steps we are taking to fix our metabolism Purely Talk #2

Howdy Purely Fit friends!

How is everyone doing this Thursday? Good we hope 🙂

Today we have our second Purely Talk video.

Our thoughts and sharing the steps we are taking to fix our metabolism.

If you missed our previous metabolism talks – check them out here:

Temperature testing

Signs of a broken metabolism

Fixing metabolism to help balance hormones

ways to heal the metabolism-01

Please enjoy the video! We would love likes and comments as we continue to learn and grow together!

Some key takeaways from the video.

In the video we share a little more but here is some things we are doing.

Steps we are taking to fix metabolism:

1) supplements:  We are continuing with taking our gelatin, l-glutamine, vitamin D, nightly probiotic, b-vitamins, and fermented cod liver oil. Now you don’t have to take all these supplements we just have noticed great improvements in our bodies with taking them. These are the supplements we took to heal our gut, something we are still healing.

Do your research on what you feel will help you. Start with one thing, see how you do, then change or add things.

Remember it takes time to heal. Be patient and learn to love yourself along the way.

2) exercise: We are focusing on balancing out our home workouts with yoga. We find doing a mix of different workouts and keeping them short has helped us a lot. We know everyone is different and will respond differently to things, so just play around with doing different things for your workouts.

And if you have a highly stressed metabolism you might need to reduce the amount and length of your workouts. Be honest with yourself and how much stress you are putting on your body. Remember there is nothing wrong with slowing down to heal.

3) diet: Slowly increasing our calories and amount of carbs to help see if that helps fix our metabolism.  Trying to get more balanced meals with all the macros at each one. Playing around with different ratios to see what our bodies like best.  Incorporating a little sugar in our diet but not going overboard with it. Continuing eating plenty of saturated fats avoiding PUFA’s. Healing our gut we feel was really important in our journey to helping our metabolism. Now we are not perfect and still have some healing to do, but we feel we are on the right path 🙂

4) sleep: Trying to focus on getting more sleep. Aiming for 7-8 hours of good sleep. Magnesium helps us sleep better. Lately we have noticed with the increase in carbs we seem to sleep a little bit better too.

Sleep can be very powerful in your healing journey. We love to sleep! Anyone else?

5) stress: Taking a few minutes each day to unwind and relax. Reading motivational quotes and affirmations to keep our thoughts positive.  Stress can be a killer in so many aspects of life! We now see how stress can be damaging to our health and we focus on managing our stress daily.

Find ways to reduce stress in your life.

6) water: Drinking water when we are thirsty. Trying not to stress too much about how much water to drink. Listening to our bodies and not over think water. This is a hard thing for us to do we admit as years and years we have been told over again that drinking 8+ cups of water is what you are supposed to it. After reading more about water and that you may not need as much as you think has us rethinking our daily intake.

Drink when YOU are thirsty.

7) listen to your body: Each day we are really taking the time to stop and reflect on how we are doing. How our bodies are doing with the changes. Not worrying what others might think of our eats, or what others recommend doing. Because we only know how we feel.

Try to do your best in really listening to your body. Your body gives signs  -we all just have to learn to pay attention.

purelytalk 2 tips on fixing metabolism

Always be purely you along your health journey. Really honor your body and take the time to listen to it.

We are not doctors. Do you own research. These are just OUR thoughts on ways to help OUR metabolism from our research and personal experiences. We still have a lot to learn from fixing our metabolism, hormones, skin, and gut. We hope you guys stick around for our journey as we will continue to share what works and what has not worked for us in hopes it helps you!

As we mentioned in the video we are happy with where we are with our health, just fine tuning it. We are not trying to fit into a diet or trend. Just eat for us.

We highly recommend this book written by Elizabeth – The Nourished Metabolism. This book was an eye opener for us! Plus we got the book Eat for Heat (a book a few of you recommend for us to read) from Matt Stone with 180degreehealth — another site full of eye opening views on things.

We are still figuring out where we stand on some of these topics. And this article is another great read and this post about 10 simple ways to raise your metabolism! We are learning so many interesting things!! A little re-thinking too.

Twins question: How do you reduce stress in your life? Are you good about getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night? Is there  tip you would like to add that has helped your health or metabolism journey ? Do you stress about the amount of water you drink daily?

If you found this post to be helpful please share this to help inspire others to take care of their health!

NEW blog signature-01

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 30, 2013 - 4:28 pm

I love this: Don’t just eat something because someone else says too. Listen to your body and eat what your body needs.

No. Shit. 😉

lindsay May 30, 2013 - 10:22 pm

agreed! it takes courage to find out what’s right for YOU and it’s always changing! Thanks for being real, all of you!

Ali May 30, 2013 - 6:18 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I have been following your story and through reading some of the links you posted (Eat for heat) I realized I have been experiencing some of the same symptoms (cold hands and feet, low body temp, insomnia etc). This my be the answer to fixing my hormone issues!!

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 7:18 pm

yes!! 🙂 xoxo

Ashley May 30, 2013 - 7:05 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I am in the same boat with you guys after losing too much weight and getting my hormones out of whack I have had to do exactly what you ladies are doing. You are not alone. I am reading a book by nutritionist Esther Blum called Eat, Drink and Be Gorgeous. It is all about finding a balance and letting yourself have fun. That is why I think your acne has healed is because you ladies are less stressed about it. And it was the same for me and my periods. Anyway in the book there is a section for supplements and she list some supplements for PCOS. They are Chromium picolinate 500mcg 2x per day, Lipoic acid 300mg 2x per day, Omega-3s 3,000mg per day, Evening Primrose oil 1,000 mg per day, and Vitamin D 1,000 IU per day. Also says look out for sugar intake. I highly advise the book it is great! I love your blog. God Bless.

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 7:20 pm

thanks Ashley!! and yes we totally agree that our acne got better from us not stressing over it and having fun again with life 🙂 we will look into the book, thanks again

Jillienne@ChasingRaspberries May 30, 2013 - 7:08 pm

Great post today. Running helps me relieve my stress. I also find that if I don’t get 8 hours of sleep each night I get very irritable. My husband has learned to steer clear of me on early weekend mornings… maybe I’m just not a morning person!

Beth May 30, 2013 - 8:49 pm

Can I ask a few questions?
What probiotic do you take?
Where do you get fermented cod liver oil?
What are the main micro’s to eat at each meal?

My metabolism is shot…to much yo yo dieting. What a mistake!

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 9:10 pm

http://purelytwins.com/2013/01/19/good-brands-probiotics-digestive-enzymes/ – where we share our favorite brands.
We have Green Pasture fermented cod liver oil.
we will get into the macro soon for meals.

Chris May 31, 2013 - 7:29 am

Great Talk, Girls! I have a question:

After years of not eating enough/properly, how would one be able to heal so that one actually gets hungry? After ignoring hunger for so long it goes away. And then once you eat how do you let it not sit in you? Even good fats can do this. The obvious actions are HCL, enzymes, ginger,etc. Any other suggestions? DO you eat past comfort or not overwhelm body?

purelytwins May 31, 2013 - 9:16 am

great questions Chris. Yes all those supplements do help, if you do not think you are eating enough you may have to weigh out food for a few days to get a feel for how much you should be eating. And over time the body will adjust and metabolism will start working. again it takes time! We are not eating past comfort, we are adding in more things slowly as we do not want to overwhelm the body. though by adding more carbs and balanced meals we do get hungry for our next meal – most of the time. sometimes we are not as hungry but know we need the calories, etc so we eat still. hope that helps. HUGS

Meghanne May 31, 2013 - 8:05 am

Great post gals! Your skin really has come a long way and you are both glowing. So wonderful to see. I just wanted to share a gentle suggestion regarding the words we use to describe our body. Words are powerful things, especially when they are in reference to our body parts and how our body works. Your metabolism can’t be “broken”, remember metabolism describes all of the chemical processes in our bodies. If it was broken we would simply keel over. I think when we use descriptors like ‘broken’, it creates a negative space and can hinder our healing progress both emotionally and physically ( the two are so intrinsically linked). Perhaps a better word choice could be ‘metabolism optimizing’ or fine tuning or balancing? Just one girls opinion. I enjoy watching your progress! Keep up the great work.

purelytwins May 31, 2013 - 9:20 am

thanks Meghanne, we will do a better job with word choices, we just used metabolism broken to get the point across but we will try to use other words next time.

Kat June 1, 2013 - 10:44 am

I think broken is a good descriptive word because most people don’t know there’s anything wrong with their metabolism at all and using “broken” helps illustrate that. Yes the power of words is very influencing but there is something essentially wrong (broken) and I don’t think using a euphemism is as powerful a teaching tool.

alberto May 31, 2013 - 9:57 am

Hi , i think im the only guy here hahaha , but i want it to know how long took the see your met speeding up? , and about the whater intake in LT no in OZ
thanks ! xo

purelytwins May 31, 2013 - 12:36 pm

guys are welcome 🙂
our metabolism is still in the healing (getting better) stage, how long it takes to speed up all depends on the person, so hard to say when – some say a few months it takes to get it back to normal. Again it all depends on an individual basis. And for water the amount to consume again varies on persons weight. Some say to try to get half your body weight in water.

alberto May 31, 2013 - 1:05 pm

thanks ,my problem is the cols feet and hands ,and low temp , but im very active and i eat very helathy , i LOOVE the plantains i eat them since im like 15 Y/o long time , the prob its that now im doing an internship in france for 6 moths but i still do all my workout routine and eat healthy ( if i can eat healthy ina low budget everyone can no excuses , sorry you just have to search a little )
see yaa x

jenny May 31, 2013 - 3:08 pm

I do a lot of those things, and also put salt in my drinking water. Sounds like we’re working on the same things for increasing the metabolic rate! The key for me were 1) not drinking when not thirsty 2) cutting exercise out almost totally 3) eating carb-heavy especially in the morning. I used to be on the GAPS diet and still follow it very closely, but recently started adding in starchy non-GAPS foods and feel a shift.

I’m curious about the fermented cod liver oil though. Is it really as beneficial as I sometimes read it to be? What differences did you notice? I’m afraid of buying too many supplements because of their price.

ashley April 12, 2017 - 10:36 am

SO this is all crazy awesome. I feel like no matter what I do, I keep getting “softer”. I went through years of not feeding myself properly, to cutting out fats (which I have recently added back in and the results internally and externally are amazing). My usual body temperature is around 97F. Definitely going to just watch this for a while. Thanks ladies for all your artilces!