emotional eating

purelyworkout-logo
yoga

30 minutes of our new yoga dvd.ย  There are four 30 minute yoga workouts on the dvd. We have done the first two.

So far we are really liking them. They are different than the normal Tara Stiles Yoga we do.

eats-logo

Recap of our day yesterday:

juice

After our morning yoga we enjoyed a big green juice with our morning supplements.

banana

We each snacked on a spotted banana with our coffee while we did work.

egg scramble

Later on we each enjoyed an egg scramble (eggs, ground turkey, greens, zucchini, nutritional yeast, dulse flakes and coconut oil)

marie forleo

Watched a few Marie Forleo videos.ย  Love her.ย  She has been a huge help for us starting our new personal training business. We are still working on things and organizing a plan.

To be honest, this week we have been having a hard time getting motivated to do work of any kind.ย  Our minds and emotions have been all over the place…even our eats have not been the best (eating lots of chocolate and sugar and cupcakes). We know many of our un-pictured splurges have been emotional eating. We are trying not to beat ourselves up over it.

Ever since our early birthday celebration a few weeks ago, we have been struggling with finding a balance again.

roses3

Picked up some beautiful flowers to help brighten up the house ๐Ÿ˜‰

turkey avocado

Afternoon snack was some turkey mixed with avocado, sauerkraut and coconut oil.

ginger cider

We each enjoyed some ginger cider!ย  Seriously wish we hated these. haha

dinner

Dinner was baked cod with avocado, carrots and brussel sprouts all topped with coconut oil.

chocolate chip cookie

Dessert was 8 minute chocolate chip cookies.

We split the original recipe just used hemp protein instead of brown rice. And then enjoyed a second whole cookie – we followed the same recipe just tweaked it a little (1 whole egg and stevia instead of sugar).

YUM! Love chocolate chip cookies, do you?

With everything happening, we know emotional eating is going to happen. Just how life works sometimes. Overall we are trying our best with eating clean, but know the occasional extra cookie or one too many glasses of wine will occur.ย  We all go through periods in our life when food is comfort, we are no different!

Twins Question: How do you deal with emotional eating? Do you find it hard sometimes to get back into clean eating habits?

L and M

Sara April 18, 2013 - 9:34 am

Emotional eating is one of my biggest hindrances, I feel. I can blatantly see it coming most time, too. I know it will just take time and perseverance to overcome, but it will be well worth it. I cannot count the number of jars of peanut butter I consumed in the 2 months I was unemployed. Oh my! haha In all seriousness though, thank you for sharing your highs AND lows with us, reminding us we’re all human and will struggle from time to time. Much love to you girlies!

Kyra April 18, 2013 - 10:15 am

I never used to emotionally ear, but now It’s my go to Comfort. It sucks and is humiliating. And it doesn’t help my digestion issues too

Mandie April 18, 2013 - 10:42 am

Cookies look so yummy! I’ve been having an emotional eating problem lately. My mom was visiting me for a week and it was nothing but sweets and buffets (I live on the strip in Vegas ๐Ÿ˜‰ At first I was mad at myself for eating horrible and continually to eat not good even after she left. Something about sugar just makes you want more :). How I go back to clean eating is to start slow. I let myself know that not eating healthy for just a week is not going to affect my health. I ease into workouts, fill up on smoothies and read blogs that will get me motivated ๐Ÿ™‚ And flowers also help too ๐Ÿ˜‰

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 2:22 pm

well said Mandie ๐Ÿ™‚ starting slow is a great idea! xoxo

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) April 18, 2013 - 11:33 am

I’m the emotional noneater, which is really not any better. I try to deal with my emotions, not so much the eating side, if that makes sense. Don’t beat yourselves up over the eating part, just recognize it and move forward to make things better. Keep your chins up! xoxo

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 2:22 pm

yes makes sense ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks luv!

Victoria April 18, 2013 - 11:38 am

I was grumpy yesterday and ate some cold fries, vietnamese food, and a large bowl of coconut milk cookie dough ice cream.
I’ve also indulged in a bit too much wine lately, and I know that has to end because I SHOULD be in pre-race healing mode.

I find the best way to get on track is just to drown your sorrows in as much healthy options as possible, it seems like eventually my brain figures out that it’s not going to get the ‘comfort’ food it wants. Sometimes one ‘bad’ meal will satisfy that craving too.

You’re not alone in ‘falling off the wagon’, and I have no doubt that you’ll get back on track! You know what you need to do, and you know the impact that non-clean foods have on you. You guys are going through a difficult time, so it’s understandable. But just know that healthy food will help you cope better as well ๐Ÿ™‚

Hugs!

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 2:23 pm

thank you Victoria!! HUGS

Simone April 18, 2013 - 1:03 pm

I really struggle with it! my best friend passed away about 6 months ago and I find myself elbow deep in treats all the time, especially when i’m alone with my thoughts. I realize that i’m using food as a distraction and it has hardly helped the ever expanding waist line! I’ve gone to therapy to try and talk out my feelings but so far nothings really helping, I’m having a hard time finding real comfort in anything other than food. I mean whats more comforting that a full belly ๐Ÿ™‚

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 2:23 pm

sorry Simone about your loss, losing a close friend is never easy. yes a happy belly helps ๐Ÿ™‚ Sending you lots of hugs!!

Tiffany Marie April 18, 2013 - 1:16 pm

I know you both have coconut oil, I’ve noticed several times a day, I have heard good and bad things about coconut oil (as with everything)but I really enjoy it and want to include it more than I do now, especially since it’s good for killing bad bacteria in the GI tract, which I am currently struggling with and fighting off. So I was wondering- how has it helped you, and what differences have you noticed since including it frequently? I know you have been including it for quite a long time now, so it must be doing something great!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks luvs!
Tiff

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 2:26 pm

thanks Tiffany, to be honest we have been having coconut oil in our diet for so long now that we kinda forget what our bodies were like without it. we notice that overall our skin is a little less dry (even though there are times our skin is really dry, but we are realizing we need more vita D and A to help with that), but love how coconut oil taste and just overall what it has done for our bodies over the years.

Alex @ Alex Tries it Out April 18, 2013 - 1:58 pm

I don’t feel like I emotionally eat, but at the same time, I’m not sure I’m always aware of it, you know?

It’s good when you realize it, then it’s much easier to turn around, I think!

Meg @ A Dash of Meg April 18, 2013 - 2:08 pm

I’ve never dealt with emotional eating, sis <3 but I'm here to support you <3 you'll get back into your reg routine soon enough!

Melissa @TryingtoHeal April 18, 2013 - 3:54 pm

I have been having an emotional eating week too and yes, I agree it’s very hard to get back to our healthier ways. But we just have to know what it is that helps calm us down, and realize that eating like that won’t help those emotions go away. Best of luck ladies; I’m rooting for ya!

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 5:04 pm

Melissa very true!! Thank you sweetie for the support, best of luck to you too HUGS

Christa @ Edible Balance April 18, 2013 - 4:24 pm

I’ve been having a real hard time with balancing everything these days too. Running/working out has been put on the backburner for a little while so that I can take some time to figure out what foods are working for my body and what I’m reacting negatively towards.

There is so much stress these days that I’m trying to focus on a few things at a time. I’m sure I have some emotional eating habits I’ve fallen into again, it happens. I think being mindful of what we are doing is key, regardless of what I am going through, but I also need to remember to be kind to myself! Yes, I ate some fries with dinner when I was out last night (it’s been a long time!), but I thoroughly enjoyed them ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hugs to you both <3

purelytwins April 18, 2013 - 5:05 pm

Christa we are right there with ya! So much going on here too, finding balance can get lost. Yes being kind and forgiving to our-self is key.

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution April 18, 2013 - 10:06 pm

Emotional eating is a big issue for me. When I am “craving” something I always first stop to reflect on how I am feeling, am i eating my emotions or because I really want something. Then I ask myself how I will feel afterwards, if guilty is the answer then I skip out.

The last timeI really wanted to cheat, I stopped at the store and left with a fruit salad. I felt quite proud!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) April 19, 2013 - 12:23 pm

I just want to make a quick comment that you should NEVER feel “guilty” for a food decision. If it was what you were craving and what you wanted I think you should honor that. It’s not cheating, it’s living. Yes you left with a fruit salad, but what it what you really wanted? Yes, maybe it tasted good, but you may end up still craving what you originally wanted. My philosophy is everything is fine in moderation and one day WILL NOT change or effect your body. I’m not trying to preach I just think life is too short to beat yourself up over honoring a craving ๐Ÿ™‚

lindsay April 18, 2013 - 10:37 pm

you know.. i think that celebration times are meant to be RICH, like the food. But knowing you, you are craving simple now and it that will all even out, yes?

purelytwins April 19, 2013 - 10:01 am

we hope so ๐Ÿ™‚

Kristi @ lifesprinkles April 19, 2013 - 10:27 am

I definitely struggle with emotional eating! I find that when I’ve been ‘stress eating’ as I like to call it, it usually takes me a week or so of conscious effort to get back on track. Having some extra support like joining in a Tone It Up 7 day slim down can help. ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad to see you girls have the right attitude about recognizing that it’s going to happen and not beating yourselves up. You’ll be back to your normal ways in no time. It’s all about balance. ๐Ÿ™‚

amanda j April 19, 2013 - 11:30 am

emotional eating is part of life, during the good times and bad times. it’s important to remember that food is nourishment, for our bodies AND souls! glad you both are soooo self-aware and not beating yourselves up over it. whenever I’m going through a rough patch, I try to remember the idea of impermanence, and like everything, it will pass. just keep breathing and take one step, one day, at a time. xoxo

purelytwins April 19, 2013 - 9:52 pm

Thank you Amanda!

Heathy April 19, 2013 - 12:01 pm

Aw, I can sympathize with you girls. I think we all experience emotional eating from time to time – I definitely do. I think awareness is so key and one of the first steps in healing it/stopping yourself in the moment. I’m so much better now at recognizing it and realizing I’m actually lonely or sad, etc and trying to fill a void.

Debbie (Accidently Delish) April 19, 2013 - 12:19 pm

You two have had a lot going on lately, and honestly, if you found a little comfort in food, I don’t see anything wrong in that. Food is to be enjoyed right? Just make sure you don’t beat yourself up too much over it, we are all human, and really no decision we make is a bad one. It may not be what you normally do, or how you normally live, but what is normal? To me balance, normal, living, is just that. LIVING. Life is too short to dwell on little situations like these.

You two are amazing and very positive people, so just focus on the positives and not the negatives. Your body and life will balance out again <3

purelytwins April 19, 2013 - 9:53 pm

Thank you Debbie for the reminder – food is to be enjoyed ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo thank you for your kind and supportive words