making progress + fried coconut oil plantain chips

purelyfitness-logo

purelyfitlife interval

Yesterday we both did our #purelyfitlife workout #8 our 18 minute interval workout.

18 minute workout

Each day we wake up – focused and motivated to move the body. Now, not every workout we feel absolutely amazing, we’re not perfect. But we still aim to focus just on that workout and do our very best.

Believe in YOURSELF!

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

greej juice

First up we made our green juice to sip on with the rest of our breakfast. This green juice was romaine, kale, fresh ginger, cucumber and grapefruit.

eggs plantains

We have been wanting to try plantains for a few days now. We have had them before many years ago. Needless to say… we adore them!

2013-05-09 08.43.06-1

We enjoyed a plantain with 2 whole eggs along with ghee. We cooked our plantains in coconut oil on our cast iron skillet. It was perfection!!

plantains in peel

We got two types of plantains – a green and a more ripe one. We decided to try the more ripe one to enjoy with our eggs for breakfast.

fried plantain chips in coconut oil

Baked Plantain Chips in coconut oil

1 plantain (we used one that was yellow with some black/brown spots)

1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil

peeled plantain

Using a knife cut the plantain lengthwise and peel off the peel. Can be hard, so take your time.

Once peeled, chop into circles and then place in hot oiled pan. We put 1 tbsp coconut oil into a cast iron pan and fried up for about 15 minutes.

coconut oil plantain chips

Perfect crispy plantain chips in coconut oil!

We both loved loved this meal. Felt great afterwards which is always a big plus!

coffee with banana

We also enjoyed some starbucks coffee and split a banana to complete the rest of our breakfast.

grapefruit and oranges

We have the best dad 🙂 He sent us Florida oranges and grapefruit! We are excited to add these to our morning green juices for something different.

beef liver meatballs

Lunch was our last bit of homemade beef liver meatballs, half avocado, shredded raw carrot with ACV, and some sauteed spinach.  All topped with coconut oil.

jax vizsla

Took Jax to a local park to do some training and let him run around. He is doing sooo well with his training. I am a proud mom 🙂

salmon avocado sushi

Lori: My dinner I did it a little different compared to Michelle. I rolled up my mashed avocado and canned salmon in a nori wrap and served it along with rutabaga and turnips, topped with coconut oil.  YUM!

avocado nori salmon wrap

Michelle: What I did for my dinner was avocado mashed with canned salmon and slices of rutabaga and turnips all rolled into a nori wrap. And drizzled it with coconut oil.

This was very messy to eat, haha

carob gelatin mush

Both of us took our usual night time supplements but this time we added some carob powder and coconut oil to the gelatin mush. Weird -yes. Delicious- yes.

As you can see lately from our eats that we are doing more 3 large meals and loving it. Our stomachs are both doing well with eating larger meals. We are still doing well in terms of going poo every day! Oh yay! And Lori’s face is slowly starting to calm down, still has pimples all over, but the size of them are starting to get smaller.

So we are appreciating these small improvements. We know we still have a long journey ahead of us in terms of healing our skin issues. But each day we are doing our best to live our lives to the fullest with no regrets. And we are really liking trying new things in our diet, especially our sources of carbs. We will expand more on this later, as we are still experimenting.  Overall both of our moods are really positive and feeling great about life. Even with hard times, we always remember good things will come.

Twins question: Do you like plantains? What is your favorite carb source? Do you like to get a variety of carbs?

As you can see we are really liking our white rice, potatoes and now plantains (along with a little fruit) for our main source.  We are trying our best to get a well balanced foods in our diet that works for US.

A part of why we started our #purelyfit team. To learn to love yourself. To be purely fit inside and out! #Bepurelyyou

Again you may find different things work for you and that is ok!  Keep listening to your body!

til next time,

purelytwins

Coco May 10, 2013 - 11:30 am

I really like plantains a lot. I’ve also been eating them recently! I like them cooked the same way- but generally prefer when they are greener, more starchy instead of sweet.. Unless of course I’m making them for dessert with melted coconut butter 😉

Cammie May 10, 2013 - 11:41 am

Plantains are by far my favorite source of carbs–I was experimenting with plantain pancakes this morning! They are super yummy as a salad topper too;)

Erica May 10, 2013 - 3:04 pm

I love plantains…but the only time I’ve had them is when I’m at a restaurant/on vacation! I need to buy some. YUM!

purelytwins May 10, 2013 - 4:55 pm

yes you will love them, so easy to make too!

Kristine May 10, 2013 - 4:46 pm

addicted to sweet potatos; that’s my carb of choice especially topped with some avocado. ps- you girls are awesome! keep up the positivity, you are a blessing to more people than you realize (and God blesses those who bless others).

purelytwins May 10, 2013 - 4:55 pm

thank you Kristine!!!

Elisabeth May 10, 2013 - 6:13 pm

I love plantains, too! I usually thinly slice them, rub them with coconut oil, and bake them on a parchment paper-lined cooking tray in a hot oven. They are absolutely delicious!

purelytwins May 10, 2013 - 6:44 pm

yum!

Christa @ Edible Balance May 10, 2013 - 6:56 pm

yes, appreciating the small improvements… I love that! Good things will definitely come. I hope you don’t mind, but I used that quote you posted the other day in one I just posted. It’s such a good reminder and so encouraging!

I have yet to try plantains, unfortunately because I can’t have bananas right now, I assume plantains are a no as well… maybe soon! They look so good!

purelytwins May 10, 2013 - 9:44 pm

yes it is a great reminder and encouraging!! yay for small improvements.
hope things are going well for you dear! HUGS

Deanna@healthyleanfit May 11, 2013 - 5:25 am

I have been experimenting with my carbs a bit again too. I seem to intuitively be desiring them and feeling good with them (more of the time). I’ve been intended to post about my thoughts as well. Anxious to here your yours!

Deanna@healthyleanfit May 11, 2013 - 5:26 am

*hear yours (sorry)

She Rocks Fitness May 11, 2013 - 12:53 pm

I specifically bought plantains today at the supermarket, from all of your chatter and photos of them! Looking forward to trying them this way and having with eggs or protein pancakes. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

purelytwins May 11, 2013 - 1:26 pm

awesome 🙂 hope you like them as much as we do!
enjoy

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 12, 2013 - 10:27 am

I am really digging plantains lately! I either do them in a pan, or thrown them in the oven under the broiler. With cinnamon, of course. 🙂

purelytwins May 12, 2013 - 12:31 pm

yay for plantain love!

Annie December 1, 2013 - 11:53 am

Hi Girls, what kind of gelatin are you taking ? great lakes red can ?

purelytwins December 1, 2013 - 11:57 am

we use great lakes red and green can.

Annie December 1, 2013 - 12:43 pm

nice, I just received both form my latest iherb order.. but since I m new to gelatin, which one are you using for the carob gelatin mush ?

Annie December 1, 2013 - 9:18 pm

And what is your recipe..? how much of each ingredients ? and I can see that you have an other recipe where the final product is white.. I guess there is no carob in that one..is it only gelatin and coconut oil?

sorry for my specify questions.. but Im trying to get recipes for gelatin other that in a smoothie

thanks

purelytwins December 1, 2013 - 9:43 pm

Annie we did 1 tbsp gelatin and slow added water until we got the desired consistency. Yes sometimes we added in carob. And the coconut oil is normally around 1 tablespoon.

Pumpkin Plantain Bread ~ WIAW {Recipe} - Edible Balance June 15, 2014 - 2:25 pm

[…] with fried plantain chips, pictured […]

Getting creative in the kitchen again! - Edible Balance June 17, 2014 - 5:31 pm

[…] And I finally found plantains to try Lori and Michelle‘s plantain chips recipe with! […]

Heather September 21, 2014 - 9:20 pm

if i wanted to make a sweet version of this, how much and what type of sweetner would you recommend? thanks!!

purelytwins September 22, 2014 - 7:16 am

you want to make the plantain chips sweet?? is that correct? well, you could toss the chips in maple syrup or coconut sugar for a little bit of sweetness when they come off the skillet or out of the oven.

Baking plantains whole and stuffing them with fillings January 13, 2015 - 2:32 pm

[…] plantain chips and plantain bread (plus plantain socca and pancakes) are still very popular in this […]

BBQ Plantain Chips March 22, 2017 - 11:07 pm

[…] thought of this idea a few weeks ago. We were about to make up some of our original plantain chips and decided we needed to jazz them up some. BBQ came to […]