First week with my Madison

Hey luvs,

Cannot believe Madison will be one week old tomorrow.

It feels like yesterday we were bringing her home.

I am going to be honest here…things have been good but also rough. This first week home with Madison has been the most rewarding yet challenging week of my life. There have been plenty of smiles, kisses and hugs with some tears throughout the nights. This postpartum period definitely has its ups and downs. But it is all worth it.

sleeping-baby-madison

I wanted to get this blog post up this morning, but due to Jax getting sick, Madison not sleeping much at night and getting Gary ready for work today I have learned that things will happen when they happen. I have to be selective with my time. Motherhood is a lot of work, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything!!!

first-week-update-with-new-baby

First week with a newborn update from the whole fam

How are the nights?

Not great. I am up pretty much the entire night with Madison. With most newborn babies they tend to be more awake at night compared to during the day. Madison usually has her ‘fussy’ time between 9-11pm.  I know we will get through these sleepless nights soon. Although last night her fussy period was around 2 am until 4 am. I am grateful for the help Gary and Michelle have been during the night when I need them.  Not going to lie – these past nights have been rough. I am looking forward to when things become more routine.

new-mom-nursing-6-day-old-baby-girl

How is breastfeeding going?

At first it was a little rocky. I didn’t realize how much breast feeding would hurt in the beginning. My milk came in the day we arrived home from the hospital.

At the hospital Madison did great with latching on but never nursed for very long, and that pattern continued when we arrived home. She usually latches on great but doesn’t stay awake very long while nursing. I do everything that people recommend to keep her awake.  We are constantly tickling her, talking to her, acting like we are changing her diaper and burping her. Usually we have to do all that in order to get her to wake up. I must say this has been the hardest part about being a mom so far.

Breastfeeding is very tiring and a lot of work. Not only does it make me extremely thirsty and hungry (I am eating 2000+ calories a day) I still feel exhausted from it. I find myself crying at night because I worry if I am providing her with enough calories and nutrition because like I said the first few days she did not breastfeed for very long at each nursing. I was a worried mom. I never thought keeping a newborn awake would be so difficult.

Even with those nursing issues, I do find it an extremely enjoyable experience! I look forward to each nursing because I love the bond that we are creating together. I love seeing her milk coma face 🙂 Madison and I are getting better and better with nursing!!  Madison likes to take her time with nursing. We are having longer nursings! Hallelujah!!

new-mom-napping-while-baby-sleeps-with-vizsla

How is mom doing?

Hanging in there. Hormones are all over the place. One minute I am happy and feel like I have everything under control, then the next minute I am crying because I feel like I am doing something wrong.  I am exhausted, but fine overall. I try to take naps when I can.

new-mom-dinner-in-between-baby-feedings

I eat all day long, even throughout the night. I am not worrying too much about what I am eating; sticking to my normal whole foods diet just eating MORE.

new-dad-holding-first-baby-girl-at-home

How is everyone else doing?

Gary is doing great. He has done an outstanding job with his new role as a father. I couldn’t have survived any of this without his love and support. He is great with Madison. Definitely feel he was born to be a dad. He helps out with EVERYTHING! He is so involved in all aspects of taking care of Madison. He helps me with breastfeeding by helping with latching and waking her up. And he is doing great with dirty diapers 😉

auntie-michelle-6-days-old-madison-baby-girl

Michelle is also doing well! Another rockstar over here and someone else who has helped so much with my survival these past few days. She always has food for Gary and I to eat, cleans the house for me, helps out with the laundry, takes Jax on walks on days where we can’t exercise him and most of all she keeps our two businesses running (the blog and purely fit life). I couldn’t do this without her.

Fisher-price doggie-newborn-rock-n-play-sleeper

How is Madison?

She is doing amazing. She loves to sleep. She is getting stronger each day. At her first doctor visit she weighed 6lb 6oz so lost about 6oz from birth, which they said is normal. Now we are focusing on getting her weight back up to birth weight. She has great bowel movements and wet diapers. You know we like to talk poo over here.

I get so excited for dirty diapers because then I know she has a good digestive system and that her body is liking what I am eating. Gary and I track dirty diapers along with breastfeeding times on an app off my phone. The app is called BabyNursing. I love how it tracks everything, so easy to use and it’s FREE!

Madison doesn’t like to be changed. She doesn’t cry when she has a dirty diaper. She doesn’t like any swinging or vibration motions. She loves being held.  She loves my breast milk. She loves classical music.  She loves getting kisses.

first-time-changing-clother-diapers

How is cloth diapering going?

Good. There was a huge learning curve the first few days. We all had no idea what we were doing and little Madison has been so patient!! She is a rockstar when it comes to changing diapers. We used the Honest Company disposable diapers at the hospital and use them when I run out of cloth diapers at home. I will give an update on clothing diapering soon.

jax-and-madison

General thoughts?

I never mentioned it before but I decided to ingest my placenta. I got my placenta encapsulation from a sweet lady here in town. I take a few each day. I do feel it has helped some with my recovery and emotions. But I have had a few major emotional breakdowns where I just cry. Again I have a great support team to get me back on my feet 🙂

Overall I am loving motherhood, even with this difficult newborn stage. I have not ventured out with Madison besides going to her doctor appointment and a few walks around the neighborhood. I am hoping next week I will have more confidence and go out in public. I used the Solly baby wrap the other day and she loved it. I will share more on that soon.

6-days-post-partum-first-pregnancy-purelytwins

Body postpartum:

Well, I have lost 15lbs from birth. I am just a few pounds away from my pre-baby weight as I did not gain too much during pregnancy. It was such a crazy feeling at labor when you feel all this pressure and weight all of a sudden disappear. Crazy.

My belly is still slowly calming down. Breastfeeding helps with getting that all back to normal down there. My bleeding has slowed down so much, I barely bleed anymore. Although, I am still rocking the granny panies with a nice big pad on it. I am dealing with little dry stools, which makes going to the bathroom more difficult. I do admit I was terrified of going #2 postpartum but I have gone a little bit and wasn’t so bad. As I mentioned I am dealing with a little dryness so I am focusing on more water and more healthy fats to see if it helps.

I know healing takes time as labor is a pretty intense experience for the body. I am doing my best to enjoy this slow recovery period. I will share more on this next week when I share my birth story.

What about workouts?

I am not working out at all. I am just walking a few minutes each day and staying active with being a new mom. I am not in a rush to get back into working out as I want to allow my body to heal and recover completely. I also know that I have plenty of time to get back into shape. My focus right now is staying healthy and providing for Madison. Once I start to feel stronger and feel my body is healed I might do a few squats or something to slowly start building my strength. Don’t get me wrong… I MISS my workouts but also want to honor my body. It went through something pretty drastic and I want to rest.

Quick Skin Update from Michelle:

I got my patch testing results back last Friday. And my skin showed reaction to 3 things. Although one stood out the most and it’s the one I am focusing on. I plan to give a full report soon. But for now my focus is our business and helping Lori and Madison any way I can.

Next week we will share more of how life is with a newborn and Madison’s birth story. If you have any questions you want either of us to answer leave a comment and we will answer them.

Thank you again for your love and support!!!

NEW blog signature-01

Laura@ Fit Running Mama October 3, 2014 - 1:40 pm

You are doing great! Way to go! I have a 5 year old and am 21 weeks pregnant with #2– your post is bringing it all back!! You look amazing– It’s is crazy what happens to our body when we we are nursing!!!??!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:37 pm

thank you Laura! It is crazy how the body works, truly amazing! xo

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 3, 2014 - 1:44 pm

if you ever need any advice or tips, PLEASE shoot me an email!! Happy to help!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:37 pm

I will do that sweetie, thank you!!

Lisa October 3, 2014 - 1:49 pm

Great update! I’m so happy for you all, and Madison is a lucky little girl to have such a fantastic family.
I relate to so much of what you said about cloth diapering, breastfeeding, postpartum body, etc… and now that my baby is almost 4 months, I’m happy to tell you that things really just keep getting better and better in all those areas!
You look amazing!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:38 pm

so happy to hear this Lisa 🙂 and thank you!! I am so happy to hear things are going well for you and your little one – yay! xoxo

MarieNielsen88 October 3, 2014 - 2:00 pm

Lori, I love this post! Raw, honest and purely you. Thank you for sharing your feelings. I’m not a mom myself, so I no nothing about breast feeding, diapers or the like. Classic music I do know though and adore it as Madison 😉 But still, your words still hit me. I think many new moms will benefit so much from your honesty. Know I will when my time comes 🙂 Xoxo

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:38 pm

thank you sweetie, I hope so! And yay for classical music love! hugs

Morgan October 3, 2014 - 2:03 pm

Congratulations to the new parents and new auntie! You sound like you are getting the hang of it and you have plenty of help when you need it. All the emotional up’s and down’s are totally normal, but it does seem like those tears always strike at night! It must be the lack of sleep. Madison is beautiful and you all are doing a great job. Love on her as much as you can, they really do grow too fast.

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:40 pm

thanks Morgan and agree about the nighttime tears from lack of sleep. I am going to try to take more naps and rest more when I can! She has already grown so much already – crazy!! loving it all xo

Helena October 3, 2014 - 2:07 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! What a beautiful baby girl! And you seem to be doing awesome!

If I were you I would not bother worrying about waking her up. I know lot of midwifes recommend that (I am a nurse myself, and have a 21 month old nursling). It just makes for more nervous mother. If baby is doing well, she will eat when hungry. Just feed her when ever she asks for it. if she cries, even though she just nursed, see if she wants more, and let her sleep and you sleep when she wants. I dont understand midwifes who recommend waking a sleeping baby to nurse!

I also co-sleept from day one. Makes it way easier for mommy. JUst the fact to have to stand up, and walk to get baby, wakes you more up, then if she is, safe, in bed with you. At least that is one of the best decisions I made.

I also recommend this article>http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/claire_niala.html

and Happiest baby on the block was a life safer for me, as I knew nothing about babies when I had my dd.

Also, highly recommend this video> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgkZf6jVdVg

Good luck! Cant wait to follow your motherhood journey 🙂

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:41 pm

thank you Helena for the tips and thoughts! THanks for the articles I will check them out.

Meg @ A Dash of Meg October 3, 2014 - 2:08 pm

loved this post!!!!!!! wishing you all the best!!!!!!!!! <3 so proud of you sis

Erica October 3, 2014 - 2:19 pm

Great job so far Mama (and support team!!). No one can really fully prepare themselves for what those first few weeks are like. I remember breaking down because breast feeding hurt SO bad. Hopefully peanut will get into some nice sleep cycles and yall will start to feel more “normal”. <3 <3

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:40 pm

very true Erica, no book or article can prepare you – it’s all best learned when going through it 🙂 xoxo

Lele October 3, 2014 - 2:38 pm

What a great update! I love your candor about the challenges in breastfeeding. I just want to point out that in my Nutrition Through the Lifespan class (I’m in a nutrition and public health masters program) we’ve talked a LOT about breastmilk supply. The true proportion of women who aren’t making enough milk is small- like, 5%. At 6 days postpartum your body is still figuring out how much to make, with help from your baby- her frequent feeding is actually helping get your supply up! Also, remember that when she was born, her tiny tummy only held a TABLESPOON of milk. Crazy, right?! As her stomach grows, your supply will grow too. Definitely remember, too, that lactation consultants are amazing people and can be a really great resource. Good luck, lady! Your baby is beautiful!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:42 pm

Thanks Lele, I remember the lactation consult mentioning that about the supply, thanks for the reminder 🙂 it is crazy to think about how small their stomachs are at the beginning!! xoxo

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 3, 2014 - 2:53 pm

She is so adorable! XOXO Blessings and wishes for everything to go smoothly in these first few months! XOXO

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:43 pm

thank you Rebecca!

Colleen October 3, 2014 - 3:02 pm

I am so glad that you and your family are doing well, and that you have so much support from loved ones. Everything can seem more overwhelming and depressing when you aren’t getting enough sleep, and having people to lean on helps so much. I also encapsulated my placenta after my first baby, and I think it really helped with my mood, energy, and my overall recovery. Hang in there, mama!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:44 pm

I am truly blessed to have such a great support team willing to help out!! yay for placenta capsules. I am enjoying them so far. And thank you!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 3, 2014 - 3:11 pm

She is so beautiful! I’m so glad that you’re feeling okay and slowly getting into a routine!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 3:43 pm

thanks Emily, yes slowly getting into a routine 😉

Caitlin October 3, 2014 - 3:48 pm

thank you so much for such a great update, lady! i’ve been so curious about what has been going on over there. you look great and i love your attitude. i can’t wait to hear more about your birth story, being a mommy, and maybe about ingesting your placenta. i’ve never heard of that before so i am extremely curious!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:11 pm

Thank you Caitlin!

Amanda October 3, 2014 - 4:07 pm

Not that I have children, but I always wondered about how it would feel to suddenly lose all the weight of the baby! I always thought that would be so strange! My sister had a baby (the first in my family) and it is so fantastic when everyone really jumps in and is helpful! It’s amazing to have the house kept tidy, food prep help, dog sitting etc are all things you desperately need! Madison is lovely!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:12 pm

Yes it is fantastic! Thank you!

the delicate place (@misathemeb) October 3, 2014 - 4:10 pm

congrats again! my goodness she looks so much like gary right now! babies change so quickly though, it’s crazy how fast they grow!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:12 pm

it is crazy!

Sarah October 3, 2014 - 4:26 pm

Congrats! And you’re doing so great!

Those first 3 months were hardest for me with both babies. It’s the hormones mixed with no sleep and the profound seriousness of being in charge of another whole person in all ways! Intense is such an understatement. I can’t still clearly recall 3am feedings where I despaired that life was never going to make sense again. But it will 🙂

In the meantime it looks like you have a wonderful support system. You’re awesome!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:13 pm

haha thanks girl, looking forward to everything making sense 😉

Meri October 3, 2014 - 4:33 pm

You are doing great Lori, and your support team seems terrific! You are all amazing! Breastfeeding combined with lack of sleep is sooo hard! I relate to everything you are saying. I love how you say that things are just going to happen when they happen. The greatest piece of advice I ever got was to be kind to myself. I am impressed that you still manage to update this blog of all things, and take walks. I didn’t go out in public at all for the first three months. It was during this last crazy winter. Anyways, you are doing amazing. Your daughter is beautiful and lucky to have such a dedicated mum 🙂 Write to us anytime. It is great to be able to talk about these new experiences. xx

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:14 pm

you are too sweet!! Thank you 🙂

katie October 3, 2014 - 4:57 pm

Great post. Love your candid, honest perspective of the 1st week! The whole going #2 thing is honestly one of my concerns too. An old mommy trick from my mom for, as she phrased it, “lazy feeders” was to strip us naked or down to just a diaper to keep us awake to eat. I guess it worked, lol. My twin sis and I are here 33 years later! I look forward to more updates. And your daughter is beautiful.

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Yes we noticed bare skin helps, thank you!

Kara October 3, 2014 - 5:04 pm

Aaaaw, what a cutie! I have followed your blog for awhile but have yet to comment. Wow, what a wonderful blessing from God. Good luck on your mothering journey. :)Rest, rest, rest!

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:15 pm

Thank you 🙂 and thanks for commenting

Deana October 3, 2014 - 5:56 pm

Congratulations again! I know you will find your routine, and enjoy the whole experience. I think it’s amazing that you take so much time to update us. But you forgot one member of the family…Jax. How is he doing? I loved his sweet nose in one pic, and on the couch with you in another. I am sure he will be a great ‘big brother’ for Madison.

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:16 pm

haha I did forget to mention him!! He is doing pretty good

Carolynne October 3, 2014 - 7:02 pm

Wow, I LOVE how honest and revealing you were in this post! Especially about your postpartum body. My husband and I are expecting our first baby on November 15th and I worry about the recovery for me the most. It is good to know some of the things to expect. I hope that you recover fast and healthy. I also wish you the best in finding that perfect routine with Madison. It’s great that you have a ton of support around. 🙂 Good luck with the upcoming adventures.

purelytwins October 3, 2014 - 9:17 pm

You will do great girl!! If you have any questions about post recovery ask me anything. The post recovery has been a bit more difficult than I thought and painful, but it is worth it when I see my baby girl’s face.

laury October 3, 2014 - 10:06 pm

Lori I am so proud of you, momma! This is a tough time, but also so so precious. You’re doing great and stop worrying. Between hormones being a new mom it is a trying time. Trust me I know!!!! Ella had her fussy time between 6pm and 2am those first few weeks. It was really emotional because I didn’t know what to do for her. I had no clue what I was doing and I was exhausted! Babies sense when you’re upset and I was definitely unable to hide it at times, even so when trying to hide I am sure she could sense my tension . This time around I felt MUCH more calm going in and Jaxon has been a lot calmer. Looking back I learned from my “mistakes” and am grateful for everything Ella taught me. It’s still not a walk in the park and I have def had my moments! Jaxon is up every 2 hours and each time is a 45-60 minute ordeal between feeding. burping, getting him back to sleep. I’m a zombie but its my only job right now, and hey grow so fast…I am embracing al the moments! I also learned I have a forceful letdown, which I probably had with Ella too and didn’t realize (it all makes sense now) so he is burping several times each feeding which can get frustrating when it takes forever to get him to just eat and stop pulling off to burp because he’s drowning in my milk, poor thing. I had to learn to change positions and find what works best for him. It is a learning curve indeed and you will get the hang of it! Hang in there, as I am sure you realize it will get easier! Try and stay relaxed, I know it is tough but the calmer you are, the easier it will be. Just trust things will be okay. If she’s having wet and dirty diapers she’s eating! As long as you hear them swallowing it is okay if she seems sleepy. Also babies like sucking, so sometimes it is fine too just to let her hang there and suck (ask good for supply). Don’t overly stress about it. Just keep feeding on demand, listen for swallows and watch for diapers. The first week she will likely have as many wet or dirty diapers as she is days old.

Also, with Ella I was in so much pain BFing in the beginning and learned her latch wasn’t good(I would cry in pain every time she had to eat that first week). It should not hurt at all. I thought it just did because it was the beginning and I never nursed before but it should not. I spoke to a few lactation consultants this time around to check out Jaxon’s latch so we could avoid it and I had no pain at all this time. Make sure Madison’s mouth gets really wide. put your nipple on her nose so she opens wide and gently pull her chin right under her bottom lip down. Also try the football hold too, thats a good one!

Keep up the good work and don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re doing great!

Regarding nursing hunger: GIVE ME ALL THE FOOD! Seriously I had barely an appetite pregnant, no room in the belly, now I am eating like 3,000 calories day. No junk, just more like you said. I forgot how fierce this was! I think it is even worse because Jaxon is so much bigger than Ella was at this point and I feel he eats so much more!

She is seriously so adorable!

purelytwins October 4, 2014 - 8:53 am

Laury thank you so much for the words of encouragement and great tips! I will focus on staying calmer as I have noticed that too! And I am getting better at stressing and worrying less 😉 And each day our breastfeeding is getting better, Madison is getting the hang of it 🙂 and she has gained her birth weight and some! So that made me so happy that I was doing everything right 🙂 I am glad things are going better for you with Jaxon!! thinking of you and love ya! xoxo

eimearrose October 4, 2014 - 6:07 am

Well done Lori, you are doing great. I think it’s hard for a lot of new moms to trust in themselves as well as let their ‘support team’ help out- but you seem to have it going good. You probably feel like you are just keeping on top of everything, because I’m sure it is overwhelming. From this view, you are going FANTASTIC. All the rough stuff will only serve in the future to make you a stronger, wiser person and you have a great positive outlook, even though it might feel when you’re tearful that you don’t. You’re doing so well girl:D

purelytwins October 4, 2014 - 8:49 am

thank sweetie!! it is nice to have a support team to help out 🙂 each day we are getting better with figuring everything out. xoxo

Laura October 4, 2014 - 7:48 am

First of all, congratulations!! I’ve never commented before but I’ve followed your blog for a couple years now. I had to comment as I remember the early days of nursing so well- it’s hard hard hard!! (I survived it three times!) you and Madison will absolutely be fine- well nourished and well rested- eventually! It’s a rough road at first but preservere and it will all work out!! The sleepy baby part is so tough!! Hang in there and good luck!

purelytwins October 4, 2014 - 8:48 am

thank you Laura for the sweet words and support!!! thanks for commenting too 🙂 xo

Deanna October 4, 2014 - 8:23 am

It honestly sounds like you are doing perfect! Everything you are experiencing is so normal! It’s hard not to stress about stuff especially when it is all new to you. Rest assured that the stresses will pass and eventually you’ll look back at the time and wonder where it all went and why it seemed so stressful! Sending lots of love to you all!!!

purelytwins October 4, 2014 - 8:48 am

thank you Deanna!

Agnes October 4, 2014 - 10:39 am

Congratulations! She’s beautiful! I’m happy to see that you chose cloth diapers 🙂

Jody - Fit at 56 October 4, 2014 - 3:10 pm

So sweet & so much to learn! Wishing you love & all the best as you work thru it all!!!

purelytwins October 4, 2014 - 4:55 pm

Thank you!

sophie October 4, 2014 - 8:31 pm

What a beauty! Like her mama and aunt 😉

Question: Isn’t 2000 calories normal for a woman who ISN’T nursing? Shouldn’t you be consuming more?
Just wondering – no judgement!

Much love to you and your family.

purelytwins October 5, 2014 - 10:03 am

Not from my research, most get around 2000. I just eat when I am hungry and seem to be doing good. Everyone is different. Some might need more or less.

sophie October 5, 2014 - 4:45 pm

so then is 2000 calories TOO much for the average woman who isn’t nursing?

purelytwins October 5, 2014 - 6:15 pm

Nope! Calories are tough say how much a person should be eating as there are so many factors to take in. There are many sites out there to help you figure out calories like http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/?ref=nav

ucsdgirl October 6, 2014 - 3:15 pm

I also thought women need 400-500 extra calories a day while nursing. So 2000 would imply you only around 1500-1600 a day, which is reasonable if you’re trying to lose weight but not otherwise?

purelytwins October 6, 2014 - 5:12 pm

I eat well over 1500 calories ( I never eat less than that ever), and now over 2000 calories, I know and understand my body and want it needs, I promise I am eating. I eat nutrient rich foods majority of my diet and again if I am hungry I eat. I am not dieting, I promise. Everyone’s different because we all are different ages, different sizes and shapes, and different needs.

Eric Daniells October 4, 2014 - 11:19 pm

My sister is going through much of the same, she delivered 2 days ago, so everything is so new still. She is having a rough go, the doc thinks maybe the baby has colic and she doesn’t understand if her diet might be to blame, so here I am scouring the net for answers. She’s asking if I can get help from her favorite twins here, and it was the least I could do since we love this blog and we feel like we know you two… is that odd? The emotional parts of post-partum are hard, and I’m not even sure how to help, because sometimes when I take Salena for her to give her time for sleep, she gets more upset after she gets up and tells me she feels like a bad mom… and leaves me not sure if I’m doing the right thing.

What is the best way to be supportive for her? I want to help as much as I can, her husband is overseas stationed in Afghanistan and I’m totally at a loss here. Could her food be causing her milk to make the baby colicky?

Congratulations on such a beautiful little Madison. She’s so adorable, and I’m sure you’re both going to be such perfect parents. Not working out while your body gets back in shape is probably the safest thing to do for sure, especially with hormones and emotional issues that crop up… best to handle all of that stuff when you feel more balanced on the whole yourself first.

purelytwins October 5, 2014 - 10:09 am

Sounds like you two our doing great! It can be tough and there are still times we feel like we are doing something wrong. Lori understands what your sister feels like when she leaves the baby to go rest. It is hard for Lori too. But rest is so important for new moms and Madison’s is always fine, which eases Lori’s pain from being away from her. In terms of supporting your sister just being there helps! Taking the baby when you can so she can rest is great. Just keeping asking your sister what she needs. I always make sure to ask Lori what she needs and just knowing that helps ease her. If you need more help please email us! We are here for you both. Now for colic, we would recommend starting with her diet. Remove gluten and dairy if you haven’t already. If you have already done that try avoiding soy, grains, and caffeine for a few days. Also make sure your sister is well hydrated. If she likes vegetable juice try that. Lori is having a juice of kale, romaine, carrots, apple, cucumber and celery. Keep us updated!!! We want to know how she does, we hope this helps. If you have more questions or concerns let us know. xoxo Sending you hugs and love!

Eric Daniells October 6, 2014 - 1:07 am

I ran over to her with this post on my laptop. She’s all grins and says thank you both so much. I’m headed to the store to pick up fresh vegetables and fruits to help make into tasty juices for her. She was drinking regular cow’s milk because her pediatrician recommended she get plenty of calcium while breast feeding, but she’s going to stop doing that and try to get it from her foods instead. She’s not into gluten, so we’ll cut out the other things also. Really super happy to get an answer so fast. I hope we get updates on a happy and well rested Lori and Madison, and thank you from one sibling to another!

Meghanne October 5, 2014 - 8:53 am

Ah postpartum! It really is the hardest part of a pregnancy and is 4th trimester nobody talks about. I recommend placenta encapsulation to all my mama’s who are open to it. I’ve seen some women have great results getting energy back, balancing their hormones and increasing their iron stores after delivery (when it’s normal to loose 500ml of blood and 1L if you have a c-section). One day at a time, it will get easier. I love that you are having compassion for yourself and being gentle. That is the best way by far. Blessings to you all.

purelytwins October 5, 2014 - 10:00 am

Thank you.

First week with my Madison | naturalhealthnews October 8, 2014 - 12:11 pm

[…] First week with my Madison […]

Patricia Clark November 12, 2014 - 6:57 pm

I enjoyed reading your experiences with a newborn, breast feeding, diaper changing, and the emotions involved! I only had one child, a daughter almost 34 years go, so this brought it all back to me. I had the experience of having a baby who needed to be under UV lights due to a conflicting RH blood factor. I was so depressed and worried I would not be able to breast feed and/ or bring my daughter home with me from the hospital. But back then you were allowed to stay in the hospital longer, so it all worked out. I too used cloth diapers for about 8 months, and even washed them out by hand ( we couldn’t afford a washer or dryer) !! Luckily had had received a case of Pampers as a baby shower gift, so I was able to use those for a short while. It is amazing how quickly your child changes. My darter was colicky from the start and would not sleep through the night until she was 2 years old. Coincidentally, that’s right around the time I went back to work, so maybe she knew she didn’t have a choice, it was sleep all night or ??? Any way, now she an adult on he own, and I am proud to say I did good!
Keep up the good work and Madison will be fine!