the difference with eggs

Howdy luvs!

We forgot to mention on our updated face post that manuka honey is also really good to put on acne. A blog reader, Melissa, mentioned that she likes it and we forgot to say that honey is another great thing to put on inflamed skin. Many of you said that you are going to try the OCM and please do. We know it can be scary thinking of putting oils on face but after a few days, and for some a week of doing it, your skin should be loving it. We did go through a little detox with our face when we started doing it months ago. But now that we think we have the correct oils for our face we are doing much better. Of course diet plays a huge part in skin too!

Please if you need any more help or tips let us know! We are here to help 😉

cuteline3-01

purelyfitness-logo

purelyfitlife number 12

Workout yesterday was our #purelyfitlife workout #12 our 300 rep sliding routine. Followed by 3 rounds of our sexy arms routine.

every day is a new day

Every day is a NEW day! A new chance to start again. A new day to do something for your body, soul, mind, and health!

cuteline3-01

purely eats logo-01

detox tea

Sipped on detox skin tea with lemon after doing our workout. Followed by taking our normal morning supplements.

green juice

Lori headed over to Michelle’s place to do some work (yep, Michelle has moved back up to NC). We had our typical very green juice (kale, mint, romaine, cucumber) along with the best part of our breakfast.

egg banana plantain

Local pasture raised eggs, cooked bananas, homemade sauerkraut, and plantains! Along with some ghee and cinnamon. Perfection. Can’t get enough of this breakfast. So good. Nothing beats local eggs!

We finally got around to making our own homemade sauerkraut again to see how our bodies and skin do. We were just getting Bubbies store bought sauerkraut but kept thinking it might be the cause in Lori’s acne (well one of the food causes). More than a week ago we stopped eating store bought kraut, and made our own. After a week sitting on counter our homemade batch was finally ready to eat. We are having it with our breakfast to start our day with a good source of probiotics. We are not sure yet if we will add it to other meals as we want to incorporate it back into our diet slowly to make sure our skin likes it.

lunch bowl

Lunch was a bowl of rice (cooked in bone broth), arugula, and grass-fed beef topped with coconut oil.

more lunch bowl

So good. Simple. But a good balance of macros for us.

socca avocado snack

Late afternoon we enjoyed the best snack!

socca snack

Plantain socca (recipe will be up on Friday) topped with the perfectly ripe avocado (we each enjoyed a whole avocado) and black lava sea salt! WOW! We just might have to eat this everyday 😉 Just as delicious as our best new grain-free bread!

Sometimes the simplest foods are the best!

dinner with friends

restaurant

wine

flouder

Last night we had dinner out with our girl friends. Nothing like a good glass of wine and girl talk.  We enjoyed local flounder with veggies. The dish came with onions which we no longer eat so we just ate around them. Overall the food and service at Napa restaurant was great. It was a fun girls night.

chia mush

We each enjoyed a chia seed gelatin mush (chia seeds mixed with water and gelatin).  Nothing too fancy, just a little different than our normal mush. We still feel our gut likes having gelatin daily, so for now we are still eating it regularly  Although we are way over due of making marshmallows!! Maybe this weekend we will finally get back into making them.

cuteline3-01

A note about eggs – we know not everyone can have eggs and some choose not to eat them. We personally have been enjoying them regularly in our diet for a few years now (after about 3 years of not having them). And not sure if many of you remember, but Lori got a food allergy test done back in March 2012 where she found out she was allergic to chicken eggs.  She avoided them for about 4-5 months.  Then decided to bring them back into diet.

We were getting store bought organic eggs, but now we are getting local PASTURED raised eggs again (we used to always get local eggs but there was a long period where we were not getting to the farmers market).

We notice a HUGE difference when eating pasture raised eggs. Not only in taste but in how we feel. It is hard to explain what we mean exactly but we just feel so much better when we eat them compared to grain-feed eggs.  We know there are a ton of articles written on this subject and we just wanted to share our two cents. That pasture raised is the way to go if you can 🙂

So if you can get local pastured raised eggs in your area we highly recommend it!  If you can not get pasture raised eggs we suggest organic being the next best thing.

We sometimes cannot believe we got lazy about going to the market to get pasture raised eggs, but now we are really making an effort when we can! (We do not live near a market so we have to drive a bit to get there.)  Buying local pastured raised eggs is not only great for your local community but very good for your health too! From our personal experience we have noticed a difference in our health, so we feel the quality of the egg and how it is raised is very important to consider. And for Lori she is doing amazing with having good quality eggs in her diet!

Twins Question: Do you eat pastured raised eggs? Do you shop regularly at a farmers market? Do you notice a difference in eggs -pastured vs non-pastured?

till next time, be back with purely talk episode #2!

L&M

purelytwins

Clair May 30, 2013 - 11:25 am

My sister has a chicken coop and always have tons of eggs on hand. The yolks are bright orange and they taste so creamy and good. There are farm eggs here I have access to but in the long run I’d love to have my own chickens as well someday! Glad you girls are enjoying your healthy fats and new skin regime!

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 1:07 pm

That is awesome Clair, wich we could have our own chickens.

Annette@FitnessPerks May 30, 2013 - 11:43 am

You guys are too cute! And I love all your photos 🙂

My mom/dad have chickens in their back yard–and the eggs are so yumm!

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 1:08 pm

Annette that is awesome!

Krista N May 30, 2013 - 2:20 pm

Hi! Just curious if you ladies have tried eating for your blood type? I have been doing lots of research and experimenting and it seems to just make sense! I guess time and consistency will tell. Thanks for always sharing your experiences. It is such a pleasure to read your blog 🙂

Christa @ Edible Balance May 30, 2013 - 2:24 pm

I had considered incorporating eggs back… both duck and chicken eggs (whites and yolk) showed up in my food sensitivity results last month even though I’ve been off them for more than a year. Very interesting to read the differences in local pastured eggs. Definitely looking into that!

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 2:40 pm

good glad to hear that you are considering eggs and duck back into your diet 🙂 ya I was highly sensitive to them last year, never did a follow-up food allergy test to see if I got over that or not, now I just listen to my body and it seems like it does like some form of good high quality eggs 🙂 I hope when you do try them back into your diet that they work for you too!

calee May 30, 2013 - 3:22 pm

RE: Eggs

I haven’t been diagnosed with an allergy, and, in fact, I’m pretty sure eggs are one of the only things I’m not allergic to, but I can attest to a major difference between conventionally-raised chicken eggs and pasture-raised eggs. We started getting local, pasture-raised eggs this year because I wanted to do more business locally, and we will never go back to conventional. I used to think egg yolk tasted spoiled, but these eggs have a delightful grassy depth to them. I still don’t like runny yolk (I know, I know), but I am really enjoying these eggs.

I have a feeling there is a reason behind why you can eat pasture-raised vs. conventional eggs. I have a similar issue with organic vs. non-organic produce. It doesn’t make sense because I have cross-reactive allergies with pollen, so ALL types of certain foods should make me react, but organic is usually okay. Which is good, because I prefer organic, and now I have a great excuse to splurge.

Glad I started reading you ladies instead of just cruising for good recipes and workouts. Your health journeys are helpful and fascinating.

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 3:45 pm

🙂 thanks Calee!!! yay for more pasture raised egg love!!

chris May 30, 2013 - 4:26 pm

What is the difference between homemade kraut and Bubbies? How does kraut affect skin?

I once tried making my own kraut, but it didn’t work. I would like to try again.

Beth May 30, 2013 - 8:15 pm

Michelle was not living in North Carolina? Where was she? I’m sure it’s nice to have sisters together again!

purelytwins May 30, 2013 - 9:08 pm

she was down in Florida for a few months. and yes so nice to be back together!

Kat May 30, 2013 - 11:17 pm

Yes, pasture raised eggs are definitely superior. Grain fed chickens are fed crap GMO corn and soy which I avoid like the plague. Say no to GMO!

So funny you made homemade sauerkraut. I’ve been thinking about making it all week (been researching non dairy probiotics) but its kinda intimidating. One day I’m gonna just go for it though.

Alma July 7, 2013 - 3:39 am

Hi girls,
I just had a question are these just regular bananas or plantains and I did see a post that you eat bananas with egg and pop the yolk on top. So I was just wondering if they are regular organic bananas or plantains and how do you prepare it do you just grill the bananas and make the egg and just though it on top of the sliced grilled bananas slices. It looks delicious and wanted to try it out. Thanks I look forward to hearing back from you. God Bless

purelytwins July 7, 2013 - 9:37 am

we eat regular organic bananas with egg yolk on top (what is shown in the post) we do eat plantains too 🙂
we just saute up the banana with the eggs on a skillet and usually put one raw yolk on top.