what time do we get up, go to bed and thoughts on meal times

Hey luvs,

Happy Thursday! We still can’t believe it’s already October! Where did September go?!? This month is a very busy month for us with some traveling and such. But we are making the most of it each day and doing our best to stick to a schedule when we can.

For us, it can be hard when traveling or when we are really busy to stick to a normal schedule. Does that happen to anyone else? We always write out our to-do list in hopes that we will stay on track, but something always happens and we realize nothing on our to-do list has gotten done. Oops.

Our eats (thank goodness for plantain bread) and sleep patterns change a lot especially when traveling. Again we take it in strides and make the most of it. We try our very best not to stress too. As we know stress can only make things worse.Β  Sometimes easier said than done πŸ˜‰

Moving onto today’s Purely Talk we are answering a readers, Stacy, question:

What times do we wake up, eat, and go to bed? How much time general lapses between meals?

purely talk-01

Great questions Stacy. Thank you for asking.

This actually is a question we receive frequently, especially during our gut healing journey. We were surprised by how many people were curious about timing of our eats, etc.

We hope you enjoy the video below of us addressing these questions.

To recap the video:

• Our schedule varies just about everyday but we do try to get to bed at a reasonable hour.
  • We aim to get up between 6am-6:30, although on the weekends we tend to sleep in a little.
  • Our purely fitters received a detailed overview of what a typical day looks like for us, but as we mentioned in the video we just eat when hungry and when we can eat (again when traveling our meal times are not ideal sometimes).
  • We feel meal times are not that important as long as you eat an overall balanced diet. You will get all the nutrients you need to replenish and nourish your body throughout the day.

We do not believe in food rules. We believe in listening to YOUR body. If you’re hungry when you wake up, then eat. If you get hungry before bed, then eat.

We feel many of us need to reduce the stress over meal times and if you eat before bed or not. Stress can be the enemy for so many things. Remember no one is perfect. We’re not. So go ahead and take that pressure off of you. Just #bepurelyyou and enjoy life. Enjoy the foods you like and enjoy eating those foods when you can. Don’t over-think things too much πŸ™‚

Maybe we are wrong about not worrying about meal times.

But we just feel your body tells you when it’s hungry if you are truly listening. And in today’s world we all don’t have perfect days when we can eat when we want. We have to make adjustments. And we feel that is okay and we shouldn’t worry too much if that is right or wrong.

what time we get up and go to bed

Once you start to slow down and really learn your body, it will eventually all start working like it’s supposed to. Where you will be able to distinguish true hunger signs.Β  You will be able to eat without feeling guilty.

And of course we all know how important sleep can be.Β  We try our best to get enough sleep, but again we are not perfect. And sometimes you might have to work late, so eating a nighttime snack is good. Or you have to wake up very early and need an extra meal to give you energy. And that is okay too.

Overall, we try to just get good sleep, not worry about how many hours we get. And we don’t think too much about when we last ate, we just eat when we are hungry or when our schedules allows us to eat.

Twins Question: What time do you go to bed and get up? Do you eat first thing or wait until hungry? Do you worry about your meal times?

#bepurelyyou

be passionate and fit,

L&M

Anna @ Fitness Γ  la Anna October 3, 2013 - 10:30 am

I am definitely a get-up-and-eat type of gal – I tend to get hangry pretty fast if I don’t have something more or less as soon as I get up haha. But that’s what works for me πŸ™‚

Jojo @ RunFastEatLots October 3, 2013 - 10:32 am

I’ve been eating dinner at around 9pm lately because of my work hours. It’s definitely not ideal, and I like to eat dinner at 6, but I guess it’s just something I’ll have to get used to.
The time I go to bed depends on when the sun rises. Over the summer, I was getting up around 5am so I can be out the door just a little after sunrise to beat the heat (which means going to bed before 10). Now, I get up around 6:30 (and go to bed at 11)

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:48 pm

ya sometimes we eat really late, it’s not ideal but we just go with it πŸ™‚

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 3, 2013 - 11:56 am

Very interesting topic!

I typically wake up around 6:30-7 these days, and I almost always eat within a half hour of waking up. Some of that may be out of habit, but usually I’m hungry when I wake up. I go to bed around 10-10:30 most nights, and usually will have some sort of snack or dessert around 8ish. Other than that, I don’t really have set “meal times” – I just eat when I’m hungry and go with it!

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:49 pm

awesome Ashley glad you just go with it too πŸ™‚

Kristine October 3, 2013 - 12:00 pm

It’s funny how we can be so controlled by the clock. We monitor the clock to determine when to wake, when to eat, when to eat next, when to excercise, how long to sleep!!! It’s insane! I love that you girls really listen to your bodies. I think when we release the clock’s control we enjoy the blessings of life just a bit more… like that extra treat before bed, hehe.

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:50 pm

exactly πŸ™‚ thanks sweetie

Toni Wengel October 3, 2013 - 1:35 pm

I get up around 4:30 a.m. during the week so I can get my exercise in before my kids get up to get ready for school – weekends I sleep in a little. My bedtime is early, after working all day, coming home to help with homework and all the other “mommy” things I am pooped by 9:30 p.m. As far as meals: in the morning and during the day I eat when I’m hungry. I don’t have a set time. I usually start dinner when I get home from work – everyone is usually hungry by the time the food hits the plates :).

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:50 pm

awesome Toni!!! you’re amazing, keep it up!!

lindsay October 3, 2013 - 2:15 pm

i agree. meal times vary here. just depends on when we are hungry,etc. usually up at 5:30 am for my husbands swim and meal prep (COFFEE) and then sleep around 10pm. sometimes i am a grandma and go to bed at 9

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:51 pm

important meal prep -coffee- yes very important!!! haha we are grandmas too sometimes with going to be early πŸ˜‰

Kasey@Powercakes.net October 3, 2013 - 5:42 pm

I totally agree with you!!! ;] I used to live by food rules but now I am way more free with it and usually just eat 3-4 meals a day sometimes more sometimes less…depends on when I’m hungry and my schedule that day!

LOVE YOU LADIES!

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:52 pm

love you too sweetie, and yay for just being more free with food and meal times!! HUGS

Alisha October 3, 2013 - 7:18 pm

Hey Lori and Michelle! I have actually wanted to ask this very question, and it turns out that I wasn’t the only one. πŸ™‚
Well, I work odd hours as a hospital switchboard operator, working part-time as needed. My schedule varies from week to week. Normally I work 4pm-10pm and I have about a 30 minute commute to work. So, I don’t get home from work til almost 11pm. Usually in bed around midnight. But I’m not sleepy at that time…so I read awhile–until I am sleepy, which is usually around 1:00AM or so. Normally I awake between 9AM-10AM.
Morning routine: In the order listed: use bathroom, splash face with cool water, brush teeth & scrape tongue, apply olive oil to face, drink a tall glass of room temperature water while sitting on my loveseat with my cat(as I still am giving the fog in my head to lift,as it takes me a while to get awake). By about 11:30AM-12PM I will eat breakfast, usually, sometimes a little earlier or later. I wait about 30 minutes after I drink the water to eat. πŸ™‚

purelytwins October 3, 2013 - 9:53 pm

What a crazy schedule you have, Alisha you’re awesome!! Keep up with working with your schedule, and enjoy your morning πŸ™‚ hugs

Alisha October 3, 2013 - 11:45 pm

πŸ™‚ Hugs back to ya! My ideal schedule would be to go to bed around 9PM, rise around 4:30AM, and work a job that I thoroughly enjoy from 7AM-3PM. I will one day. Just have to do the best we can do. Love ya’ll!

Cat October 4, 2013 - 10:44 am

I love this, such an important topic to me right now. I’m aware of how important sleep is and I aim for 8 hours, bed between 9.30-10 and wake up 5.30/6 – easier said than done though! When my sleep is thrown off I try to get as much rest in as possible and eat really well, and it all seems to balance out. Like you girls say the most important thing is to not stress yourself out, and your body (and mind!) takes care of the rest!

Mandie Marie @ The Fruitful Turtle October 4, 2013 - 3:54 pm

I love this video…I was actually wondering what time you guys wake up, workout and eat πŸ™‚
I would love to get up by 5, but that seems to never work out πŸ˜‰
I’m up by 6:30 and (try) to workout before I eat

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) October 5, 2013 - 10:27 am

ha! look every week for me varies. sometimes i get in 4 workouts and other weeks like this one, i’ve only worked out 1x so far and it’s saturday haha. honestly, you just can’t stress out over that stuff. life happens and you just need to go with the flow. the sooner i let go of trying to control stuff, the more peaceful and relaxed my life seems even in the midst of a chaotic schedule.

i get up between 630-715 on weekdays and am at work at 830. my meal times vary, i never eat breakfast (or hardly ever) and have lunch around noon..sometimes i don’t get to have it until 1 of 230. i usually eat dinner around 6 and have a snack around 830 and am in bed by 11.