beignets…bbq…peanut butter pie and more

Thank you all for the wonderful birthday wishes!! We had an extraordinary and very special birthday πŸ˜‰

Picking back up of our birthday trip to New Orleans

We had a great first day despite the rainy weather, and boy did the city come alive when the weather is nicer.

breakfast

Enjoyed a simple breakfast at the coffee shop in our hotel. We each enjoyed two cups of coffee, two bananas, and smoked salmon with tomato slice.

trolley

Took the street car up to Garden district.

houses

Walked around the neighborhoods admiring the beautiful homes.

magazinestreet

Walked down magazine street.

salu

Walked around till we worked up an appetite.

We enjoyed lunch at Salu Restaurant. A tapas style place. Very cute inside.

mussels

We were so hungry we forgot to take a picture of the mussels before we ate them. haha sorry

bloody marys

Enjoyed bloody marys.

tunasalad

Lori enjoyed a beautiful ahi tuna salad.

lamblimabeans

Michelle enjoyed lamb with lima beans.

pizzaslice

And we each enjoyed a slice of our moms pizza – fig goat cheese! YUM!

graveyard

Walked around some more, even walked through Lafayette Cemetery.

walkingaround

Took the street car back into town then did more walking around.

Walking around the city was the perfect way to see everything, plus get some exercise! As all we did was eat and drink, haha

cafedumonde

Enjoyed coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

Cafe Du Monde was PACKED!!! Crazy busy. And we could see why, it was very good!

This was our first time having beignets. The beignets were different.

coffeeandbeignetNot gluten-free, but worth every bite.

Thought you guys ate gluten-free? We do! 99% of the time. We have a very high intolerance to gluten, but there are times when we just want to try something. And this trip we allowed ourselves to enjoy things we normally do not eat.

frenchmarket

We walked around the French Market.

square

Like we mentioned before, people were everyone! Completely different feel than when we walked around the New Orleans yesterday.

musininstreets

Walked up and down the streets and came across many areas where people were gathering listening to music.

It was a lot of fun!Β  Everyone just out having a good time.

hotel

Walked all the way back to our hotel to relax a little before heading back out.

drinksbypool

Enjoyed a cocktail by the pool. The Roosevelt had a beautiful pool area.

emerils

Dinner was at Emeril’s Restaurant.

Ever since we briefly started planning this trip last fall, we knew we wanted to eat at Emerils. This place is always booked, so good thing we booked it so far in advance.Β  Something like 6 months it is booked for! So if you ever want to eat here make sure you plan ahead.

emerils

Our first Emerils restaurant experience was amazing, so we were all pretty excited to eat here.

bbq shrimp

Started off with Emeril’s New Orleans Barbeque shrimp and some cocktails while we decided what to order for dinner.

AMAZING!Β  Wish there was more of it to eat πŸ˜‰

drum fish

Michelle ordered the Andouille Crusted Drum.

bbq salmon

Lori ordered Barbecue Glazed Salmon.

We actually ended up splitting our two plates as we each wanted to try both dishes.

And both dishes were beyond good. The flavors were amazing. All the different textures just went paired beautiful with the sauces.

Seriously cannot say enough about these dishes.Β  Everyone else enjoyed their meals too! If you want to have exceptional food and stellar service make sure you eat at Emeril’s restaurant in New Orleans. You will not be disappointed!

emerils coffee

Ordered Emeril’s coffee. No idea what was in it, but Lori and I never tasted something so good before!

peanut butter pie

And for DESSERT… chocolate peanut butter pie!

pie

Ya this was mind blowing good!

We sure left Emeril’s full and satisfied!

But we did not end our night there.

sazerac

We heard about so many must-have drinks in New Orleans. We tried The Hurricane the first night and did not like it.

So Thursday night we tried New Orleans Famous Sazerac cocktail at the Sazerac Bar.

Again did not like it.

Guess we are not much of fancy drink lovers haha.Β  But all the amazing food sure has made up for the not-s0-good drinks.

Twins Question: Have you ever eaten at Emeril’s? Have you tried Sazerac before? Have you had Beignets?

Maggie April 27, 2013 - 1:53 pm

Hi Michelle and Lori! I vole your blog and I’ve tried some of your recipes, they are amazing! Seems like you had a fantastic trip! The foods look delicious! I’ve never liked coffee, but I tried Emeril’s coffee once and just loved it! Here is a recipe for it:

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:14 am

thanks Maggie!!

lindsay April 27, 2013 - 2:57 pm

You are making NOLA look so good. I’ve never been, so when I finally do make it there I’ll have to come back to these posts so I don’t miss all the good spots to visit πŸ™‚

Eating 4 Balance April 27, 2013 - 3:33 pm

Of course a happy birthday is in order! Glad you tried the beignets πŸ™‚ They aren’t my favorite dessert ever, but it is definitely a food that everyone needs to try at least one because it is such a huge piece of New Orleans foodie culture.

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:14 am

totally agree!

Kim April 27, 2013 - 3:35 pm

So glad that y’all got to try beignets at Cafe du Monde – so good!!!
I’ve never been to Emeril’s but if I go I’m definitely getting the peanut butter chocolate pie – that looks awesome!
I love Hurricanes but I like most fruity type drinks!!
Looks like y’all are having a great birthday trip – enjoy!!

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:13 am

oh it was πŸ™‚ we normally don’t eat much peanut butter but sure glad we tried the dessert as it was yummy

Kristine April 27, 2013 - 6:49 pm

Sounds awesome! I think I’m going to start planning a trip to Nola. If you ladies are ever in the Orlando area, Emeril’s Tchoup Tchoup is delicious!!!! Also, I am the same way when I travel to a new destination, sometimes there are things you just have to try (gluten or not; it’s about the culture and the experience)!

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:12 am

it is all about the culture experience πŸ™‚ we will have to try out his restaurant when we are in Orlando again, thanks!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 27, 2013 - 8:24 pm

Looks like you guys had a great trip! And I love that you allowed yourself to try a few things, even if they’re not what you normally eat. I’m all about eating things that won’t make me feel awful, but sometimes you’ve just got to try a taste of something you’ve never had before. πŸ™‚

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:12 am

exactly Katie πŸ˜‰

Deanna@healthyleanfit April 28, 2013 - 7:47 am

Looks like a really fun trip! So glad you enjoyed your time and your birthday!

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:11 am

thank you Deanna!!

Meg April 28, 2013 - 7:55 am

Happy Birthday ladies. Looks like you’re having just the trip you were hoping for. So glad the weather cleared up! When I travel I also try things that I don’t normally eat. For some reason, whenever I’m in Europe, small amounts of dairy and gluten bother me less than here? Maybe it’s the types of wheat strains they use, lack of preservatives and more raw unpasturized dairy…or maybe I’m just more relaxed when I eat them…whatever the case…enjoy!

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 10:11 am

thanks Meg!! we here ya on the difference in food in different countries πŸ™‚

Heathy April 28, 2013 - 12:22 pm

I love your trip pics. So glad you had a wonderful birthday and enjoyed all that amazing food without any guilt!!! So important. Wow that peanut butter pie omg omg omg! I would looove to eat at Emeril’s one day. xo

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 2:34 pm

you would have loved that dessert πŸ˜‰

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) April 28, 2013 - 12:28 pm

haha nate loves the sazerac! my fave cocktail is ‘the last word’ πŸ™‚ looks like such a fun trip!

purelytwins April 28, 2013 - 2:34 pm

haha too funny! we will have to try your drink out sometime πŸ˜‰

Karine April 29, 2013 - 9:59 am

I’ve been to New Orleans maybe 9 years ago for Mardi Gras. We stayed there for about 2 weeks. It was incredible! I see your pictures and rememeber the good time we had. Beignets are very yummy (thus high caloric ahahha!)

Enjoy your time there πŸ™‚

shosh April 30, 2013 - 9:50 pm

hi girls,
jus a quickie did u ever do the gaps diet, if so how long for? did it help? and did you cut out pseudo grains , sweet potato and beans??? thinking of doing it to heal my excema which has got really bad of late!!
love shosh

purelytwins April 30, 2013 - 10:02 pm

we are still trying to heal our ezcema it has been tough to heal. we did not follow the GAPS diet exactly we took some ideas from it to try. yes we cut out pseudo grains, beans and ate sweet potatoes rarely.