Struggling with working out during the holidays

Last week in our newsletter we talked about our personal struggle with working out during the holidays. Many of you replied back saying thank you and appreciated our honesty because you are struggling too.

You are not alone.

purelytwins-working-out-during-holiday-vlog

As personal trainers this is hard for us to not only to talk about but admit to ourselves. These past few weeks months our workouts have been a little nonexistent.

Crazy for us to sit back and think about.

We never thought this would happen to us.

We remember our second older sister, Jen, who was a former bodybuilder, tell us –“Just you wait. There will be a time in your life when your career takes over. Or something else happens and you somehow get out of the routine of working out. And before you know it days go by…then weeks.” At that moment we were like, “No way. We love working out too much to never have time for it.”

And here we are telling you guys we have lost our workout mojo.

We are still active with our daily walks and playing with Jax and Madison. But actually “working out” has been very limited.

We promised each other when we got home for Christmas we would get up every morning to workout.

Well, we have been home almost a week and we have yet to get up. We both sleep instead.

Maybe it’s from the lack of sleep…Lori with a newborn and most recently working very late nights for weeks on our new projects. We are not here to make excuses. We just needed to talk about this in a place we knew we could. A place where we would get support and love 🙂

Click to watch on youtube.

Now that it is out in the open we are ready to just let it go.

It is what it is.

We will keep finding time to be active when we can during the holiday. That is what we want you to do too.

Maybe you are struggling like us to workout. We suggest you find little movements throughout your day to keep you moving. Maybe that’s by standing more, cleaning the house or taking short  walks here and there.

Even though we are not actually working out we aren’t just sitting around doing nothing. Nope. This is not about being lazy, but being honest with ourselves. Our plan is to move when we can. And we know that 2015 will be a great year for us to get back in shape. Will you join us? We are excited for the new year!

What do you struggle with the most during the holidays? How do you fit in staying active during the holidays?

Have you lost your workout mojo before?  How did you get it back?

What are you looking forward to in the new year?

xo

If you’re new to Purely Twins join our tribe and get updates:

Pinterest – purelytwins

Instagram – @purelytwins and @purelytwinsfitness

Snapchat – loriandmichelle

Youtube – purelytwins and pure2rawtwins

Facebook – purelytwins

Please note that affiliate links may pop up on PT occasionally. When you click and purchase we receive a small percentage. This allows us to keep blogging! We greatly appreciate your support!

eatlifead

purelyfitlife-blogad

amanda jewell December 23, 2014 - 11:24 am

I just posted about this on my IG account! I totally fell out of love with exercise and did nothing for 10 days. Sometimes, you just have to give your body what it needs even if it goes against your mind thinks it needs. Also, I posted about how a rigorous recent study found that sleep deprivation (6 hours or less a night + waking up frequently) was found to increase the likelihood of microfarcts in the brain that are associated with dementia. Basically, sleep > exercise. Keep listening to your body and the exercise will come when your body needs it more.

purelytwins December 23, 2014 - 1:35 pm

Glad we are not alone! Although it has been longer than 10 days for us haha. But yes sleep is more important 😉

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves December 23, 2014 - 12:40 pm

LOVE this, Lori and Michelle! Thank you for being so open and honest. Even the fittest need long periods of rest and recovery!
I love doing your workouts during the holidays because they require little time and space, but walking is sometimes the only activity I can get in for the day, and that’s okay. Baking, doing chores, and playing with my little cousins also keep me moving, and I just try to remember to stay thankful for the ability to move in the first place.
You two are beautiful and awesome, and I hope you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

purelytwins December 23, 2014 - 2:48 pm

Thank you for your sweet comment and support!! We love walking.

Marie @kindinside.com December 23, 2014 - 2:34 pm

Girls, thank you for sharing this. Thank you for telling me that I’m not alone. I’m so excited for all the growing in the business area though.. that’s awesome news! As well as baby girl’s growth 🙂

I think it’s very common to experience these periods of mojo-loss. And especially during this time of the year. I have one myself to be honest and have been having it for quite some time actually.

But I know you girls will get it back… JUST YOU WAIT! 😉 (and hope I’ll get mine too…)

I wish you both and your family a Merry Christmas, may all your wishes come true <3

purelytwins December 23, 2014 - 2:49 pm

Together we will get it back 🙂

Alison Phillips December 23, 2014 - 6:35 pm

If you two went on into infinitum working out every single day like automatons, THEN I’d be concerned, because no human being with any sort of life has that kind of time. Things happen, things that take a priority over your workout and not because it’s not important, but because there’s a lot more to life and it’s enjoyment than setting that time aside sometimes. The fact that you stay busy is enough, the only time you should concern yourselves is if you can look in the mirror after a long day and ask yourself if you feel guilty for having missed it. If you don’t, then no worries.. life’s meant to be savored while we’re here, and you two remain an inspiration there in every way.

purelytwins December 23, 2014 - 7:31 pm

thanks you Alison for the sweet words and you are right – life is meant to be savored!

lindsay December 23, 2014 - 10:15 pm

oh i so get this! the only way i am really working out is because I have to teach. otherwise i think i’d just hike and do yoga. Which is also sometimes really NEEDED. rest! and gentle exercise. xxoo

Michelle December 24, 2014 - 10:02 am

You girls always say the right things at the right times! Over the past week-week and a half I’ve been the same way- keeping active; a lot of walking, going up and down stairs, and mini-things like a minute of planking before bed…but not too much in the way of hardcore workouts. I’ve been trying to just enjoy time with my family, as I’m sure you guys are too! It’s extremely hard for me to be “ok” with less movement, but I’m working on letting my body tell me what it needs to do.
Lots of LOVE and HAPPINESS to y’all!!