3 ingredient breakfast cake {gluten-free, grain-free}

We had a wonderful day yesterday! Nothing beats ending your weekend with cake. More on that in a minute.
How was your week?

purelyfitness-logo

Yesterday was an active rest day for us.

lori headstands practice

We worked on and completed our #whatsbeautiful #iwill challenges – headstands and 50 push-ups!  How are you doing with our personal goals and challenges?

doing my pushups

Check out our team here – Purely Fit Team. Together we will become purely fit in all areas of life!

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

Our eats from yesterday:

baked plantains

We decided to have PLANTAINS for breakfast.  We wanted to start our day off with a good dose of carbs.

We blended a whole plantain in our vita-mix blender with 4 eggs and 1 tbsp coconut oil.

Baked in 375 degree oven in a lightly greased glass baking dish.

And we patiently waited for it to bake…and hoping it would come out.

plantain cake

It worked!

Well it was more bread-like than cake, but for us it was our BREAKFAST CAKE 😉  We split the cake in half.

green juice with plantain cake

To complete our breakfast we enjoyed a green juice (kale, romaine, cucumber and an orange) with a sunny side egg on top of your plantain breakfast cake and more coconut oil.

plantain egg breakfast cake

We were in heaven eating this breakfast cake. It was perfection!

plantain pancake

We loved this balanced breakfast.

Every bite was cherished!

salmon cabbage plantain lunch #paleo

Later it was lunch time. We knew we wanted some carbs with our lunch and decided on more plantains. Yes we are a little obsessed with them right now.

And yep made more plantain chips to enjoy with our lunch.

grain free balanced lunch avocado salmon greens cabbage plantains and coconut oil

Another perfectly balanced meal for us.  Salmon, avocado, cooked cabbage and bok choy with plantain chips and coconut oil.

walk

After enjoying our lunch outside we took Jax on a walk.

jax new bed

Jax’s birthday present arrived. A little late, but think he likes it!

my dinner

Later we enjoyed a simple dinner of half avocado, salmon, shredded brussel sprouts and raw carrots, ACV and coconut oil.

lori salmon dinner

And a sprinkled of black sea salt! We are both really loving our raw carrots with some apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. It has a little sweet flavor to it. YUM.

Overall we are both doing good! We are learning more and more what our bodies like and do not like. We hope we have helped inspire some of you to play around with your diet. Find what works for you. Focusing on trying to eat more real whole foods.  Take one day at time. One meal at time and listen to your body. Remember our meals are balanced for us. #bepurelyyou Have a little fun with your eats as well. Mix things up. Try new things. And see how your body does.

Twins question: If you are doing the #whatsbeautiful campaign how are your challenges going? Would you like our plantain breakfast cake? Have you tried anything new lately? Any new food you are obsessing over?

Anyone doing something special for Mother’s Day tomorrow?

til next time,

purelytwins

Cammie May 11, 2013 - 2:00 pm

I bet you would like this recipe from The Paleo Mom–http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/recipe-plantain-pancakes-with-maple.html

Allie May 11, 2013 - 2:54 pm

I must compliment you ladies on your ability to beautifully combine simplicity & creativity in your eats – a fabulous result of listening to what feels good for your body!

purelytwins May 11, 2013 - 5:33 pm

Thank you Allie!!

Angie May 11, 2013 - 5:00 pm

So GLAD that you have been feeling better!
Im 19 from Canada and absolutly LOVE this blog, I had been trying to loose weight by cutting carbs and protein (basically veggies on veggies with a couple egg whites, and the teeniest poached chicken)
Lost the weight, felt awful (and i was not friendly to be around)… but i was terrified of adding more food to my diet
Found this blog, and was encouraged to add more healthy fats into my diet and I absolutely LOVE my new diet with added fats and protein, you defiantly hit the nail on the head, and completely inspired me to eat more healthy and exercise more (I don’t eat as many carbs as you do, but the fat and protein addition was life changing)
I read your blog every single morning with my cup of coffee, eggs tomato and AVOCADO (thanks to u)! I really want to express how much I enjoy this blog 🙂

This plantain cake looks awesome, since I don’t have grain or dairy its PERFECT!
have a great mothers day tomorrow! 🙂

purelytwins May 11, 2013 - 5:34 pm

Angie oh girl this just made our day!!! We are so happy to hear you have found the beauty in fats 😉 you know we love them! Your breakfast sounds perfect!

michelle May 11, 2013 - 6:52 pm

I love plantains! I too need to buy them more often. Also, thanks to you lovely ladies, I’ve been eating more healthy fats- esp avocado and coconut oil!, less gluten -and have added jojoba oil to my simple face care routine. I seem to have similar issues dealing with both the gut and the skin, so I’ve been taking a lot of your advice and ideas! Keep it coming!:) Unfortunately today I let myself have too much pb with my raw fruits and veggies for dinner…and I think I’m paying for it!:/ Its all a learning process for sure…
xo

purelytwins May 11, 2013 - 7:15 pm

glad to hear it Michelle 🙂 you keep up the great work too!!
and yes sometimes we overdo it too and yes it is a learning process 🙂
HUGS

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 11, 2013 - 7:52 pm

YUM! That looks incredible – I will definitely have to give that breakfast cake a try! 🙂

purelytwins May 12, 2013 - 12:26 pm

thanks katie!

Jojo May 11, 2013 - 8:11 pm

Your plantain cake looks really good. I love plantains, but don’t eat them very often. I’m assuming you used ripe plantains?

I sent my mom a mother’s day card, and will call her tomorrow to wish her a happy mother’s day 🙂

purelytwins May 12, 2013 - 12:28 pm

yes we use ripe plantains – the ones with a lot of brown on them. THough we do want to try green ones 🙂

Bee May 11, 2013 - 8:45 pm

The breakfast cake looks awesome.. What size dish did u bake it in?

Ive never tried a plantain before…what do they taste like?

And for your lunch, did u each have one plantain or split one?

Clair May 12, 2013 - 2:00 am

I have never tried plantain! They have them at the store here but I always just grab for bananas. If definitely try your cake but I might add some maple syrup… Which is what I add to just about everything. The What’s Beautiful thing confuses me a bit. I want to participate but I’m not sure how (ps I’m already on your team!)

purelytwins May 12, 2013 - 12:29 pm

I think you just create an personal account and set your own goal, and can join teams too for the whats beautiful.

Chris May 12, 2013 - 7:46 am

So glad to hear you are doing well.
I actually cannot have plantains because they are too high in sugar 🙁
Do they taste like bananas?

Is there a way to make the breakfast cake without eggs? You both sure know how to tempt someone who is allergic to eggs! Would yogurt work mixed with a starchy veg I can have, along with the coconut oil?

Where do you get black lava sea salt? What is it and how does it taste?

I am loving green smoothies lately. I am also loving beets!

purelytwins May 12, 2013 - 12:31 pm

they are similar to bananas in taste but not exactly. you could try using yogurt to replace the eggs and add in baking powder to help lift it.
black lava sea salt is hard to describe taste, but just adds that little touch to the dish to bring out all the flavors. we buy it from mountain rose herbs.

Chris May 12, 2013 - 7:48 am

What are the directions for signing up for the challenge with you? I did, but then there were not further directions. Thanks!

purelytwins May 12, 2013 - 12:31 pm

you just have to sign up and then you can posts pictures to our team showing that completing the challenges.

Brittany @ FreckledNettles May 12, 2013 - 10:21 pm

I cannot wait to try the plantain cake! It’s an excellent go-to breakfast for a girl like me who’s always on the go!

Heathy May 14, 2013 - 8:43 pm

Nice job on the headstands girls!!! When are we gonna get those yoga videos going?! 😉 Super cool plantain cake – wish I could get them here. Used to love plantain chips.

purelytwins May 14, 2013 - 8:52 pm

thanks girl, oh yes we need to get going on that- we will email you soon!! HUGS

Amanda May 22, 2013 - 3:19 pm

how long did you end up baking this for?

purelytwins May 22, 2013 - 6:03 pm

think it baked for about 25-30 minutes

Melissa June 26, 2013 - 8:51 am

LOVE this cake and have recently started experimenting with adding things like blueberries and strawberries…. Yum!!!!! Wondering if you have tried adding any greens to it????
I try to throw greens into as many meals as possible. I love your blog!!! Have to say one of my favorites is the avacado mixed with sour kraut … Oh my word, on Socca it’s to die for!!!!
Thank you!!!!!!!
Melissa

purelytwins June 26, 2013 - 9:52 am

yay!! we have not tried adding in greens yet, great idea!! HUGS
xo

a new grain-free bread recipe | purelytwins April 9, 2014 - 5:42 pm

[…] were so excited that our simple plantain breakfast cake recipe made for an amazing grain-free bread!  Gluten-free […]

Sara January 13, 2017 - 7:54 am

I am just starting out with Plantains for a different carb source. Curios as if you bake them before adding them to recipes.

purelytwins January 13, 2017 - 5:10 pm

No we use them raw and they cook when baked in recipe.Welcome to the plantain club!

Theresa Peters March 21, 2017 - 5:00 pm

I’m on a modified GAPS elimination diet… THANK YOU!!!! I needed something with carbs! One can only eat so many root vegetable and meat!

purelytwins March 22, 2017 - 1:34 am