purely talk video 1: broken metabolism

Hello luvs!

Welcome to our first Purely Talk video!

Some of you mentioned calling it Purely Talk.

And we liked it.

So that is what the Q&A series will be referred to as – Purely Talk. We have created a category for it as well making it easy to find these posts and videos!

twins talk one

Video Recap –

How do you know your metabolism is broken?

signs of damaged metabolism-01

For more of an extensive list click here.

Can your broken metabolism be fixed?

It takes time. You have to start small.

Other links about taking body temperature and pulse:

body temperature and pulse

your basal body temperature

basal temperature test

and the Cheeseslave did a great post about raising her body temperature

Now we are still really just getting started in digging into all this metabolism information. Sometimes it is a lot take in and understand, even for us. We are just taking this slow and really trying our best to continue to listen to our bodies no matter what we might read.

As you know your body tells you what it needs, but looking at body temperature and pulse is interesting to us. So we plan to play around with it to see what we might discover. You can join along with us!

metabolism work sheet

We will do a follow up discussing more about metabolism, as we mentioned it’s complicated. haha well most health things are right?

We are not sure where this metabolism stuff is headed (we are not stressing over it too much) but we are having fun just playing around with some ideas and experimenting on ourselves.

Anyways we have received more questions from you guys and we will continue to do videos answering them. So keep them coming 🙂

Twins questions: Do you think you have a broken metabolism? Have you ever kept track of your body temperature and pulse?

If you found this post helpful please share this to help inspire others to take care of their bodies!

NEW blog signature-01

Mandie Marie @ The Fruitful Turtle May 23, 2013 - 6:07 pm

Loved the first video and name! I have never kept track of my body temperature or pulse but will start now. Btw, both your faces look so clear 🙂

purelytwins May 23, 2013 - 8:28 pm

thanks Mandie we are slowly making progress in the skin department, fingers crossed 🙂

Kelly R May 23, 2013 - 9:04 pm

Yes, mine is broken to the max and I am in my second week of repair… My morning temp runs around 96.5 with heart rate 60-70 and my bed time temp is 95.5 with heart rate 50-60. It is not easy to make the changes to fix it but I’m trying my best and already I have been sleeping through the night instead of waking up between 2-4 and not being able to fall back asleep for hours. I’m really focusing on my hand, feet and nose warmth/coldness to adjust my intake of food and beverage throughout the day. Even though it seems daunting I am in relief that I have an answer for what has been happening and was increasingly getting worse. I am currently reading Matt Stone’s book Diet Recovery 2 which has helped a lot… I also read Eat for Heat… They both run parallel regarding the metabolism.

Enjoy the research… It’s super interesting!

Best to you both!

purelytwins May 23, 2013 - 10:34 pm

Kelly best of luck to you too!! Thank you for the book recommendations, I have heard of Eat for Heat, but not the other one. I will look into both.

Mandie May 23, 2013 - 11:22 pm

Hi Kelly. Thanks so much for commenting! I have been experiencing very similar symptoms but didn’t connect it to my metabolism and body temperature problems. I will have to look into these books and see how I can change my lifestyle to alleviate my symptoms. I hope to hear more about your progress. It’s really helpful that we can all share and go through this together!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast May 23, 2013 - 10:08 pm

This is awesome… I love hearing your journey and what you’re learning. I’ve done the temps when trying to get pregnant… it makes sense that it ties into hormones and metabolism as well. Great video!

purelytwins May 23, 2013 - 10:35 pm

Thank you Laura!

Kat May 23, 2013 - 11:33 pm

Great information!!! Knowledge is power!

Sylwia May 24, 2013 - 12:12 am

hi girls
is this coincidence or what??? last week I had my first acupuncture done. I was just desperate because could not control my acne and I’m 37. So I went and had it done. The lady said there is energy trapped in my body that is trying to ‘escape’ and this is causing acne. She also asked me to measure my temperature every morning before my feet touch the floor. She said to do it for a whole month. I have been doing it for a week now and the average so far is 96.3F. I have another appointment tomorrow, very curious what she will tell me. Thanks girls so much for your blog, I’m enjoying it a lot. This new Q&A idea is awesome addition 🙂
Sylwia

Amy May 24, 2013 - 2:31 am

Hi Lori & Michelle,
I really liked your video and what you said make sense when I think about my own life. It is really true how much stress can affect everything about how you feel and your metabolism. I’ve also struggled with eating issues in the past and it has really been an experimental process to figure out what kind of foods my body needs and what makes me feel good. I never thought about the connection between body heat and metabolism but a light when off in my head when you mentioned having cold hands and feet because I have that a lot, and never really thought about why that would be! I look forward to watching your next video.

purelytwins May 24, 2013 - 9:42 am

thanks Amy!! learning more about the metabolism has been such an eye opening experience for us.

Claire May 24, 2013 - 10:05 am

I am very intriqued by this Broken Metabolism. I have so many of those symptoms. I will definitely be researching this more along with following along on your journey. Thank you for opening my eyes to this. Maybe there is actually something to help me feel better. 🙂

Also, it was wonderful meeting you both last weekend at Blend.

zosia May 24, 2013 - 2:29 pm

under symptoms of damaged metabolism, you have written, ‘looking for 75-80 beats per minutes”, but that is a GOOD pulse. What would be symptomatic?!?!?!?!?!? I’d say it’s anything under 60 (as told to me by my naturopath)…

purelytwins May 24, 2013 - 6:17 pm

ya we think anything under 60 would be bad in a way though we are really focusing on our body temperature more than the pulse. they pulse is just nice to know if it goes up – knowing that what we are eating and doing is helping or not.

Carol May 24, 2013 - 7:48 pm

Great first video! Can’t wait for the next one:)
Interesting topic…not sure if I have a “damaged” metabolism. I am very guilty of calorie restriction, my pulse is always low as is my blood pressure, and I am often cold. My temperature is always around 98.6. I am more interested in the videos you will do on hormones. I have done some research on my own, but would love more info on this topic.

Shel May 25, 2013 - 12:26 am

Are u taking ur temps orally or under ur arm pits? How often do u do it a day?

purelytwins May 25, 2013 - 11:20 am

right now we are doing it under the armpits and trying to do it 3 times a day.

jenny May 25, 2013 - 3:27 pm

I started taking my temperature in February and have been focusing on fixing the metabolism as well. It has worked very well. I am about 0.5 degrees Celsius above what I used to be in February, from around 96.8 (LOW) to 97.3 (still low, but that is the first-thing-in-the-morning temperature). I take my temperature orally too.

Charissa May 25, 2013 - 4:42 pm

This is such a GOOD article! Thanks gals…

purelytwins May 25, 2013 - 4:57 pm

thank you!

Rachel @ painfreekitchen May 26, 2013 - 3:52 pm

Interesting. So glad you did this blog post. I have pretty much every single symptom of a slow metabolism. I unfortunately probably did it to myself from years of under eating (about 800 calories per day). However, my coach suggested I use my heart rate monitor to double check (he also assumed that I had a really low burn). Nope. I apparently burn close to 2500 calories per day. At this point I’m not sure what to believe anymore.

Hannah@Mindrunningwild May 27, 2013 - 3:59 pm

Thanks so much for answering my questions!! As you mentioned, I struggled with an eating disorder and am really starting to take on my own health now. I see a naturopath who has put me on a gut healing regime and started me with EFT and trying new things to see how I can better heal myself. I, too, struggled with cold hands and feet and find that as I continue in acupuncture this happens less often.
In terms of things like gelatin, what is your experience with that? Does it have any benefits for metabolism? What are any other things you suggest to regulate these things and that might also be beneficial for the menstral cycle, from your experience?