why is food and health such a hot topic?

purelyfitness-logo

doing yoga

Lori: Yesterday morning was yoga time for me. I did a few different Tara Stiles youtube yoga videos.

I did her open hips routine, total body holiday yoga routine, and her hardcore core yoga routine.

michelle doing plank

Michelle: I did some planking yesterday morning for my quick workout. Love working the core and full body even when I am not at home and traveling. Planks make it easy to get a little movement in.

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

Lori’s day:

berries eggs

I enjoyed some frozen raspberries (that I heated up a little on a skillet) along with 2 whole eggs and topped my meal with coconut oil.  It has been awhile since I have had raspberries and now I remember how much I adore them.

potatos cod veggies

Later I enjoyed some leftover cod (from the night before) with white potatoes, zucchini, little fennel, coconut oil and nutritional yeast.  I am playing around with trying different sources of carbs (starch) to see how my body does, here I tried white potatoes that I steamed.

sleeping vizsla

Did some computer work while my buddy kept me company.

Drank some matcha green tea mid-afternoon, also added a little coconut oil to it. I liked the addition of the oil. Gave the tea a little more depth. Also snacked on some un-pictured carrots with more coconut oil.

scallops avocado dinner

Dinner was some scallops, with a handful of mix greens, sauerkraut, turnips, parsnips, half avocado, coconut oil and topped with black lava sea salt.  Scallops are one seafood that I don’t get very often because they can be expensive but a favorite!

Overall I had a great day (emotionally too)! My skin is still doing about the same. Still have the same pimples I have had for a few days. Not getting discouraged just documenting for reference. One thing that I forgot to mention the other day was that I got my period two days ago. So I know some of these pimples are related to getting my period, still sucks. The last time I got my period was back in January when Michelle and I were doing our 30 day gut healing journey. Both of us have not gotten it since that time. Hormones still an issue but we are aware of it and making changes.

Michelle’s day:

I am currently working with Raw Threads in Orlando, FL for the Disney’s expedition Everest challenge for a few days.

m fun breakfast

I started my morning with one egg, raspberries and perfect fit protein powder. And coconut oil.

more breakfast

I stirred it all together. YUM! I know it might look and sound weird but it was aaaamazing.

raw threads booth

Today was set-up day for the event. So that means we spend a good bit of the day getting the booth built and then designing the booth with the clothing to look presentable.

everest-event

I am not doing the challenge… maybe next year.

banana

Snacked on a banana during set-up.

raw cookie snack

Also snacked on a raw chocolate chip cookies (recipe from our cookbook). Perfect little grab-n-go kind of snack.

rain

It pretty much rained all afternoon. Hopefully the weather clears up for the event!

I also had a good day. A little tired from traveling and being non-stop since arriving getting ready for this event and getting orders shipped out. But all is good 🙂

cuteline3-01

Over these past few days we have been reading more and more health articles. Trying our best to educate ourselves so we can hopefully make right decisions for our individual bodies.

Over these next few days or so we will start sharing more of what we mean and what we are learning. Our thoughts on food is evolving.  We are excited to keep experimenting with a few ideas in our heads – like eating more balanced meals. Trying different foods and different food combos. Still eating plenty of healthy fats. We are not really counting calories per se but we are trying to play around with our macros (which is another hot topic all itself that we will discuss in another posts).

Again we are trying not to get all crazy with numbers. We feel in order for us not only to help ourselves but to also help out others, we need to keep reading and experimenting. We know every person is different and will require different things. And handle different foods, which to us is almost the beauty in life — differences, change  etc. We are all unique individuals so should our eats in a way.

We are trying to steer away from food ‘groups’ or food stereotypes and just figure out what foods are right of us. If that turns out to be white potatoes which don’t have any real nutrition besides being a carb so be it. If that is only eating bananas so be it.

Try for yourself not to get all caught up in following under a certain food ‘type’ or ‘diet’ but instead focus on doing what is right for YOUR body.

Oh geez we are already running off into a little tangent here, sorry about that.  What it is about food and nutrition that can get everyone so stirred up  and talk endless about?

We admit that we catch ourselves getting all caught up in reading health, food, and fitness articles. Debating what to believe or not. Now, we are trying to find the right balance of research to continue to educate ourselves but also not to become overly obsessed with it either.

Why is food and health such a hot topic? Do you feel people are becoming too obsessed that they are missing the bigger picture?

*heavy for a Friday we know – we will be back later with cookies recipes.

till next time,

purelytwins

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 3, 2013 - 8:50 am

Oh man, that’s a hot topic! While I (clearly) love talking about health and fitness and experimenting to figure out what works best for MY body, it’s hard because so many people get caught up in what’s popular that they miss listening to their bodies and what may actually work better for them may not be what works for others. It’s all about MODERATION and LISTENING to our bodies.

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 10:37 am

yes – totally agree (and we have been fault of it too) getting caught up in what’s popular. And moderatin and listen sooo important something we are learning and focusing on everyday!

Kat May 3, 2013 - 10:07 am

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 10:38 am

yep – we are being aware if we have any of those issues, taking is slow 🙂

Bee May 11, 2013 - 8:11 pm

Sorry, that myth is not true. If thats the case, then all humans would be dead or very ill. There is NO actual scientific study to confirm this. The issue comes down to dysbiosis and nutrient imbalances which inhibit ur production of enzymes and hcl, as well as the ability to digest properly. (low zinc, low iron, bad gut flora are culprits…not food combining principles, which have been debunked numerous times)

Jojo May 3, 2013 - 10:20 am

I think food is such a hot topic for healthy living because food choices/habits is a huge determinant of overall health. With that said, there is sometimes too much focus on eating the “healthiest” foods, especially when people start to drastically limit what they can eat to the point of interfering with other aspects of their lives. Food should make you happy, and if that means having dessert every day, then so be it. As long as your diet as a whole is balanced.

What’s interesting to me is that in some areas of the world, healthy eating and living isn’t as conscious and deliberate as it is in the States. It is more of a lifestyle that they grew up with and is a normal, everyday routine. For example, the Mediterranean and Japan have the world’s most healthy and long-living people. They aren’t actively seeking out the most healthy foods and working out all the time. Healthy living is just part of their culture.

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 10:39 am

Jojo you said it best!!! Totally agree with you!! Maybe one day the States will get to that point of just living and having a balanced whole diet and life 🙂

Christa @ Edible Balance May 3, 2013 - 11:45 am

I wholeheartedly agree with Jojo… I also think we are so richly blessed to be able to choose what we eat and don’t eat, we need to take a step back, be mindful and honor that. It’s a tough balance for sure, to do what’s right for us, and value what we have. You girls are doing so great! And may I say YAY for getting your period?! I know how amazing that is, as weird as that may seem to congratulate you for that 😉

Sending hugs your way <3

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 11:58 am

love ya girl!!!

lindsay May 3, 2013 - 1:21 pm

i second that! yay for periods. haha. And i agree with jojo, i think sometimes we OVER THINK the purpose of food. Yes?

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 2:47 pm

yes 🙂 oh yay for periods LOL

Carly @ Snack Therapy May 3, 2013 - 12:43 pm

I think people get stirred up because it’s such a personal topic! It can be hard for someone to hear others talk about their amazing workouts and clean meals when his/her own healthy and fitness are struggling. I think a lot of people become too focused on being “healthy” that they become just the opposite!

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 1:19 pm

well said! it can be tough to balance it all out and still stay focused on yourself 🙂

Deanna @healthyleanfit May 3, 2013 - 2:07 pm

OMG it is such a hot topic, right??!! It’s crazy! However, it is such a big part of how we feel and socialize. keep searching! We will find what’s right for us!

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 2:48 pm

Morgan C May 3, 2013 - 2:59 pm

I am an osteopathic medical student and one of the osteopathic tenents is that the body is capable of self-healing and self-regulation. I believe it’s our job to give it the tools it needs. Another tenent states that when the body is overwhelmed, disease occurs. So we need to be sure that we maintain proper balance.

Like you said, everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another, all we can do is try to be as healthy as we can while still maintaining a love for life, and not to add a stress (like worrying too much about food/exercise) that may overwhelm the body and be counterproductive to health.

I feel like I get a little health/food obsessed sometimes… especially when I’m counting calories. I also think about food a lot just because I like food and I get excited about trying new things. I eat paleo and while that does “restrict” what I eat most of the time, I don’t stress too much about eating ice cream or something like that occasionally. But getting closer to a more natural form of eating (for the most part) makes sense to me because I feel as though modern diseases are tied to modern foods.

I have some of the same problems you guys have (acne, hormonal issues -including amenorrhea, probably from years of birth control). I think the biggest variable in our health is food. It’s the only thing that changes widely on a day to day basis, unless you eat exactly the same things every day, at the same time every day. There are other things, like sleep and stress for example, that affect our health, but I think food is the biggest aspect we can control.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed May 3, 2013 - 3:12 pm

I don’t know… with over half of our country classified as overweight or obese, it’s clearly something the public has not mastered. And it definitely attracts readers so people are not going to stop talking about it. I just wish all those popular articles all had accurate information. I feel like there are so many conflicting views (and obviously different methods work for different people), but I feel like the average joe trying to lose weight can get very lost in the sea of information out there, some of which is very misleading.

Also I am always interested in learning more about how to better take care of myself, but I do believe some people can become obsessed.

purelytwins May 3, 2013 - 3:56 pm

totally agree, there is a lot of conflicting views and info – even for us makes it difficult, though losing weight has not been an issue for us getting clear skin has been a huge issue, and so much conflicting info on what clear its. we are always learning to hopes it helps us better take care of ourselves 🙂

the delicate place (@misathemeb) May 3, 2013 - 4:46 pm

food is something we cannot live without and thus becomes an integral part of the day. to rest, nourish and re-energize. i stopped thinking about exactly ‘what’ i was eating and just went with cravings/foods that i enjoy tasting and visually eating. monday-fri i don’t really give it much thought because i am so busy but on the weekend, i love going out to eat to enjoy cocktails and creations by real chefs!

interesting about your cycles! since i stopped birth control and regained my cycle, i have been bobbing between 45-50 day cycles consistently but my last two have been ticking down! i am so happy to see number of days in between getting closer to normal! pre-birth control, i usually got them 30-35 days so i’m getting there! good luck to you both as you continue this journey!

Caroline Lunger May 4, 2013 - 1:43 am

I love that you document everything- it helps when your readers (*ahem me) struggle with similar issues. I just came across this article and i know you both research things too so i thought i would share. I found it helpful explaining hormones when one eats paleo-ish or very healthy.

I love these updates! thanks 🙂

purelytwins May 4, 2013 - 7:52 am

thanks girl for the link!!! HUGS

Cammie May 4, 2013 - 8:57 pm

I am the queen of reading health articles online. It’s a blessing and a curse. You just have to know when to stop and pick a plan and stick to it. My mom finally made me realize that, aren’t moms great like that? haha I’m starting the Autoimmune Paleo protocol for a month-very similar to your gut healing journey! I’m super excited to see how I feel….as always love the blog! keep it up:)

Julia March 22, 2018 - 10:49 am

hELLO,I don’t always follow my own advice (love a potato just like the next girl) but I’ve found that eating proteins and starches together (or even alot of root vegetables that can be starchy) gives me indigestion. I know you guys take Hcl supplements and the starches you eat absorb the acid in your stomach leaving little for proper protein digestion. I’m sure you’ve heard that before, I think I read that while researching paleo