Today’s question comes from a blog reader Simone for another Purely Talk episode.
When is it best to have carbs, before you workout or after a workout?
As we mentioned in our healthy fats video, there are a lot of factors to take it when it comes to health and nutrition.
You cannot always just focus on one macronutrient, but consider the whole person’s lifestyle from diet to exercise to stress.
Carbs can be a HOT topic as there a ton of different views and opinions on carbs:
- what are good source of carbs
- good vs bad carbs
- when to eat carbs
- no carbs after 3
- no carbs after 7
- eat carbs only after working out
- how much to carbs to eat
- carb loading
And there are a lot more ideas… about carbs… but you get the point. It can be confusing! Who do you believe? What do you believe?
There was a moment when we were scared of carbs, mainly due to our healing gut and acne. We never thought carbs were necessarily BAD, we were just not sure if they were causing US inflammation or not. Well, over time we are learning how much carbs our bodies like.
When is the best time to eat carbs?
- pre-workout –> if you workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach that is fine, but if you were to workout later in the day having some carbs pre-workout would be good
- post-workout –> we try to get most of our carbs post-workout, as well as a little carbs at other meals but majority post-workout.
- after 3pm? –> depends on your fitness goals, your fitness level, and when you workout. We feel if you workout at night, of course it is fine to have carbs afterwards even if that is at 9pm.
- so when is the IDEAL TIME to eat carbs? —> DEPENDS! We know vague answer but honestly it depends on your individual body and how it handles carbs. If you are training for something, if you are fixing your metabolism, if you are trying to maintain your weight, or if you are losing weight, if you are healing your gut, if you are healing your acne —> all these require different stance on what carbs and how much carbs to have.
So our little advice, take it as you will, is it try focusing on eating carbs around when you are most active. If you are someone who has an active lifestyle all day long you can probably have carbs throughout the day. And if you are intrigued by carb loading, experiment with it and see how your bodies do.
Don’t fear carbs! Carbs can are another important macronutrient. We are not getting into the details of what carbs do for the body, just sharing general thoughts on when to eat them.
It just might take some time finding what kind of carbs your body thrives on and what ones help reach your goals. Like with everything else we say here on purelytwins —> experiment. That is what we are doing with our carbs and documenting things along the way!
We sometime have carbs all day long then there are days when we just have it first half of the day. It really all depends.
Here are some more articles about what to eat before and post workout:
Pre and Post workout nutrition
Again these are just are thoughts. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. And you might be a person who really thrives off carbs and that is great. But there might be a person who cannot handle a lot of carbs, and that is okay too. FIND YOUR BALANCE.
Twins question: When do you eat your carbs – pre or post or both? Do you see a difference with your carb intake at eating them at different times of the day? What is your favorite post-workout carb?
till next time,