sushi bad or good?

Hello friends!!

Happy Wednesday! Yesterday seemed to fly by for us. Guess that is what happens when you are busy and have a fun weekend ahead 🙂

Plus we received some special things in the mail yesterday. Love getting things in the mail!

purelyfitness-logo

plank workout backcore

Did our 12 minute full body plank workout followed by our #PFChallenge back exercises.

12 minute plank workout

Love these simple moves  like plank, bridge, and supermans . Love how they have a physical focus but help mentally as well!

More June #PFChallenge check-ins 🙂

checkins

Great job ladies with the 5 minute plank!!!

cuteline3-01

purely eats logo-01

Lori’s day:

easy yum breakfast

Green juice (kale, romaine, fresh mint, fresh ginger, and cucumber). Along with my favorite — bananas and eggs cooked in some ghee topped with cardamom, ginger and coconut oil.

lunch meal

Lunch was a plate filled with more food love — avocado, spiralized zucchini, sauted mixed greens, local duck egg, sauerkraut and plantains chips with coconut oil. This lunch kept me full for hours! I also felt like my body did well with it. Even though I was full I had no bloating and was able to get work done all afternoon. Oh yay!

group necklace

Received some special gifts in the mail!

We can’t wait to start wearing this beautiful jewelry and share more details with you! Also think of a giveaway in the future 🙂

jax on floor

Played with Jax and took him on a  nice walk which tired him out! Tired vizsla is a happy vizsla (and happy mom)!

dandy tea jax

Enjoyed some dandy tea late in the afternoon.

simple dinner

Dinner I kept it simple with some white rice (that was cooked in bone broth), yellow squash, salmon, half avocado and some coconut oil. And this time I remembered my sea salt!  Love!

Michelle’s recap:

coconut water

Enjoyed a coconut water post workout as I did some work and waited for the sun to come up.

egg spinach banana breakfast

A little bit later after doing some work I got hungry. Made myself my usually egg banana mash this time added in some cooked spinach and of course coconut oil!  This went perfectly with my morning coffee.

beach

Sadly the sun never came out for me, so I headed back into town.

green smoothie

Enjoyed a wonderfully THICK smoothie for lunch!

Loved it. Sometimes smoothies truly hit the spot.

sushi

Dinner out again with the parents. This time to my favorite sushi place!! (You were missed Lori)

Enjoyed some tuna to start then inhaled slowly chewed two crazy sushi rolls.  One was salmon avocado based with wasabi mayo and the other was eel, tuna, salmon, mayo based with some mango. I honestly did not like the mango in the roll, made it too sweet. But it did not stop me from enjoying every bite…every calorie was worth it. I finished my plates clean!

Lori and I both love sushi! Sushi is one of those foods that some consider bad. We think it all depends, but for the most part we find it can be good for you. For us, we find it a perfect balance of fat, carbs, protein, and a little fun! and we both have always been fine with digesting it!

So being able to digest sushi with no problems and how it makes us happy is what we feel food and life is about. Feeling good both inside and out!

We enjoy food. So every once in awhile sushi is a must go all out kind of meal for us 😉  We are all about enjoying life…finding balance everyday. You have to find again what works for you and makes your life happy! #BEPURELYYOU

Twins question: Do you like thick smoothies? Do you like sushi? What are your thoughts on sushi? Do you like getting things in the mail?

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday! Remember to keep believing in yourself and having faith that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing!

Ashley June 5, 2013 - 10:47 am

As I am trying to fix my metabolism like you ladies I am having a hard time working out before I eat breakfast. I have always been in the routine of eating then working out. How have you guys adjusted to working out first thing before you eat? At least that is what I think you ladies do in the morning? Thank you!!!!

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 11:08 am

Ashley we have been working out first thing in the morning before eating anything for several months. We have always liked to workout on empty stomachs. I would say maybe eat something little before working out. Do what your body likes- so if you need something in your stomach that is fine 🙂 Take it slow. And always listen to your body!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete June 5, 2013 - 6:10 pm

I had this problem up until probably about a year ago. I just started off slow, where I would just run 2 miles without eating anything at first, then progress. My running team nutritionist told us that technically, you don’t need to eat anything before your workout if it is 60-90 minutes long (but this also depends on intensity). I think part of my problem was that I always thought that I needed something in the morning before my workout so therefore, I felt my body needed it. Also, once I started decreasing my carb intake, and increasing my fat intake, it seemed to facilitate the change to exercising on an empty stomach.

I also agree with the twins though too. We need to listen to our bodies more. 😉

Victoria June 5, 2013 - 11:23 am

I LOVE SUSHI. It’s always a real treat when I head out to Vancouver and I can eat LOTS of sushi for real cheap, and the fish is always fresh because it’s caught right there on the coast!
It’s the perfect thing for a ‘treat’ yet still fairly healthy if you avoid things like tempura. I just find there is something so satisfying about the raw fish!

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 12:03 pm

same here girl -we love our sushi and raw fish 🙂

char eats greens June 5, 2013 - 11:28 am

That thick smoothie looks SO delicious!! I think I need to try that one out!

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 12:03 pm

thanks!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 5, 2013 - 11:55 am

I’m still new to sushi but I do really like it. I don’t often opt for more than a California roll or veggie roll but sadly, I do have trouble digesting it so I make sure to only eat it from time to time. For whatever reason, if I get it from Trader Joes (which I know isn’t AMAZING sushi), i digest it better than if i go and get more expensive sushi…weird, huh?

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 12:04 pm

very weird. but glad you are trying it out 🙂

Beth June 5, 2013 - 12:12 pm

I love sushi! So good. Do you cook your spiralized zucchini and your yellow squash?

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 12:45 pm

Sometimes we eat it raw and sometimes we lightly cook it up on the skillet. Differs every time 🙂 we like it both ways

Stephanie June 5, 2013 - 2:21 pm

I do like sushi occasionally, but the real problem with sushi is the potential for parasites in the raw fish and high levels of mercury and other toxins in bigger fish, especially tuna.

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 2:34 pm

we try not to think about things like that and just enjoy life. it’s hard but we try to just live in the moment and not stress of issues with fish 🙂

Carrie June 5, 2013 - 2:29 pm

Ah, its been so long! It’s me from Moves n munchies!

Those plantain chips sound amazing… especially with the coconut oil!

THICK ALL THE WAY. ALL THE WAY!

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 2:34 pm

hey girl!!! yes we are in love with them 🙂

Laury June 5, 2013 - 2:31 pm

Nirvana coconut water is probably my favorite as far as taste goes…but I like Harmless Harvest since it’s really the only pure and sustainable one!

Did I tell you girls about a client at my yoga studio? We did a plank-off and it was 10 bucks a person, longest plank took the pot. It came down to a guy and a girl and the chick too it at FORTY FIVE MINUTES AND 53 SECONDS!!!! How freaking bad-ass is that!?!?!? 46 freaking minutes in a plank. Say, whaaatt?

I would have LOVED to see you girls get in on that I bet you’d rock it.

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 2:35 pm

oh shit!! 46 minutes that is awesome!!! maybe one day we will get there 😉

Annette@FitnessPerks June 5, 2013 - 3:02 pm

I like sushi!! I can’t have some of it now b/c of baby girl, but I really love the brown rice/veggie rolls!

Chris June 5, 2013 - 3:10 pm

I love getting things in the mail 🙂

I love thick smoothies 🙂

I am not too crazy about sushi. I prefer to use the nori to make a “wushi” wrap with other fillings, including cooked fish. I do not prefer the sweetness that often accompanies sushi.

I would seriously LOVE a grain free, bean free, egg free pancake recipe though :)Still working on it.

Happy Wednesday!

Kat June 5, 2013 - 3:44 pm

Sushi as a concept is great. If we lived in a perfect world where the oceans weren’t polluted all to hell by corporations, raw fish is the way to go and sushi is a miracle roll. But that’s not the reality of the world we live in so I’ve cut back on fish a whole bunch. Like Stephanie said mercury, toxins in big fish (tuna), parasites etc. Farmed fish from China(and well anyplace that’s not organic aquaponics) is the worst, so I at least need to know where its coming from before I eat it.

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) June 5, 2013 - 3:46 pm

love sushi and smoothies! i think as long as you aren’t getting a roll with fried stuff or smothered in sauces then it’s def a healthy food option!

Beth June 5, 2013 - 6:40 pm

Do you eat the yolks for breakfast? Or just the whites?

purelytwins June 5, 2013 - 6:53 pm

we eat both yolks and whites, the whole egg 🙂

Beth June 5, 2013 - 7:27 pm

Thanks…also, do you sauté your greens in any type of fat? And when you top your pancakes with egg, is the egg raw?

purelytwins June 6, 2013 - 10:27 am

we cook eggs in ghee or coconut oil. Just raw yolk on top.

Beth June 6, 2013 - 10:43 am

I was asking if you cook your greens in any type of fat. I have no idea how to cook! I tend to restrict.

purelytwins June 6, 2013 - 12:35 pm

Beth yes we cook them in ghee or coconut oil. The only fats we cook with. But you can steam them if you prefer, we just like having the fat to help absorb all the nutrients from the greens.

Carolyn June 5, 2013 - 8:52 pm

I am sensing a chicken egg allergy….do you find a difference in chicken vs duck eggs?

purelytwins June 6, 2013 - 10:28 am

We love both! Duck eggs are bigger and very satisfying.

Debbie (Accidently Delish) June 5, 2013 - 11:46 pm

i dont think ANY food should ever be labeled good or bad and you should never feel guilty for eating any food. and yes i even mean pizza, or day i even say mcdonalds now and then if it is something you WANT. who cares that sushi uses white rice, or there was mayo in the roll, all food in moderation in my opinion is fine. i feel like so many foods are labeled “good” and “bad” but really food is just food and if your body can tolerate it, then i say enjoy!! (plus i am OBSESSED with sushi, so it’s always good in my book!!)

all your foods look yummy! hope you enjoyed!!

Joy June 6, 2013 - 2:30 am

Sushi is a no because I don’t eat fish and the veggie ones are all wrapped in nori which I tried and its not a Joy thing!
Thick smoothies however are a Joy thing – yum! I had a lazy one yesterday (lazy because I was too lazy to wait for it to finish blending apparently so there were chunks of frozen banana)

Meg June 6, 2013 - 7:52 am

Is that blu sushi you were at? Personal fav of mine and a regular hot spot with my folks 🙂 I agree with you, I think sushi in moderation is a great food. I’m allergic to fish but in most high class sort of sushi places I am able to find rare beef sushi that is out of this world, I also love tamago (although I’m on an autoimmune protocol right now that has eliminated eggs….insert tears). My only problem with sushi is that in some places I walk away with amazing heart palpitations. I was trying to figure out if it was because of the sugar they put in the rice (some places put in more than others), or if it was from the sauces high in sodium. I usually avoid soy and bring my own coconut aminos with me these days and have noticed a bit of a difference. Does this ever happen to you?

purelytwins June 6, 2013 - 10:30 am

MEg is DaRuMa sushi.

Kierston @candyfit June 6, 2013 - 3:14 pm

I could eat sushi every single day! I LOVE IT. It’s a meal I crave 🙂 Nom Nom!

Although, I’d skip on the eel 😉