5 lessons I want to teach my daughter

I have a daughter. It’s changed everything.

My little girl is almost 8 weeks old and there are some valuable life lessons I want her to learn from my mistakes.

5 lessons I want to teach my daughter love her body never stop dreaming

5 lessons I want to teach my daughter about life.

1. Love her body.

Being a mom I know “how I look at my body” will reflect over to Madison. Michelle and I both used to struggle with body image, but we are both so proud of our bodies now. We are older and wiser I guess.  We realize there is more to life than looking like the girls on magazines. I will help Madison find her beauty within and remind her every day she is beautiful and she is loved.

momanddaughter-lessons-about-life

2. Do not “diet”.

I do not want her to make some of the mistakes I have made with falling into the traps of the latest diet or trend. Teach her about food and where it comes from and let her find what foods she likes. Help her find a balance diet that will help her thrive every day.

lessons-to-teach-daughters

3. Don’t worry about what other people think of her.

Now that I am older and wiser I have learned what others think does not matter as you cannot please everyone. I will help her learn to face negative people with an open heart and let it go. Or maybe Madison will be teaching me how to do this. Either way I will help Madison to always follow her heart and don’t let naysayers bring her down.

laughing-baby-and-mom-enjoying-life

4. Be happy. Be open and kind. Do not judge others.

Michelle and I wake every day and remind ourselves we have the choice to be happy or not. We choose happiness! Saying daily affirmations and doing some meditation (well we need to get back into this routine) helps us stay happy and positive about life. I want Madison to have an open heart towards everyone she meets. The world can be a nasty place but kindness and love is all we need to overcome it. I want her to treat everyone with kindness as everyone has their story.

newborn-photos-mom-daughter-picture

5. Never stop believing in her dreams.

I am beyond grateful for my parents for always supporting me no matter what crazy thing came out of my mouth. They always encouraged my sisters and me to do what we want and they always were there when we needed them. I plan to do the same for Madison. I believe in her and will stand behind everything she does. I will remind her every day that no dream is too big if she never stops believing.

For all the parents out there, what lessons do you want to teach your children. Leave me a comment!

NEW blog signature-01

If you’re new to Purely Twins join our tribe and get updates:

Pinterest – purelytwins

Instagram – @purelytwins

Youtube – purelytwins

Facebook – purelytwins

Heather @ fit mama real food November 20, 2014 - 9:32 am

I love this! Agree 100% with all of them.

purelytwins November 20, 2014 - 1:58 pm

Caitlin November 20, 2014 - 10:12 am

that’s a great list, lori!

purelytwins November 20, 2014 - 1:59 pm

RH November 20, 2014 - 10:37 am

“…and remind her everyday she is beautiful and she is loved.”

That is lovely, but do you think that by telling her every day that she is beautiful will only reinforce in her the importance society places on beauty and perfection for women? If it were me, I’d also tell her every day how brilliant or imaginative she is. Those are compliments women rarely hear.

purelytwins November 20, 2014 - 2:00 pm

Yes of course, this was just some things I want to teach her 🙂 I will always be reminding her she is strong, brilliant, etc.

sophie November 20, 2014 - 12:02 pm

Lovely list.
It’s amazing what young girls learn from their moms…
Mothers think that they are being humble by staring at themselves in the mirror and commenting on how much they hate their thighs or how big their tummy is – but all little girls hear is “Oh, I’m a female – I’m supposed to hate my body, I’m supposed to put it down, I have to diet”. It would be awesome if mothers (even if it’s HARD) could look at themselves and say, “I’m a lovely woman – I’m intelligent, I’m capable, I’m witty, etc.” – so that little girls can grow to appreciate themselves… (while remaining humble and not boastful, of course)
It’s amazing too…we think our children learn how to love based on how we treat THEM…but often times, they learn how to love based on what they see us do – how we love our husbands, for example. It’s so important not let our connection with our husband wither away when we have a baby. Seeing the love between parents…THAT will teach them love – if they SEE it (and feel it, of course, but that’s a given because you are amazing – both of you are!)
This baby is going to be just fine with you two ladies in her life <3

purelytwins November 20, 2014 - 2:01 pm

Thank you! You’re so sweet!

Kara November 20, 2014 - 12:13 pm

This is wonderful! As a teenage daughter, I can tell you that you have a BIG influence on your daughter that only a mother has. These are great things to pass down to Madison. I love the pictures – so cute! 😀

purelytwins November 20, 2014 - 2:01 pm

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables November 20, 2014 - 4:29 pm

I love this!!! 🙂 and I’m so lucky that I had a wonderful mother who passed a lot of these things on to me!

Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine November 20, 2014 - 5:51 pm

What a special relationship– mom and daughter. I am sure you will pass all those lessons onto Madison.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! November 20, 2014 - 6:27 pm

I have to agree with all of those! I often think about what I want to teach my Belle and one thing I would add to your already fabulous list would be to not stress what you can’t control and work hard on what you can. As a big stress ball myself, I want to teach her that some things you just have to leave in God’s hands.

purelytwins November 20, 2014 - 9:17 pm

Yes! agree 😉

Lan December 1, 2014 - 12:36 pm

Beautiful lessons, brought tears to my eyes. Madison is so lucky to have you two and such a positive environment to grow up with. Love your site and all the gluten free recipes 🙂

Laura December 1, 2014 - 4:46 pm

Awesome list, definitely think these are basic things everyone should know, but so few do. Although I think you forgot to add ‘a killer squat form’ to the list 🙂

purelytwins December 1, 2014 - 5:34 pm