Happy Friday friends!!
Hope you’re doing well today! It’s freezing here. But nothing like bundling up and having a warm burger to keep me warm.
When you think of veggie burgers, what comes to mind? Black beans? Sweet potato? Soy based? Not good? Well, friends we have the ultimate veggie burger that is free of all those things and tastes AMAZING! Yes, amazing! Promise.
Nothing like a good veggie burger to get you through Friday. We mean, you’ve got this yummy meal to look forward to! And most of these ingredients you might already have at home.
Grain-free, egg-free, soy-free, legume-free plantain veggie burger with plantain bread buns topped with tahini basil pepper sauce.
A plantain veggie seed burger… as it contains two of our favorites: hemp seeds and sunflower seeds.
Hemp seeds are a great protein source, contains omega-3 fats, all 20 amino acids and a rich source of phytonutrients. We adore hemp seeds and hemp protein powder. We always have some in our fridge.
Sunflower seeds are good source of selenium and contain magnesium, copper and Vitamin E. Another seed that we adore! Perfect for making savory dishes like this burger!
And our plantain bread makes the perfect burger bun for these burgers.
To make them as buns, we just cooked them in a muffin pan to make more individual buns that we sliced in half. Excellent!
It’s been a really long time since we’ve made a veggie vegan burger and we are sure glad we decided to make a new recipe.
This is now our FAVORITE veggie burger!
And we have this feeling that it will soon be yours too.
A few things that we love about this veggie burger recipe is that it contains no legumes, no soy and no nuts.
Again, we are not necessarily saying veggie burgers made from those are bad. We just prefer not to use them. Just our preference.
We actually thought of this plantain burger before Christmas. And just finally got around to creating it; guess better late than never, right?
We knew we wanted to create a savory recipe using plantains.
And a burger came to mind. Again we are glad it did!
We also love a good veggie burger with some texture. So we did not pulse our hemp seeds and sunflower seeds completely.
And the tahini pepper sauce on top… need we say more?
It really completes this whole veggie burger experience. A touch of basil and sweetness. YUM!
Everything just blends so well together making it the ultimate veggie burger.
Seriously so good. A warm, sturdy, delicious veggie burger.
And made from just 7 simple ingredients. One spectacular veggie burger if we do say so ourselves!! We are pretty darn proud of how well it turned out. Definitely going to be a recipe we make often.
Even Gary, not so thrilled about veggie burgers, loves these burgers. He took a bite and said wow those are really good 😉
Let’s get ready to eat some veggie burgers!
We are so excited to share this recipe with you.
Here’s your burger recipe.Print
grain-free egg-free plantain veggie burger with tahini basil pepper sauce
Healthy grain-free gluten-free egg-free nut-free soy-free legume-free plantain based veggie seed burger with tahini pepper basil sauce. Served with plantain bread as the bun! A dream veggie burger made from simple ingredients and tasty amazing!
- 1 large greenish/yellowish plantain (7oz or 200g once peeled)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds (grind whole seeds into meal)
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 12 fresh leaves of basil
- 2 tablespoons tahini (could use a nut butter you like, might change the taste some)
- 1 tablespoon honey (could use maple syrup or coconut nectar to keep it vegan)
Tahini peper basil sauce:
- 1 red pepper (organic if possible)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- handful of fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon honey (use maple syrup or coconut nectar to keep it vegan)
- And for the bun use one recipe of plantain bread
- First need to peel and steam plantain. **Could try baking the plantain whole if you don’t have a steamer, in 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
- Next, place ground sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, mushrooms, basil and steamed plantain into a food processor.
- Next add in tahini and honey.
- Pulse until together. You can pulse as little or as much as you like. We left ours slightly chunky.
- Batter should be very easy to work with. A little sticky but easy to mold into burger shapes.
- Once all batter is shaped as burger place on a skillet on medium heat. We recommend putting coconut oil or butter in the skillet as it helps cook the veggie burgers better.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Next make tahini pepper sauce.
- Place red pepper, tahini, basil and honey into a mini food processor. Blend together. You may need to add 1-2 tablespoons water to help blend.
- And if you want a bun we used our plantain bread. Follow directions here but bake in muffin pan to make individual buns.
- Slice buns in half.
- And start to build the burger. Top with tahini pepper sauce.
- And enjoy.
We hope you enjoy making this veggie burgers as much as we did! Perfect to enjoy this weekend.
Do you like veggie burgers? What do you like to top your burgers with? Do you like going bun-less? Share your purely thoughts below.
Can’t wait to make these again here soon! And we are already thinking of other burger flavors we could do!