How to make sugar-free marshmallows.

gelatin-sugar-free-marshmallow

The recipe so many of you have been waiting for is finally here!

How to make ‘sugar-free’ vanilla marshmallows using gelatin and stevia.

Just like our two other marshmallow recipes from our carob coffee marshmallows to our pink marshmallows, we made this with very few ingredients. With the key ingredient being gelatin!

Making sugar free marshmallows

We are seriously loving gelatin (beef grass-fed)  in our diet. We feel it is really helping with our overall health and healing our gut. Being able to create a fun and gut-friendly healthy snack has been wonderful for us to enjoy all day long.

Sugar-free (stevia based) basic vanilla marshmallows

Sugar-free marshmallows. The best paleo and healthy recipe for sugar free marshmallows. A healthy snack.

We call these sugar-free as we used liquid stevia. We know some people out there dislike stevia and that is ok. That is why we have maple syrup based marshmallows too. We love both sweeteners.

We use this gelatin (beef grass-fed based)

Love chocolate? Check out our sugar-free low calorie chocolate marshmallows recipe.

Sugar-free vanilla marshmallows (gluten-free, paleo)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Yield: servies 1 - 2

Sugar-free vanilla marshmallows (gluten-free, paleo)

How to make sugar-free marshmallows. Gluten-free. Paleo. No sugar marshmallow recipe. Homemade marshmallows that are sweetened with stevia.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 3/4 tsp liquid stevia
  • 3 tablespoons gelatin
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean (optional we used it for the little specs of vanilla bean in marshmallows)

Directions

1. Place the 3 tbsp of gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup water.
  2. Mix together. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Have the whisk attachment standing by. **you could use a hand mixer for this
  4. Next step you can do in a small saucepan. Heat up 1/2 cup water over medium high heat or heat up the 1/2 cup water in the microwave. Basically you are looking for just about boiling water.
  5. Begin to heat the water. Once the water reaches just about boiling temperature immediately remove from the heat.
  6. Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the hot water down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture.
  7. Once you have added all of the water, add in vanilla extract and vanilla bean powder and liquid stevia and increase the speed to medium-high.
  8. Beat at medium-high for 1-2 minutes then increase speed to high.
  9. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes slightly thick, approximately 8-10 minutes.
  10. While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.
  11. We used a bread loaf pan. You can use anything you like. Lightly grease your pan with some coconut oil (which is what we do). You could put down wax paper instead if you wanted.
  12. Once your marshmallow mixture is starting to look like it has some body to it (almost forming peaks), pour the mixture into the prepared pan, using a spatula for spreading.
  13. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for a few hours.
  14. Once marshmallows have set for a few hours you can start to cut into desired shapes using a sharp knife.
  15. Store in an airtight container.
  16. We store our sugar-free marshmallows in the refrigerator.
  17. ** for those that do not want to use gelatin – you can try agar agar – 3/4 tsp – 1 tsp

A simple recipe to make homemade marshmallows that are sweetened with stevia.

Marshmallow recipe made without sugar

We have made different versions of a low sugar marshmallow a few times and this is the one recipe we keep going back to as we feel they turn out pretty darn good for sugar-free marshmallows!

They are sweet, soft, light and fluffy with a good spongy texture. Now it is a little different in texture compared to our marshmallows made with maple syrup as the maple syrup help provides an even more soft and spongy texture.

We are pleased with this stevia based marshmallow recipe and we think you will too!

til next time,

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

110 thoughts on “how to make {sugar-free} vanilla marshmallows

1. These look right up my alley 🙂
    Will definitely try them very soon… I’m about to order more gelatin…that stuff goes fast since I have a slight obsession with it!! Lol.
    Happy weekend, Ladies!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    1. We still have to make your wine ones!!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Posted on May 2, 2013 at 10:46 am
      1. not sure if that using that gelatin would work or not.

Posted on May 2, 2013 at 10:47 am
      2. Can I use regular flavored gelatin? Like Knox brand in the baking isle? When I tried it came out like sturdy foam, and shiny, didn’t look very appetizing, and not at all like yours. It is also very wet tasting, which is what makes it so unappetizing.

Posted on May 2, 2013 at 11:50 am
  2. Yeay! This is actually very similar to how I made vanilla stevia marshmallows the other day. I used pure stevia powder and vanilla extract (no vanilla bean). I topped them off with ceylon cinnamon (I really liked the addition of spice). Other toppings: cacao, carob, coconut, on and on.

Thank you for this great recipe!!!!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm
  3. Hello!! 🙂 I was wondering, when you say 3/4 – 1 tsp with the agar agar, do you mean 1 tsp gelatin equals 3/5 tsp agar agar or the other way around? Also, do you have any idea if agar agar marshmallows will turn out all fluffy and white? Tried a marshmallow recipe with vegegel yesterday and, well, it turned out the opposite of amazing… You girls are freaking awesome, thank you for a great blog! xo from Sweden

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    1. well about 4 tbsp gelatin equals 1 tsp agar, so since we did 3 tbsp gelatin around 3/4 tsp – 1 tsp agar should replace. We have no experience working with it so not sure how they will come out, but we have seen others make it using agar. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm
      1. Hi there – I just tried making these with agar agar – I stuck to the recipe exactly and whilst they came up lovely and fluffy with peaks when I mixed them – within ten minutes they have gone back to water again? Do you know why this would happen? it’s such a waste and before trying again it would be good to know what I could have done so wrong – I will use the beef gelatin next time – but it would still be good to know how this one could have turned out the way it did – thank you!

Posted on June 19, 2014 at 5:19 pm
        1. Kimberley sorry to hear they did not come out with agar agar. We do not have experience using that, maybe double the amount. If you can get gelatin that would be great and hopefully the video can help too!

Posted on June 19, 2014 at 7:11 pm
          1. Agar agar has to boil to set so you may need to heat it in the pan and then begin the recipe.

Posted on March 13, 2015 at 11:30 pm
  4. How many marshmallows do u have a day so that u get ur 2tbs of gelatin? Or do u not have a goal of eating 2tbs gelatin anymore?

Thanks for posting this

(what brand of Stevia do u use again?)

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 pm
    1. we don’t really count how many we eat ,we tend to eat 2-3 at a time many a few times a day. Some days we make some gelatin in water for extra.
      And we get Sweet Leaf liquid stevia, vanilla flavored.

Posted on February 9, 2013 at 9:46 am
  5. Oh, neat! Another use for gelatin. I’ve been trying to find ways to incorporate it into my diet after reading Ray Peat’s work. It’s so healing!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm
  6. Oooh, thanks for this recipe! I was looking for marshmallow alternatives a week ago for my daughter’s “snowmen” birthday cupcakes. I’ll have to try these!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 8:46 pm
  7. i’m so fascinated by these! i think i might try them with my coconut extract too!

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    1. oh coconut extract sounds yummy 🙂

Posted on February 9, 2013 at 8:32 am
  8. I was soooo excited for this! I have to go out of town again this week, but you better believe next weekend sugar-free marshmallows are ON! 🙂

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 11:22 pm
  9. Do you buy the porcine gelatine or the beef gelatine? what is the difference? Your link is for the porcine option from great lakes.

Posted on February 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    1. http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Unflavored-Gelatin-16-Ounce/dp/B001ELLBJS/ref=pd_sim_gro_3 here is the link of the kosher beef gelatin we get, sorry about that. we are not really sure of the difference

Posted on February 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm
  10. Marshmallows?! These are so cool girls! I’ve been trying to find grass fed beef gelatin but I can’t get any around here. Maybe I’ll have to order it online…. and then I have to try this recipe!! Looks like you’re doing so great with your plan and eats. xoxo

Posted on February 10, 2013 at 11:26 pm
  11. Hi girls!
    I’m a long time follower from Finland and its been so nice to follow your blog and all the topics you deal with. Ive never commented before, but Im curious about the gelatin use, since I myself suffer from arthritis and have tried to find the right way of healing myself with food. I was able to quit the medication and went gluten and dairy free for about 2 years ago and everything was ok for long, until last fall I started getting symptoms again. Now I have been following the paleo diet (so totally grain, dairy and bean-free) for a month (it was a doctor who suggested this, along with many antioxidants he prescriped), and swelling in my fingers and feet slowly are better. I hope it stays this way, still have days that feel a little hopeless.

I have never thought of trying gelatin to help with my joints, but I might give it a try since I understand in US many people use it for that. Here, I´ve heard none doing it so far. Only thing that bothers me, is that gelatin I would like to order from iHerb is the brand Now Foods, and it seems its not from grass-fed cows. The brand you use and order from Amazon, it would cost a freeking 40 dollars to ship it to Finland. Boo! So trying to find alternative for that. So basically Im balanacing between not ordering anything or trying that Now Foods-brand not-so-organic gelatin. Would you think its still worth the shot?

Thanks for your honesty and interesting topics, I feel very related in so many ways.

Posted on February 11, 2013 at 7:15 am
    1. Riikka sorry to hear that shipping from amazon cost so much! Have your tried contacting your local health food store to see if they can order it? Here is another good brand http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/product/bernard-jensen-gelatin/superfoods-supplements

Posted on February 11, 2013 at 9:24 am
  12. That’s a good idea to ask the local store to order it, maybe it’ll work that way around! I also requested iHerb to start carrying it, let’s see if they will in the future.

I will take a look at that other brand too, if it’s easier to order here. Thanks!

Posted on February 11, 2013 at 12:45 pm
  13. Hello, I made your Sugar Free Marshmallows and I think I did something wrong. They set but were very light and at the bottom had a layer of clear gello? Help? I need your expert advice please.
    London

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    1. London this has happened to us too, try not waiting so long to beat everything together. Make sure your water is hot so it melts in the gelatin and beat it at a high speed. The batter should change colors and start to come together.

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm
      1. Maybe that is what I did wrong too because I waited exactly 10 minutes to blend everything but I ended up running the mixer for nearly 15 minutes and it never came together. I ended up with clear jello that I had to toss. 🙁 It’s definitely worth another try, I’m just not sure where I went wrong.

Posted on May 15, 2013 at 11:27 am
        1. Nicole we will work on a video on how to make these.

Posted on May 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    2. This happened to me to. Sprinkle the gelatin on top, mix, and let it sit longer.

Posted on May 19, 2016 at 8:18 am
  14. I love u guys! 😀

Two questions:

a) Would this recipe work you think, if I used granulated xylitol or Truvia ( its an erythritol and stevia mix)instead of the liquid stevia? I don’t have any liquid stevia in my home. 🙁
    If yes, can you please recommend how much Xylitol and/or Truvia ( have you guys ever used Truvia? It sounds like it’d be so up your alley…) to use and what to do with it in the recipe scheme of things?

Thanks much! xo ali

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    1. Ali to be hoest not sure, the hot water could help dissolve the Truvia granules. I would do 1-2 tsp and might have to taste it see how it as you go.

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 8:48 pm
  15. mine came out clear! lol still tasty…but flat and clear. any ideas?! lol! i feel so silly. thanks girls!!! xx

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    1. Franny a few reasons the gelatin sat to look and did not mix into the water. Or water not hot enough to melt the gelatin into it. Did not beat long enough or at the right speed. It takes practice 😉

Posted on February 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm
  16. This is an interesting approach to marshmallows and I’d like to try it; however, I feel like maybe I’m missing something, because I can’t find instruction in your recipe for when to add the liquid Stevia. Does it go in the water as it boils? Do you add it during the whipping stage?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    1. You add it in with the hot water and vanilla into the gelatin mix. Sorry about that. I add to the directions now. Thanks

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 4:34 pm
  17. These are WONDERFUL! I just made them, stuck them in the fridge, and have already eaten half the pan. Hey, it’s low calorie!
    Here’s what I did: realized that I only had 2 tbs of gelatin, so I left out 1/2 cup of the hot water. I also used one scoop of stevia powder because I don’t have the liquid. And I left out the vanilla, but added in freeze-dried strawberry powder to make it pink for valentine’s day.
    Oh my! Officially my new favorite way of getting my gelatin in. THANK YOU! I had no idea that you could make it like this! It was magic to me when I saw is starting to thicken and fluff up.

Posted on February 13, 2013 at 10:11 pm
    1. Awesome Andrea!!! So happy to hear this!! YAHOO!!! ENJOY

Posted on February 14, 2013 at 9:11 am
  18. I have been having a great time making these. I have been using this gelatin for months now for gut healing purposes. I tried however to make this with agar agar… doesn’t work, unless you do something different with the process. If so, I would love to know. 🙂

Posted on February 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    1. we are unsure of how to agar agar with it as we have never used it, sorry

Posted on February 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  19. Ok… so I tried them and love them.. I have them in the freezer and they are pretty fun to eat that way. Any thoughts on additional flavors? I’m not thrilled with my vanilla flavor so which one do you use?

Posted on February 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    1. Wendy you could add in some coconut extract, mint extract, or almond. Really any extract, start small like 1/4 – 1/2 tsp, and add more if needed. We use the brand called Singing Dog vanilla.

Posted on February 21, 2013 at 10:02 pm
  20. Would these marshmallows work for rice crispy treats?

Posted on February 22, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    1. not sure Stephanie, we will have to give it a shot sometime, but always worth a shot.

Posted on February 24, 2013 at 10:51 am
  21. omg.Pinning for later making!

Posted on March 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm
  22. Curious…. I tried these and they were huge and fluffy at 7 min so I thought to keep going for at least 3 more to make it to 10 since I hadn’t done them before but when I went back to the mixer they were flat and a little lifeless? Should I of stopped at 7???

Posted on March 4, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    1. we think so, sounds like yours came together a lot faster than ours do. so next time if it starts coming together try stopping to see what happens.

Posted on March 4, 2013 at 9:17 pm
  23. Would it be possible to use a food processor or blender for these instead of a mixer?

Posted on March 10, 2013 at 7:48 am
    1. Kate not sure how those would work.

Posted on March 10, 2013 at 9:40 am
  24. Molasses……I love molasses and have started eating a little a day. Wondering if a tbs of molasses added would work……

Posted on March 11, 2013 at 2:52 am
    1. could always give it a try.

Posted on March 11, 2013 at 8:41 am
  25. Hi there! Love your blog. I have tried to make these marshmallows today, but they have separated. Basically there is a transparent layer and the white fluffy one. Looks pretty but I am wondering what did I do wrong? Not enough whipping? I would love to master them as making broth is not very convenient for busy people, you should know. Thanks a lot for help.

Posted on March 13, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    1. either the gelatin did not get to sit together long enough (meaning adding water too soon), but usually we think when this happens is from not whipping it long enough

Posted on March 14, 2013 at 7:37 am
  26. YUM!!
    I made it with cacao added (Navitas raw powder) and a little syrup along w/stevia.
    They r setting right now but it was so good, I ate about 1/4 mixture as a mousse!!

Posted on March 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm
  27. Hi! Do you know if these would melt so I could use them to make rice krispy treats etc.? I suppose I could find out myself, but won’t have a chance to make them for a while!

Posted on March 23, 2013 at 3:02 pm
  28. I just made these! Awesome. Can I make rice krispie treats with these in place of real marshmallows?

Posted on March 26, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    1. I don’t believe these would work for making Rice Krispie treats, since there is no actual sugar in this recipe… Part of the reason marshmallows bind the crisped rice is because the sugar in the marshmallows helps bind to available water (i.e., the sugar has binding properties!).

They might work on s’mores, but I don’t think they’d melt the same way; they would still heat up and taste delicious with chocolate and graham crackers, though! 🙂

Posted on April 7, 2013 at 7:49 am
  29. Wow! I’ve been wanting to make homemade marshmallows for awhile but didn’t want all the sugar. This will be perfect! 🙂

Posted on April 14, 2013 at 6:14 pm
  30. This is great, and so clean and easy! Have you made them with the agar before? I’ve mostly seen recipes for puddings with agar, and have never played with it myself, so I’m wondering what the trick is to make it firm.

You two are awesome, thanks for all your posts, they are so inspiring!

Posted on April 20, 2013 at 9:58 am
  31. Howdy! Adore your website. We have tried to create these marshmallows these days, but they possess segregated. Basically there’s a clear coating as well as the bright cosy 1. Seems quite on the other hand feel asking yourself just what would I actually do drastically wrong? Not enough lashes? I would want to master them since producing broth is just not really hassle-free with regard to busy men and women, you need to know. Thanks for support.

Posted on April 23, 2013 at 4:40 am
  32. Cool!
    As for the gelatin…I have never made anything with gelatin before? I checked out the link to order from amazon, but do you know if I can buy something similar at a grocery or health food store?
    Cheers!
    Tara

Posted on July 16, 2013 at 10:23 pm
  33. O.M.G. My husband just had a stroke of genius. I made a batch of your marshmallows, and my husband came home and saw them and said, “So, are you going to make rice krispy treats with those marshmallows?” It was as if the heavens opened and angels sang! I made another batch of marshmallows, and I added in rice krispies during the last minute of mixing. Then, I spread it in a pan and let it set (after eating a few handfuls.) Brilliant!! I am so happy I have a healthy rice krispy treat option now!

Posted on July 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    1. awesome!! so happy to hear it 🙂 YAY!!!

Posted on July 24, 2013 at 7:23 pm
  34. Are they bonfire friendly? Aka “roastable”??

Posted on August 7, 2013 at 12:00 am
    1. ya we think so, we have not tried roasting them, but they do melt over low heat.

Posted on August 7, 2013 at 11:11 am
  35. I just tried to make your marshmallows. I thought I followed the directions… but after reading the other comments, something must have been wrong with my timing. The mixture looked like it was coming together – it got frothy and then sort of thick… but it never came close to having peaks, and I left it beating for about 30 minutes! And then when I poured it in the pan, I could hear the bubbles popping and I saw the mixture deflate. I put it in the freezer right away in an effort to salvage it somehow and then transferred to the fridge, where it’s now separated – clear on the bottom and froth on top. There’s no way it could’ve been left out at room temperature.
    Oh experts, what’s the prognosis? Did I need to whip it at a faster speed sooner? (When I raised the speed, it started splattering all over so I kept it at an 8 instead of 10.) Or did I leave it too long before mixing and adding the hot water? I had no clue it would be so finicky, but I’d love to try this again…
    Thank you!!!

Posted on September 6, 2013 at 1:42 am
  36. For those having problems with separation into vanilla “jello” and gelatin foam, I tried my first batch using a hand mixer that only had egg beaters and got exactly that disappointing result. Determined to make good marshmallows (and having wanted to upgrade the mixer for some time) I bought a Kitchenaid stand mixer and tried again…et voila !

I think I did two things wrong in the first batch. For one, I didn’t pour the heated water in slowly enough, as that is a challenge when holding the mixer with one hand. The other, I think, is that the egg beaters whipped the gelatin too vigorously but no thoroughly. The whole mixture puffed up in a couple of minutes. Since I didn’t know better yet, I just kept going for about 7 minutes, at which point the mixture had pretty much filled the bowl. So it was way too foamy from the start, and I imagine it wasn’t well mixed at the bottom. The magic Kitchenaid whip attachment does a perfect job. My second batch was great!

So, not saying you need to get a Kitchenaid, but I think you do need to be careful about pouring in the water slowly, and making sure that you are only whipping to the consistency of marshmallow creme, not meringue.

Posted on October 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm
  37. thank you ..thank you …thank you…
    I am allergic to everything….no really….corn, soy, milk, eggs, yeast…..so…YAY MARSHMALLOWS!!!!!!!!

Posted on October 14, 2013 at 10:05 pm
  38. Hi! Is there a way to make this with stevia packets instead of liquid stevia? Thanks! 🙂

Posted on October 19, 2013 at 1:48 am
    1. you can try, we are unsure of how much to use, start small and add in slowly

Posted on October 19, 2013 at 8:37 am
  39. Hi! These look really cool! I would like to make some, but we don’t have our KitchenAid (mixer) with us.

Can they be made in a blender, food processor, or by hand? Thanks!

Posted on November 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    1. not sure if they would turn out using a blender or food processor. a hand mixer would be the next best thing

Posted on November 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm
  40. How do these toast?
    Will they melt nicely?
    Also weird question… what about these gives them the “marshmallow flavor”… say I wanted this flavor in an almond milk drink? How would I get that?
    Angela

Posted on December 31, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    1. Angela they would melt pretty quickly due to that they are sugar-free. Not a weird question, but you can add marshmallow extract if you want more of a marshmallow flavor.

Posted on December 31, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  41. Due to time constraints, I will have to try this recipe with Knox gelatin, at least for the first attempt. I was wondering if anyone else had tried it again since the comment last May, and do you have any advice?

Also, do you/can you dust the marshmallows with something after so they don’t stick together? Thanks!

Posted on January 8, 2014 at 9:12 am
  42. Just a quick question. Am I supposed to refrigerate them once they are prepared or are they meant to sit the 4-5 hours uncovered at room temp?
    Thanks

Posted on January 22, 2014 at 10:35 pm
    1. we’ve done both, we do find that sometimes in the fridge they get a little soft and wet like.

Posted on January 23, 2014 at 9:49 am
      1. if you just made the marshmallows and they need to set, yes at room temperature for a few hours before you cut them.

Posted on January 23, 2014 at 9:49 am
        1. Ok I will do that next time. Last night I made my first batch and set them in the fridge. Can’t wait to see the difference this time around. Thanks so much for your reply 🙂

Posted on January 23, 2014 at 11:06 am
  43. Just one quick question: Would that be 1 1/2 cups of water total? Your other marshmallow recipes say to use a 1/2 cup of cold water then a 1/2 cup of warm water, but this one says 1/2 cup cold water and 1 cup of warm water. Is this a typo or just because of the stevia? Thank you!!

Posted on January 23, 2014 at 11:49 pm
    1. sorry it’s a typo – it is 1/2 cup of water mixed in bowl with gelatin and another 1/2 cup of water heated up. So 1 cup total. We I will make that change, thanks for letting me know.

Posted on January 24, 2014 at 7:31 am
  44. When I made them they had the right consistency but they tasted bitter and disgusting. This is my first time using liquid stevia and I almost never want to use it again! 🙁

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 8:38 am
    1. ya not everyone likes stevia, it takes awhile to get used to, you could try a different brand

Posted on February 22, 2014 at 7:23 am
  45. Can I make rice crispies with this ? And are they just as good??:/

Posted on March 22, 2014 at 11:29 pm
    1. Bliss you could give it a shot. We are unsure, as we have only made our version of it here.http://bit.ly/1d1CVpB

Posted on March 23, 2014 at 8:58 am
  46. I seriously am going to try these!! Thanks so much! I will be using stevia powder instead, though.

Posted on June 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm
  47. Has anyone tried to toast these over a fire? For, say, s’mores?

Posted on June 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm
  48. A little late to the party, but I just made these and enjoyed 5 little ones with dandelion tea right before bed. I had a bit of a sweet tooth and these totally hit that spot. I held off making them, because the mixing process seemed like it would be difficult. Low and behold these were super easy to make and delicious. I am excited to see what adding more gelatin in my diet does. I am sure it will help. I have Crohn’s disease and have been on quite a journey to see what I can handle. Like you, many fruits and veggies are out. I do not handle fructose very well, along with dairy and grains. Still on my healing journey, but seeing your journey and all your struggles and the strength you have is incredibly helpful. I love your gut friendly recipes. 🙂 Thank you so much.

Posted on August 24, 2014 at 12:14 am
    1. thank you Rebecca!! so happy to hear you liked them 🙂 xo

Posted on August 24, 2014 at 7:52 am
  49. I just made these and the mix is delicious however, my finally results didn’t look like yours the final mix wasn’t not as smooth as the one in your blog. When I tried to spread it out onto the pan with a spatula it is a little clumpy.

I stopped mixing before the 8 minutes because it was getting very thick and sticking to the beaters.

Posted on December 9, 2014 at 5:39 pm
  50. I made the sugar free marshmellows, but when i put some in the oven tosee it they would work a candied yam dish they turned to liquid. have not seen any reports on using them in the oven.do I need to add corn starch to the receipe? what went wrong?

Hazel

Posted on December 18, 2014 at 5:53 pm
    1. Hazel, we haven’t tried using them in an oven before. since they are made with stevia they have a different texture.

Posted on December 18, 2014 at 9:01 pm
  51. Just made these…..amazing! Used store brand gelatin and worked fine….may added a tad bit more vanilla next time. Next up I am going to add flavoring with a tiny bit of other extracts. I Put them in my chocolate drink (1 envelope diet swiss miss hot cocoa and 2-4 little packs of stevia. Add 3/4 cup water to blender then ingredients above. Then add enough ice to just go over the fluid level and blend. Makes a creamy yummy drink for 25 calories)

Posted on December 24, 2014 at 2:20 pm
  52. Hi trying to Make these and ive been stirring for over twenty minutes and they are not turning into marshmallows is there something you have to do if you live at high altitude? Thank you!!

Posted on March 12, 2015 at 4:11 pm
  53. My daughter was thrilled to help make these. I Ieft out the vanilla and stevia and added dried apricots that were soaked and pureed. The texture was great and my daughter devoured them. I found the flavor a little odd, I think I will try dates next time. They quickly tuned gooey when put over the fire but my daughter just pretends she is cooking them–so they were all hers. Thanks.

Posted on May 16, 2015 at 8:27 pm
  54. Have you used these in say rice crispy treats?

Posted on September 1, 2015 at 1:49 pm
    1. Not yet, we hope to play around with that soon.

Posted on September 2, 2015 at 10:49 am
  55. Has anyone tried roasting these over an open fire. I have children visiting that only eat treats with stevia.

Posted on November 15, 2015 at 1:06 pm
  56. Can any of the homemade marshmallows be roasted?:)

Posted on November 19, 2015 at 1:25 pm
    1. We have not tried them roasted, they are a bit more fragile than regular marshmallows

Posted on November 19, 2015 at 3:33 pm
  57. Wait, gelatin is healthy now? Do you know what cow skin goes through to get gelatin out of it? Lost of very intense chemicals.

Posted on January 12, 2016 at 6:09 pm
  58. these were great and so easy to make. my only regret was whipping for 8 minutes because they were overdone by then. i’d recommend 5-6 minutes if you have a strong mixer. i used a kitchenaid and mine were already forming stiff peaks by then and i should’ve taken them out!

Posted on February 15, 2016 at 12:05 pm
  59. I made this with porcine gelatin due to a beef allergy, and it turned out perfectly! For those using porcine, I’d recommend adding a little extra stevia and vanilla to hide the flavor. I’ll be sure to try it with matcha, coconut extract, and coffee. (not altogether, of course)

If someone here ever attempts to make this with agar, heat up the entire mixture and then whip it. Agar, unlike gelatin, does not “bloom” and needs to be in hot water to dissolve. I’ve never tried this myself, but I imagine it would work.

Posted on February 28, 2016 at 4:32 pm
  60. How do these toast over a campfire? Do they come out all brown and gooey, or just melt away and drop into the fire? Would like to know cause my hubby and I are trying different sugarless sweeteners. And he really misses his campfire s’mores.

Posted on July 9, 2016 at 11:13 pm
    1. Not sure they would hold up that well over a fire, but you can try.

Posted on July 10, 2016 at 5:48 pm