7 tips to help with digestion ( #3 is something we like to do)

7 tips to help with digestion.
digest part five 7 tips for better digestion purelytwins

Today’s purely talk is a continuation of last week’s ramble.

7 tips to help with digestion

Tip 1 – Pay attention to yin (cool and damp) and yang (heat and dry) foods. In Chinese medicine they believe you might need more cooling foods or need more warming foods.

Tip 2 – Fasting. This does NOT mean dieting or calorie restriction, but more about giving your digestion a break. Try skipping one meal and have 2 larger meals, or do a juice fast for one day or one meal. Again don’t starve yourself. There is a time and place for fasting for those with digestive problems. It’s just something to consider.

This is something we have been playing around with off and on for a long time. As mentioned in the video, we do notice the days we do not have breakfast we do have a good bowel movement.

It makes sense that if your body spends all day digesting  the foods you are eating, it will not have the energy to HEAL whatever needs attention.

Tip 3 – Change up meal times and how much you eat at each meal. Try eating light until dinner. Or eat a big breakfast and smaller lunch and dinner.

This changes daily for us. Most of the time it’s unplanned, just depends if we have food prepped and ready to go. From our research and talking with others, we have noticed some people have stronger digestive fires at different times.

Tip 4 – Try supplements if you are not seeing improvements. Talk to your doctor about digestive enzymes, HCL, digestive bitters and probiotics. If you can tolerate apple cider vinegar it can help with digestion too. Take 1 tbsp of it with some water before meals.

Tip 5 – BE HAPPY!! Keep emotions in check around meal times. We have mentioned this many times but you have to be happy when you eat. Your emotions play a big role if your food will sit right in your stomach.

No stress. Breathe in with good and out with the bad.  Picture Lloyd and Harry.

Tip 6 – Eat more healthy fats. We all need healthy fats, but the amount will be different from person to person. We are big fans of people eating more good quality fats! If you do not see improvements by increasing fats then play around with carbs paying attention to fiber.  We have discussed our fiber experiment here. First fiber update here. And second fiber experiment update.

Tip 7 – Add sea salt to your diet! This has been something we have been doing more of this year and love it. We do feel it has helped us in the bathroom department. Our bodies need sea salt, especially when you are eating a real foods diet.  We love Mountain Rose Herbs sea salts.  Salt is most important for electrolytes and for proper thyroid and adrenal hormone health!

Bonus tip – If you have a broken metabolism, it could be the reason your digestion does not work.

We’ve discussed metabolism here before – broken metabolism and steps to fix metabolism.

digestion 7 tips  (click here for a printable of tips)

Check out this article that explains more of the relationship between metabolism and digestion. Something to look into if you have a history of any eating disorders or dieting.  This is another great one to read.

More resources:

Stress and gut

Healthy salt intake recommendations

Yin yang theory

Tips to improve digestive system

Make friends with your digestive health

Food combining for different meal times

We would love to hear from you!

Make sure you leave us a comment sharing your thoughts on any topic we discussed in the video.

Recap of digestion/gut health series:

About the series and fiber update

Our story and why gut health is important

The vicious cycle

9 ways to eliminate waste

DId eating paleo hurt our skin

3 things to do if you feel like  you cannot eat anything

NEW blog signature-01

P.S. If you enjoyed this video and post please pass this around to your friends and family. Thank you! We cannot do this without your support.

Do you add salt to your meals?

What are your thoughts on fasting? Cooling and warming foods?

What supplements have helped you the most with digestion?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 26, 2014 - 9:35 am

I’m a BIG believer in probiotics. I’ve had digestive issues my whole life and I can definitely tell when I DON’T take my probiotic. There was a week when I was feeling so awful every night and I couldn’t figure out why. I was eating foods that I was used to eating and usually sat fine in my stomach but every night I was still feeling really bloated and out of the ordinary. Finally I realized that I hadn’t taken my probiotic in over a week…I started taking it again and after a few days, was back to normal!

purelytwins June 27, 2014 - 12:37 pm

Katie so glad you have found what helps you!!

kitkat June 26, 2014 - 9:46 am

I typically can’t eat breakfast right away, I tend to push forward all my meals and eat breakfast (eggs usually) during lunch time, then lunch at like 3 pm. Weird I know, but it works for me. Also, yin yang hot cold food is something I found out recently and have been playing around with that. Ayurvedic medicine has 4 different body types that are similar to the hot/cold concept, whatever type you are has a different way of eating (I’m pitta, so cooling foods help me). Its just a way of balancing the body.

purelytwins June 27, 2014 - 12:38 pm

Kitkat yes Ayurvedic is great too. All it takes is trying something and seeing what works 🙂

lindsay June 26, 2014 - 2:35 pm

yes yes yes! i try to do all! and less stress if i can. But salt and fat–> MY LOVES

purelytwins June 27, 2014 - 12:40 pm

Lindsay yes stress is hard for us too

Abby June 26, 2014 - 8:15 pm

#7 and salt is really interesting! I love freshly cracked sea salt on just about everything. I’ve noticed too that you guys rarely add salt to your sweet treats. I’d definitely encourage you to add a bit (say 1/4 tsp. per 6 servings of a treat, or 1/2 tsp. per dozen)! I’m a baker and absolutely love the way that salt brings out the sweetness in desserts. You might even find that you need less sugar when you add salt!

Meg @ A Dash of Meg June 26, 2014 - 8:54 pm

all suuuuuuch great tips sisters 😀 i love love love them all!!!! one of my fav posts! i definitely pay attention to all 7!!!!!!!! fats, carbs, ACV, and sea salt are big ones for me! also water 🙂

Sam June 26, 2014 - 9:21 pm

Another great video ladies! I know that for me, taking a ginger supplement every morning helps immensely. It’s amazing how much your mental state can affect your digestion. Trying to be calm and upbeat before, during and after you eat can really help.

Cat June 27, 2014 - 8:19 am

Ooh I hadn’t heard about the yin/yang of foods – will be reading up on that now! I love your approach to experimenting with all this stuff – it can’t hurt to try right? I do add himalayan salt to my food – for flavour mainly but it’s good to know it might be helping my digestion too!

eiren August 27, 2014 - 9:29 am

Hey ladies!!
I had a question for you on the fasting… i’m thinking of implementing intermittent fasting into my world. is that what you meant by fasting? Have you tried it before? i am SO SICK of the bloated belly, it’s going to make me scream!

oxo
eiren

purelytwins August 27, 2014 - 12:03 pm

Eiren well we do not call it intermittent fasting as we do not follow that exactly. We do our own type of fasting, we just wait longer to eat breakfast. Most IF is about 14 hour fast, we do around 10 hr fast. Give it a try!! It should help the bloat, just give it a week or so.