Told you guys that we were working on an egg-free version of our favorite plantain bread recipe. As we got to thinking about what to do… socca came to our mind.
It has been several months since we have enjoyed our dear socca. We stopped eating beans and legumes late last year and so far we have been doing very well without them in our diet. But we admit we sometimes miss our socca.
Socca was just a super easy recipe to make up that was only made from one main ingredient – garbanzo bean flour. Along with sea salt and oil.
We thought substituting the garbanzo bean flour with plantains to create a new version of socca flatbread that is legume-free. As well as egg-free.
If you are new to what socca is …. look here for more details.
Now we made it one time and it was good. A tad too oily. But delicious.
Next time we just reduced the amount of oil to cook the socca in and it worked! And we have been loving it for a post-workout carb source and snack!
Now we can have our quick grab-n-go healthy flatbread again in our life 🙂
And for those looking for a grain-free and egg-free easy flatbread recipe with a few ingredients this is the recipe for you!
We hope you guys enjoy our new socca creation with plantains.
One thing to note about this socca recipe – it seems to work the best with green plantains. Ones that are not really ripe yet and are more starchy!
Plantains are a great source of carbs and natural sugars that our bodies seem to be liking. Plantains have B-complex vitamins, vitamin A and C; as well as has some minerals like iron, magnesium and phosphorous. Plantains also contain potassium. So we adore that they contain some vitamins and minerals and are providing us with a great source of carbs (and sugar).Print
plantain socca recipe (egg-free, grain-free, paleo, gluten-free, nut-free)
- 1 large green plantain (about 7oz)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1/2–1 teaspoon sea salt (depends on salty you like things)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Get a 8 or 10 inch pan.
- Place 1 tablespoon coconut oil in pan.
- Peel your green plantain. Cut into slices and toss into your vitamix blender or any blender.
- Next add in your water.
- Next add in your sea salt.
- Continue to blend until smooth.
- Place your oiled pan into a hot oven for a few minutes to get warm.
- Remove pan from oven and pour in your plantain socca batter.
- Place pan back into oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool a little before removing from pan.
- Slice and enjoy!
Let us know if you make this plantain socca and if you do something creative with it!
We hope you guys have an excellent FRIDAY!
Twins question: Plantain socca anyone? What would you top your socca with?
til next time,