{pregnancy} week 20 update plus thinking of not having a changing table in nursery

I am halfway through my pregnancy. Crazy!  I am at week 20. This pregnancy seems to be going slow but at the same time going fast. Hard to explain. I am enjoying my journey of being pregnant but to be honest I am ready for the little one to be here. I just want to hold her and play with her.

pregnancy halfway through at 20 weeks purelytwins

I have been going back and forth on what I would like the nursery to look like for baby M. I am a simple person so I already know it is not going to be anything super crazy. But I do want it to have some character. I have some ideas in my head for the nursery that I have been designing for what the final look will be. I know I still have some time but before I know it she will be here 🙂

One thing that I have been debating is what kind of furniture to have in the nursery.

I have read just a few sites about buying things that you don’t really need. I also have read about some moms mentioning buying things that they never used. I just want to make sure the things I buy… I use. I know it still might be different when baby M is here but trying my best to make the right decisions. And I have talked with my older sister and mom about nursery things and they both think that I really do not need a traditional changing table.

Right now in the room that is going to be the nursery is a full size bed that I have had for a few years. It’s a good bed and debating on what to do with it. I feel bad getting rid of it but at first I did not want a bed in the nursery. I wanted it to be more traditional nursery related things. But my sister’s opinion was that the changing table was not the most easiest thing to use. She suggested that using a bed would be better as it’s bigger and that I will have more room to change the baby and that I can have the baby facing me instead of being sideways.

Definitely has me reconsidering the nursery.

Would it be bad if I did not get a changing table in the nursery? Would it make me a bad parent if I did not follow the traditional way  and use a changing table?

I usually tend to do things a little differently. Why not do the baby nursery a little different than the norm?

Thoughts? Am I crazy or silly to be thinking like this?

cuteline3-01

Over the weekend our biggest house project was doing a walkway on one side of our house.

building walkway 2

We went back and forth on how exactly we were going to do this. But after some discussion we decided on stone and river walk pebbles for our walkway. The ground was really uneven and has lots of tree roots so we felt this was our best option. We wanted an organic feel to the walkway.

building walkway

michelle helping with walkway

Auntie Michelle such a great helper!

finished walkway

And we were able to finish the walkway. Now we just have to fix up the sides and put some plants or something for decoration. It’s no Martha Stewart walkway but it does the job. And I like it. It’s simple and organic looking.

Okay now for my week 20 pregnancy update 🙂

cuteline3-01

week 20 pregnancy update halfway through purelytwins

pregnancy week 20 update:

Current food cravings?

Eggs still always sound good but the weirdest things that I am craving are nutritional yeast and anything crunchy. I have been enjoying taking a few bites of granola everyday. Plus I usually sprinkle a good amount of nutritional yeast on at least one meal of mine. Not sure what it is about nooch but it is really hitting the spot for me this week.

Few of my eats from yesterday — again I had the same breakfast as I always do with my bulletproof coffee.

fruit berry smoothie

Post-workout smoothie  – berries, perfect fit protein and fresh mint and parsley.

monday egg kraut lunch

Followed by eggs, sauerkraut and nutritional yeast.

bites of granola

Took a few bites of granola mid-day for a snack.

monday salmon plantain veggie dinner

Dinner was sautéed kale and cabbage, canned salmon, arugula, sauerkraut and plantains. Topped with a little tahini and sea salt.

Any symptoms?

Nothing major. My sleep has been alright. Some nights I sleep better than others. I still get up to pee once or twice during the night.

Wedding ring is still on. No extra bloating or any other issues.

I have always had really good strong nails but now they seem to be even stronger. And of course my hair is still really thick and growing all the time.

I did finally go and buy some maternity clothes from Target that I am really loving. I will show you them in this week’s vlog going up Saturday for those that are interested.

Stretch marks?

None that I have noticed.

Miss anything?

I always feel weird answering this. Like it’s a bad thing if I miss something. That I am a bad mom-to-be since I miss things being normal about my body. That I miss doing things without having to think twice about if that is hurting my growing baby or not.

How is your skin?

My skin is doing good. Not amazing, but good. I still have some of those blemishes from the past two weeks that are getting very small but to me they are still noticeable. Funny how hard we always tend to be on ourselves.  I am continuing my usual face routine and face products like normal. Overall I feel my face is doing pretty good with the constant changing hormones and body during this pregnancy so far.

My back is the same. Some days I feel like I have improvements and other days it looks the exact same. I am hoping over time my back will clear up.

How is digestion?

Digestion during the week is always really great. I have great bowel movements each day. But when it comes to the weekend it seems to slow down some. I think it is because on the weekends I don’t always do my rebounding and I usually rush to eat to get my day going for some reason. During the week I am up for about an hour and half before I eat anything, so I think that helps with me going to the bathroom easier.

My appetite is the same. I am still eating about the same as I normally do with some days I might have a snack.

Total weight gain/loss?

Feeling the same overall but belly has grown some. So know I have gained some from that.

How’s the baby?

She is doing good!! Baby M is about the size length of a banana.  She is swallowing more these days, which is good practice for her digestive system. She’s still got a lot of growing to do though!

Still waiting to feel her. Thinking closer to week 22 🙂

week 20 pregnancy workouts purelytwins

Now for my pregnancy workouts from last week:

Most days I got up and did my 10 minutes of rebounding (some days I have done 12 minutes) and some light stretching/foam rolling. Walked most days and did my 5 minute warm-up routine before each day I exercise.  It has been hot and sunny here most days so I’ve been able to keep up with walking daily.

Monday –  filmed a 14 minute cardio purely fit club workout plus 30 minute walk –> felt good for this workout

walking pushups pregnancy workout

Tuesday-  filmed purely training #61 our time challenge workout that took 30 minutes plus 35 minute walk and pull-ups —> got tired really quickly with this workout, really kicked my butt so I took it easy the next two days

Wednesday – rest day, did some yoga, pull-ups, stability ball work and 45 minute walk

Thursday- did some TRX back exercises, pull-ups, and one hour walk

workout pregnant

Friday-  filmed a new purely training 15 minute workout plus 30 minute walk –> had great energy for this workout

Saturday- active rest day – 30 minute walk

Sunday- sprints and pull-ups –> felt pretty good in my interval sprints

Overall I am doing great.

No major complaints. Enjoying the ride of being pregnant.

The good, the not so glamorous and everything in between 😉

Thanks as always for the love and support during my journey of  being pregnant for the first time. I love being able to share my experiences and thoughts with you.

What are your thoughts on having a changing table in the nursery? Is it worth it? Is it useful?

Did you have a traditional nursery?

What are your key things for a nursery?

xo

NEW blog signature-01

Heathers Looking Glass May 13, 2014 - 9:18 am

I plan to use a dresser as a changing table and not buy an actual table. But I am not going to have a bed in the nursery/don’t have room, probably just a rocker/glider. Can’t believe we are halfway!

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 9:20 am

I know crazy!! We have a big enough room for the bed as it is been a guest room 🙂 I like the dresser idea too! And I hope to get a large rocker too.

Amanda May 13, 2014 - 9:24 am

I had a changing table and never used it. My most used items were a Lazy boy rocker which was in the living room and also a glider in his room. I changing table dresser cannot grow with the child and so it is better to buy a regular dresser.If the baby ever takes a nap on the bed they will fall off so they need a safe place to sleep. changing or spending time with the baby on the bed is fine but surrounding the baby with pillows on the bed is not safe because I got a close call when I did not know better and did that.

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 5:48 pm

Thanks Amanda, ya I wasn’t using the bed for sleeping just changing.

Rachelle May 13, 2014 - 9:26 am

I never use a changing table even when it is available to me. In public it’s a good idea, but at home I always just threw a blanket on the floor.

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 5:49 pm

Rachelle I was thinking that too

Jojo @ RunFastEatLots May 13, 2014 - 9:35 am

If you have room for the bed, it might not be a bad idea to use it for changing. A changing table is only going to be used for a year or so, whereas the bed can always be used.

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 5:57 pm

Thank you Jojo.

Sarah May 13, 2014 - 9:35 am

Hi Lori! Just saw through an IG hashtag that you’re preggo and had to say hello! Congrats on the baby! I’m due with my first girl late July and don’t look NEAR as cute as you do! 🙂 Anyway, had to let you know about a $25 Pink Blush maternity online giveaway I’m hosting this week! Don’t miss out! 🙂 http://www.sarahandderek.blogspot.com

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 5:57 pm

Hello Sarah thanks for stopping by and saying hello! I will check it out thanks!! Congrats on your girl 😉 xoxo

Linz @ Itz Linz May 13, 2014 - 9:50 am

our nursery is pretty small so we didn’t have room for a traditional changing table – we just have a changing mat/pad thing on top of our dresser and that works perfectly. my sister did that, as well. i don’t think you HAVE to have a changing table as long as you have some area to change the baby. also, i have light gray furniture for william. i LOVE the light look vs the more traditional dark colors. 🙂 🙂

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 5:58 pm

Thank you Linz!! Yes light gray sounds great. xoxo

Morgan May 13, 2014 - 10:03 am

We used our changing table a lot. It had a drawer and two shelves that I used for books, cloth diaper, blanket, ect… When he got to big for it we just used the bed, couch, floor, wherever he could be stopped long enough! I took the pad off the table and got some baskets and use it for his books and toys now. We are in a 1 bedroom so I think if we had more space we may have not used it. If you do get one get lots of covers or use a receiving blanket underneath until you get good at changing! I craved nutritional yeast too during pregnancy. I would roll it up with some coconut oil on a coconut flour tortilla. Sounds gross now but it was delicious!

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 5:59 pm

THanks Morgan!! And that actually sounds like something I would enjoy!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat May 13, 2014 - 10:40 am

These thoughts are exactly what I’m having right now. I’m currently 14 weeks pregnant with twins and I can’t help, but think about how I’m going to decorate. Seeing as we’re going to have two babies and we live in a townhouse with limited amount of space, I want to buy pieces that are versatile. Quite honestly, we are likely to opt out of a formal changing table. If anything we’ll get one of those changing pads for the top of the dresser. I think that would suit us a lot better and maximize the use of our space.

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:00 pm

Holly congrats girl on twins!!!! 🙂 xoxo Ya I agree with changing pads on dresser.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun May 13, 2014 - 10:41 am

I think you should do what you want! 🙂 You can always buy a changing table later if your method doesn’t work for you!

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:00 pm

Thanks Sara!

Georgia May 13, 2014 - 11:27 am

I actually think its a great idea to have a bed instead of a changing table, more room (changing tables are so tiny and high up, made me nervous when I used to babysit and change diapers) and you always have the option to sleep in the nursery as well if needed. I’m sure its normal to have those thoughts about wanting to whats best, but honestly, the fact that you care so much about whats “right” makes you a great mom already so I wouldn’t stress too much! Just keep researching all the holistic stuff you do and it will work out <3

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:02 pm

Georgia THANK YOU!!! xoxo 🙂

Colleen May 13, 2014 - 11:28 am

I found it really helpful to have a changing table with drawers so that wipes, diapers, powder, lotion, towels, clothes, and the million other little things you need all at once were really accessible. Plus, when the baby gets big enough to roll, the contour changing pad REALLY HELPS keep them in place! I always used a bed to change my son when I would go visiting, and even for short weekend trips, the bed was low enough that it bothered my back always bending over. I definitely feel like a changing table is worth it!

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:03 pm

Thank you Colleen good point about the back

Reyan May 13, 2014 - 1:20 pm

They make corner changing tables, where the baby faces you if you wanted to check those out and have more room to work with in the nursery! Good luck!

G May 13, 2014 - 1:30 pm

Oh this article is interesting about heavy metals in protein powders. They independently tested the perfect fit protein among others. It scored a B for lead which actually isn’t good. Just thought I’d share!

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:07 pm

Oh wow thanks G!! We will check it out

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family May 13, 2014 - 4:00 pm

We use a dresser as a changing table and have for both kids. While a bed WORKS it’s not necessarily ideal. You’ll fine yourself bending over a lot to change diapers which can put a lot of strain on your back – a back already strained from carrying baby and nursing. A dresser or changing table puts baby at a level where you’re not straining. When you’re changing SO many diapers it might matter 😉

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:08 pm

Thanks Madeline for the tip!

Allisonm May 13, 2014 - 4:16 pm

I bought a used change table when I had my daughter, and I used it for both of my kids. I liked it, there was a shelf for storage on the bottom (for diapers, wipes, etc.). It was a good height for me, and it is important to be comfortable with what you decide to use 🙂

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:08 pm

Thank you Allison!

Brooke May 13, 2014 - 5:03 pm

Here’s my two cents – I definitely don’t think a changing table is necessary. None of my friends who had babies ever used one so maybe that’s why I think that way but I’m also a minimalist. I don’t intend on buying one for my baby (whenever I have one). There’s a lot of baby stuff that I probably won’t end up buying though so take that for what it’s worth 🙂 I’ve seen too many people spend too much hard-earned money on buying things they never used for their baby, but I guess you don’t know what you need until baby is here…

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 6:09 pm

xoxo thank you Brooke!!

Julie (jem0622/Mommy2Many) May 13, 2014 - 7:53 pm

I only used a changing table for my youngest (mother of 4 here!), and very rarely. Save your space!

purelytwins May 13, 2014 - 8:58 pm

thanks Julie!!

Betsey May 14, 2014 - 8:18 am

Currently pregnant with twins- and I’ll be nixing the changing table as well. None of my friends ever used one so I feel confident I’m not missing out!

purelytwins May 14, 2014 - 8:55 am

good! glad I am not the only one 🙂 yay for twins!!

lauraagarwilson (keepinghealthygettingstylish) May 14, 2014 - 2:07 pm

Congrats on being half way through! I’m not having a changing table, just a mat – mainly because we live in a one bed flat and won’t have a traditional nursery, but even if I was I don’t think I’d have one either. I just found out today I’m having a boy!

purelytwins May 14, 2014 - 2:50 pm

wahoo, congrats on having a little boy!! yay!! and so happy to hear that you aren’t doing a changing table either!

Danielle May 15, 2014 - 5:21 am

We used a change pad on the floor and when he got mobile we used a Pack n Play type playpen…I did not want to worry about him falling! I have heard of babies falling off change tables, so I got in my squats on the floor! It wasn’t bad and gave me exercise and more peace of mind. You could only use a changing table for so long anyway once baby becomes mobile. Anyway, congratulations, I have been reading your blog for awhile and you will be a great mom!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast May 16, 2014 - 3:06 pm

So glad you’re feeling great and you look fantastic! As for the nursery, with my first it was our guest room/nursery so I actually kept a bed in there as well. We got a sturdy contoured changing pad that we attached to the top of the dresser, and that worked great. We plan to do the same with the dresser as changing table – I agree, there’s no need to have a changing table as a piece of furniture that really has no use beyond that first 1-2 years. So excited for you to start pulling the pieces together!

purelytwins May 16, 2014 - 5:18 pm

thanks Laura!! I am excited to put it all together too!

Christine June 2, 2014 - 1:16 pm

We didn’t use the changing table consistently until we started cloth diapering. We would just change my son where ever we were until we had a designated diapering station. We also didn’t really use a traditional changing table, we use an Expedit unit from IKEA with a changing pad secured on top (it’s screwed in through the strap). Even though my son is 2 we still use the changing table when he has a messy poop…it’s easier to just wash the changing pad cover rather than the whole bedspread.

We also kept a twin size bed in the nursery since it was the guest room before hand. It worked out well, especially when my mom came to visit. We had originally put the crib in our bedroom next to our bed so I could nurse him in the middle of the night, but we ended up cosleeping and he never even slept in his crib. Now that he just turned two, him and I cosleep in a king size bed in his room.

You don’t have to do anything traditional if you don’t want. Do what works for you. You might want to keep the bed to transition her to, trust me, she’ll be in a big girl bed in no time.

purelytwins June 2, 2014 - 2:10 pm

Thank you Christine!

Henna B June 11, 2014 - 9:25 am

We have always had a changing table. We got our last at http://www.babychangingtablestore.com. Good selection. The table saves my back.

Henna B October 13, 2014 - 10:45 pm

We ended up getting a changing table through http://babychangingtablestore.com. The took us to Amazon but it was a good place to see the options.