first trimester favorites and {pregnancy} week 16

So excited to be sharing more pregnancy updates with you. I am currently in my 16th week. 4 months pregnant. Crazy! And even more crazy that baby M is the size of an avocado. Love it… as avocado is a fav of mine 🙂

Not only am I sharing my week 16 update but my first trimester favorites!! Things that really helped with my first few months of being pregnant. Hopefully they can help you too now or in the future. As I enter my second trimester I wanted to share what helped me at the beginning, hoping it helps you in some way.

The first trimester can be difficult for some women,  I was blessed with a fairly easy first 3 months.   I definitely feel like I have been pretty fortunate. I worked hard during my first three months with running and growing our online fitness program, growing our blog, keeping up with house chores, taking care of Jax (he needs lots of attention) and keeping up with my own (and baby M’s) health that those 3 months went by quickly. I did not get to finish everything that I had set out to do in terms of growing our business, but I am determined to reach some of those goals soon!

pregnancy: 1st trimester must-haves

first trimester favorites for first time being pregnant and having skin issues

(Pin this image)

Belli acne control spot treatment to help with those occasional pimples ( I saw Tina mention she liked this product), plus using essential oils on face to help like Frankincense Essential Oil

folate that I took before getting pregnant and a few weeks into it and now taking a multi-vitamin

coconut oil for brushing teeth, using as body oil and enjoying heavily in my diet; gave me the energy I needed each day

this pregnancy journal –  I like how you have something to read about the growing baby inside of you and there are places for you to write notes

DoTerra essential oils – loving lavender and  serenity to help me sleep,  on guard to keep me healthy, and peppermint to help with bloating and any nausea or headaches. (Michelle is an independent seller of DoTerra oils, if you have any questions on how to order some please email us. If you join our team it’s a win-win for everyone to make a little side $)

These yoga pants and these ones – so comfortable. I got the next size up than I normally wear and it has been perfect. Loose and comfy. Love wearing cute and comfy clothes while my body is growing.

cuteline3-01

baby update at 16 weeks pregnant purelytwins

pregnancy week 16 update:

Current food cravings?

Always wanting plantain bread.  Like this past Sunday I enjoyed a delicious peanut butter coconut oil mix sandwich for lunch.

plantain peanut butter coconut oil sandwich

Hit the spot. I seriously could eat this every day. I just about do.

plantain turkey sandwich

And for dinner on Sunday I enjoyed a lovely plantain turkey with mustard sandwich.  YUM.

Some days I crave peanut butter (and/or tahini) and a few chocolate cravings. I am not really into grapefruit anymore. Going back to more savory things that are satisfying me.

Any symptoms?

Still dealing with dry stuffy nose with a little blood. My sleep has been good! I toss and turn some, but overall I feel like I am sleeping heavy.  My mood is usually good, some days I get a little moody or lazy. But overall feeling like my normal self.

Stretch marks?

None that I have noticed. I have been putting lemon essential oil on my spider veins (this runs in our family) as I feel some are getting worse. I am excited to see if it helps.

Miss anything?

Sometimes my abs. I know I will get my ‘abs’ again and I am really enjoying this special time! But when you are in the fitness industry and a personal trainer, it’s hard not to have ‘abs’. I know I am weird. Just something that I miss some days. I am trying my best to keep my abs strong through my workouts but miss working the abs really hard.

lori at week 16

How is your skin?

Skin is hanging in there. I did have a few (okay a good bit) of really small red-like pimples here and there on entire face. They weren’t anything huge or really raised off the skin. But still when I don’t have makeup on you can see them. I am still dealing with my two larger pimples on the right side of face. I have been putting some essential oils on them along with the rest of my face routine. And telling myself that I am beautiful and that my face will clear here soon. These pimples are small and that it’s probably only me that really notices them. But coming from an acne prone face background it’s hard not to overthink even the small ones.

How is digestion?

Digestion is normal.  No major issues. My bowel movements have been great! I am going everyday and some days twice! Yay! Happy dance. Just a few days a week I probably get a little bloated or gassy, but nothing too uncomfortable. I am really happy with my digestion and bowel movements lately. Hopefully I can keep it going.  Gotta love those fermented foods and water (and eating lots of coconut oil) to keep me normal.

Total weight gain/loss?

Like I said last week, I am not tracking this so I have no idea.  I might have gained a little. I go back to the doctors in about 2 weeks.  I will probably get weighed again so I can then see if I am gaining the proper weight.

lori week 16 baby bump purelytwins

My baby bump looks just a tad bit larger than last week. Funny how certain times of the day I feel like I have a bump and other times nothing. I usually feel like I just look either ‘fat’ in the belly area or bloated, that I don’t really have a baby bump. I know this is just me, but I feel others look at me with those thoughts.  I feel when I put shirts on they fit a little tighter in the belly area and that I just look bloated.  That I don’t have a cute baby bump. I know, I know I am crazy. And it’s really silly of me to be thinking like this. But being honest. I know my baby bump will come soon as everyone really ‘shows’ differently and at different times. I am happily awaiting my belly to really pop 😉

toning for two

Now for my pregnancy workouts from last week

Most days I was able to get a good sweat in. I was able to do my plank/bridge most mornings. And did pull-ups/chin-ups everyday. And each day I have been doing my kettlebell swings as my warm-up. Again I keep up with the workouts in our purely fit life online workout club, which some of these workouts  below are from.

Monday –  did purely fit life bodyweight workout #3 – a leg based workout, KB swings, 10 minute walk

Tuesday-  did TRX workout, KB swings, 45 minute walk

Wednesday –  did purely training #57 – 18 minute butt workout, KB swings, 20 minute walk

Thursday- filmed a new purely training 18 minute core strength workout, KB swings, 20 minute walk

Friday-  KB swings, 25 minute walk

Saturday- active rest day, yoga (stretching), KB swings, 25 minute walk

Sunday- KB swings, 45 minute walk

pregnancy second trimester working out

For my workouts I felt great during them. I feel I still have decent strength, some days I do feel a little weak and heavy. But keeping up with my weekly workouts is helping me feel good and stay healthy. I look forward to my workouts each day.  I know here soon my workouts might be changing more so I am enjoying that I am still able to do most things.

What I am looking forward to?

Like I mentioned above when my belly really pops 🙂

For other moms out there, did you have mixed feelings about your baby bump? Did you experience the same feelings about your belly like me?  What are some of your first trimester favorites?

What foods are you craving this week?

Who has done their 40 kettlebell swings? Michelle and I will be doing ours later with our workout.

Remember to check-in with us using hashtags #purelytwins and #purelyfitlife so we can encourage each other!!

NEW blog signature-01

Maria April 15, 2014 - 9:19 am

This is sooo lovely! I just love you two – your positivity, your support for one another and other women, your amazing workouts and body imperfections that can be so painful to share, but you share with us anyway…I have been struggling with acne for the first time in my life since I was a teenager (related to getting off and getting on birth control again), and after more than a year of battling this, my face is finally clearing up. I remember some days I was so down on myself, I didn’t even want to go outside or see anyone. I felt worthless and ugly. But I saw and followed your struggles with it too, and how you continued on and were openminded to different ways to treat it (I use the oil cleansing method and will never go back!), and to just listen to your body and be good to it, which is exactly what I do now. I just wanted you two to know that you’ve been an inspiration to me for a couple years now, and I think of your journey when I am down and it has helped me. I’m so excited and happy for Lori and hope for all the best in your pregnancy! I look forward to your workouts, recipes, and posts every day. You and Michelle will continue to be part of my healthy living for a very, very long time – thank you for all you do 🙂 <3

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 9:52 am

Maria thank you so much for your years of support!!! We are beyond thrilled that our stories and struggles have helped you!!! 🙂 This makes us soooooo happy!! thank you thank you! hugs

lauraagarwilson (keepinghealthygettingstylish) April 15, 2014 - 11:30 am

Lovely to read your recap! I feel like I’ve had a bump for weeks now, although it’s really just been bloating and fat 😉 I do feel like it’s becoming a proper bump now and I am happy that I actually look pregnant rather than just like I’ve had a good time at a buffet! I’ve found that using belly bands help to shape my bump and make it look more ‘pregnant’ than bloated. This week I also took a natal hypnotherapy class / hypno birthing class, I’m not sure if you’ve looked into it but I would really recommend it, both me and my husband really enjoyed it and some of the relaxation techniques are going to be so helpful for labour 🙂

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 1:03 pm

haha love that – good time at a buffet 😉 I need to start looking into birthing classes, thanks for the reminder!

Lisa April 15, 2014 - 12:13 pm

You look awesome! I totally relate to how you feel about your abs—I didn’t realize how much I loved my abs until they started to disappear. And I won’t lie, even now when my bump is huge at almost 33 weeks, I still think about it (and the abs are long gone…). I am kinda careful who I talk to about it because many people don’t get it (people just say, “oh you’ll be fine, you’ll get your abs back”), but I think you’re right–being in the fitness industry makes it feel more important to show you can achieve and maintain certain things (like defined abs and sculpted arms, etc.). Plus, I doubt there’s any other situation in life besides pregnancy when a body transforms SO much in a short period of time. It’s a bit crazy!
I have gone back and forth between thinking about how I feel right now during pregnancy (and the bump and how it affects my workouts, sleep, etc..) to thinking about the actual birth part, and then finally to thinking about the fact that there’s gonna be a baby at the end of all of this!
How amazing—definitely messes with my head a bit though!

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 1:03 pm

totally agree with you Lisa! my emotions and thoughts are all over the place, glad I am not alone. hugs

Meg @ A Dash of Meg April 15, 2014 - 12:57 pm

mmmmmmmm i just had plantains this morning and thought of you girl 😉 🙂 keep having that coconut oil! yay! i am in a paediatrics class right now for the next few weeks and learnt all about important nutrients for the pregnancy just yesterday 🙂

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 1:03 pm

wahoo yay!!

Ulli April 15, 2014 - 1:18 pm

Glad that you feel good!! Please: take a look at my baby belly pictures from week 20 here: http://fitundgluecklich.net/2014/02/25/20-wochen-schwangerschaft-20-weeks-of-pregnancy/ – you can see that my belly just wasn’t growing, I felt exactly like you did!! Now I’m at 28 weeks and everyone is telling me how small my belly is, but now its definitely a baby belly and I love it! (I made an update at week 25, you can find the pics on my blog too) What I want to say with that: you WILL get your cute baby bump, it just takes time!! And I think the stronger the abs are, the harder it gets for the belly to grow? Someone told me once… so that is a good thing for us, our abs are strong, and we might have an easier time getting our pre-pegnancy shape back afterwards. Thats something that lots of moms would love! And some pregnant friends with huuuuge bellies say that life is just hard with it and that I really am lucky to have such a small one… everything has advantages! And just to say it again: it WILL grow!!! 😉 Have a great day!!

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 3:52 pm

thanks!! yes strong abs good thing 🙂 very true!!

janetha April 15, 2014 - 2:33 pm

you look awesome 🙂 glad you are feeling good.. ughh because first tri for me was hell. i love doterra!

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 3:55 pm

thank you Janetha!! Doterra is the best! glad your 2nd tri is going better!

Laury April 15, 2014 - 3:21 pm

Love this! And I think you look amazing, and not pregnant at all nor bloated. I still see your abs! But I know it’s how you feel, and I completely get how you feel. This is an amazing journey, and all that comes with it is a blessing! Losing abs and all! But you know that!

Laury April 15, 2014 - 3:23 pm

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 3:57 pm

thank you Laury!! hugs It is an amazing journey and yes agree!! hugs

Rachel April 15, 2014 - 8:31 pm

Oh how I am so excited for you! You look amazing and so fit. If I can look like you when and if I am pregnant…wow! I can already tell in your writing…you are going to be such a good mom. You already are showing love to that little one in so many ways.

SO SWEET!

Thanks for sharing the journey.

purelytwins April 15, 2014 - 9:23 pm

thank you Rachel!!! you’re too sweet!! xoxo

GiGi Eats Celebrities April 15, 2014 - 10:53 pm

Mm! I am looking into those yoga pants! I should get maternity yoga pants because with my stomach issues, I am always preggers looking!

I have no doubt in my mind that you’ll find your abs so quickly after little baby is born!!! 🙂

Deanna April 16, 2014 - 7:27 am

It’s totally normal to feel fat or bloated in these early weeks when your belly isn’t looking like that beach ball yet! I think it’s easier if you actually wear a tight fitting shirt and show it off, rather than something loose that obscures it. Just an idea for you!! You’re doing great!!!!!

purelytwins April 16, 2014 - 8:52 am

thanks Deanna!!

Alexa April 21, 2014 - 5:16 pm

Hi! I’m a longtime reader (since your old web site!) Just wanted to say congrats and you look vibrant! Its great to see you lifting weights! I was lucky to have a healthy pregnancy and I lifted weights up until my 39th week! I was able to bike commute to work up until 7 months (until it got too hot outside) and still rode a bike casually until the week before I delivered! There is so much misinformation out there saying that women must stop their usual workouts when pregnant! I am happy to see your illustrating ways to safely continue to lift weights and stay fit with a baby on the way!

Via Radiology Seattle June 9, 2014 - 3:06 pm

Great tips for the first trimester, I especially like the tip of using lemon essential oil on spider veins. Thank yo for giving your work-out for each day it is extremely helpful.

Miley Adam June 27, 2014 - 6:20 am

It is a good tips of first trimester i am very happy to see you as a pregnant. Congratulation 🙂

Johanna February 8, 2015 - 7:29 pm

Hi! I loved your post. I know its old but I still enjoy it since I just got pregnant 🙂 I would love to know if the oil helped with the spider veins? Thank you so much for your story!!!!