New Orleans day 1

purely-outings-logo

We arrived in New Orleans yesterday late morning. We are here for a few days to celebrate our 30th birthday (which is on Friday).

new-orleans

We arrived just when a major thunderstorm was passing over New Orleans. Luckily we made it to our hotel before the weather got really bad.

rain-neworleans

It was pretty nasty all afternoon.

more-rain-orleans

There was even a few tornado warnings.

But we still managed to make the most out of our day. We fashionably walked around with our hotel umbrellas with wet clothes and big hair 😉

redfish-grillmenu

We walked over to Red Fish Grill for lunch.

lunch-redgrill

oysters-lunch

coffee-lunch

our-lunch-plate

lunch-coffee-drink

We enjoyed lots of local dishes from bbq oysters to spiked coffee to grilled lemon fish (delicious!!!).

After lunch we continued to walk around New Orleans.

street

street-3

street-2

preservation-hall

Walked down Bourbon Street, the French Quarter area and headed over to Jackson square followed by walking along the river and around Canal street.

photo-46

Went and saw St. Louis Cathedral.

photo-47

Jax-beer

Had to get a picture of that – as it said Jax 🙂

After walking around New Orleans for awhile we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

carousel-bar

First we stopped by the Carousel bar to check out the moving floor.  It was packed so we just took some pictures and left.

napoleon house

We walked over to the Napoleon house to have some pre-dinner drinks.

michelle-drink

We got one of their signature drinks — the Pimm’s original. It was pretty good. It was light and refreshing.  We all really enjoyed the Napoleon house atmosphere! It was cute and rustic like.  A stylish bar that gave us the feeling of old New Orleans.

nola-restaurant

After our some drinks we headed over to the Nola restaurant for dinner.

nola-dinner

mussels

drinks-cheers

mahi-dinner

salmon-dinner

We enjoyed some mussels along with a salmon dinner (Michelle) and mahi mahi dinner (Lori). Everything at Nola’s was delicious! The service was great, loved their food presentations and the food was ridiculously good!

We did notice that to us the food might have had too much salt and black pepper. We realized we normally eat our food really plain when cooking at home, so we think our taste buds were not used to all that seasoning. But it was still really good food. We also had some of their corn bread, which was delicious.

night-street-neworleans

nightout

After dinner we headed over to listen to some local jazz at the Preservation Hall.

jazz-night

We were not allowed to take pictures once the performers came in but here is what the room looked like. It was really small with a historic feel. It was really fun to experience some local New Orleans music.  We walked back down Bourbon Street as we made our way back to the hotel to go to bed. It was a very long day for all of us as we started our journey at 4am.

We have been to New Orleans before when we were kids, so it is really nice to be able to come back a second time to see the sights and see all the history here again.  And being older we can experience more of what New Orleans is all about food and drinks, haha.  Our New Orleans trip continues.

Twins Question: Have you ever been to New Orleans? If so, what do you like to do here? Favorite bar or restaurant? Favorite site to see? If you have not, would you ever visit New Orleans?

till next time,

purelytwins

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 25, 2013 - 11:29 am

I’ve always wanted to go to New Orleans! Looks awesome!

Cherie April 25, 2013 - 2:19 pm

Yall are in my stomping ground 🙂 I’m on the northshore in slidell!

Eating 4 Balance April 25, 2013 - 3:17 pm

Oh gosh I love New Orleans! I went there for service project with my church about 4 years ago I think. It took about two days to get there, but it was SO worth it. I love everything about the place.

I would suggest that you grab some beignets from Cafe Du Monde because those things are incredible, but… I’m not so sure how your stomachs would handle them. Lol. Like I said- over 4 years ago— I had a stomach of steel 😉

Lisa April 25, 2013 - 3:47 pm

New Orleans looks like a blast! I want to travel there at some point.
Looks like a lot of fun for you guys 🙂

Elisabeth April 25, 2013 - 8:53 pm

I LOVE New Orleans! I went this past summer and had a blast. Your pictures bring back so many fond memories! You girls should definitely check out City Park. They have a sculpture garden, running trails, boat rides, tennis courts, and so much more! Also, you should go on one of the cemetery/ghost tours; it has fascinating information, giving you history, geography, architecture, and stories of New Orleans.

Kari April 25, 2013 - 9:13 pm

Happy Birthday! You are in my neck of the woods, I heard Cafe Amelie on Royal St. is pretty good and Super Food Bar on Magazine st. make fresh and raw food and smoothies. Naked pizza on Claiborne makes a very healthy pizza that i love and they also have gluten free pizza. Enjoy your time here and please be very careful and I hope the weather is good.

Kelley Owens April 26, 2013 - 7:44 am

Happy Birthday! Our latest favorite local dining is Grand Isle over off Fulton and near the Convention Center and the River Walk. Our old standby for late night munchies and fun diner is Camellia Grill on Carrollton @ St. Charles. Go at non peak meal times as you will wait in line to be seated. Great omelets and sandwiches but its the atmosphere that we have loved for 32 years when we were there as students. The chili cheese is our favorite.

Clair W April 30, 2013 - 2:43 pm

Wow that food looks great! I love visiting new cities and checking out the sights… Looks like you guys had a great time! I hope you had a wonderful birthday 🙂