do we still believe in them

Yesterday was a travel day for Michelle, my travel day is coming up here soon. The twins will be together soon!!!!! 🙂  Yes, we are very excited.  So the end of the week shall be a little interesting with our eats due to working an expo, but we are sure to keep things interesting.

purelyworkout-logo

toneitup-legs

Yesterday I felt like working the legs.

We did the Tone it Up girls Love your Legs workout and did this 5 minute plank was as our warm-up.

Remember strive for progress not perfection. You can do it! You can do anything – just believe!

workhard

Just wanting to remind you to be proud of yourself! I know Lori and I are grateful for being able to get up every morning and workout!

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

Lori’s Tuesday:

My morning started like usual but had to hurry in the morning as I had a dentist appointment to get to. BTW I have great teeth, no problems, must be from all the oil pulling.

stevia-marshmallow

After my morning supplements it was time to enjoy some marshmallows. Look forward to these every morning.

beet-cucumber-juice

Lost some of my juice as I had a spillage issue.  I did get about 10 oz saved, thank goodness as it was a delicious juice.

eggs-over-greens

After sipping on my juice it was egg time. I enjoyed a plate full of arugula and chopped romaine served with coconut oil and two eggs.

bone-broth-cup

Enjoyed some bone broth which Jax wanted some too before I cooked up my lunch.

meatball-for-lunch

Lunch was again a plate full of greens, steamed rutabaga from the night before and liver beef meatballs. All topped with – yep, coconut oil.

egg-carob

Mid-afternoon snack was something vary random. I just cooked one egg with one tablespoon carob powder. Pretty much carob flavored egg puff. I enjoyed it. Also snacked on a few pulp crackers while I sipped on peppermint tea.

Dinner was a little late as we had our first dog training group class last night. Jax I feel did really well for his first group lesson. Not perfect but did great 🙂 So proud of him.

salmondinner

I did remember to take my pre-dinner pills. Dinner was sautéed salmon, sautéed kale, half avocado and some steamed broccoli. Topped with sea salt and olive oil. Simple, yet delicious.

Lori’s final thoughts:

Great day…well in terms of going poo. I had another really great success in the bathroom. I have a feeling it is from the variety of magnesium pills I am taking that are starting to get things moving, if you know what I mean (which I think you do). Energy was ok, not great but ok. I was pretty focused and productive. Had a good bill of health in terms of my teeth and mouth, so that is good. Besides that not much new to add, everything else is the same, back is the same and a few very small pimples on the face that I am treating. Which I knew I might still breakout from time to time as I am still figuring things out, so trying not worry about them.  Very hard to do.

Although by getting a few pimples, and I know Michelle got a few small ones too, just makes us question everything again.

We still believe in the power of dark leafy greens!

We are trying to increase our intake of greens. Trying not to overdo it or worry about if we eat them or not, just making a mental effort to have them more when we can. And we are doing a little bit more raw foods (raw greens) into our diet. Still plan on either juicing or cooking up the hearty greens like kale and swiss chard as right now we do feel for digestion it is easier in those forms.

Years ago we fell in love with the power of greens (from smoothies to juices to salads) and now we are hoping the power of them can help heal us. Plus, we really do love our greens, raw and cooked! Do you love greens? Do you believe they can heal?

Michelle’s Tuesday recap:

As Lori mentioned I traveled yesterday, so my schedule is changing due to working long days at the expo.

tues eats feb 19

Meal 1 – juice and my morning supplements

Meal 2 – eggs with lettuce and coconut oil

Meal 3 – broccoli slaw, coconut oil and beef liver meatballs

Meal 4 – romaine, swiss chard, salmon, avocado, coconut oil and supplements

Meal 5 – well not really a meal but it was my gelatin mixed with water, probiotic, magnesium and one chocolate truffle.

Overall my day – had a small bowel movement, drank 10 cups water, had some bone broth, and was feeling fine all day. As Lori mentioned I am breaking out all over on my face, and my face seems more red. I am trying not to stress over it but being aware. The only things I can think of that could be causing them is chocolate (which some of the truffles I had did have coconut nectar in it),  stress, eating too much meat, eating too much fat, and/or not eating enough carbs. Just some thoughts going through my mind lately since my skin is not happy.  My eczema is fine, no itching of my legs. And I still have red bumps on my arms that I know someone asked me if I still had. Just crazy how the body works.

A lot of our posts lately have been about staying positive and not giving up. Well, this is how we stay focused. We have to be constantly reminding ourselves. As you can see we struggle with staying positive sometimes. We feel bad for saying we are doing great and then the next day we are questioning everything we are doing.  Our diet lately has helped in some areas just not everything. Maybe we just need to give it more time. Maybe we are rushing things. Or maybe it is the opposite. We need more things.

Anyways more things still to learn…like to be patient. And smile when facing tough times.

Twins Question: Do you question your decisions? What are your thoughts on trying something, then run into a slump, how do you keep going? Are you crazy like us and have these types of thoughts going through your mind?

Cammie February 20, 2013 - 10:41 am

Have you girls ever gotten tested for SIBO/parasites? Parasites can cause your face to breakout and specific foods feed them (aka sugar and starch)! I’m sure everyone suggests a boat load of different causes, but the root of many food allergies is SIBO/yeast/ and or parasites. Yuck I know I had them all. It’s so hard to stay positive when your face breaks out, but just remember how inspiring you are to everyone and how brave it is for you guys to share:) You are helping so many people and it is truly amazing. Your blog rocks.

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 10:57 am

Cammie no test for SIBO, but Michelle did get a stool test done back in 2011 and showed she had a little candida, and recall no parasites. We have talked a lot already about SIBO one reason we are not having any sugar right now. Thank you for your support!!

Erin February 20, 2013 - 11:30 am

Hi Ladies,

I like your positive outlook on things! I know it can be frustrating, but I am learning as you are everything is a journey.

I experience breakouts and a red face. I am learning mine is from undiagnosed sensitivity to gluten; possibly celiac, but I have to the courage to get tested. Thanks to you, I have been drawn to healthier ways and starting the GAPS diet to heal my gut. I never would have looked into it if it was not for you two wonderful ladies! Thank you! So now, the next part of my journey begins. Learning to listen to my body more and enjoy every moment I can.

Cheers! (I am holding up my chicken broth as I say this.)

Erin

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 1:55 pm

Erin thank you so much for your sweet comment 🙂 you have no idea how much that means to us to hear!! thank you! 🙂 xoxo

araceli February 20, 2013 - 11:34 am

hey ladies! i don’t have much experience with skin related issues, but i’ve had digestive problems that have affected my bowel movements and would like to suggest castor oil packs! castor oil is pretty amazing actually! the packs help with a variety of ailments, penetrating through to organs and encouraging elimination in a very natural way. very easy to do at home, also great way to relax and wind down at night! youtube and google have lots of info on the matter – just though i’d share! 🙂

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 1:56 pm

oh yes castor oil packs, we did those about 2 years ago, but have not done them since, we remembering liking it. guess we might have to give it a try again 🙂 thanks

GiGi Eats Celebrities February 20, 2013 - 12:37 pm

I seriously need to BUCK UP and make those marshmallows!! I need to buy all the ingredients and go! 🙂

lindsay February 20, 2013 - 1:09 pm

my body broke down this week due to stress, i just know it. I actually tripled my probiotics and then spent some time praying. Sounds odd but boy did it help. Listening is key, yes?

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 1:57 pm

yes listening is key, we think stress has to do our skin issues lately as well, grrr that stupid stress always seems to get in the way doesn’t it haha
taking more probiotic that is a great idea!! HUGS

Anna @ Your Healthy Place February 20, 2013 - 1:10 pm

You really do have some of the cleanest eats ever! I love juicing though – I was just gifted a Breville juicer from my amazing employers last week and I have been playing around with it every day since! My favourite right now is celery, kale, beet, spinach, apple and lemon – amazing. If I want extra sweetness I’ll sometimes throw a carrot in. Heaven!

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 1:58 pm

thanks Anna 😉
and yay for juice and Breville love! enjoy xoxo

Chris February 20, 2013 - 1:50 pm

Stay strong and be in the moment. My number one source of strength: God. There is nothing relevant when you think about how much He loves you.

Just curious, did you ever try to eliminate eggs? It would be interesting to see how your skin does.

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 1:59 pm

Lori took out eggs about this time last year for a good 5 months and noticed nothing. meaning her skin was still the same without the eggs, granted though we were not doing everything we are doing now, so always a possibility of trying it again.

Quinn February 20, 2013 - 3:05 pm

Have you ever thought about diotomacious earth? I actually just started taking some today, don’t know how I’ll feel. The biggest benefit seems to be super regular, healthy bowel movements. And great hair, nails, and skin from all the silica. Plus it’s really cheap and kills bugs and fleas if you sprinkle it around.

I’ve been on a similar health journey for a while now, and I totally agree that positivity is the best healer! I think stress can undermine all of our great efforts, and we won’t realize all the benefits we could be getting from our healing efforts!

Much love and support to you both! You’ve come so far and I know you’ll reach your health (and all your other) goals!

Elsbeth February 20, 2013 - 4:02 pm

I’ll be at the expo on Friday! I hope I get to meet you!!

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 4:18 pm

yay Elsbeth 🙂

Jessica February 20, 2013 - 4:43 pm

My acne journey is very, very similar to you girls (that’s probably why your blog is my favorite :)), and one thing that I have noticed now that I am “mostly clear” is that sometimes my skin will flare or clear up almost entirely for no reason whatsoever. I can’t link it to food, supplements, stress, cycle, makeup, anything. It just happens. I’ve learned to love the good times and accept the bad times (although my “bad” skin now is nothing like it was at its worst).

As emotionally exhausting as having acne can be (I have been breaking out to some degree since I was 9 years old; I’m 29 now!), in some ways I think acne sufferers are lucky because our body SHOWS us that something isn’t right and gives us the opportunity to improve our health. So many people go around with flawless skin and no other health symptoms and all of a sudden they are diagnosed with cancer or another serious illness. We’re kind of like canaries in the coal mine… our acne shows that normal food, cosmetics, etc., are not good for us!

Stay strong! It’s not easy being “not normal” sometimes, but I like to think it builds character. 🙂

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 6:12 pm

thanks Jessica 🙂 it can be very emotionally exhausting, we totally agree. HUGS

amanda j February 20, 2013 - 5:32 pm

big hugs to you both! That’s all 🙂 oh! I finally got a juicer and cannot wait to make some fresh veggie juices starting this week – gonna be juices all around. xoxo

purelytwins February 20, 2013 - 8:09 pm

hugs right back at ya Amanda! yay for juicing 🙂

Kyra February 20, 2013 - 5:54 pm

Can u explain the magnesium combo u are doing?

The pimples could be detox. I know that sounds really lame, but maybe these are “good” pimples bc ur body is trying to expel whatever is causing ur skin to clog? U r eliminating better in terms of bm’s, so perhaps ur body is in the purge stage right now and once u get rid of the Icky stuff, u will find ur skin is better?

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 7:48 am

magnesium glycinate and magnesium citrate, along with the magnesium oil. we think our bodies is really liking all the different kinds, well we think 😉
and yes agree, we did think that too about them being just a little detox. hopefully are you are right that these are the good pimples and will work themselves out 🙂 xoxo

Lisa February 20, 2013 - 6:02 pm

Awe, I can completely and totally relate to the skin issues! I went through ups and downs when trying to figure out the right thing for my skin. It’s tough, especially because your body can’t physically tell you what is best, but you have to play around with your diet. I’m like you both in that my skin is extremely sensitive and what I eat effects my skin, mood, etc. It took me a good 2 years of experimenting but finally my skin is clear and my diet works for me. I KNOW both of you will find what works, because you’re already making the steps! It’s just finding it that’s key. Of course also doing things that benefit your skin too, like face wash, stress less, hormones, etc.
Oops for the long comment, I just know where you are coming from! If you ever need any extra support, I’m always here:)
Okay, I’ve really got to try the marshmallows! Especially for those rocking benefits of gelatin!

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 7:49 am

thanks Lisa for the sweet words and the encouragement!!! we needed to hear this 🙂 love ya

Celina Toenz February 21, 2013 - 5:29 am

Its fascinating reading about your food/health journey! Have you read Kimberly Snyder’s detox beauty book? Her comments on digestion and eating light to heavy are crucial in clearing your skin and moving your bowels! Wouldnt hurt to try 🙂

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 7:51 am

thanks, and yes we read her book last year, great book with great points. 🙂

Miz February 21, 2013 - 7:21 am

annd you lost me at the skull tee 🙂
I need to order that…

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 7:50 am

hehe

Marin February 21, 2013 - 7:26 am

You were hitting the mark with all the self-doubting: boy, does that stink up my days. One day I feel like I’m doing everything right, only to see the acne wreaking havoc on my face the following day. (Hoorah for frustration-talk) I have so much admiration for you two and the way you are doing your best to take care of your bodies;even though it would be soooo good if there weren’t so many options and factors etc. I just try to remind myself that it’s not always my fault and I didn’t do anything wrong. Lots of hugs from The Netherlands!

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 7:51 am

thanks Marin!! HUGS

lailja February 21, 2013 - 9:13 am

i know i’m considerably older than most of you. hope that doesn’t penalize me 🙂 not everything is related to what we eat, stress, etc. life is simply life…with all it’s foibles and yummies. the variables are unlimited living in an unlimited world. besides, it’s amazing how we can “stress” because we are stressing 🙂 i sure don’t have answers, just wanted to say a word or two. oh…don’t know if i shared this before, however, i’ve heard wonders for some folks using aspirin (ie: “clean” powder can be gotten via vet sites). google: “aspirin for acne”. as for myself– crying and walking can soothe my sweet soul…and that seems to naturally bring on a precious gratitude. with tender hugs, lailja
PS: congrats to jax and ya’ll for your diligence!

Deanna@healthyleanfit February 21, 2013 - 1:01 pm

Hi girls!! Love to hear that you have these days too! Where you question everything! We’ve all been there sooo many times! A couple of thoughts: when I’ve been in a good place and something changes, I like to go right back to the place I was where everything was good and hold there for a bit. Once everything “normalizes” or improves again, I start making changes much more slowly. That usually helps to pinpoint the issue a little better. So, since you both were really good just last week and the week before, perhaps going back to what you were doing then. I think he biggest changes you’ve made recently were the avocado and chocolate. So, maybe take those back out and this time when you add them back in, take a whole week adding them in before making any other changes. It can help to clear any confusion. I feel like skin issues in the form of acne can take longer to show up than other symptoms. I hope that helps! You inspire me each day on my healing journey!!! Keep at it because you WILL feel better!!! 🙂

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 10:04 pm

love ya girl!!! we were thinking those same things 😉 HUGS

Linda S February 21, 2013 - 2:36 pm

Are you stil using the Natural Calm? I was thinking about trying it (and if so, flavor or no flavor, what did you mix it with, etc). Thanks 🙂

purelytwins February 21, 2013 - 10:03 pm

yes Michelle uses it, right now just have the no flavor but heard the lemon flavor is good. right now just mixing it with water.

Lizzy March 17, 2014 - 5:48 pm

Hi girls,
I am on a similar journey with a lot of the same issues.
I’ve noticed when I eat carob daily it binds me- think it adds up. Maybe something to look at in your own diet in correlation to bowel movements.

🙂

purelytwins March 17, 2014 - 6:49 pm

thanks Lizzy, we don’t eat carob everyday, but every once in awhile. thanks for the tip.