How to cloth diaper a 3 week old newborn

I can’t believe it has been just over 3 weeks since Madison came into our life!!

You were right when telling me that time will fly by and that things will get better. Because slowly things are getting better around here.

Madison still has her nights and days mixed up, but there have been a few nights where she sleeps. Those nights are amazing.  It’s funny what I think about with a crying newborn at 2am. I catch myself googling why my newborn is crying? What can I do help her?

I then catch myself comparing what I am doing to what other’s are doing. I am trying to cut back on reading things on the internet and just listen to my motherly instincts and  focus on what Madison needs because each baby is different!

One thing Michelle and I always mention here on the blog about health and fitness – one thing might work for you but might not work for someone as we are all different. We all have to find what works for purely us! Life with a newborn is no different. I have to figure out what works for Madison and me.

how-cloth-diapering-three-week-old-newborn-is-going-purelytwins

I am loving cloth diapers! I can’t get over how much I am really enjoying it.

How to cloth diaper a 3 week old newborn.

Click here to watch on youtube.

I hope I answered all your questions or thoughts when it comes to cloth diapers.

I am surprised how much I am loving them. I have realized that cloth diapering isn’t scary. It’s actually easy.

I wash her cloth diapers once a day, which I don’t mind.

newborn-first-time-cloth-diapers-purelytwins

First day home with Madison and trying out cloth diapers for the first time.

I am still figuring out which brands and styles I really, really LOVE.  I plan to try out a few more brands to see if I like them better compared to what I have. Sloomb cloth diapers is one brand I am thinking about purchasing to test out. Do you have any other brand recommendations?

One thing I do know is that I love the prefolds! Right now they probably are my favorite as they are so easy. Easy to put on. Easy to clean. The all-in-one cloth diapers I like as well but they take longer to clean and dry. But they are easy too!

My favorite prefolds are the ones from green mountain diapers for cloth diapering.

how-to-cloth-diaper-a-three-week-newborn-update-on-brands-and-how-to-clean-cloth-diapers-purelytwins

When did we start using cloth diapers?

My journey with cloth diapering started as soon as we brought Madison home from the hospital.  At the hospital we used Honest diapers and decided to wait to use cloth once we were home.

dirty-cloth-diapers-pail-purelytwins

I am actually not a huge fan of this diaper pail. I think using a trash can with a lid would be better. I am thinking of changing soon.

I actually have a new diaper pail liner compared to what I mentioned last time. I had to look for ones that were fragrance free for Michelle. And luckily Grovia had one!

For the Green Mountain workhorse for newborn I am not a huge fan of these. I love how well they fit her but not a huge fan of the diaper itself.

I love the Thirsties diaper covers, both the velcro and buttons.

For the all-in-ones from Simplex and Bum Genius I do like them both. The new born simplex ones fit her great!  They are super easy to use but take forever to get completely dry. This one also did stain on me. But like I mentioned in the video this pre-spray really helps get rid of the poo stains.  I like the Bum Genius all-in-ones but they are big on her. I think once she is a little bigger they will fit her great.

cloth-baby-wipes-for-cloth-diapering

Laundry detergent for cloth diapers?

I am using and loving Charlie’s liquid soap.

How many loads of laundry are you doing?

I wash the cloth diapers once a day. I did not buy a lot so that is why I am washing every day.

What is your favorite cloth diaper?

Green mountain prefolds with Thirsties covers.

How many cloth diapers should I get?

That depends on how much laundry you want to do. Here is how many cloth diapers I bought.

cloth-diapers-drawer-folded-and-ready-for-use-on-newborn-purelytwins

My cloth diaper drawer where I try to always have cloth diapers stuffed and ready to go!

If you have any more questions about cloth diapers please leave a comment below.

I will continue to give updates and reviews on any cloth diapers I use.

Here’s another post about cloth diapers:

Cloth diapers 101 for new moms

Share your purely thoughts:

What brand of cloth diapers do you like? What do you like most about cloth diapers?

How do you travel outside your home with cloth diapers? Any tips for me.

If you use disposable, would you ever consider using cloth diapers?

xo

NEW blog signature-01

laura October 21, 2014 - 12:35 pm

Good to know cloth diapering is so accessible! Seems kind of scary to me 😛

Michelle, you have to read this if you haven’t already stumbled upon it! Keep fighting girl, and try other dermatologists if your current one runs out of ideas.

purelytwins October 21, 2014 - 1:05 pm

thanks Laura

Steph October 21, 2014 - 1:38 pm

Thank you for sharing! You are doing great!

purelytwins October 21, 2014 - 5:24 pm

Thank you!

Lisa October 21, 2014 - 3:12 pm

I’m loving cloth too! I liked prefolds when babe was tiny and now love the all-in-ones. I have mostly bum genius elemental and blueberry diapers (the cotton ones with snaps). I ended up not using a diaper pail at all but instead use a wet bag. I have two—I hang it up and every morning I dump the diapers along with the bag into the washer—so easy! A great tip someone gave me was to line dry the poopy stained diapers outside—even if it’s not sunny the UV rays get rid of all the stains!
Glad you’re having such a great time with Madison—it’s the best thing ever!

purelytwins October 21, 2014 - 5:25 pm

Thanks for the tip!!

Cristina Parus October 21, 2014 - 4:33 pm

Hello dear¡

Thanks for sharing with us¡ I have a question…..you may have answered this one before. It;s about Madison. I suppose you are not going to vaccinate her…or are you? I;m curious on what are your views regarding vaccination. I know I;m not going to vaccinate my child, but I would really love to hear from a raw vegan¡

Thanks so much,
Cristina

Kara October 21, 2014 - 5:42 pm

Hi Girls! Lori, I really like the G diaper system. I use the cloth inserts at home and the flushable or biodegradable disposable inserts on the go. I also use prefolds and covers. My daughter is 6 months old and we recently discovered that a bumgenius aio diaper with an additional prefold stuffed inside doesn’t leak all night even while breastfeeding multiple times. Hope this helps! Congrats on Madison she is beautiful!

purelytwins October 21, 2014 - 7:36 pm

thanks Kara!! Yes this is helps me, I will make a note of the bumgenius aio .

CARLA October 22, 2014 - 7:49 am

oh my heart.
this is all so so so so so so sweet.

purelytwins October 22, 2014 - 10:47 am

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 22, 2014 - 8:57 am

I’m using disposable nappies at the moment, but my eyes have been opened recently to cloth nappies and their benefits. Thanks for sharing you own experiences with them!

purelytwins October 22, 2014 - 10:48 am

You will love them!

Morgan October 22, 2014 - 7:55 pm

We love cloth diapering even at 20 months ( although we are working on no diapering right now!) I use the bum genius all in ones since he was a newborn, but we were given a lot of disposables so we used those up first. The all in ones started fitting well when he got to 14 pounds ( which won’t take long!) Definitely let the stained ones dry in the sun, it’s amazing how it gets the stains out ( until they start solids but you’ve got awhile) You can also put a liner in the all in ones to use them like a prefold. It’s bulky but it helps if you ever get behind on laundry. Keep up the great work!

Erin d. October 27, 2014 - 9:25 am

My baby boy is 8 weeks old and we are using fuzzibunz one size elite. We love them and even my husband thinks they are easy! They are super soft, durable and I love that they will fit him until potty trained! We got fuzzibunz xs diapers for when he was a newborn…and he outgrew those quickly! He’s EBF and over 13 lbs already!

emily November 27, 2014 - 9:56 am

Cloth diaper at first is something to get used too and you’ll find diff ways and things you’ll like better. Cloth ezz are great the small fit my son up till recently and got the mediums which fit perfect and he’s 24 lbs and 34 inch tall he’s 14 months. They wash n hold up great. I like diaper safari covers they are really nice and the legs just now are slightly to tight for him so we use bunnies diaper covers and economic bummer. I have aio that I used at nap time for 9 months but now I just prefer the insert and cover its easier to me. Sun diaper as much as you can it makes them last longer and brightens them. For going out I like the grovia disposal inserts and you can just get a small wet bag or plastic bag for dirty diapers on the go. Now we use disposals for nap time and bed time because it’s just easier and no leaks. But that’s only 2 disposals a day and I’m happy with our system. Just do whatever is best for you 3 and You’re doing great so far. Like your diaper pail. Your an inspiration to a lot of women, so thank you.

Irina Johnson December 1, 2014 - 6:21 am

Hey, cloth diapers are certainly good for babies. Since it is comfortable and easy to wash.

Priyanka Kamble February 24, 2015 - 2:43 am

Thanks for sharing with us¡

Irina Johnson April 1, 2015 - 3:09 am

Thank you for the information. It is really very helpful for me.

Angela j January 6, 2016 - 9:22 pm

Hey! Loved the video very informative! I’m also a first time mom, due in 3 weeks and am planning to cloth diaper, I have mostly aio and after reading some comments and watching your video I wonder if they’ll be too big for her for the first month or so? Do you recommend buying newborn or small sized cloth diapers for the first few months? Also, I love the cloth warmer, what brand is it? and what brand do you use to wipe her with?
Thanks!

purelytwins January 9, 2016 - 8:41 pm

You might be able to use just AIO at the beginning, but buying a few newborns might be a great start. Prince Lionheart Warmies Wipes Warmer is the brand I got for the cloth warmer. I got off from Amazon.

Leslie January 7, 2016 - 1:12 am

Hi, Im in Australia (stating just in case they are very common in US) and I was just wondering what the rectangle box is in the pictures? Looks like maybe a wipe holder?? If it is can you let me know what it is as I would love one if I have another baby!!

purelytwins January 9, 2016 - 8:41 pm