{pregnancy} week 24 + maternity photos, birthing classes, building stroller

Thank you again to all the comments and Facebook messages about your thoughts on glucose testing and vaccinations. Looks like majority of you are against the glucose testing and opted for other ways of testing it. A lot of you provided great links so thank you! I plan to call my doctor to discuss my concerns and why I am declining it. And discuss options of doing glucometer testing, A1C testing or drink a more natural drink like orange or apple juice. I will give updates on what happens.

Plus, vaccines I know are a big debate. Rightfully so as there is so much conflicting information out there.  It was pretty close in those that said to vaccinate and those that said don’t. I am still unsure of how I really feel on them but I am leaning towards getting the TdaP done as I don’t want to feel guilty that I didn’t and baby M get sick. But I am unsure of all the other ones that happen when she is born. I am thinking of pushing most of them off until after the first year. I am still researching this.  Thanks again for all the great comments and personal experiences with vaccines and other testing, it truly helps a first time mom. So thank you.  And I love how our purely twins family is so open and willing to discuss things on both sides. Thank you for not bashing each other when we have different views!

6 months pregnant

Crazy to think that I am about 6 months pregnant!!! Only about 3 months (about 16 more weeks depending if I go to 40 weeks) to go before baby M arrives! I still have so much to learn and do in those few months! I better get moving!

In other baby related news –>

I am in the middle of researching maternity and newborn photographers. I have narrowed it down to a few. I am excited for these pictures as I did not do any extra pictures for my wedding, so I wanted to document these memories during my pregnancy and first child.

We’ve taken a mini break from doing anything else to the bathroom. Plus, we are looking into doing some updates (mainly the floor) in the downstairs of house. The last major house project we want to get done.

More fun news (well fun for me) is getting some items for the nursery and baby.  Like the stroller.

still unsure of stroller

Jax was unsure of what this new item was as he kept sniffing trying to figure it out.

vizsla and baby stroller

After awhile of sniffing he gave up and went to lay down as he watched Gary and I finish putting together the stroller. Being a big brother is a tough job 😉

chicco stroller

After a few minutes of following directions we had ourselves our baby stroller! Can’t wait to see baby M in there!

I am also reading some really great books that you all recommended. So again thank you! I am starting to look into birthing classes around here.

I have found one birthing class that combines Lamaze®, Bradley® Method, and HypnoBirthing®!

It sounds pretty cool so I hope to look more into those classes.

cuteline3-01

week 24 pregnancy baby bump update

Not my usual update picture as I have been traveling and Michelle is not here to take picture. So I took this picture this past Sunday.

PREGNANCY WEEK 24 UPDATE:

Current food cravings?

Nothing too different than normal. I did enjoy a few sugary and gluten filled treats while at Disney. Hey, it happens. And overall my body did great with going off my normal eats for a few days. Guess my gut and metabolism are getting stronger! Yay!!

quiche breakfast

One morning I enjoyed some roasted potatoes with a goat cheese spinach and mushroom quiche. Delicious.

watermelon goat cheese salad

For a starter salad one night before my fish dinner I enjoyed a watermelon arugula goat cheese salad. YUM!

Guess you can say I was craving cheese the past few days and sweet treats. Really I wanted a little bit of everything. I did not restrict myself and allowed myself to eat what I felt like. So freeing. And for the most part body did pretty good.

coffee at disney

Also enjoyed some iced decaf americanos. So good. I forgot how much I love that drink.

Now that I am home I am getting right back into my normal eats around here. I am excited to get back to my usual way of eating that fits me.

Any symptoms?

Same old itchy belly, few mood swings and some minor leg cramping when I wake up. But really I feel normal most of the time. Some days I did notice my energy slacking some.  No extra bloating yet and wedding rings are still on (fitting good).

Stretch marks?

None that I have noticed.

Miss anything?

Not really.

baby bump at disney week 23-24

Each day I am getting more and more used to my belly. And wearing the same clothes a lot!

How is your skin?

My skin is doing alright for what I put it through while vacationing from drinking that much water as I normally do, eating more cheese and sugar than I normally do and getting a little constipated. But still most of my blemishes from prior weeks are going away. YAY!  All my other skin issues like some back acne and KP on arms are doing alright. I did not do a great job with keeping up with my exfoliating so I am anxious to get back to that routine plus eating more liver to see if that helps (since some of these issues might be from low vitamin A).

How is digestion?

Digestion is alright. I did feel my appetite was a little bit stronger while vacationing.  I did get a little constipated while being away from home but nothing too bad (like it used to be in the past). I did better than I thought I would – so that’s a good improvement!

Total weight gain/loss?

Again unsure since I don’t weight myself.

How’s the baby?

Baby M is about the size of ear of corn.

It’s crazy to think that over the past few days she is filling out more proportionally. Taste buds are also developing and the lungs are becoming more developed and complex. Her hearing is getting better and better. She can hear more daily noises from my heart and my voice. Fascinating.

I feel her kick a few times during the day and at night. She seems to be a soft kicker so I really have to stop and feel it. Sometimes I will feel one sharp kick. I am still getting used to that feeling. But loving it at the same time too.

I get to meet my little girl in only 16 short weeks 🙂

lori staying fit while pregnant

NOW FOR MY PREGNANCY WORKOUTS FROM LAST WEEK:

I didn’t do any extra stretching or rebounding while being away at Disney. I will get back into that daily habit now that I am home.  I also didn’t really workout the normal way I do these past few weeks. But that is alright it was nice to slow down some for a few days and give the body a little break. I feel it’s good to do that from time to time.

lori week 23 squat workout goes next week

I was able to squeeze in workouts before leaving town.

Definitely seeing the belly more and more now when I workout. Some exercises are more of a challenge for me to do while others I still feel good doing.

I still love my workouts. I look forward to them. Workouts help keep me calm and sane during my pregnancy.

I love being able to still continue to build strength and stamina while being pregnant!

And for my workouts the rest of the week from Wednesday to Sunday I was away from home for them so I had to change things up. One great thing about working out at home is that you can take those workouts with you anywhere. And make modifications when needed. Something we teach our clients about how to modify when traveling or really busy.

hotel workout pregnanct

I managed to squeeze in a few mini hotel workouts in and of course walking around the parks kept me active. I love my walking!

I am excited to get back into my KB swings, squats and other bodyweight exercises. I have missed them! I feel a little weak from not doing my normal workouts but I know after a few days of being home and doing them I will gain that strength back.

Any one else do maternity or newborn photos?   Was it worth it?

Non-moms what are you thoughts on maternity photos?

What was a highlight from your week?  Do you change up your workouts when you travel?

xo

L

NEW blog signature-01

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun June 10, 2014 - 9:04 am

You are looking pretty awesome!! I can’t believe you are already 6 months!

purelytwins June 10, 2014 - 9:52 am

thanks Sara!! I know it’s crazy to think about, time has flown by!

Dana June 10, 2014 - 10:31 am

Glad you ate some great food and treated yourself! I am the same way on vacation, I get constipated without my own toilet. Always have…

I think Michelle should do your newborn pictures! Shes a great photographer (you both are) and it would make a great portfolio.

purelytwins June 10, 2014 - 10:38 am

same here, wish we could travel with our squatty potty 😉 aww you are too sweet!

Erica June 10, 2014 - 11:40 am

Gah! You look amazing girl <3. Glad you're doing what you feel is right for you and opening your thoughts to both sides. Thats fanatastic

purelytwins June 10, 2014 - 12:10 pm

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family June 10, 2014 - 1:13 pm

You look awesome! Thanks for the update on your thoughts – We delayed doing the Hep B vaccine at birth. We did do the Vit K since that is actually pretty important when it comes to hemorrhaging but I just told my ped that I didn’t expect my newborn to be doing IV drugs so we would catch up on Heb B later ha.

Seriously this time will go SO FAST for you and before you know it you’ll be snuggling a sweet newborn! As a mom to 2 girls I have to say girls are pretty awesome 😉

Maria June 10, 2014 - 1:29 pm

You look radiant 😀

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 10, 2014 - 1:57 pm

Love seeing that belly grow! I’m so happy for you Lori! xoxo

lauraagarwilson (keepinghealthygettingstylish) June 10, 2014 - 2:34 pm

I’m really looking forward to getting some maternity photos done, it’s really exciting! I’m just waiting until next month so my bump is bigger. Blimey I didn’t quite realise it was 6 months now, can’t believe we are so far on it’s going to fly over!

Georgia June 10, 2014 - 3:04 pm

Yum to the quiche, and I love watermelon with cheese! Any fruit with cheese really… Burpees are my exercise of choice on vacation, don’t need alot of room and can do anywhere

Danielle June 10, 2014 - 4:30 pm

Lori, so glad to see that pregnancy is treating you well.Feel like a stocker, but I swear I relate to you both so much on health, personal, as well as physical, (you look a lot like I did pregnant…except you look much prettier). I didn’t do maternity photos, but I did a home birth with my second and had my friend, a birth photographer, take photos of the day and Im glad I did, (got to see the love and strength my husband has for me as well as big brother enjoying little brother. Keep up being an inspiration for other want to be fit mommas out there!

Capoeirista June 10, 2014 - 6:56 pm

It’s great to hear news about your progress and all of the updates. I’m not a mom yet and it’s great to learn from you and see your progress!!
I wanted to put in a little bit on the vaccination questions. I am a scientist and I specifically study the immune system. Vaccines are very carefully made so that they are protective to the one receiving them, they aren’t detrimental to the baby and absolutely do not cause autism, there has been recent research disproving this assumption so all is good on that front 🙂 Also, there have been resurgences of certain diseases in the past few months, like measles – scary!!, this has been caused by people not having their children vaccinated. If you are especially concerned you can have baby M tested to make sure that there won’t be any adverse reactions, this could happen with individuals who are allergic to the components of the vaccination. Delaying vaccinations until baby M is older won’t hurt so you could always wait until she is a little older if you wanted.
I hope this helps 🙂
~Ashley

purelytwins June 10, 2014 - 8:04 pm

thanks Ashley!

Linz @ Itz Linz June 10, 2014 - 8:42 pm

you look gorgeous!

purelytwins June 11, 2014 - 6:54 am

thanks Linz!! xo

Christine June 11, 2014 - 3:18 pm

The practice I started off going to persuaded me into the glucose test even though I didn’t really want to. Two girls took my blood, they were super young (turns out they were interns), one was chewing gum obnoxiously, and the one drawing the blood was blindly stabbing and couldn’t get any blood out. I’m not afraid of needles or anything, but I was in tears by the end of it. The next day I get a phone call and I thought they were going to tell me I had gestational diabetes, it turns out they didn’t label my vial of blood! The nurse who called said I didn’t have any risk factors so they didn’t feel it necessary to do it again. I was livid!
That was the last time I was at that practice. I ended up finding an amazing midwife, had no vaccines, and had a fantastic home birth.

Jessica June 18, 2014 - 2:41 pm

Most methods advise against combining birth philosophies as a strategy, especially since some of them directly oppose one another (thinking mainly Lamaze and Hypnobirthing). I would highly recommend Hypnobabies, I’ve completely loved my experience so far and it’s focus on full belly breathing and channeling pain to progress by using self-hypnosis.

purelytwins June 18, 2014 - 6:47 pm

Thank you Jessica! Glad you are loving hypnobirthing!

cheryl July 6, 2014 - 11:33 am

I rode my bike, ran until 7 or 8 months and swam until week before- did a tri at four months and placed in my a.g.- that was over 27 years ago.
We built our own running stroller with bike wheels, PVC and an old car seat.. So it really amuses my about being pregnant and keeping fit and thinking it’s something “new”….