macro time

Good Morning luvs,

Glad everyone is liking our new purely fit life workout. And we loved hearing from you all on not fitting into any diet.

We have a busy day editing videos and pictures, plus other work. We hope to film some purely talk videos. This Thursday will be a fun (a little different) one so make sure you come back for that. As well as new recipes coming…think warm,cheesy, and crunchy for tomorrows recipe.

purelyfitness-logo

saturday plank workout

plank workout

workout and juice

take action

yoga

yoga

We have been sweating, planking, jumping, and stretching these bad few days with our #purelypower Purely Fit Life workouts. Last week was a tough week and this week started off nicely with some YOGA.

Remember you can join Purely Fit Life Workout program at any time.

purely eats logo-01

green juice vegan english muffin breakfast

english muffin

mmm cannot seem to get enough protein english muffins!

a simple balanced breakfast to start our day.

coffee

Nothing makes us more happy then a good cup of coffee.

okay, maybe a good meal or workout makes us just as happy too.

ahh, the simple joys in life ๐Ÿ™‚

best meal ever

After work we enjoyed some local eggs, duck egg, and sausage (a new purchase we got at the farmers market) all cooked in coconut oil, and we served it with crispy plantain fries and more coconut oil.

AMAZING.

BEST meal ever.

It has been a few weeks since we have had eggs, so this meal tasted like gold to us. We are excited to be enjoying eggs again, well for the time being. So far our skin seems good. And one other thing to note we both felt great after eating this meal too. No stomach issues. ย We thought it would be fun to share the macros for it — these are just estimates as we were not 100% sure on the sausage, but close enough.ย Fat – ย 40 g ย Carbs – 33 g Protein – 24 g. ย We were pretty happy with these numbers.

We don’t track everything we eat. One, we don’t have the time. Second, not everything is easy to figure out –> how much fat, carbs, etc. For instance when we make our recipes we eat them. We don’t worry too much about the macros.

We are generally aware of what is in our meals, especially since we focus on eating as much real food as possible. The meals we feel great afterwards, we sometimes take the time to see what the macros were for that meal. This allows us to continue to find what our bodies like and don’t like.ย

new dessert recipe

Later on we enjoyed a new recipe that is on the long list of recipes to share.

We struggled with not eating this whole recipe. haha we love desserts!

fermented veggies

Cultured veggies anyone?

We finally got around, well Lori did the work, to making fermented veggies again! We did it slightly differently than how we used to, so hopefully it works.

salmon dinner with plantains and avocado

We have mentioned a few times here about us playing around with macros and meal times. Well dinner is one meal we have been trying to make a big meal. Not everyday it ends up being our biggest meal, but we love when we get to fill up at night as we have noticed we sleep better when are dinners are balanced and filling. Plus it keeps us full so we don’t always crave a late night snack.

Well that is from us today! Hope you all have a great day!

Twins Question: Do you have a big or small dinner? Do you notice a difference in your sleep based upon what you eat at night?

Do you make fermented veggies?

till next time,

Lori and Michelle

Lisa July 23, 2013 - 11:58 am

So agree coffee time is happy time;)
Oh yum, those cultured veggies look awesome!
Hm, I typically do the small meals thing – so I do usually have a big Snack because I notice if I eat a bigger meal I get very uncomfortable and pretty bad stomach pain. Silly IBS.

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 12:37 pm

oh yes those tummy issues always hard to figure out sometimes, but happy to hear that small meals are working for you ๐Ÿ™‚ and coffee cheers dear friend xoxo

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 23, 2013 - 12:09 pm

I have that same Tone It Up tank! ๐Ÿ™‚ One of my favorite workout shirts!

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 12:36 pm

mine too ๐Ÿ™‚

jen July 23, 2013 - 12:47 pm

I’ve wanted to make cultured veggies for so long! Those look yummmmy. I definitely notice a difference in my energy and sleep with the size of my meals throughout the day. Dinner has to be the big one because I won’t sleep well if I have a rumbly belly. I’ve also been noticing that I sleep better if I have some time of carb at dinner.

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 2:28 pm

Jen same here.

michelle July 23, 2013 - 1:50 pm

great post AS USUAL! my digestive system has been a mess for months (and skin…for years), but I think I’ve gotten a “groove” with it lately. Most of my eats are fruits, veggies- starchy and non, and fats. I don’t really have the funds to get tested for food intolerances/allergies whatever, but you ladies have helped me figure a lot out. I stay away from too much gluten, dairy almost never; haven’t been able to tolerate that for a while now, but I found a great way to enjoy veggies. Steaming! My instagram (pbnapples) has featured a lot of steamed stuff lately, but I’m finding it so much easier to digest& rarely get bloated on it! You know how crummy the big stomach bloat is:/
sorry for the long post, just wanted to thank you two again for helping me and my body with your posts and workouts!!

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 2:30 pm

Michelle yes steaming is a great way to enjoy veggies!! Glad you have found a groove, and that we have been able to help some ๐Ÿ˜‰

amanda jewell July 23, 2013 - 3:46 pm

umm your breakfast looks awesome. eggs + sausage + crispy plantains = freaking delicious combo.
i’ve got to get my hands on some duck eggs.. do they taste any different?

My dinner is moderately sized for the most part. Thanks to you ladies (and Stefani Ruper (paleoforwomen)), I’ve been more interested in playing with macros/portion sizes lately. Having PCOS, my leptin levels are off so in an attempt to restore them and alleviate my amenorrhea (http://www.paleoforwomen.com/the-physiology-of-womens-weight-loss-part-ii-appetite-and-weight-regulation/), I’m thinking about cutting out snacking for 1-2 weeks and focusing on 3 large, satisfying meals a day to see if I notice any changes. Still more research to do.

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 5:10 pm

we don’t find duck eggs to taste that much different, for us we find them more satisfying!! yes we have been loving our 3 big meals with limited days of where we snack. oh the joys of fixing hormones. hugs

Jill July 25, 2013 - 11:27 pm

Did you see Stephanie Ruper’s latest post regarding HA? Many people are misdiagnosed with pcos and it ought to be HA (in other words , eliminate or drastically reduce exercise, eat a crapton and gain back your period). You might want to check out Paige at “Your Trainer Paige”…she fixed her PCOS and regained period…no diet obsessions, ..yes she eats cleanly, but the Stress of trying to be “paleo” or this or that would harm MORE than anything else, so she knows her limits…also Courteney at Sweet Tooth Sweet Life or Lindsay at “a running tale”, etc…they regained their periods, are preganant or had babies by now.
Check out Matt Stone “eat for heat” and Gwyneth Olwyn’s article on “Your eatopia”.

purelytwins July 26, 2013 - 8:31 am

Jill thanks for sharing, we know these girls and follow them. We are both doing well with our bodies and diet. We do not stress about being paleo (as we have never really ever said we were), actually think we have found what works for us. Both our doing really well in all parts of our life.

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped July 23, 2013 - 5:42 pm

Love fermented veggies! Look great ๐Ÿ™‚

Beth July 23, 2013 - 9:15 pm

what are the foods in that last pic? Salmon, avocado, and what else?

Beth July 23, 2013 - 9:21 pm

and how do you make your plantain fries, please!

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 9:40 pm

we will be sharing soon

purelytwins July 23, 2013 - 9:41 pm

lettuce, with raw spiralized zucchini and few plantain fries.

Morgan July 23, 2013 - 10:38 pm

I love all the pics you put in your blog posts, those simple meals are so delish looking and remind me that eating clean doesn’t have to be complicated! I’m trying my hardest to stick to 3 meals a day, but that 3:00 afternoon slump (probably from my boring desk job) almost always gets me and I have some Tanka buffalo bites or an apple with nut butter. Dinner must be big or else I will crave a late night snack. Almost everytime I give into that snack, I don’t sleep as well bc I get bloated.

As for fermenting veggies, I will try this soon! I am on my second purchased jar now, starting to finally like the taste. My current project is bone broth, in the crockpot now!

Thanks girls ๐Ÿ™‚
IG: MorgHenley

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution.com July 23, 2013 - 11:00 pm

Everything looks delicious! I don’t get home from training until 9, so our dinners are often on the “med” side. By 9, i am starving but I hate eating a ton right before bed.

But I sleep like a baby regardless after a long day of exercise!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 23, 2013 - 11:20 pm

I want that chocoalte covered deliciousness recipe! ๐Ÿ™‚

Eating later at night doesn’t seem to bother me, but I am trying to make more of an effort to eat more earlier in the day. I think it will help my energy level, not to mention balance is better for general fitness.

I’m really interested in macros – I’m about to start a new competiton diet appriach that will use them. And I’m going to learn to pay attention to possibly bloating foods. I didn’t realize foods can make you bloat as much at 24 hours later!

Heather @ Better With Veggies July 23, 2013 - 11:35 pm

Recently, I think my 3 main meals have been about the same size. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed an impact on my sleep, but I haven’t really thought about it before. I love how happy you both look in your workout photos everyday! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lucie@FitSwissChick July 24, 2013 - 6:49 am

All your food looks so good and I can not wait to see that recipe!
I go to bed very early so I try to eat a smaller meal – works best for my sleeping quality!!

Miz July 24, 2013 - 8:36 am

interesting!
I have a BIG dinner usually but thats with the child and early ๐Ÿ™‚ like…5?
then a little dinner with the husband around 8.

Wendy July 24, 2013 - 10:56 am

I feel so much better and sleep better with having a larger evening meal that includes a bit of a starchy carb such as Kabocha or even the plantains. I’m getting ready to try to reintroduce avocado- wish me luck!!! Was avocado one of the foods that caused skin issues for either of you?

purelytwins July 24, 2013 - 12:21 pm

So far we both seem to be doing fine with adding in avocados back into our diet, our skin does not seem to be changing. So we do not think they have anything to do with our skin issues. We hope you are able to enjoy them again too!!

Jill July 25, 2013 - 11:19 pm

You guys… I need to email you again…gah ! SO lost (
I NEVER crave a bedtime snack, but I emotionally have one…like tonight at 10:30 pm I had 2 cups of frozen grapes +1/4 cup almonds + a serving of hemp protein mixed with almond milk….see ?? I definitely DID not want it…just emotionally binging. Chronically achy and fatigued, in my 30’s, obviously a metabolic/hormonal/gut disrepair mess and binging , yet ironically underweight and too exhausted to exercise. I know my gut and hormones are off the wall and I know I’m so slow in head and movement due to metabolism, etc. I’m just so lost.
I am attempting now to go egg + dairy free and life without eggs is not fun. I’m just plain confused and want a manual on exact meal plans cause its all so freakin’ confusing ๐Ÿ™
I did however hear about a book called “you know your body best” about different oxidation types, etc…I dunno…all obsessive and not cool. I want my life back versus this obsession over ….this. I am so sick of my guts and head and heart and body being so slow and messed up. Exhausting. K…vent over ๐Ÿ™‚

Beth July 26, 2013 - 7:28 pm

Hi ladies, how do you make zucchini noodles and kelp noodles? Thanks!

purelytwins July 27, 2013 - 11:02 am

Beth we have a spiralizer to make them.

Beth July 27, 2013 - 11:03 am

but do you cook them or peel them?

purelytwins July 27, 2013 - 3:30 pm

we normally eat zucchini raw.

Beth July 26, 2013 - 8:09 pm

And how to you make your salmon? What do you season it with? What kind is your favorite? I’m surprised the amount of fat in the salmon along with the avocado isn’t too much for your sensitive tummies. I heard that fats are hard to digest and too much at once is not good for the tummies?

purelytwins July 27, 2013 - 11:03 am

Not for us, we love fats. More fat the better. We just baked salmon or grill, no seasonings. But you can add whatever flavorings you like.

Christina July 30, 2013 - 7:38 pm

I love your guy’s message about finding the diet that is right for you. I’m still trying to find what is best for me, identify triggers foods for my IBS and SIBO, while trying to lean out around my tummy and adding muscle all around. As you can imagine, the “experts” have different views depending on who you talk to. My “diet” mostly resembles paleo but I still do my own thing. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I do have to credit the paleo lifestyle to introducing me to healthy fats. I love my healthy fats but I noticed I wasn’t getting the results (leaner tummy/more muscles) I wanted. So I started tracking my macros and cut down some of the fats and added carbs (starchy veggies like plantains, acorn squash, etc). I actually feel less bloated and starting to the abs again. As far as fitness is concerned, do you guys also incorporate high intense cardio to your routines? If so, how often? Thank you for reading my novel! =)

purelytwins July 30, 2013 - 7:43 pm

Christina that is awesome that you are listening to your body! As not all of us do best with high fats!! Keep it up. We try to do one sprint interval a week.

Christina July 30, 2013 - 7:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have also been trying to do more sprint intervals. I know you don’t track all your food but do you guys aim for a certain macro ratio or just maintain balanced macros?

purelytwins July 30, 2013 - 8:11 pm

we are still working on what macros work for us, some days they are balanced.