up with clear jello that I had to toss. :-( It’s definitely worth another try, I’m just not sure where I went wrong.

14. ali says:

I love u guys! :D

Two questions:

a) Would this recipe work you think, if I used granulated xylitol or Truvia ( its an erythritol and stevia mix)instead of the liquid stevia? I don’t have any liquid stevia in my home. :(
    If yes, can you please recommend how much Xylitol and/or Truvia ( have you guys ever used Truvia? It sounds like it’d be so up your alley…) to use and what to do with it in the recipe scheme of things?

Thanks much! xo ali

• purelytwins says:

Ali to be hoest not sure, the hot water could help dissolve the Truvia granules. I would do 1-2 tsp and might have to taste it see how it as you go.

15. franny says:

mine came out clear! lol still tasty…but flat and clear. any ideas?! lol! i feel so silly. thanks girls!!! xx

• purelytwins says:

Franny a few reasons the gelatin sat to look and did not mix into the water. Or water not hot enough to melt the gelatin into it. Did not beat long enough or at the right speed. It takes practice ;)

16. Erica says:

This is an interesting approach to marshmallows and I’d like to try it; however, I feel like maybe I’m missing something, because I can’t find instruction in your recipe for when to add the liquid Stevia. Does it go in the water as it boils? Do you add it during the whipping stage?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

• purelytwins says:

You add it in with the hot water and vanilla into the gelatin mix. Sorry about that. I add to the directions now. Thanks

17. Andrea says:

These are WONDERFUL! I just made them, stuck them in the fridge, and have already eaten half the pan. Hey, it’s low calorie!
    Here’s what I did: realized that I only had 2 tbs of gelatin, so I left out 1/2 cup of the hot water. I also used one scoop of stevia powder because I don’t have the liquid. And I left out the vanilla, but added in freeze-dried strawberry powder to make it pink for valentine’s day.
    Oh my! Officially my new favorite way of getting my gelatin in. THANK YOU! I had no idea that you could make it like this! It was magic to me when I saw is starting to thicken and fluff up.

18. Amie Sue says:

I have been having a great time making these. I have been using this gelatin for months now for gut healing purposes. I tried however to make this with agar agar… doesn’t work, unless you do something different with the process. If so, I would love to know. :)

19. Wendy says:

Ok… so I tried them and love them.. I have them in the freezer and they are pretty fun to eat that way. Any thoughts on additional flavors? I’m not thrilled with my vanilla flavor so which one do you use?

• purelytwins says:

Wendy you could add in some coconut extract, mint extract, or almond. Really any extract, start small like 1/4 – 1/2 tsp, and add more if needed. We use the brand called Singing Dog vanilla.

20. stephanie says:

Would these marshmallows work for rice crispy treats?

21. Kierston says:

omg.Pinning for later making!
    Kierston recently posted..#RECIPEFRIDAY: Fresh Salsa!My Profile

22. Ap says:

Curious…. I tried these and they were huge and fluffy at 7 min so I thought to keep going for at least 3 more to make it to 10 since I hadn’t done them before but when I went back to the mixer they were flat and a little lifeless? Should I of stopped at 7???

• purelytwins says:

we think so, sounds like yours came together a lot faster than ours do. so next time if it starts coming together try stopping to see what happens.

23. Kate says:

Would it be possible to use a food processor or blender for these instead of a mixer?

24. Mari says:

Molasses……I love molasses and have started eating a little a day. Wondering if a tbs of molasses added would work……

25. Nadia says:

Hi there! Love your blog. I have tried to make these marshmallows today, but they have separated. Basically there is a transparent layer and the white fluffy one. Looks pretty but I am wondering what did I do wrong? Not enough whipping? I would love to master them as making broth is not very convenient for busy people, you should know. Thanks a lot for help.

• purelytwins says:

either the gelatin did not get to sit together long enough (meaning adding water too soon), but usually we think when this happens is from not whipping it long enough

26. Mimi says:

YUM!!
    I made it with cacao added (Navitas raw powder) and a little syrup along w/stevia.
    They r setting right now but it was so good, I ate about 1/4 mixture as a mousse!!

27. katie says:

Hi! Do you know if these would melt so I could use them to make rice krispy treats etc.? I suppose I could find out myself, but won’t have a chance to make them for a while!

28. Krystle says:

I just made these! Awesome. Can I make rice krispie treats with these in place of real marshmallows?

• Jenny says:

I don’t believe these would work for making Rice Krispie treats, since there is no actual sugar in this recipe… Part of the reason marshmallows bind the crisped rice is because the sugar in the marshmallows helps bind to available water (i.e., the sugar has binding properties!).

They might work on s’mores, but I don’t think they’d melt the same way; they would still heat up and taste delicious with chocolate and graham crackers, though! :)

29. Wow! I’ve been wanting to make homemade marshmallows for awhile but didn’t want all the sugar. This will be perfect! :)

30. This is great, and so clean and easy! Have you made them with the agar before? I’ve mostly seen recipes for puddings with agar, and have never played with it myself, so I’m wondering what the trick is to make it firm.

You two are awesome, thanks for all your posts, they are so inspiring!

31. stevia says:

Howdy! Adore your website. We have tried to create these marshmallows these days, but they possess segregated. Basically there’s a clear coating as well as the bright cosy 1. Seems quite on the other hand feel asking yourself just what would I actually do drastically wrong? Not enough lashes? I would want to master them since producing broth is just not really hassle-free with regard to busy men and women, you need to know. Thanks for support.

32. Cool!
    As for the gelatin…I have never made anything with gelatin before? I checked out the link to order from amazon, but do you know if I can buy something similar at a grocery or health food store?
    Cheers!
    Tara
    Tara @ I’m Fit Possible recently posted..Too Hot To Handle & Run Drenched GiveawayMy Profile

33. Colleen says:

O.M.G. My husband just had a stroke of genius. I made a batch of your marshmallows, and my husband came home and saw them and said, “So, are you going to make rice krispy treats with those marshmallows?” It was as if the heavens opened and angels sang! I made another batch of marshmallows, and I added in rice krispies during the last minute of mixing. Then, I spread it in a pan and let it set (after eating a few handfuls.) Brilliant!! I am so happy I have a healthy rice krispy treat option now!

34. Mel says:

Are they bonfire friendly? Aka “roastable”??

35. Cindy says:

I just tried to make your marshmallows. I thought I followed the directions… but after reading the other comments, something must have been wrong with my timing. The mixture looked like it was coming together – it got frothy and then sort of thick… but it never came close to having peaks, and I left it beating for about 30 minutes! And then when I poured it in the pan, I could hear the bubbles popping and I saw the mixture deflate. I put it in the freezer right away in an effort to salvage it somehow and then transferred to the fridge, where it’s now separated – clear on the bottom and froth on top. There’s no way it could’ve been left out at room temperature.
    Oh experts, what’s the prognosis? Did I need to whip it at a faster speed sooner? (When I raised the speed, it started splattering all over so I kept it at an 8 instead of 10.) Or did I leave it too long before mixing and adding the hot water? I had no clue it would be so finicky, but I’d love to try this again…
    Thank you!!!

36. Allen says:

For those having problems with separation into vanilla “jello” and gelatin foam, I tried my first batch using a hand mixer that only had egg beaters and got exactly that disappointing result. Determined to make good marshmallows (and having wanted to upgrade the mixer for some time) I bought a Kitchenaid stand mixer and tried again…et voila !

I think I did two things wrong in the first batch. For one, I didn’t pour the heated water in slowly enough, as that is a challenge when holding the mixer with one hand. The other, I think, is that the egg beaters whipped the gelatin too vigorously but no thoroughly. The whole mixture puffed up in a couple of minutes. Since I didn’t know better yet, I just kept going for about 7 minutes, at which point the mixture had pretty much filled the bowl. So it was way too foamy from the start, and I imagine it wasn’t well mixed at the bottom. The magic Kitchenaid whip attachment does a perfect job. My second batch was great!

So, not saying you need to get a Kitchenaid, but I think you do need to be careful about pouring in the water slowly, and making sure that you are only whipping to the consistency of marshmallow creme, not meringue.

37. Lynde says:

thank you ..thank you …thank you…
    I am allergic to everything….no really….corn, soy, milk, eggs, yeast…..so…YAY MARSHMALLOWS!!!!!!!!

38. Zerelja Mar says:

Hi! Is there a way to make this with stevia packets instead of liquid stevia? Thanks! :)

39. Am says:

Hi! These look really cool! I would like to make some, but we don’t have our KitchenAid (mixer) with us.

Can they be made in a blender, food processor, or by hand? Thanks!

40. Angela Willis says:

How do these toast?
    Will they melt nicely?
    Also weird question… what about these gives them the “marshmallow flavor”… say I wanted this flavor in an almond milk drink? How would I get that?
    Angela

• purelytwins says:

Angela they would melt pretty quickly due to that they are sugar-free. Not a weird question, but you can add marshmallow extract if you want more of a marshmallow flavor.

41. JoesMama says:

Due to time constraints, I will have to try this recipe with Knox gelatin, at least for the first attempt. I was wondering if anyone else had tried it again since the comment last May, and do you have any advice?

Also, do you/can you dust the marshmallows with something after so they don’t stick together? Thanks!

42. […] about this one? http://purelytwins.com/2013/02/08/ho…llows-gelatin/ Sugar free as they use stevia powder. I don't know if that gives it the same structure as when […]

43. Joanne says:

Just a quick question. Am I supposed to refrigerate them once they are prepared or are they meant to sit the 4-5 hours uncovered at room temp?
    Thanks

44. Jenna says:

Just one quick question: Would that be 1 1/2 cups of water total? Your other marshmallow recipes say to use a 1/2 cup of cold water then a 1/2 cup of warm water, but this one says 1/2 cup cold water and 1 cup of warm water. Is this a typo or just because of the stevia? Thank you!!

• purelytwins says:

sorry it’s a typo – it is 1/2 cup of water mixed in bowl with gelatin and another 1/2 cup of water heated up. So 1 cup total. We I will make that change, thanks for letting me know.

45. Mallory says:

When I made them they had the right consistency but they tasted bitter and disgusting. This is my first time using liquid stevia and I almost never want to use it again! :-(

46. bliss says:

Can I make rice crispies with this ? And are they just as good??:/

47. […] marshmallow ;) (Use vegan marshmallows to make it vegan, or make your own if you have a Kitchenaid (avoids sugar, and/or […]

48. Rebecca says:

I seriously am going to try these!! Thanks so much! I will be using stevia powder instead, though.
    Rebecca recently posted..Athlete’s Foot or Eczema?My Profile

49. Amy says:

Has anyone tried to toast these over a fire? For, say, s’mores?