Happy Tuesday. 8 days until Christmas, but who’s counting? 😉
We’re not sure if we really mentioned it yet here on the blog, but we’ve been obsessed with peppermint hot cocoa. Minor obsession. Okay. You got us. Huge obsession. Like everyday. For the past several days, we even filmed a video of us making it. Peppermint chocolate love.
What about adding to that addiction. Sure. Why not?!
How about homemade peppermint chocolate marshmallows!
Oh yea. That will do!
Bring on the love affair to a whole new level.
Nothing beats homemade marshmallows. These marshmallows have Christmas written all over it!
Even better with chocolate and peppermint candy canes. You can hear those jingle bells, right? Christmas is here!
We are beyond thrilled that we can quickly whip up a batch of these low sugar peppermint marshmallows treats to enjoy everyday.
Okay maybe not everyday. But close.
These are far superior to anything you could buy at the store. Especially since they are made with love.
Chocolate, peppermint and marshmallows never tasted to good (and healthy).
As you can tell, we took our low-sugar marshmallows and dipped the bottom half in homemade chocolate sauce then rolled it in crushed candy canes. The candy canes are from Whole Foods. Think they were organic too. Not sure if that really matters or not, but these were amazing!
Kick back and enjoy pure peppermint chocolate bliss!Print
homemade peppermint chocolate marshallows
A delicious batch of homemade peppermint chocolate marshmallows to make the perfect addition to hot chocolate, or homemade treats for the holidays! Go head and enjoy these low sugar peppermint treats!
- Peppermint marshmallows:
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp liquid stevia
- 3 tablespoons gelatin (beef grass-fed based, we use Great Lakes brand)
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (helps with more rounded flavor)
- For chocolate sauce:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid
- 4 tablespoons cacao power (or cocoa)
- few drops of stevia, liquid
- crushed organic candy canes
- Place the 3 tbsp gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer along with 1/2 cup water. Mix together. Let sit for 10 minutes. Have the whisk attachment standing by. **you could use a hand mixer for this
- Next step you can do in a small saucepan , heat up 1/2 cup water over medium high heat. Basically you are looking for about boiling water, where you start to see a few bubbles. Once the water reaches just about boil temperature immediately remove from the heat.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the hot water down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the water, add in vanilla, peppermint extract and liquid stevia and increase the speed to medium-high.
- Beat at medium-high for 1-2 minutes than increase speed to high.
- Continue to whip until the mixture becomes slightly thick, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- While the mixture is whipping prepare the pans as follows.
- We used a bread loaf pan. You can use anything you like.
- Lightly grease your pan with some coconut oil (which is what we do). You could put done wax paper instead if you wanted.
- Once your marshmallow mixture is starting to look like it has some body to it (almost forming peaks), pour the mixture into the prepared pan, using a spatula for spreading. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4-5 hours.
- Once marshmallows have set for a few hours you can start to cut into desired shapes using a sharp knife.
- Crush up candy canes on a large plate.
- Next make the chocolate sauce in a large bowl.
- Begin to dip marshmallows into chocolate sauce.
- Next dip them into the crushed candy canes.
- Place on plate to set.
- Continue until all our covered. You may have to double the chocolate sauce, depends how much marshmallows you want covered.
- Set in cool place. Can place in refrigerator.
- Recommend eating within 3-4 days of making.
Enjoy these colorful Christmas inspired peppermint marshmallows – perfect dessert or snack to be served at your next party.
Now go curl up with a mug of peppermint hot cocoa (especially our quick skinny cocoa) enjoyed with these marshmallows is just icing on the cake. Peppermint cocoa heaven!
Love marshmallows? Check out our other favorites that would be perfect this time of year:
Do you find yourself enjoying hot cocoa more during this time of year? How is your Holiday shopping going?