fixing our metabolism and balancing hormones

Hello friends!  Happy Wednesday!

Only a few days left until we are flying out to Park City to hang out with amazing group of ladies!!

We have been getting some questions on why we are eating the certain things we are — mainly our carbs.

We hope to dive into that topic some today.

purelyfitness-logo

lori hiit

Yesterday we did our #purelyfitlife #5 our 15 minute HIIT interval workout to start our extremely LONG day.  We were very productive yesterday and feel so proud of ourselves. More on that below.

Training hard everyday to make changes.

michelle hiit workout

#lovethefitlife

Continue the great work friends! We are so proud of all of you and love seeing you guys doing our workouts with us!

cuteline3-01

purely eats logo-01

Our day yesterday.  We enjoyed some warm lemon water to get things started.

We tend to eat our breakfast at least an hour after working out. We have been playing around with post workout meal times to see if we notice any changes. So far nothing major yet.

green juice time

We sipped on our green juice as we cooked up our plantains and eggs. Our green juice was an orange, kale, romaine, cucumber and fresh ginger.

eggs with plantains

Enjoyed some plantains mixed with leftover cod and 2 whole eggs with some coconut oil. Added some cinnamon too.

plantain in egg yolk

Dipped in egg yolk. Soooo good.

We have been eating plantains now for a few days. And so far with feel as if our bodies are liking this form of starchy carb. We usually always feel great after eating them, no bloating issues. In terms of our skin, hard to tell.  But overall we like them, so we plan to keep eating them.

salmo for lunch

Lunch we have been trying to make one of our biggest meals. Since we feel our digestion is the strongest at this time of the day. Now it does not always happen to be our biggest meal, it is just something we try to do when we can. And also we have been having our starchy/carbs usually at our breakfast and lunch meals leaving root veggies and other veggies for dinner.

Though we have been hearing a lot about carb back loading so we are going to look into that. And decide if we want to give it a try to see if we notice anything in our fitness level. Anyone else heard of carb back loading?

Back to our lunch. We had some wilted avocado salad (each had half avocado) with some grilled salmon, zucchini, white rice and some ghee. Again having the white rice for carbs. The rice has been a nice change in our diet. It does help give us the full factor but without being overly full and feeling like blah. Again we have been feeling really well after eating the rice. We know a lot has to do with eating it with high quality fats and proteins. And taking our digestive pills help.

doing push ups

In the afternoon we did our #whatsbeautiful #iwill goals of doing 50 push-ups.

michelle headstands

Also practiced our headstands. We tried putting our feet in different positions.

lori headstands

We are not perfect at them yet but practice makes perfect 🙂

After playing with headstands we filmed a few client videos and took Jax on a walk to enjoy the beautiful day. Again we are so grateful for being able to do what we do.

buffalo burgers

Dinner was half avocado, some raw carrot, parsnips and turnips along with a buffalo burger (from US Wellness meats). And coconut oil. Even though this meal is a little complex in terms of having a few different types of veggies it fit into our macros and our stomachs handled the meal fine. We tend to keep our meals on the simple side for digestion reasons but every once in awhile our meals might be a little more complex. And we are fine with that.

We get so excited to eat all our meals. We are really loving the balanced meals with playing around with our macros. Most days  our carbs and proteins are pretty similar with our fats always being higher. We will get more into specific numbers soon.

One reason why we wanted to add in starchy carbs back into our diet is because we felt like the restriction of not eating a lot of carbs for so long was hurting our health more.

We realized limiting our carb intake for so long (besides eating root veggies and such) it may be making our skin issues and overall health worse.  Hurting our metabolism.

Making it harder for our body to function at its best.  We wanted to start eating more balanced meals to help balance our hormones.

We haven’t done our body temperature or pulse yet to help with seeing if what we are eating is right for our bodies. That is the next step we hope to do. We really just wanted to start eating some starchy carbs again that did not have a lot of fructose in them so white potatoes, white rice, plantains. We go to the FartingPear to research foods fructose content.

We know this might be a lot to take in from us. We will start to go into further details if you would like with our eats more. We know food, macros, metabolism, digestion, exercise, etc. can be confusing. We hope to start tackle issues to shed some light on what we think.

Twins question: Anyone else interested in learning about eating for your metabolism? Thoughts?  Do you feel putting restrictions on ‘foods’ and ‘diet’ can be harmful? Are you intrigued by macros? Or do you not care?

till next time,

purelytwins

PS: we also updated our about page – what do you think? we are slowly updating all our pages but taking longer than we expected.

PSS: we also working on a new video series coming soon where we be answering questions from you guys and talking about health and fitness related topics. we are excited to launch this new video series.

Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake May 15, 2013 - 10:05 am

I would love to learn more about how to eat for my metabolism. I think thats a good idea, girls. It’d be really cool if you did a little video or something about it.
Love the new about page!

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 10:34 am

thank you Audrey! yes we will work on more videos talking about these items

Eating 4 Balance May 15, 2013 - 10:16 am

I eat pretty low carb, high protein and low fat because that’s all that my stomach can handle right now. I’m going to the doctor again this Friday, but most likely nothing will come of that 🙁 I’m very interested to hear what works for you all! I’ve tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, etc. and sometimes it actually made things worse. Overall I’ve gotten better, but I just love reading posts about works for other people! 🙂

amanda j May 15, 2013 - 11:01 am

I’ve also been reading A LOT about metabolism and making sure to get enough carbs to support hormones, adrenals, etc. (it’s all so fascinating, right?!) While I love the “idea” of going grain free (to help with gut healing and inflammation, which I also suffer from), there are too many “paleo” carbs that do not agree with me (i.e. sweet potatoes – big sigh on that one), so things like white rice have been a god send. I also love love love plantains but find that they’re too sweet for me all of the time. Thanks for linking up to the sites you’ve been reading for metabolism, fructose, etc – I’m going to check them out (I’m already in love with living the nourished life – awesome site!). Have a great week, ladies 🙂

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 5:59 pm

Amanda we notice our bodies do not like sweet potatoes much either! but thank goodness there are other foods to help fill in the holes. Have you tried eating the green plantains – as they are more starchy and less sweet.

Ali May 15, 2013 - 11:09 am

Have you guys heard of Matt Stone’s eat for Heat? He is all about thinking that low carb is too damaging for our metabolism. He is kind of extreme (thinking that to heal you need to introduce lots of junky foods to shock the metabolism), but the science is kind of interesting. He is pretty controversial, but pretty well respected.

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:00 pm

Ali we have not really read any of his stuff although have been hearing about him from other blogs.

Eimear Rose May 16, 2013 - 5:01 pm

Another carb muncher here- I got a lot better as soon as I ditched paleo/vegan eating and hit up the simple carbs; mostly loads of fruit (especially orange juice), rice and potatoes. It got my cycle started again and didn’t take long to get to a 28 day cycle. Acne isn’t really my skin problem, although I do get some jawline stuff with things are bad. More dermatitis and canker sores are my problem if I let things go. Being cold, tired and constipation, as I’m sure you know, are all signs of low metabolism. Sometimes even people who have trouble putting on weight have a low metabolism, because you are producing proper amounts of digestive enzymes to break down and absorb everything. So you don’t have to be overweight to have a low metabolism.

purelytwins May 16, 2013 - 5:35 pm

Eimear great points about metabolism. And glad you found what works for you!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 15, 2013 - 11:15 am

I actually find that when I don’t have enough carbs, everything is worse. Stomach issues mostly!

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:00 pm

Brittany glad you have found what works for you! Yes carbs help our bellies, well most of them time.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 15, 2013 - 11:47 am

I’ve been following the Paleo Diet recently and I feel and look better than ever. I’m still tweaking everything to find my perfect ratios, but I’m a believer 🙂

I need to do some push ups on a regular basis. Mine are pretty sad and I want to improve!

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:01 pm

Amber yes pushups are challenging for us too!

Michaela May 15, 2013 - 12:20 pm

Have YOU read perfect health diet? I limited my carbs about
3 years ago(only for 4 months) and have found that my body does not like it at all. Now I eat fruit also sweet potato, squashes, sometimes white rice, sprouted quinoa and less protein (as you will read in book, when body is too low on carb it convert carb from protein). I stopped to scare of carb so like today we have beautiluf rasberries so I eat pound of them plus banana, and butternut. My thyroid is also working excellent in this no restriction diet.

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:02 pm

Misa awesome girl! Glad you listen to your body! xoxo

zosia May 15, 2013 - 12:24 pm

it is like we are going through the same thing…it’s weird!

i cannot wait to hear about this continuing journey of yours – especially in terms of fixing your metabolism!

awesome!!!!!

Christa @ Edible Balance May 15, 2013 - 12:26 pm

First of all, PARK CITY!! YAY!

So far my stomach has been doing very well with rice, all varieties, which is a good thing because I’d be a wreck right now! Glad to see you are adding a little more carbs in. I agree, they absolutely should not be ignored, I’m feeling much more balanced. You should try rice congee! Takes a long time to cook, but it’s so comforting and healing for the gut. I just googled it and found a recipe that worked for me. I tried it for the first time on Saturday and I’m having it again today!

I’d love to see more about eating for metabolism. I’m pretty sure I’m completely off balance.

btw – you girls are killin’ it with those headstands! So awesome.

Maryz May 15, 2013 - 12:31 pm

I would be really interested to read more about how to eat better for my metabolism. I currently eat mostly vegetarian because my body does not see to like animal protein. I do eat a little seafood, but not regularly. My body generally craves veggies and grains, so that is what I eat. I don’t restrict anything, just eat what my body wants.

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:04 pm

Maryz keep listening to your body!

Kat May 15, 2013 - 4:12 pm

I’m a big believer in cycling what you eat. I’ll be lax with my eating for awhile, maybe some gluten and other terribly yum things, but then I’ll detox and eat mostly raw. I think toxins in the environment and food we eat is unavoidable so I don’t stress about it like I used to, a good detox plan for just a few days helps wonders. I love to carboload when I’m exercising a bunch, long hikes or runs etc but for the most part I found my body does best with grass fed beef and veggies. To be completely honest, I used to be a huge seafood junkie but the state of our oceans just isn’t the same nowadays with the BP Gulf oil spill and the Japanese Fukushima disaster (not to mention fertilizer runoff, disgusting fish farming practices). Its pretty heartbreaking I’ve had to modify my protein source a bit because I used to eat seafood, like everyday

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:06 pm

Kat yes! great points. we have thought about reducing seafood intake for those reasons, just hard as we love it. we grew up on fish.

Erin May 15, 2013 - 5:25 pm

Hi Lori and Michelle,

I have been following you for some time now and love how you share your experience and journey with everyone. That takes a lot of courage! You are so inspiring to so many. 🙂

So I wanted to share some of my story in hopes it may help you in your journey. You mentioned hormones and I don’t think I realized how much they impact our bodies. I really did not realize how out of balance mine were either. I recently tried Young Living Clary Sage (Sponsor ID# 1331207, http://www.youngliving.com/essential-oils/Clary-Sage).

Wow! What a difference. My skin is clearing up, I have more energy, my depression is gone, my digestion is better, and I did not have any PMS or bad cramps this month. I so wish I would have discovered this sooner. My moods are much more stable. I just rub it on my feet every night before I go to bed and it helps balance my hormones. The research on it is absolutely fascinating.

I just wanted to share in case it might be of help since you have been discussing hormones on your blog for sometime. Thank you because it got me to look into it myself which led me to the Clary Sage. 🙂

Thank you ladies for all you do!!!

Hugs,

Erin

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 6:07 pm

Erin awesome to hear you are doing better! that gives us home. Thank you for the link about Clary Sage we will be checking it out for sure!

Carol May 15, 2013 - 6:18 pm

Would love more info on eating for hormone balance. I know I threw things out of whack a few years ago just by cutting fats and carbs way too much. I think I am finally finding a balance. Sometimes that means cookies for dinner, but most of the times protein and veggies are my staples. Any insight you can offer would be great!

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 9:09 pm

You got it Carol 🙂

Caitlin May 15, 2013 - 9:32 pm

i love reading about your health and wellness journey and the different topics you bring up are fascinating to me! i cannot wait to learn more! i am very interested in your videos explaining these different things and how they work for you. love your videos 😉

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 10:14 pm

Julie M May 15, 2013 - 9:33 pm

I’m never a fan of eliminating any macro from my diet whether it is carbs, proteins, fats. I’m trying to find the balance. My UA What’s Beautiful goal is to train for a triathlon. I know to do that I must find the correct way to fuel my body. Would love to hear your research on the topic.

Liz May 15, 2013 - 9:38 pm

I’m curious as to why you’re doing WHITE rice and not brown or another grain (psuedograin) like quinoa? Is the fiber in those something you’re looking to stay away from? Are you just looking for the “junkier” carbs so that your body will be able to handle it more easily and break it down more quickly?

purelytwins May 15, 2013 - 10:15 pm

having white rice for easier digestion as brown rice and quinoa if not soaked and sprouted are really hard to digest. since I don’t take the time to really soak and sprout I stick with white rice. it is easy to digest and gives my body the carbs it needs.

Sara May 15, 2013 - 11:21 pm

I would love to hear more on your food, macros, etc. I definitely feel that when I restrict carbs too much (intentionally or unintentionally), I end up binge eating at some point, so I am trying to be more conscious of that. Also, I’m looking forward to your new video series! Shine on, sistas 😉

Ali May 16, 2013 - 2:44 am

It’s interesting you guys are talking about metabolism & hormones – not long after Layne Norton has been chatting about ‘metabolic damage’. I’d love to hear more from you.

“Metabolic damage describes a condition suffered by those who have persued both long and short term severe caloric restriction that has lead to a metabolic adaptation. This results an inability to lose weight through diet and exercise and a disproportionate amount of weight gain as food and calories are reintroduced.”

In the body building world (In the last 7 months I’ve competed in two fitness model competitions), EVERYONE is talking about metabolic damage in regard to eating less calories, exercising more, reducing carbs and fats to alarming rates and competitors still NOT loosing body fat.

I’d love to hear your perspective of it

Hannah@Mindrunningwild May 16, 2013 - 8:45 pm

So what can we do if we fear we’ve done this damage to our bodies? Is it repairable?

purelytwins May 16, 2013 - 9:28 pm

yes it is repairable. the body is an amazing machine and can heal itself! we hope to start sharing how we plan to heal our metabolism!

Ali May 19, 2013 - 6:24 am

Hi Hannah. Google Layne – and watch some of his you tube video’s. ‘Reverse dieting’ – adding calories in slowly, along with carbs and fats is how you can fix it. Along with slowly decreasing cardio.

Meg May 16, 2013 - 6:44 am

Good for you guys for not fearing or limiting carbs and listening to your bodies! I’ve read quite a bit about not limiting carbs to optimize hormonal function, specifically if your cycles are absent or very long. It also seems that long term calorie deficit may be the root cause of many women’s absent cycles rather than macro balance. Food for thought and something I’m wrestling with.

I’m curious however, why do you think your metabolism is “broken”? I’ve often felt the same way….like it’s totally broken. Can you elaborate? Perhaps there are some words of wisdom your readers can help with. Recently I’ve been trying to change my perception on how I view my body. Our bodies are amazing things, they don’t break, just change in an effort to create an internal balance. The secret trick is to learn how to listen to what we actually need, rather than what we think we need and not over-think the whole situation! Does that make sense?
Much respect and love for all you do and all you share. I so enjoy reading your blog.

fartygirl May 16, 2013 - 8:20 am

I’ve had the same issues with cutting carbs… Not only do I feel more tired without carbs, I gain more weight. A cup of oats or rice is going to be less calories than two tablespoons of nut butter, and going to make the tum more full. If I don’t eat carbs at breakfast, I have no energy during the day. If I don’t eat carbs at dinner, I can’t sleep. So yeah, right there wit’ ya!

Hanna May 16, 2013 - 10:58 am

Do ya’ll feel like going more paleo has helped with digestion and hormone balance? I have been battling digestive problems for about a year now and now low progesterone and low white blood cell count but my physician hasn’t been much help so I have been doing alot of research to learn how to heal my gut. I have been following your blog for awhile and find it to be one of the most helpful sites to go to!! Thank you so much for posting all about your experience with digestive healing and all your inspirational posts!!! It has helped me alot! I am at a lose right now whether to go vegan cause I have heard paleo is hard for digestion and I have also heard that Paleo is really good on the gut. Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. Again thank you for all you do 🙂

purelytwins May 16, 2013 - 11:32 am

Hanna first thank you so much for the sweet words.
One thing about paleo being hard to digest is from all the meat- but you don’t have to eat a lot of meat plus we like the fattier meats which we find easier to digest. And taking HCL really helps with eating the meat. As we do feel the health quality grass-fed meats and bone broth have really helped with our gut and overall health. We will share more of our thoughts on this here soon on the blog! It is a tough topic with lots of different views but have to do what your body likes best. 🙂
HUGS

Hanna May 16, 2013 - 3:15 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! I will have to check out the hcl and just experiment with the meat among other things. One of the things ya’ll have taught me is to listen and see what works best for your body and patience. I’m excited to hear more about your digestive healing. I really think it was the Lord that lead me to your blog 🙂

purelytwins May 16, 2013 - 3:58 pm

Awesome Hanna!! Let us know what else we can help with and best of luck!

carrie May 16, 2013 - 4:57 pm

I would love more updates/info on metabolism, hormones etc. Have also been seeing a lot about intermittent fasting recently and am slightly baffled. Seems confusing to restrict eating to a few hours each day. And keep your metabolism functioning…and your brain!

purelytwins May 16, 2013 - 5:37 pm

Carrie will keep talking about it as we learn more. Crazy sometimes what people do. We know a lot of people who do IF and love it and have been seeing great results. We have looked into but never tried it.

Kelly R May 16, 2013 - 7:58 pm

So interesting that you asked this question because
I just read I didn’t Quit Sugar which opened my eyes
To my low metabolism issues which then referenced
Eat For Heat which nailed it down for me. I have every
Symptom of low metabolism you could have… Just
Starting to implement changes… Hard to change my way
of eating in fear of gaining weight or ruining my intense
Training schedule but I also realize that is an issue too!
I will not accomplish my goals set if I do not fix my meta-
bolic issues first!
As always I enjoy your blog! Love the sister power!

Mary Legare Whaley May 19, 2013 - 10:12 pm

I didn’t read the comments, so forgive me if I repeat something. But you both lead a healthy life. You eat well, you exercise, you vary your diet and your workouts. As far as boosting your metabolism, I would recommend high calorie/low calorie flip flopping. That’s the best way to trick your body into burning and conserving. You don’t have to restrict yourselves, per say. I’m sure you’ve heard of this. Have a 1300 calorie day, then follow up with a 2000 calorie day, and go back and forth etc. Even when you’re super healthy, our bodies get used to it and metabolism slows down to conserve. Annoying, but true. Good luck!