Purely Talk 3: what diet is best for digestion?

Hello friends!

Today we have our 3rd Purely Talk Q&A video for you guys. We are been receiving more and more questions that we are planning on getting to them all soon. Thanks again for everyone for asking us questions.

purely talk-01

Now again we are not doctors but we do have a strong passion for health/nutrition and fitness related things. We have been on our own personal gut healing journey to help heal all our other health issues. As we all know by now how important the gut is for overall health. If you have a poor gut, you probably have poor health in some way. Of course there are exceptions.

purelytalk 3

For our journey healing the gut to improve our digestion and bowel movements was important. We feel having a strong digestion means you are absorbing the nutrients from the food you are eating, and then going to the bathroom regularly means you are getting rid of the bad stuff. Therefore your health should be good! And ever since we did our 30 day gut healing journey we have been getting stronger each month with our overall digestion.

It took awhile to get more comfortable with the way we have been eating but we couldn’t be more happy with where we are with our eats. Now remember things can change down the road. Now that we are healing, we feel more comfortable with our diet and are okay if we have to change things from time to time. It is not about being perfect, but more of making sure you are happy and enjoying life and feeling good!

We have already discussed some of our thoughts what diet is better raw-vegan or paleo for digestion?

A dear reader of ours Hanna asked us our thoughts if going more paleo helped with digestion and hormone balance!

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 3.54.32 PM

Great question! A tough one too as there are many sides to this debate. Today we share from our personal experience what we have learned from both ways of eating.

Here are some key takeaways from the video:

1. really listen to your body to see what foods it likes
  2. what foods you may gravate to might depend on where you live
  3. what foods your body may like at that moment may change depending on your current stress level and health situation
  4. don’t worry too much if it is paleo or raw/vegan – just focus on is your body liking it or not
  5. yes we do feel eating more ‘paleo’ like has helped with our digestion and balancing out hormones

Digestion:

Yes meat can be hard to digest, but so can some raw foods and certain vegetables. We find fattier meats to be easier to digest than lean ones. Taking a digestive enzymes does help. We try to keep our meals simple, which helps with our digestion. Make sure to chew food well!  There are other supplements that can help with digestion. You can see what we took during our gut healing.

Hormones:

If you eat meat, make sure you get good quality meat. You do not want ones that have been injected with hormones. Eating a plant-based diet can help with hormones. But eating fats helps too! So we recommend getting a variety to help keep the body balanced.  Taking hormone balancing supplements can help. We take vitex and maca at the moment.

It is important to eat good quality foods to help with both digestion and hormones. As well as – not over eating but make sure you are getting enough calories for energy, find how much your body can handle of certain foods, avoid foods that cause irritation, and eat when happy.

Other interesting reads about this topic:

Paleo diet challenge: it’s all about the gut

Paleo vs vegan

Vegan diet caused health problems and is paleo better

Raw foods diet : Ayurvedic approach

Raw foods and juicing from Dr. Wilson

Why raw?

Always fun for us to read different articles to give us a view from both sides.

We still hope to one day play around with eating more raw foods, but for now we are still focusing on healing our gut. And if that means more cooked food with some paleo like eats then that is what we will do. Everyone can handle different things, so remember find what works for you. Don’t be afraid to do different things than what others are doing –> keep finding what works for your body.  Like we mentioned in video, we feel there is really no right or wrong way to heal. It is finding what works for your body and lifestyle! #bepurelyyou

Twins Question: How is your digestion? Do you notice things that help it? Or hurt it? Have you read any interesting articles recently that you would like to share?

Christa @ Edible Balance June 6, 2013 - 5:59 pm

great video girls! I love your approach, as you know. I’m looking forward to trying new things for the next three weeks!

purelytwins June 6, 2013 - 8:41 pm

thanks girl!! HUGS

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 6, 2013 - 10:03 pm

I’m not sure if you have mentioned this before, but as for your digestive issues, what exactly were the issues? Was it just bloating, gas, pain, etc? Or was it also constipation or diarrhea? Just curious because I’m still trying to figure it all out for myself! 🙂

purelytwins June 7, 2013 - 7:39 am

we had bloating, trapped gas issues and pain, and also dealt with extreme constipation. it is hard to figure out but through trying different things has helped us.

Jill June 10, 2013 - 9:26 pm

Wow, this describes me exactly. In fact I’m embarrassed at just how rock bottom my situation has gotten. I’ve followed your journey and really applaud you. Could you PLEASE email me ? I know we are all different, but I’m so low and discouraged, I’ll take any “food for thought”. I am so lost and really just ….down.

Sam June 7, 2013 - 12:30 pm

Great video, ladies. I’m glad that you’ve been so open about your dietary changes and how you’ve been feeling. It is a touchy subject, I know, as I’m in the same boat. I’m also glad to hear that you’re not scared to add fats back into your diet – and that you recommend it. I feel like girls are so hesitant to cut fat out of their diet in today’s society because of the social stigma to be thin, and it’s a vital part of normal, everyday digestion.

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast June 7, 2013 - 3:05 pm

I really love that you girls are doing this. I was nodding along in agreement to everything you said. The bioindividuality is really the KEY! I love this piece of my health coaching- helping people see that their body is unique and learning how to listen to it (as opposed to the latest fads) is so important.
Have a great weekend!

Hannah June 9, 2013 - 7:14 pm

Thank you guys so much for addressing my question!! You both have so much insist and I’m so glad you share it!! The video was great and helped me a lot!! I’ve started eating paleo for a couple of weeks and it has helped tremendously!! Thank you again and God bless you both!

purelytwins June 10, 2013 - 10:22 am

so happy to hear it Hannah!!! HUGS

Adventures in Dressmaking June 10, 2013 - 10:44 pm

I just love how you guys have a balanced view of health and food, and don’t stick to a hardcore vegan perspective when other things make sense! I was raw vegan for 3 years and my IBS and digestion totally improved at least in the beginning, but I think it was mostly just because I cut out all grains and processed foods. Now I’m Paleo and still stay away from dairy except butter, and of course all grains and legumes, and my digestion is EVEN better! They say bone broth is essential for healing the gut (and all kinds of other things), and we’ve been making bone broth a lot and trying to drink it every day if I can. I feel so much better now!