A day in the life with a 14 week old

by purelytwins

I have always wanted to do a post like this and I finally got around to doing it. I always enjoyed reading other moms day in the life’s post with their kids. I have done a few daily videos before, but today I am doing what happens almost hourly. I hope you enjoy seeing what my day is like with Madison at 14 week old.

I have been trying to create a routine around here but to be honest that has been tough. Some days are pretty close to the routine but other days… not even close! Please note not all my days are like this with Madison. It really depends on a lot of different factors.

Now you can read what it is like for a work at home (mumpreneur) mom is like with a 14 week old baby girl. This was our day yesterday. 


This face! xoxo

A day in the life with a 14 week old

1:42am: I start to hear Madison making noise through the baby monitor. Okay really she is talking or “screeching” like her grandpa likes to call it. It’s almost like she is having a conversation with herself. I just love it. So I get up and head over to her room. I nurse her. She is back in bed by 1:56am.  I walk back to my room and stare at the monitor for a few minutes before closing my eyes. I can be a paranoid mom sometimes.

3:25am: I start to hear Madison again. I am thinking no way I just nursed you? It was her paci that fell out. I get back up and put her paci back in. She goes right to sleep. And so do I. This time in the bedroom right next door to hers (our guest bedroom).

6:30am: My alarm goes off on phone. I turn it off and debate if I want to sleep more or not. I ponder this for almost 5 minutes. I finally get myself up and start doing my core reconditioning exercises to help close my ab separation. You can find more about it here.


6:40am: I am only able to do just 3 exercises before I hear Madison making noises. Crap I should have gotten up sooner so I could have done more exercises. I head over to check on her and her eyes are wide open. Again doing her “talking” noises. I smile. She smiles. My heart melts.  Side note: I am trying to wake her up at 7am as I want that to be her normal time to wake-up for the day so this was a little bit earlier than I was hoping for.

I un-swaddle her. Change her diaper. And put her essential oils on her feet. I have two roll-ons that I use on her. One is coconut oil with one drop on-guard to fight away germs. Second is filled with jojoba oil and one drop lavender and one drop roman chamomile to help calm her and it also helps with any tummy issues.  I leave her in her PJs for now. And this is when she gets to see her daddy. Gary comes into the room and plays with her for a few minutes before he has to get ready for work. I quickly go get ready for the day.


And I quickly snap a selfie. Tried to do my hair but left it messy waves look.

7am: Time to nurse her again. After nursing we play a little and auntie Michelle is there too. Michelle continues to play with Madison as I go do a few more core reconditioning exercises.


7:30am: Madison starts to show signs that she is still tired by being a little cranky. So I put her back to sleep in her crib.

Michelle and I head downstairs to clean kitchen, drink warm water, and take all our supplements.

8:10am: Decide what to do for breakfast. We make our coconut oil protein mush.


8:15am: Madison is now up for the day.


She always has her hands in her mouth. I am ready for this phase to be over 😉

 I change her diaper and dress her into her outfit for the day.

diffuser-in-nursery copy

Plus I start her diffuser of more doterra on-guard to clean the air.  Then we head back downstairs.


8:30am: Realize I can’t wear my hair down (Madison grips it and it hurts) so the hair goes up. And Madison gets a bib on as she drools and spits often.  Luckily Michelle is making up coffee. Coffee always makes things better.


All three of us head to the table. Michelle works on blog post as I play with Madison while we both enjoy our coffee.


9:40am: Madison takes her morning nap.

10:39am:  She is up. I am pleased as that has been one of her longest morning naps in a long time. Usually she just does 20-30 minute cat naps! So I am thrilled she slept longer.

10:40am: Time to nurse her and change diaper.

tummy time copy

11am: Michelle and I do a quick workout while Madison watches us.  Followed by tummy time and attempting to trim Madison’s nails. I was only able to do one hand as she got fussy.


11:30am:  Story time and more play time.

11:50am: I start her next nap relaxation time. It takes Madison a long time to fall asleep so I am realizing I have to start the soothing process early to hopefully bypass any crying.

As I am getting Madison to nap my nanny (aka Michelle) is making our lunch.


12:20pm: Madison is sleeping for her nap. I head to the table to eat lunch! A simple juice and egg coconut cake.

12:54pm: She is up from her nap!!! #$%! I was hoping for a long nap but no. Another short cat nap. Tired fussy baby. Fun.

1pm: I nurse her. She is happy again.


As we read stories Jax joins us to de-fuzz his toy and get the fuzz all over Madison’s room. Such a nice big brother.

1:15-2pm: We have playtime. Michelle and I also make some recipes while Madison watches. And have more story time.


2pm: I begin her afternoon nap process. This is the nap I dread the most because she always wakes up 30 minutes after sleeping and is crying. It usually takes AWHILE to calm her down. I know she is crying because she is still tired.

2:25pm: Madison is napping in her crib.

2:44pm: She is awake crying.  I go get her and sit in rocker to hold her in my arms.

2:56pm: She is back to sleep. She finishes her nap sleeping on me. My arm usually goes numb and about to fall off after a few minutes, but I push through as I don’t want to move her now that she is calm and sleeping. I have tried before putting her back into the crib to finish this nap… only to be unsuccessful. I hope she falls asleep on her own. Nope. Not yet.


 Michelle helps pick up nursery and make up more wipes. Such a nice aunt!

4:15pm: She wakes up from napping on me. I nurse her and change diaper.


4:30pm: Snack time for me.  After I grab a quick snack it is more tummy time and play time. And a dirty diaper from Madison and lovely BM one too!  Madison gets a diaper change and luckily no explosion so no outfit change. Yay!


She loves her new toys that she got at Christmas.



Kisses from big brother.

The rest of the evening Michelle and I play with Madison and read more to her.

5:50pm: Head upstairs to start night time routine. It was a no bath night so I let her have some nakey time. She loves this time.

6pm: I start to oil her up and massage her. I put more essential oils on her feet. And get her diffuser going with doterra’s breathe and serenity. Next I put her over night cloth diaper on and her PJ. And begin to read her a bedtime story. We do not finish the story as Madison started crying. Thankfully Michelle was walking in with the bottle!

6:15: Madison gets a bottle. She has 3oz of the 4oz bottle with breast milk. She finishes the bottle around 6:35pm. She kept falling asleep while eating. *Note: I try to give her a bottle at night so I know how much she is getting before bed. I like knowing she is going to bed with a full belly. I am weird like that. Also, this is when Gary or Michelle get to bond with her while they give her the bottle.


6:43pm: She is fast asleep in her crib and down for the night.

6:50pm: I head downstairs to pump while Michelle get dinner ready. And Gary arrives home. We chat about the day and have dinner.

7:30pm: Michelle and I head back upstairs to our office area to do work.

10pm: I pump again to keep my milk supply good. I make up some calm and eat some lactation cookies.

10:30pm-midnight: Back at the computer to work on blog post, emails, design new workouts for club, discuss my post partum update and other projects. Madison’s paci falls out usually 2 times during the evening while I work where I go and put in back in. She goes right back to sleep.

11:42pm: Her paci falls out again, she moves around and moans. I put it back in and head back to computer to finish blog post.

I sometimes do more core exercises before hitting the sack after midnight. But not last night.

11:55pm: I head to bed. The end.

And then the whole process starts all over again.

So there you have it! This was a pretty standard day as far as naps, playing, work, etc, but each day varies on the times and other activities like if we go over to Michelle’s house to film. Like on Wednesday Madison was pretty fussy all day long and wasn’t napping! It was a rough day, I ended up crying that night. Hormones are still crazy with stirring up emotions, especially on days where Madison seems to be fussier than normal.

Overall my days go by so fast. I haven’t slept for longer than 4 -5 hours in months. Even though Madison is sleeping longer stretches at night, that is the only time I can do work with Michelle. So I stay up late each night working. I hope I can get more sleep soon. I am getting nervous about the 4 month sleep regression I hear about. I guess I might be a zombie again. Maybe Madison will by pass that part 😉

Busy mom, but I love it. I love being a mom. I think we are slowly getting into a groove which is wonderful. I really enjoyed writing this post and documenting my new life with a baby. I love these kind of post (guess I am nosy like that), but as a new mom it is always nice to see how other moms days are like.

Do you like day in the life post? What is your day typically like?

Is it cold in your area? It is freezing here so we haven’t been doing our daily walks. I miss them. Hopefully it warms up here soon!

Other day in the life vlogs with Madison:

2 week vlog

5 weeks

6 weeks



NEW blog signature-01


You may also like


Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 9, 2015 - 10:23 am

Super busy! I’m sure it does go by fast! Her sweet face makes it worth it, I’m sure 😉 XOXO

purelytwins January 9, 2015 - 2:18 pm

oh yes it does Rebecca 🙂 xo

Holly January 9, 2015 - 1:52 pm

I loved reading your day in the life post! I have a now 3 yr old boy and this really brings me back to how hard those early days were. (and makes me question my desire to have another one, ha!) I’m very impressed that you are able to work and not fall down from exhaustion. I was on maternity leave for 4 months and I was lucky if I changed out of my pjs, but we lived far away from family and my husband worked 12-14 hr days.

One thing that I found helped with my terrible napper, was moving him into a room with blackout curtains and a noise machine. I was able to get him to sleep 2-3x longer than he used to. Just a thought!

Looking forward to reading more day in the life posts in the future!

purelytwins January 9, 2015 - 2:19 pm

I live in PJ’s most days 🙂 My husband works long hours too. Good idea with the blackout curtains!

Cait January 10, 2015 - 10:07 pm

I second the blackout curtains notion. Reading Elizabeth Pantley’s “The No-Cry Nap Solution” I’m realizing that naps less than about 35 minutes typically happen because something in their environment could be more welcoming for sleep. Check out the book, it talks about sleep cycles too–very enlightening!

purelytwins January 11, 2015 - 8:47 am

thanks I will do that!

Meri January 9, 2015 - 4:43 pm

Oh, yes I remember those early months. All you’re doing is taking care of a child. Even though we love our kids to death, I found it pretty hard and missed my freedom. But things do get better with time. As for the 4 months sleep regression, it didn’t happen for us and many other people we know. That’s when our son slept for stretches of 6 to 8 hours! Hopefully, yours will get to sleep a long night at that stage too! Thank you for sharing. You are extremely strong to be working on your business at the same time! I don’t know how you do it and I’m truly inspired by it.

purelytwins January 9, 2015 - 5:31 pm

Thank you!!! And thank you for sharing about the sleep regression…fingers crossed!

Kim January 9, 2015 - 8:07 pm

What a cutie she is!!! I’m glad that you have Michelle around during the day – so nice to have company/help when you have a baby!!!

Karalee Bechtol January 9, 2015 - 10:26 pm

LOVE your blog. Just FYI. There is a ton of information out there are not using certain essential oils with babies due to them being dangerous. Ingredients in On Guard are on the do not use list. I’ve included two articles that have pretty good lists.

I don’t know how you came to use Doterra oils…but there are a few other good companies out there. I love Doterra, but find them far too expensive. I just buy a couple of blends from them I love that I can’t get anywhere else. I also buy a couple of blends from Young Living…even though they are also quite expensive (due to both being multi level marketing companies.) For all my other oils I use the company Plant Therapy.
There is an independent company that does blind tests on all the big EO companies regularly…unfortunately I could not find that link as quick as I hoped. But they test the purity and quality and have found no difference between the more expensive oils and the cheaper ones. This link below has a pretty good list though of the recommended oil companies. I mention Plant Therapy to you though because they have a formula with the same ingredients as On Guard called Germ Fighter. But then they also have a germ fighting blend that is safe for children called Germ Destroyer.
Just want the best for your little sweetie pie.

purelytwins January 10, 2015 - 2:40 pm

thanks but right now I am very pleased with DoTerra 🙂

Karalee Bechtol January 9, 2015 - 10:30 pm Reply
Nancy January 10, 2015 - 7:58 am

Just wanted to let you know that it is much easier to cut the baby’s nails while they are sleeping!

purelytwins January 10, 2015 - 2:40 pm

thanks I will have to give it a try!


Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More