The best oil cleansing mix to wash face to keep acne free.

Big smiles for parsnip bread 🙂 We are thrilled to see so many of you liking our two low-carb bread recipes.  Don’t worry we still adore our plantain bread recipe but it’s nice to have variety, right?

And speaking of variety, you know we are big fans of self experimentation. We always say –> Keep playing around with things until you find what works for your body as we are all different.

Back in March of this year we shared an updated video and post on our acne face routine –> we shared how we wash our faces. We still like that routine and those products, but we wanted to see if we could get more improvements. We have been playing around with oil cleansing since January of 2013. Here Lori shares her first thoughts on oil cleansing. Both of us are so grateful for coming across using oils to help clear our acne. And then we shared how we changed our oil blend as we continued to find what routine worked for us.

Well, we experimented some more….

And in today’s purely talk we are SO excited as we are sharing a new oil cleansing method that has really improved our skin. We made this oil blend back in May, so about 3 months ago. We waited to make sure it worked before sharing it with you. Both of us are excited to share what has helped us with our skin. We cannot guarantee your skin will like it, but we really do think it could help improve it.

The best oil cleansing face wash combination to keep face acne free.

We love washing our faces with oils. Don’t worry you won’t break out when using oils on your face. Promise!

We have oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin and using oils works WONDERS for our skin.

Both of us have been cystic acne free for months and months! It’s a miracle in a way because several years ago we never would have thought we would have our acne free skin again. Nope. There were days we weren’t sure if our acne would ever go away or just STOP.

purely twins new face care routine no makeup update

But it has!

Using this new oil cleansing mixture, along with the combination of a good real foods (mostly) and a few good quality supplements, helped our acne go away. Plus controlling our stress and managing our hormones…there are a lot of factors that cause acne.

Now if we experience a pimple it is usually just one or a few very small pimples. We can totally handle those now.

We hope this new blend of oils that we  will help you with your acne or skin issues.

It has changed our faces and skin for the better! And we ONLY want the same for you!!!

clear skin DIY oil cleansing mix

The 3 oils that we used in this oil cleansing mix are some of our favorites. Oils that we have learned our skin LOVES! Hopefully yours will too!

• jojoba oil
  • rosehip oil
  • tamaru oil

We buy our oils from Mountain Rose Herbs because we love their quality. We find their products to be some of the best. We’ve never been disappointed with their products.  Remember your face soaks in everything you put on it so make sure to use high quality and safe ingredients.

Benefits of these oils and why we use them:

Jojoba oil – it has absorption properties that are similar to our skins own sebum. It tricks your pores into thinking they are already saturated with oil and therefore that they do not need to overproduce. It is made of long straight chains of wax molecules instead of triglycerides (fatty acids) like normal vegetable oils so it won’t go rancid.

Rosehip oil – has healing and anti-microbial properties. High levels of vitamins C and A. Relatively non-greasy as it soaks into the skin easily. Its antioxidant and anti-microbial properties can minimize the growth of bacteria so as to avoid different types of breakout. It has been used for generations because of its healing properties.

Tamanu oil – works by promoting the formation of new tissues. Contains anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antioxidant properties. This oil really is a miracle oil. It is thick yet absorbs easily into the skin. Rich in fatty acids. Helps reduce the appearance of scars.

Acne-free oil cleansing blend for face wash

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Total Time: 2 minutes

Yield: this bottle will last months

Acne-free oil cleansing blend for face wash

A great acne prone skin oil cleansing mix to keep skin clear. Good for sensitive and oil skin. Made with jojoba rosehip and tamanu oils.

Ingredients

Lori's blend
  • 50 % rosehip oil
  • 25% jojoba oil
  • 25 % tamanu oil
  • Michelle's blend
  • 50% jojoba oil
  • 25% rosehip oil
  • 25% tamanu oil

Directions

How to make oil blend
  1. Pour oils into 8 oz glass bottle
  2. Gently shake together.
  3. How to wash face
  4. Cleanse face with witch hazel using a cotton swap.
  5. Place about 1-2 teaspoons oil blend into hand.
  6. Massage oil into skin for a few minutes.
  7. Rinse with water.
  8. Pat dry.

bottles for oil mixture

This is why we use Mountain Rose Herbs because of their high standards for high quality products. Believe us it makes a HUGE difference.

We wouldn’t be telling you guys a bunch of crap. Because we 100% know how it feels to have acne or skin issues. We know how important quality and finding the right products are for skin health.

Check out our video sharing our new favorite way to wash our face to help control our acne!

We hope this video helps you in some way.

Maybe you will try something new.

What oils do you like to wash your face with?

Do you do the oil cleansing method to wash your face? If so, how has it helped your skin?

xo

NEW blog signature-01

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

66 thoughts on “the best oil cleansing mixture for washing our faces to stay acne free

1. Love this post! Thanks girls. You are truly starting to radiate positivity and health 🙂

Just one thing I’m confused about. Is there an oil you use called Jobola? I use Jojoba (and love it!!!)…and it is pronounced Ho-Ho-Buh

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 12:50 pm
    1. thanks Becca, sorry that was a typo we use jojoba too, we will go and fix that.

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm
  2. I use jojoba, rosehip seed oil and tamanu oil in my oil cleansing blend too! I’ll have to try adding these essential oils though. Lately I’ve been adding a few drops of tea tree oil which I like but I’m always up for experimentation 🙂

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 5:20 pm
    1. Kiersten so happy to hear that you use the same oils and enjoyed great success too 🙂 yay! this makes us so happy. And yes try the essential oils you will love them! Tea tree is great too!

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 6:05 pm
  3. VERY COOL!!!!!

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm
    1. thanks Meg!

Posted on July 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm
  4. hey girls, thanks for the great post and video. I just recently started using EO as well. Still playing with them, but seeing already some results 🙂 I add a drop of Frank oil to my moisturizer in the mornings and just massage is all over my face. I’m ordered my Geranium oil and I will make a face wash with it too. I may use Dr Bronner’s unscented mild castile soap instead of the oils. I will see. I also made face toner with witch hazel and Purify EO, so far liking it. Thanks for sharing your great results with us.

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 12:08 am
    1. Awesome Sylwia!! Br Bronners is great!! We started with that before we made our own. We still use it from to time. You will love geranium we put in out face in the morning with moisturizer!!

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 10:26 am
  5. Thanks for the info on the face wash! I wash a couple of mornings a week with coconut oil or coconut oil and sugar. I am curious, can you tell me what you mix your glutamine with? I am purchasing the powder and wondering how you like it.
    Thanks!

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 1:13 am
    1. Mimi add it to smoothies or puddings. We sometimes have taken it with just water. It has no real flavor.

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 10:27 am
      1. Thanks!

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 11:00 am
  6. So happy for you ladies!!! I KNOW how excited I would be if my face was almost perfect;D Well, following a paleo-sih diet (really a purelytwins “diet”) and natural skin cleansing have definitely helped my skin and hormones as well, now it’s just trying to control stress with a stressful job and a final year of college before..life! haha:) Anyway, so thrilled for you guys, best wishes and continued success!!

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 9:44 am
    1. Michelle 🙂 HUGS!! Good luck with stress and school. Michelle’s acne was the worst her last year in college, but you are on the right track. You are way ahead of us when we were going through it. Let us know if you ever need anything.

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 10:28 am
  7. Thanks for sharing your oil recipe! I am in love with frankincense (there’s a reason it was one of the three gifts from the Magi at Baby Jesus’ birth) and geranium and sandalwood are amazing too. I would have never thought to blend them together though and then the rosehip and tamanu probably just take it over the top!

Keep up the great work ladies! I love coming to your blog. It feels like a chat with some of my closest girlfriends. I don’t have have too many people around me that are into real, whole foods, exercise, essential oils, herbs, and natural living so thanks so much for all you do 🙂

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 10:08 am
    1. Brooke thank you for your sweet comment and we love virtual chatting with you!!! xoxo

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 10:30 am
  8. So….you cleanse with witch hazel, wash with foaming wash plus oils, then what do you use for moisturizer?? I’m a little confused with your regimen:/ but, really want to give it a try. Right now I use coconut oil…I have super sensitive skin. Thanks in advance

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 11:45 am
    1. Amber you are right – we use witch hazel first to get our makeup off, next we wash with oil blend with one pump of foaming wash. Rinse. For moisturizer we have used eminence rose one and loved it and Nerium. But lately we are trying to use just a little more oils afterwards for our moisturizer – like coconut oil, jojoba.

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 12:35 pm
      1. Super! So do you mix some jojoba and coconut oil together for moisturizer? Is there an oil you add to the moisturizer mixture?
        I’m excited to try this and think it will be great for my twin daughters, 12,who both have eczema:)

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 12:57 pm
        1. Amber no we don’t mix the two oils for our moisturizer. Lori likes coconut oil and Michelle likes jojoba for moisturizer. Sorry to hear your twin daughters have eczema, Michelle has it too. We are trying to heal it!

Posted on July 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm
  9. Hi girls! Thank you so much for posting all of this information. I’ve been struggling with some moderate/severe acne on and off for years now and ever since I came off birth control pills in November nothing seems to be working. I tried oil cleansing with just hemp oil and it did nothing. I also tried using a blend of rose hip, castor and jojoba briefly a few months ago with no success. I’m going to try Lord’s combination and cross my fingers that it at least helps. I’m a firm believer that acne needs to be healed from the inside and I’ve been following a paleo diet for 4 months now with no change in my skin. If you don’t mind me asking, what are the supplements that you are using for acne? Thank you so much!

Posted on July 29, 2014 at 6:35 pm
    1. Jessica here are more posts on supplements http://bit.ly/15s2wBm and this one might help too http://bit.ly/1605NcT Remember you still might have to modify a diet to fit your needs and body. Sorry to hear you are struggling. Don’t give up! Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Posted on July 29, 2014 at 10:17 pm
  10. Just wondering how big of a bottle you used to do the oil mixture?

Posted on September 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm
    1. Emily the bottle is 8 oz.

Posted on September 3, 2014 at 7:46 pm
  11. Hello,
    I struggle too with adult acne. I have done gluten free dairy free diets but had no relief. I use coconut oil and jojoba oils but still have acne. My skin is very dry. I think I read you have oily skin? Would this same combo work for dry skin? I desperately need healing from some scarring and dryness.

Posted on November 10, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    1. Heidi sorry to hear you suffer, but yes our blend of oils should work for dry skin. Sometimes coconut oil can be drying.

Posted on November 10, 2014 at 10:01 pm
  12. Hiya! I want to make this awesome face wash, but was curious – with the percentages that you included, i’m having a hard time telling technically how much that makes! I don’t want it to be too intense or anything, and want it to last as long as possible. Do you know what size jars you used or how many ounces you would suggest in your mixtures? Thanks!

Posted on December 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm
  13. Thanks for all the great info!! Did you ever try using castor oil to the mix?

Posted on December 15, 2014 at 12:52 am
    1. Yes we started that way, it is great but not always agrees for everyones skin.

Posted on December 15, 2014 at 9:45 am
  14. Are you guys part Syrian? Just wondering. Perhaps your skin is similar to mine being very oily and such. Thanks for the post!

Posted on December 27, 2014 at 9:56 pm
  15. Hello! I made this mixture and have been using it since Dec 29/14 and I’m starting to get little bumps on my skin… They are skin color and you can’t really see them, you can just feel them. I have got some breakouts but nothing to bad. Should I still stick with it for a little longer you think?

Posted on January 13, 2015 at 11:22 pm
    1. We still get a few breakouts, very small ones here and there. we feel it is from stress and/or lack of water on our part some days. if overall your face seems happy with it, keep using it. if you keep getting more and more breakouts, maybe try different oil combo or essential oils.

Posted on January 14, 2015 at 1:54 pm
  16. Is removing makeup necessary before using the oil cleansing method? I’m guessing no since I use jojoba to remove my make up. What about removing eye makeup, the essential oils won’t get into eyes?

Posted on March 9, 2015 at 9:56 pm
    1. we use plain coconut oil to remove our eye makeup using a face pad. It does great!

Posted on March 10, 2015 at 9:37 am
  17. I’m going to try and make this today 🙂 just received my shipment from mountain rose. Do you think Hawaiian sandalwood and regular sandalwood are interchangeable?? Also thinking of adding melaleuca:)

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 12:28 pm
    1. There are slight difference but still be okay! Yes that would be a great addition.

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 12:58 pm
  18. Also, the video link is gone. Can it be found anywhere else?

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 12:30 pm
    1. What link is missing?

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 12:59 pm
  19. the video that goes with the recipe doesn’t come up on my phone. I’ll check the computer.
    thanks for your help!!
    I’ve been taking doterras phytoestrogen hoping it compares to estroblock. Do you think they do the same thing? My hormones are all out of wack.. I thought the phytoestrogen was helping for a few months, I’ve been taking it since november and my skin cleared up but I’ve started breaking out again. (I’ve lost a lot of weight recently and everything is out of wack!) 🙁

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 2:02 pm
    1. Oh sorry about that – here is the link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUBqAtuDyE We need to update our old video codes. The breakout could be from your losing weight as it changes your hormones. We don’t know much about the phytoestrogen product, we need to look into it!

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 3:18 pm
  20. Perfect. Thank you!!
    the Phytoestrogen is supposed to balance hormones just like estroblock. Same price too except you get your points of course. 🙂
    I’m so glad I found your page! Thanks again.

Posted on March 20, 2015 at 3:27 pm
  21. the formula you said you use is a mixture of the oils 50% 25% and 25%… what does that break down to? if I were to make this for my sister. like one cup is equivalent to 50% and half cup for the 25%?

Posted on May 10, 2015 at 11:19 pm
    1. Yes!

Posted on May 11, 2015 at 9:20 am
  22. What size glass bottles are you using? I have 4 oz-ers but those look like maybe 8oz?? I’m just trying to figure out the correct ‘recipe’ and amount of essential oils to use. Thanks!

Posted on June 2, 2015 at 2:24 am
    1. Yes our bottle is 8 oz.

Posted on June 2, 2015 at 8:26 pm
  23. This looks great – I cannot wait to try it out! So in the morning you just rinse your face with water.. what about a moisturizer? Are you using the coconut/jojoba in the morning and at night?

Posted on July 13, 2015 at 3:49 pm
    1. In the morning we just rinse with water, we don’t always use a morning moisturizer as we feel using the oils at night with some more oil for moisturizer before bed is enough. But if we use a moisturizer in the morning we use either jojoba (michelle uses) and argan (lori uses).

Posted on July 14, 2015 at 9:36 am
  24. What other cleansing base would you recommend? If I dont have access to your recommendation do I need to find an alternative or can I just use the oil blend to cleanse on its own?

Posted on July 26, 2015 at 9:06 am
    1. What do you mean cleaning base?? You don’t have access to oils?

Posted on July 28, 2015 at 9:56 am
  25. Ordering some oils from mountain website just letting you girls know how Domingo about? So you girls get your %.

Posted on July 29, 2015 at 4:34 pm
    1. Thanks for the support.

Posted on July 29, 2015 at 9:40 pm
  26. HI!
    I was wondering, when you say:

50 % rosehip oil
    25% jojoba oil
    25 % tamanu oil
    15 drops geranium essential oil
    15 drops frankincense essential oil

how do you determine what 50% is? 50 % of what?

sorry. but I don’t understand.

Posted on August 28, 2015 at 2:28 pm
    1. I fill half the bottle (50%) with rosehip. The total bottle is 100, so 50 is rosehip and the other 50 I divide between the other oils. Hope this makes sense.

Posted on August 28, 2015 at 5:09 pm
  27. Hello, I just started this last night and ran into a couple questions:
    1. Do you ever use a toner after washing? Or does the witch hazel at the beginning of the routine take the place of that?
    2. Do you feel pure aloe would be a sufficient moisturizer?
    Thanks!

Posted on September 18, 2015 at 12:44 pm
    1. no we never use a toner after washing – just before with the witch hazel.
      you can always try pure aloe – we didn’t notice great results with it,but maybe your skin would do better

Posted on September 21, 2015 at 7:31 am
      1. Thank you! My skin is adjusting but already feeling better.

Posted on September 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm
        1. Glad to hear that!

Posted on September 22, 2015 at 5:15 pm
  28. I couldn’t really gather from the post or comments the answer for this question: what is the main difference in the two recipes? That is, why is one preferred over another? Was it just trial-and-error and what each of you preferred more? I’m leaning toward trying Michelle’s blend since it using more jojoba oil, but thought I would check if there’s something more that I may not be considering.

Posted on October 23, 2015 at 10:59 am
    1. The main difference is Michelle uses more jojoba oil than Lori.

Posted on October 23, 2015 at 1:00 pm
      1. In the video, you mentioned that you were going to use a pump bottle instead of the “swig” method. Did you ever do this? If so, did it work in a pump bottle similar to a normal soap dispenser? Just curious. 🙂 Excited to try this as soon as my oil shipment comes in!

Posted on October 26, 2015 at 12:49 pm
        1. Yes we use a pump, not a foaming pump, but a regular hand soap pump.

Posted on October 26, 2015 at 10:15 pm
  29. How many drops of the oils do you guys use???

Posted on January 10, 2016 at 4:21 pm
    1. about a total of 30 drops; 15 drops of each essential oil.

Posted on January 13, 2016 at 1:27 pm
  30. Does this also work for black heads? I used to use Mary Kay but since I can’t afford it anymore I don’t have anything that seems to work.. my face does get extremely oily at times .

Posted on March 8, 2016 at 7:27 am
    1. We are not sure, but would think it would help.

Posted on March 8, 2016 at 11:46 pm
  31. I love the oil cleansing method! My skin gets along really well with sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil. And tea tree is still my favorite essential oil to fight acne. Great post!

Posted on June 1, 2016 at 3:56 pm