We are back in the kitchen again today for our purely talk. But before we get to the recipe yesterday we were able to meet up and chat with a new blogging friend Andrea over at Imperfect Life. Hi Andrea 🙂 We had a great time chatting. We love meeting and building friendships with new people. Working from home and working for yourself can make it hard to get out to actually talk to people. Gary always mentions that to us. So when we get a chance to get out we do.
And as we were talking with Andrea it really reminded us of why we blog. Why we started blogging. And what we want out of our blog, which is to share our passion for fitness, sharing our life and health battles to help others and sharing fun healthy recipes like today!
Just like how other healthy living bloggers eat oatmeal or pancakes everyday and just mix up the toppings or flavor we are no different!
Although we are not oatmeal girls, but plantains, YES! Well we love a good pancake too.
We like to eat plantains (and other foods, but seems like it’s a lot of plantains).
Grain-free, gluten-free, simple beet plantain skillet cake with chocolate glaze.
A little twist on a favorite skillet cake of ours.
Time to get in the kitchen with us. And have a little fun.
A simple cake made from mostly real foods! Easy to customize to meet your taste and needs. Kid friendly too!
We were bummed just like the color change in our heart cookies, this cake did not keep the bright pink color like you saw in the video. But that is okay. This recipe is still Purely Twins approved.
A simple, healthy grain-free skillet cake made from plantains and beets with a chocolate glaze.
making grain-free beet plantain skillet cake
Quick and simple grain-free gluten-free beet plantain protein skillet cake. This cake is best enjoyed the day of or the next day. Store left over cake in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven a little to warm back up. This cake will get dried out over time. Good thing it’s not a big cake. This cake can server around 2 -4 .
- 2 large little yellowish plantains (14oz after being peeled) *can use more ripe ones
- 1/2 cup beet puree (4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons brown rice protein (we like perfect fit protein)
- 1 whole egg (can try chia or flax gels but we’ve not tried it so not sure how well it will turn out)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add a few drops of stevia or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4–6 tablespoons raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- few drops stevia (or 1-2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup)
- Peel and weigh plantains. Lightly chop the plantains and place in blender. Next add in beet puree and the remaining ingredients. Keep blending until smooth and well combined. The batter is thick, so take your time with blending it. It eventually becomes smooth.
- Once blended pour cake batter into an oiled circle pan. We used a cast iron skillet but any circle cake pan will do. Around 8-9 inches.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Or firm to touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool as you make your chocolate glaze.
- In a large bowl combine raw cacao, coconut oil, vanilla and sweetener of choice. Hand mix well.
- Pour chocolate glaze over beet plantain skillet cake.
- Slice into 6 slices and enjoy.
Hope you enjoyed the video and our easy cake recipe!
Do you like making skillet cakes? What topping would you put on this cake? Have you had a beet cake before?