How are you doing this Friday? We are doing fabulous. You want to know why, sure you do. Well, even if you don’t we are going to tell you anyways. Haha. We are super excited today because we have an awesome recipe to share with you.
We mentioned last week on facebook, we were literally jumping for joy as we could not wait to share this recipe with you!
These healthier roll out sugar cookies are soft and chewy and just as good as a traditional cookie.
We got the best grain-free sugar cookie recipe for you! Yes flourless and egg-free too! And yes they are made from plantains. You guys know that we love to use plantains as our number one go-to ingredient for making flourless recipes.
The best soft grain-free egg-free sugar cookies.
Healthier? Well yes, a little in our eyes.
Now these are SUGAR cookies. So yes they have sugar in them, but we reduced the amount to be a little less sweet. We do like sweet things, but we try not to overdo our sugar intake either. We could have used honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar to be a little more natural and healthier.
Sugar is SUGAR.
We do feel having some sugar is okay to do. All about moderation. And a little sweet fun too. We aren’t huge fans of baking with honey. And using coconut sugar would provided a more darker sugar cookie. We wanted a more snow-like cookie.
We used arrowroot starch in these sugar cookies as we have learned from past baking experiments it helps with the final texture. Arrowroot just works so well. We know we are might receive a few comments… what can we replace the starch with. And to be honest. We are not sure. As again it just worked so well in this recipe
Like sugar, we are okay with having starches from time to time, as we do not always like using a lot of nuts in our recipes. So we do our best to balance everything. We have a vlog coming Saturday where we discuss this more.
In these sugar cookies we did decided to use cashews.
Cashews helped provide a nice soft moist texture to these sugar cookies. By using cashew flour allowed us to reduce the sugar some as they provided a nice depth in flavor.
Soft, chewy sugar cookies that are free of gluten, dairy, grains, and eggs that taste like the real thing!
Hard to eat just one cookie.
We had to put them away fast as we were about to eat them all. They are that amazing. Ridiculously delicious.
These cookies. Seriously. SO good. You can’t tell that they’re made from plantains. Fantastic!
We still have huge smiles on our faces.
This is one recipe we wanted to make so bad this holiday season. A grain-free (and egg-free for our egg-free folks) sugar cookie is all we wanted. We love sugar cookies around the holidays. A family tradition is making a whole batch of sugar cookies with Christmas carols playing. And we decorate them all up. Save a few for Santa, enjoy them ourselves and share with friends.
We usually take an old family sugar cookie recipe that has been passed down and make gluten-free. But now we have these to make too!Print
the best grain-free egg-free sugar cookies!
Easy grain-free vegan roll out sugar cookies. Sweet but overly sweet. A nice soft sugar cookie perfect as is or top with sprinkles or frosting.
- 1 large plantain (7oz once peeled)
- 1/2 cup cashew flour (we made our own from grinding whole cashews into flour)
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (optional, just provides more depth of flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel plantain.
- Place plantain in food processor and pulse.
- Wipe down sides a few times and continue to pulse.
- Add in coconut butter.
- Continue to pulse until it purees. But not overly pureed, where plantains are not quite pureed all the way.
- Place almost fully pureed plantains and coconut butter mixture in a large bowl.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Batter should come together. Will be a little soft and sticky.
- Place dough onto floured surface (we sprinkled down arrowroot and coconut flour).
- Begin roll out cookies using a rolling pin.
- Adding in more coconut flour if it is really wet and sticky.
- Roll out to desired thinness of cookies.
- Grab cookie cutters and cut out shapes. Amount of cookies will vary.
- Place on cookie tray.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
*These cookies are best stored in refrigerator.
Enjoy the best soft and chewy grain-free egg-free sugar cookies!
Make sure to make some for Santa 😉
Do you like sugar cookies? Do you like them plain, with sprinkles or with frosting?