research about balancing hormones

purelyworkout-logo

walkjax

Yesterday was an active rest day for us. We went for two walks outside. Both of us (and Jax) are anxious for the warmer weather!

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

morning-juice

Started our morning with green juice. Juices have been kale, romaine, cucumber, carrots, granny smith apple, fresh ginger. Simple and delicious.

salmon and eggs

Later it was time for coffee with our eggs. We had leftover salmon from the night before that we decided to throw into our egg mixture with shredded brussel sprouts. And of course had some raw runny yolks and coconut oil.

rawcookies

We played in the kitchen some yesterday. Making some desserts for us to enjoy the next few days with our parents (who are coming into town).  First up we made some raw cookies. Instead of pumpkin seeds listed in original recipe we used almonds. And did a mix of cacao nibs with Enjoy life chocolate chips. These raw cookies are going with the cupcakes we are making today all topped with our cashew frosting from our cookbook.

marshmallow

Snacked on marshmallows and chia seed pulp crackers all day long.

matcha-greentea

Enjoyed some matcha green tea with some maca and stevia mixed in.

eggproteinbowl

Made ourselves another egg pancake with perfect fit protein that crumbled on us. So we tossed crumbs into a bowl and topped with bee pollen, cacao nibs and coconut oil.  (for the egg pancake with just add one whole egg with one scoop perfect fit protein with some water, and cook on stovetop)

our-dinner

Dinner was buffalo burger, half avocado, half zucchini and some steamed turnips. Lori added a handful of lettuce to her plate. Both topped with coconut oil.  Also enjoyed some cider with our dinner. Michelle’s first time having cider. Thanks to Teri for the recommendation. We enjoyed it!

8mincookie

Dessert was our chocolate chip cookies that makes 2.

So good!

cuteline3-01

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, thoughts and tips on carbs, magnesium, and green tea. And digestion in general. We love you all so much!   We are excited to try some new things in our diet to see how our bodies do. Of course we will keep you all updated and share any findings along the way.

And we are curious about how taking maca AGAIN will help with our hormones, as you know we have been suffering from hormonal imbalance for 4 years now from going off birth control.

Over the years we have had short lived moments when we thought we were getting better, but then we would get a really bad hormonal acne break out, bad mood swings, and still have irregular periods.  As you can see from our history we have shared and tried just about everything.

Hormones are not that easy to heal!  But we are determined to find our balance, so we can help others that suffer too. We have done a ton of research and read books on balancing hormones and they all pretty much say the same thing. And we have done just about everything people and doctors recommend. We know there is a solution we just have to stay positive and keep moving forward!

We both are doing well. Yesterday was a good day for us both and we have a lot going on these next few days. As we mentioned above our parents are coming into town so we are SUPER excited!!

Twins Question: Do you find when you research about hormones or read a book that they all say the same/similar things? Do you like scientific research or personal experience to help you reach a solution?

amanda j April 4, 2013 - 10:02 am

I feel ya, ladies! Hormone balance is tough (mine are all wonky too and constantly trying to figure it out). We’ll get there 🙂 hugs from cali!

purelytwins April 4, 2013 - 10:20 am

hugs Amanda 🙂

Stacy April 4, 2013 - 10:22 am

How much maca are u doing? Are u doing the gelatinized? I’m curious to try it myself

This might sound like a silly question, but do u know how many ounces of avo u eat? I find the sizes of avos vary greatly, so half an avo could be as big as one avo lol.

Thanks gals…. Ur eats always look amazing

purelytwins April 4, 2013 - 2:26 pm

Stacy right now we are taking about 1-2 tsp of maca and going to try to work our way up to 1 tbsp of it.
We have no idea the ounces of our avocado.

Chris April 4, 2013 - 10:27 am

Keep positive and trust in God! We must carry our Cross with love.

Glad to hear the fam will be together.

Do you have an egg free chocolate chip version of the recipe?

Can you make the raw cookie dough without dates (use stevia as sweetener)?

How can you make the pulp crackers if you do not have a juicer to get pulp? Can you use shredded veggies?

Match is good, but it can be a bit shocking to your body. You might wish to try a loose leaf green tea to start. I drink green tea every day. Also, for long-term financial purposes, this way is more economical. Match is expensive 🙂

purelytwins April 4, 2013 - 2:31 pm

no we do not have an egg free version yet of those cookies, we are still working on it.
we think you can make those raw cookies with stevia, might need a little water to help bind it together.
we will have to make sure the veggies are really finely shredded, or you can try blending in a blender.

RH April 4, 2013 - 10:59 am

One thing that helped me regulate my hormones was maca, but not the kind you have featured on your blog before. Normal maca that you buy in the store is a random combination of lots of phenotypes of the plant, and my naturopath told me that studies have found different phenotypes have different effects. What I use is a product she recommended called MacaHarmony by Femmenessence. It’s more expensive, but it’s specifically designed to help regulate hormones in young women. Some phenotypes are for men and others are for menopausal women! You never know what you’re getting in those big bags from Nativas Naturals.

Dr. Samantha April 6, 2013 - 2:13 pm

I’m a naturopath and was just going to post that I use the Femmenessence brand in my practice when I saw this comment. 🙂 They’ve got good quality control and great studies.

Jen April 4, 2013 - 11:13 am

A tough one! I’ve been having some success with Vitex (Chaste Tree) tincture. I was told I have PPDM and Endometriosis…this has helped a lot with moods and physical pain….I’ve also tried many things…and use Maca 🙂 Hope you find your balance 🙂

purelytwins April 4, 2013 - 2:33 pm

thanks Jen, we tried Vitex a few years ago and did not notice anything – maybe down the road we can try it again 🙂

Gillian April 4, 2013 - 12:16 pm

Loving all these delicious eats!

I have to say that the biggest thing for me personally in balancing my hormones is to really rest and cut out any high intensity workouts. Easier said than done when it comes to letting go of fitness goals, but my cycle and skin have responded really well. These days I just walk a little and do yoga when I can.

Lots of love to you both!

purelytwins April 4, 2013 - 2:34 pm

we just talked about that the other day, how when we took a break from the HIIT – were our hormones better or not. definitely always on the back of our minds, we hope to really get into yoga more to help! 🙂
HUGS

Christa @ Edible Balance April 4, 2013 - 1:54 pm

Lately I feel like I’ve had information overload. It’s hard to balance the information let alone my hormones!! I agree, it will take time. The imbalance didn’t happen overnight, so I’m not going to heal overnight. I have to remind myself that every. single. day. I am so grateful that you ladies are posting these, it does help! <3

purelytwins April 4, 2013 - 2:35 pm

thanks girl! totally agree- we have to remind ourselves daily too! HUGS

Taylor @ Liftingrevolution April 4, 2013 - 3:07 pm

When it comes to anything with my body, I love doing the research but that’s just a baseline to get ideas going. It really comes down to experimenting on myself to see what works and what doesn’t. I also have imbalanced hormones (even on BC) so I know how you girls feel!

I love your openness and honesty with all your trials and tribulations. Thanks!

lindsay April 4, 2013 - 4:03 pm

can i join your maca train? i on the same hormonal balance crazies as well. ALways worth a shot to try new things!

michelle April 4, 2013 - 4:07 pm

Please check out

Amoung others, there is an intensive lecture on the world’s leading hormone research presented by David Wolfe. It is cutting edge, thorough and fills in the gaps as to what is going on with estrogen imbalance in the body subsequent to birth control use.

Often times things like maca and vitex do now work as the foundation for reception of these products has not been developed.

Also check out Alisa Vitti one of the world’s leading specialist in endocrinology. Her lectures are also on the website.

The website is $10 to try out, but is the single best investment I have made to date.

Good luck ladies!

Christy April 4, 2013 - 4:09 pm

I actually have not tried Maca yet and I’ve been dealing with hormonal issues for about 2 years now. My acne responded to castor oil and lemon/honey masks for a little while, but now it’s out of control again. Do you have a specific brand you recommend for the Maca??

millie April 4, 2013 - 6:58 pm

I just got this great book (that just came out)…it is all about hormone imbalances and how to heal them. ‘Woman Code” by Alisa Vitti. Also check her website, she has tons of info..she has spent years studying and helping women http://www.floliving.com

purelytwins April 5, 2013 - 8:45 am

thanks Millie!

Colleen April 4, 2013 - 7:43 pm

Have you considered going to a Naturopath? Though you are very dligent about trying things systematically, maybe a professional would be able to give you some guidance, especially since there are several issues you are dealing with.

purelytwins April 5, 2013 - 8:46 am

I went to one last year, she helped some but not as much as I was hoping.

Eating 4 Balance April 4, 2013 - 8:10 pm

I like doing research, but I feel like whenever I think I have something figured out… I don’t! Haha. 🙂

All that I know is that unless force-fed I am never taking pills for my hormones again. Those things just made me feel awful and there can’t be anything healthy about their artificial-ness. (Not a word, I know 😉 )

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 4, 2013 - 8:15 pm

Oh girls… I could talk to you for HOURS about hormones! I am balancing mine naturally right now with my ND. Maybe at Blend we can chat?? I would love to pass on anything that might help you girls out!

purelytwins April 5, 2013 - 8:46 am

Brittany we would love that!!!

nilom kundu April 7, 2013 - 9:24 pm

I would love to know your secrets! I have been dealing with acne ever since I was 15. I’m 23 now and can’t get rid of it 🙁 It’s definitely hormonal too! 🙁

Kat April 4, 2013 - 8:32 pm

Love all your recipes, love hearing about the healing journey you’re taking together. And congrats for staying off BC! I know its so hard going off and staying off when your acne flares up, awful periods, and all the rest. I was in an awful depression for years before I got (sort of ) regulated. It indeed takes time. Birth control can really wreck your hormones, causing your body to stop producing its own estrogen, testosterone etc. Not to mention all the nasty stuff it does to your pituitary, but you guys already know that… Keep up the great work and insight!! <3

sarah April 5, 2013 - 1:28 am

Hey ladies,
I love your raw cookie dough, I need to try them with almonds now. When I stopped talking birth control my hormones were a mess. My doctor said it might be my vegan diet and to much running, so i cut back and nothing. I started talking more B vitamins and Chaste Tree Berry and I am happy to say things are normal again! Have you tried chaste tree berry and what about B vitamins?
Good Luck;)

purelytwins April 5, 2013 - 8:49 am

Thanks Sarah! We just started taking a B-complex- so we are excited to try that out. We think we tried Chaste Tree Berry a few years ago, maybe we will try it again! Thanks

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 5, 2013 - 1:40 am

Amazing eats, as usual, ladies! I’m especially eyeing that salmon scramble–yum! Oh, and I’d love a few raw cookie dough bites and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. Please share? 😉

I’m actually going to the gynecologist tomorrow because my hormones and period are way out of whack, too. I’m nervous that she’s going to recommend birth control to help assist in regaining my cycle, as I’ve heard horror stories from women who had complications with it. I’ve actually never heard about taking maca, but I’m intrigued and look forward to hearing if it works for you.

Hugs! <3

Kaila April 6, 2013 - 1:12 am

Don’t do it! Birth control is the worst thing you can do to your body…see if you can seek out/afford a functional medicine doc who will look at bio-identical hormones as a last-resort only…Good luck!!

Meg April 5, 2013 - 8:00 am

I’ve been adding a tbs of Maca to my avocado in my nori rolls for lunch…delicious!

nicole April 5, 2013 - 11:44 am

Trying to heal yourself can be a frustrating and slow process for sure! I’m a big believer in bioindividuality so whereas science can help provide a starting point or guidelines, often times it seems a little trial and error as an individual person is what is required. (having had a similar experience myself with hair loss that has resolved now)

Keep foraging ahead and good luck! Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Paula April 5, 2013 - 12:09 pm

Vitex or chaste berry is the only herb that is a source of progesterone. Has to be taken early in am, between 5 and 7 am. the other way to get progesterone is by using Emerita Pro-Gest cream on day 14 thru 28 of your cycle. Progesterone offsets estrogen dominance. Highly recommended for balancing hormones and acne.

Chris M. April 5, 2013 - 5:13 pm

It’s so frustrating to break out. I had horrible break outs when I was younger. I understand what you’re going through. Are hormones capable of healing?…managed maybe. So much can affect them food, environment, lunar cycle [duh…right?!] I’m post menopausal…hot flashes come and go, insomnia comes and goes. It’s really hard to know what causes it all and what to do. Do hormones cause cravings? Why do we suddenly crave different foods? It’s all very interesting and quite a journey! xo Love you guys!

Kaila April 6, 2013 - 1:11 am

Rebalancing your hormones is the hardest thing ever. I went to the Paleo F(X) event in Austin, TX this past week, and more than fitness and nutrition, it seemed like the idea of hormonal imbalance was the topic on everyone’s mind.

I’ve been blogging about my own journey to getting my hormones back into check (from acne to amenorrhea to anxiety to leptin resistance, etc.), and so far, no matter what I try, things don’t seem to be working out.

I did have minor success with maca for about two months–I started doing 1/2 tsp in the morning and 1/2 tsp at night, and I got my period back for two months (although the acne didn’t go away)–but I stopped it because I was worried about the phytoestrogens. When I started up again, no dice. Acne is still crazy and the amenorrhea rages on.

I’m really impressed that you guys are doing so much work to figure out what works for you–and it’s so wonderful to be able to follow your journey.

Something tha tmight help is Dr. Sara Gottfried’s The Hormone Cure. I just started reading it myself, and she’s a BAMF in the world of hormones and women’s health. 😉 I’m hoping that her words will reveal that “thing I’ve been missing all along.” Maybe it will help you guys as well? Check it out. I”d love to hear your thoughts.

Anyway, thanks again for being awesome. I love your blog–and your openness and honesty about your journey to health!

purelytwins April 6, 2013 - 9:23 am

Thanks Kaila! We will look into that book to see if we can get some answers too!

Anna April 6, 2013 - 11:13 pm

Just curious….have you guys been to a doctor? I wouldn’t recommend an endocrinologist, ad I’ve had problems with them. But what about a naturopathic doctor that specializes in hormones or women? Just a thought if you haven’t already 🙂

purelytwins April 7, 2013 - 11:42 am

Anna yes we have seen doctors.

nilom kundu April 7, 2013 - 9:10 pm

hello!

So what are you doing now to balance your hormones? I have been doing the oil cleansing for a month now and it has helped with the redness and scarring, but it doesn’t prevent breakouts. My breakouts are hormonal as well. What new things are you guys trying out?

Nicole September 30, 2013 - 4:38 pm

I’m going to try Estroblock next to balance my hormones, I feel like I’ve tried pretty much everything else. I’ll let you all know how it goes!

Thanks for all the wonderful information!

purelytwins September 30, 2013 - 5:44 pm

thanks Nicole, we are currently trying Estroblock too, we have been taking it for about one week so far and doing well

purelytwins September 30, 2013 - 5:48 pm

Nicole awesome, let us know how you do.