New Digestion series + fiber experiment update

purely talk fiber constipation digestion

We are not shy about our bowel issues, bloated stomach, etc.

We shared our gut healing journey.

We have discussed fiber and constipation.

In today’s Purely Talk video we give an update on our fiber experiment plus discuss a new series we are starting all about digestion.

As we mentioned in the video we are still tracking things. We have been reading a lot and gathering all the information.

Next Thursday we will have our first post for our digestion series. So make sure you are subscribed to our youtube channel or sign-up for our newsletter to get email notifications.

PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC QUESTION YOU WANT TO US ADDRESS!

Do you have a happy gut? Do you experience constipation? Gas? What confuses you about digestion?

NEW blog signature-01

Georgia May 1, 2014 - 10:23 am

Yay for poopy talks!! One thing that made a huge improvement in my life thanks to a suggestion by you two is the squatty potty!! I just use a stepstool I had in my house but the position it puts you in is seriously the best! I feel like so much more comes out (tmi yes) and I find myself going at least twice a day now which is optimal.

purelytwins May 1, 2014 - 5:16 pm

so happy you like the squatty potty, we love ours!!

Niki May 1, 2014 - 10:54 am

Hi Girls!

You gals are the best 🙂 I love that you acknowledge what works for one doesn’t work for all. There are some basics that generally work across the board and I’m grateful for the time info you put out in to share it!

I have the full gamete of digestive inflammation, intolerances etc. and all that comes with that. I have approached every diet that I am aware of with slight improvements here and there. I classically tend to fix one problem and create another with each approach. What I’d like your perspective on is food combining. I notice you are good with combining carbs with protein. Have you tried this approach before?

Also, I find the mind/body connection very strong… I think some of your posts suggest the same attitude? I have so many food intolerances (every replacement becomes a new intolerance) that I’m interested to know if you’ve explored the mentality of “fear” around food (or other mental thoughts) and if that can develop into these conditions. It’s kinda “out there” but I just wanted to include this as maybe food isn’t the whole answer.

Much love and I look forward to hearing more!

purelytwins May 1, 2014 - 5:16 pm

Niki love these!! Yes we will address food combining. And we are big believers in the mind body connection, we will touch base on that too! hugs

lindsay May 1, 2014 - 7:41 pm

glad you are figuring things out. Resistant starches and prebiotic vegetables like kimichi definitely helped me, but i had the opposite problem. Too much bowels. LOL!

purelytwins May 1, 2014 - 8:04 pm

oh yes we’ve been experimenting with resistant starches at first we felt it helped, but after a few days nothing.

GiGi Eats May 1, 2014 - 11:23 pm

As you very well may know….. ALL OF MY STOMACH/DIGESTIVE issues confuse me, and they are incurable! AWESOMMEEE lol!

Leah May 2, 2014 - 12:06 am

Love reading your blog. Great video! Not sure if you girls have issues with acid reflux but I’d love to hear advice if you have it. Dealing with that and malabsorption/ leaky gut, numerous food intolerances myself.

Meg @ A Dash of Meg May 4, 2014 - 8:56 am

you KNOW how much i love this topic. one of my favourites. weird, i know… poop, but it is seriously one of my favourites because healthy BM’s are sooooo important yet soooooooo not talked about enough! it is so sad. so i am so happy you have this series. will be keeping up for sure 🙂 i hope we can Skype again too! I always love our digestion Skype chats 😉

purelytwins May 4, 2014 - 4:12 pm

Meg thanks girl!! Yes need to chat soon 😉

Nadia May 4, 2014 - 11:07 am

While I’m still trying to work through my digestive issues, I find that castor oil applied nightly on the abdomen helps move things along – I don’t use any heat as is recommended since I often am too lazy to get a hot water bottle… so just rubbing it in clockwise along the large intestine certainly helps. Also check out some you tube videos on massaging the colon – those help me too (along with proper diet and water intake of course). Great videos!

purelytwins May 4, 2014 - 4:13 pm

Nadia thank you!

Marie Nielsen May 5, 2014 - 3:44 pm

Hi girls!

Great post! Yet again 🙂
I’m going to try a 30day gut-healing-plan – AIP protocol with NO eggs, nuts/seeds, protein powder and so on, & LOW FODMAP, with a ratio of 135gr. Protein, 135-ish carbs and 100-110 gr. Fat. 2000 kcal…
I still have some problems with digestion and it varies a lot, constipation/diarrhea. But it has helped me a lot to go low fodmap since November… Not thaaaat bloated anymore, but sometimes it comes back. I guess my plan is quite the same as you did last year (well I’m really inspired by you on this 😉 ) And the paleo-mom.. Bone-broth and gelatin for the win!

Okay. Okay… Get there Marie!
So my question is HOW MANY cups of veggies/starchy/fruit a day is “enough”…? I’ve tried to make a plan for my self and it hits 9cups total… 1cup berries, 3 cups veggies (lettuce, cucumber, ginger and so..) going to be juiced and 1.5 cups starch (plantain and yams) for my meals. The rest are going to be spinach, green beens and zucchini or so… I do know that I have to experiment with it and find out what truely works for me, but I’d like to hear what you think is “enough”.

Hugs from Denmark
Marie

Xoxo

Hannah R. May 5, 2014 - 4:32 pm

I just wanted to thank you guys for putting so much information about gut healing on your blog. It has been very helpful to me. I have had problems for a while, but I recently went to a holistic doctor and now I’m on an elimination diet at the moment. Its feels very overwhelming at times but your recipes and tips have helped a lot:)

Amanda J May 6, 2014 - 7:28 pm

ohhhh, I can’t wait! I’m still dealing with the sluggish system and am so tired of spending tons of money on different supplements, trying EVERYTHING and then getting no change (and subsequently feeling really really depressed about the situation). As much as I would never wish digestion problems on anyone, it’s comforting to know I’m not alone in this! Looking forward to the posts/series. You two ladies rock!