raw vegan vs paleo digestion – is one better than the other

How is our digestion doing now compared to when we were eating more raw vegan foods?

A question that we have received a lot from you guys and thought today we would share our thoughts.

But first onto our workout and eats from yesterday 😉
purelyworkout-logo

toneitup-fullbody

Yesterday was a full body tone it up workout.

We did their #loveryourtotalbody workout followed by some extra exercises off our equalizer.

We also did our 8 minute plank workout.

plank workout

Each morning both of us feel inspired and motivated to move the body! We love working out first thing in the morning as we feel it helps set our tone and mood for the day. Anyone else experience that as well?

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

Lori’s day:

After workout I drank 2 cups of water along with my morning probiotic, fermented cod liver oil and l-glutamine.

making-juice

Juice was a powerful one. It was 5 small carrots, half cucumber and 4 stalks of kale. Along with some ginger. Must say it was a little rough getting down. I added 1 tsp coconut oil to help with flavor. I want to try to make my juices more green but hard doing that when I can’t add in any fruit. So Michelle and I plan on experimenting with some new ideas here soon. Of course taking it slow with adding in fruit but something we are thinking about.

swiss-chard-runny-egg

Next I sautéed some chopped swiss chard with 2 eggs, ground turkey and some coconut oil.

buffalo-burger

Enjoyed one cup of bone broth along with some sliced brussel sprouts, broccoli carrot slaw and a buffalo burger with coconut oil. I also took 2 HCL and one digestive enzyme pill before my lunch, which really helped improve my digestion even more.

beet-fudge-chocolatebites

Little bit later I made a new recipe!  A little Valentine’s day inspiration 🙂

avocado-carob-chia-pudding

Mid-afternoon snack was a mini avocado, cucumber, chia seed, carob pudding. With some coconut oil. Pudding was alright, I added in some mint extract and stevia to the pudding. Since I only did 1/4 of avocado it was hard to blend in the blender. So not as smooth and creamy as I would have liked. But still enjoyed it.

tiplia-cauliflower

Dinner was tipilia with lettuce, roasted cauliflower and a few steamed beets and the other 1/4 of avocado leftover from pudding. Topped with olive oil and nutritional yeast.

cashewgelatin=balls

Dessert was two cashew balls (another new recipe) with my gelatin water mush.

Lori’s day recap:

Yesterday was a great day in terms of energy and no real headaches. I drank about 10 cups of water (not including juice). I had one alright bowel movement in the morning. No major issues with the skin on the face, still doing great with no blemishes. My back acne is still struggling, I got 2 new pimples on back of shoulders along with the old scars. So thinking of trying to find a more medicated back wash or something. I have been using a sea salt bath bar soap in the shower each morning which I feel is somewhat helping. I am still trying to figure out what is causing my back skin issues, not really sure if I will ever figure it out.

Michelle Tuesday eats:

breakfast lunch

Started my morning with morning supplements and then a simple juice – cucumber, carrots, romaine and little ginger.

The rest of my breakfast was eggs, cooked kale, leftover salmon and coconut oil and  of course raw egg yolks.

Lunch was a simple – sardine, half lamb burger (i got from wholefoods last week in the freezer section) and brussel sprouts. I topped by lunch with nutritional yeast and coconut oil.  A little boring meal for me, haha

avocado snack pudding

Later afternoon snack was avocado pudding!!! Lori and I used to eat these all the time – a staple meal when we were raw vegans!  I blended 1 whole avocado with 1 small cucumber (skinned), 1 tbsp chia seeds, some peppermint extract for flavor and cacao nibs (because I felt like them!).

Honestly I am still not sure how my body really likes avocados.  I personally love them and enjoy eating them, but did get a little bloated later in the day. Although I did eat this meal when my emotions were a little upset and high, so I know emotions can play a huge role how food digests. So not stressing yet about avocado.

simple cauliflower pizza crust

Dinner I felt like making cauliflower pizza crusts. I am still going along with keeping things simple for my digestion here is what I did:

Simple Cauliflower Crust –

• 3 whole eggs
  • 1 whole head cauliflower
  • dash of sea salt and black pepper

Lightly chop cauliflower and place into food processor and pulse till rice-like. Then add in eggs, salt, and pepper and blend till smooth.

Spread onto lightly greased baking pan. I made 4 small crusts. Baked in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

Top with your favorite toppings.

The crust was EXTREMELY delicate! Not a pizza crust you could pick up, but enjoy with a fork and knife. There are a ton of cauliflower crust recipes out there, this one I did was a very, very basic nothing fancy not quite pizza crust.

dinner pizza

But it sure was good enough for me. I topped my crust with mixed greens and crispy tuna! And drizzled with olive oil.

Thoughts on my day:

I started the day feeling great, but like I said late afternoon my emotions got a little crazy. Not really sure why, but I was upset and sad and just could not get the feelings to leave. So I do think that might be why my digestion was off, because I do believe emotions control everything.

I am not perfect, but each meal I am trying to be better at truly appreciating the food.  I did take my pre-dinner supplements and enjoyed this same snack before dinner.   I was gassy throughout the evening. As I mentioned above not sure if it was from avocado, or maybe it was from all the brussel sprouts I had at lunch and then had cauliflower at dinner. Who knows. Sometimes I honestly do NOT have the answers. I am clueless still sometimes why my body does things.  I did have a small bowel movement, still not sure why my body not going as well as it did a few days ago.

cuteline3-01

Remember to check out our post about Guidelines to Heal your Gut.

And check out our top Valentines Day treats!

raw vegan vs paleo purelytwins

Ok so now onto answering the question of how is our digestion now compared to when we were more raw vegans?

This is a hard question to answer. Honestly, there were moments when we were raw vegans that we felt our digestion was good. We had our good and bad days. Now, presently with eating more animal based meals (and avoiding other foods) and taking all these supplements to help with digestion and heal the gut (since we all know how important having a strong and healthy gut is to an overall healthy life) we feel is helping. We feel our digestion now is fairly strong. Still not perfect yet, but better … well most days we feel better with our digestion.

We know it still takes time for the body to heal, as we are still trying our best to avoid most of the foods mentioned in our heal the gut plan. We are still going to take all the supplements and digestive enzymes to help with digestion as we feel we still need them.

We have never really said we eat paleo, though from our eats lately it seems that way. Again we are not fans of food labels as everybody is different and the body will need different things at different times in life. We do feel though by eating a more ‘paleo’ style diet has helped balance out our hormones better (still not perfect but better), has cleared up our face acne (though both still struggling with back acne), has helped control our mood swings better, and has given us both such mental clarity and happiness.

We both do miss our green smoothies we admit. We actually talked about that yesterday. Like we have mentioned many  times during this journey we hope that one day we can have a well balanced diet, that might be a mix of raw vegan and paleo style eats. Only time will tell if that is possible or not.  At the moment we are still trying to figure out what our individual balance is with food.

Some of you have also asked will we be eating grains (well besides enjoying brown rice protein now) and beans again (aka socca)? We think so, but right now we are not too worried about adding those foods back into our diet just yet. We think we need to heal a little bit more before adding those.

We will continue to share our thoughts about foods and digestion as we continue to learn more through our own experiences.

Okay back to raw vegan vs paleo digestion:

1 – When eating raw vegan foods you are digesting different things than eating paleo and vice versa.  Either way of eating you have to find what foods within that “diet” that your body likes. It takes trial and error…it takes time!

2- Raw vegan foods are more fiber and sugar based.  (yes still has protein and some fat)

3 – Paleo foods are more fat and protein based.  (yes still has fiber and sugar)

4 – Some people handle lower fat diets. Some people handle no meat diets. Some people handle no fiber diets. Etc.

5 – Each way of eating has a pro and con. Is one really better than other? Well it depends on a person’s digestion. Honestly that is the key! (When we were eating more raw vegan our bodies were not absorbing any of the nutrients we were eating. We realized our gut was damaged, which is how we were lead to this gut healing journey of eating more animal fats. As we progress we hope our bodies can absorb nutrients from all types of foods).

6- We know people that can eat anything and still feel great, go to the bathroom, workout daily, have great skin, etc…and then we know people like us where we have to be careful in order to get these same things.

7- Is that fair? No. But life is what we make it. Take your health into your own hands. Find how you handle all types of food. Experiment. Make your OWN DIET! Do not worry about what LABEL it is!

Twins Question: What are your thoughts on raw vegan foods vs paleo foods for digestion? Have you experimented with different diets? Do you notice a difference?

Lisa February 13, 2013 - 11:10 am

This is a great summary of the “issue” of digestion for each approach to eating. I definitely loved the raw vegan way of eating when I was doing it a few years ago…but my skin was a mess and I didn’t feel good emotionally (and I had tons of food cravings—probably all the sugar I was eating!). I feel better eating a more traditional diet, but I still have my issues (and sometimes I think I should stop drinking wine… but man, that would not be fun!). Thanks for sharing your perspective on this—I totally agree on the not wanting to label a diet. I like to say I just take all the points that work for me out of all the diets I’ve read about and make my own! You’re so right that everyone is different!

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 12:49 pm

Lisa we agree, and yes cannot give up our wine yet 🙂

lindsay February 13, 2013 - 1:34 pm

i think you spoke my very thought lisa, haha. But again, i feel like my digestion and hormones change depending on the my life circumstances. When i am under stress, i have to be careful what i eat so that i don’t over do the bacterial growth again. Simple, grain free, dairy free, etc. Easy to digest/absorb. But when things are fine, i introduce things back in, slowly. Our bodies are ALWAYS changing, yes? ANd so is our food unfortunately. Being extremely strict with food stresses me out more and then the whole thing just back fires. But, one day at a time, and listening to what WE NEED each day, yes? okay end massive comment. haha

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 3:19 pm

Lindsay you are so right! What is going on around us will change how we eat and feel. We are slowing realizing that our eats might just change depending on stress.

Elle February 13, 2013 - 12:10 pm

I did the Whole30 Paleo challenge through January and find that style of eating really agrees with me. I have had some alchohol since, some sushi once and the other night I made popcorn but found it wasn’t as good as I recalled!

I think it is good to experiment to find what what works for our own bodies… and I am with you… not a fan of labels.

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 12:49 pm

Elle glad to hear you found what works for you!

Tammy February 13, 2013 - 12:10 pm

I was really happy to see your post. I have dealt with digestion issues all my life, most recently gastroparesis. I was vegan for 2 years and thought that had solved my problems but never really felt 100%. I really missed good quality meat and eggs so the beginning of the year I started following the Perfect Health diet, easing into paleo. Right now I am doing a Whole30 challenge and I feel terrific. I am on day 13 and have more energy, less joint pain and my skin looks amazing. Like you said, what works for one person might not work for another but I have found giving up all grains, legumes, dairy and soy has made a huge difference. Good luck to the both of you and I look forward to reading more about your journeys!

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 12:50 pm

Tammmy that is awesome that you are doing so well! Best of luck on your journey too!

Brooke February 13, 2013 - 12:37 pm

GREAT post. I tried a Paleo diet to help with my IBS last year, and it caused the worst flare-up that I have ever had. Beginning in October, I cut out gluten, meat, and poultry, and my digestion is working much better. There are still foods that make me bloated and uncomfortable (lately I’ve found that my body has a hard time with raw vegetables), but I’m learning, one day at a time. I agree that what’s most important to learn is that there is no ONE diet that works for everyone. You have to listen to and respect your own body!

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 12:53 pm

Brooke yes! agree, it is so important to respect our own bodies and eat what is right it. Glad you are finding what things work for you.

Kyra February 13, 2013 - 12:38 pm

Great post! For me, it’s hard to tell what’s worked better. Bathroom has been better as a raw vegan, and many of my labs got better too. But, emotionally, i feel like a nutcase. And I’ve put on fat bc I’m always hungry. It has made my adrenal fatigue worse and my food sensitivites worse too.

Paleo enabled me to look more cut, but my energy was bad. However, i felt more calm and could sleep better. Digestion was bad though.

Idk… Its a toss up. One diet helped with some things and the other helped with others. Neither was a panacea, which is frustrating. Now, my body is so screwed up that I only have a couple foods I can sort of tolerate. Sucks

How is the nooch sitting with u? That’s awesome if u can add it in without any issues!

When u add extra meat or fish to ur egg meals, how much do u use? Do u find that eating two typesof pro in oone meal is ok?

I hear ya on the dark green juices not tasting too good. I’m curious to see ur ideas on this. Maybe u can add some Stevia? Inositol is another thing u can add. It is great for skin, hair, nails, anxiety, and fat metabolism. It tastes sweet. It is a bit vitamin that u can get at the store in powder form. I’ve been mixing it in my juice and it takes the edge off (and is a great vit to have)

Lastly, what did ur avo/cuke/chia pudding taste like? It’s an interesting combo

Thanks for the great posts!

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 12:57 pm

Kyra sorry that you are still having issues, but just keep taking one day at time. It does suck that each way of eating helps one thing and not others. Just keep finding your balance. The avocado puddings just tasted like avocado 😉 haha in the past we would add stevia or banana, or even cocoa, but again trying to keep things simple at the moment. When we add meat to breakfast it is around 2 oz and nothing something we plan to do often, just when we feel like it

Morgan Farrahar February 13, 2013 - 12:45 pm

I just love ya’lls website. I discovered it a few days ago and have gone back to read about your gut healing journey. My husband was put on a gut healing diet to help manage his lupus and RA. The diet has actually caused his eczema to worsen (though his symptoms are under control and his energy is better). The doctor said that this is normal because as your body heals it flushes out toxins and unwanted bacteria, and the skin is a major output for this. She said it will take some time before his skin clears up. I just wanted to let you know because this may be part of the reason the acne on your back is still flaring up. You girls are great! Thank you for all of your insight.

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 12:58 pm

Morgan good point! That is something we keep telling ourselves. Thank you for your support and best of luck to your husband.

Meg February 13, 2013 - 12:58 pm

I’ve experimented with both as well. Personally, a paleo diet with lots of lightly cooked veggies works best for me. I try to avoid salads (although I love them) because they are hard to digest. I eat naturally sourced meats like chicken (breasts, drumsticks and thighs), grassfed lean beef, bison, duck and the occasional bit of pork and turkey. I also focus my veggies around loads of greens, kale, broccoli, spinach, zucchini ect avoiding tomatoes, peppers and fruits because they are hard for me to digest. If I indulge, it’s in So delicious coconut milk ice cream products 🙂 The agave does react with me, making me hyper but sometimes you just gotta do it!
Keep going on your journey ladies! I’ve been inspired and loved watching the progress.

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 3:14 pm

Meg sounds like you are doing great, we are happy for you 😉

Jennifer Houser February 13, 2013 - 1:02 pm

While reading this blog I felt like I was reading my life in a nutshell! Your stories are similar to my diet changes, bowel movements and gut issues. After I lost 32 pounds with diet and the elliptical, I still felt bloated, did not have regular bowel movements and would fight my skin daily. One day while watching Oprah I saw Michael Pollen and Alicia Silverstone tell their story. I immediately bought both of their books and they changed my family’s life! I decided to go Superhero! Strict plant based vegan, borderline macro-biotic diet. Within one month, I lost my last five pounds, my bowel movements were better then ever before, and my skin is still glowing! My vegan diet, consists of very limited processed foods, (I eat tofu!) no white foods, and only water all of the time. Now I am learning about GMO’s and dipping into the raw foods since having found your blog! Even though I do not eat meat, or eggs, I still find your blog so helpful! Please keep the raw and vegan treats coming! Please keep the exercise motivation coming! I love hearing your fitness stories!

I hope that your journey finds balance as mine did 3 years ago!

Alicia’s book is the Kind Diet, she also has her blog/website, The Kind Life.

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 3:17 pm

Jennifer thank you so much for your comment!!! This just brought joy to us, glad our blog still helps you out even though currently we eat differently. But as we have said before we still love raw vegan foods just trying to find our balance. xoxo

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast February 13, 2013 - 1:24 pm

I think you’re absolutely right that everyone is different. Have you studied Aryuveda theories at all? I listened to the most fascinating lecture yesterday based on their understanding of spring, summer and winter, and our unique body types. He emphasized that our diet should be changing with the seasons because of the more unique digestion happening in various stages of the year… for example, more animal protein and fats in winter (paleo), lots of sprouts and fruits and veggies in the spring (raw/possibly vegan) and how it ties into the cycles our body goes through. So interesting and I thought it made a lot of sense.

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 3:18 pm

Laura oh yes we know all about Aryuveda, thank you for sharing! Always nice to be reminder of things. And we feel this is where we are heading with our eats, more around the seasons.

Cammie February 13, 2013 - 1:50 pm

I’ve had success making the crust less delicate by straining the excess water out of the cauliflower with a nut bag after you steam it! Helps it stay together better and allows you to pick it up more like pizza! Hope this helps:)

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 3:19 pm

Cammie thanks for the time but my cauliflower was raw from the start 😉

Chris February 13, 2013 - 2:23 pm

I definitely have better blood sugar regulation and energy eating more paleo style. I do not do well with grains, beans/legumes (this led me to know why I could not tolerate peanuts), dairy, soy, and fructose. Just a few…LOL. It is a learning journey and sometimes I just cannot understand why some days are better than others. Too many vegetables/improper combining, who knows. I think sometime we just have off days.
I think it is important to incorporate raw items INTO the diet, but not make it everything. Doing so was not beneficila at all.

Why do you not have green smoothies? Is it because of the sugar from fruit? I can only have very low sugar fruite such as berries and goji berries. Even without these, I make tasty green smoothies using spices like cinnamon, stevia, and Medicine Flower flavorings, & essential oils.

I totally was going home to make what I think is in your recipe to come photo: chocolate (or carob) covered marshmallows!!!! The marshmallows have really been TUMMY FRIENDLY! I love them!!!

Any ideas on how to make gelatin pudding without eggs? I am attempting.

Keep up the community love and inspiration.

I am inspired by Pope Benedict XVI’s words “we find healing in suffering as we unite to Christ.”

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 3:22 pm

Chris you are right we just have off days! And yes we took a break from smoothies due to fruit. Thank you as always for your support.

Healthyleanfit February 13, 2013 - 4:48 pm

I am in total agreement!!!! It may be that you identify with one style more than another because it is what feels best to you! What makes you feel best?? That is the question you always have to ask!! It isn’t always easy to determine this because of delayed food sensitivities, etc. but taking the time to learn about your body is soooo important! Particularly when you have “impaired” digestion!

Jessica February 13, 2013 - 6:35 pm

Lori- this may sound super simple, but I had the most success with my back when I made sure to shower IMMEDIATELY after working out. Also used some neem oil/avocado oil mix while my skin was still wet. Hope that helps!

-Jess

purelytwins February 13, 2013 - 7:50 pm

amanda j February 13, 2013 - 10:23 pm

I hope to have abs like the two of you! so strong and awesome! What a great post on finding different styles of eating to fit each person – our society loves to find a quick fix for everything, and with digestion (and many other health issues) there is a) no quick fix and b) no one size fits all magic pill. I also really understand the emotional/stress stuff affecting digestion (and overall outlook) – I love that you have each other as support on this journey 🙂

purelytwins February 14, 2013 - 9:13 am

thanks Amanda!!! LOVE YA!! And you will get abs like us, just keep up the great work and you will get there! We are your support team 🙂 xoxo

Kyra February 14, 2013 - 12:50 am

Do u think u might add squash back soon or retry citrus in the near future?

Are u still avoiding added spices and herbs?

purelytwins February 14, 2013 - 9:11 am

Yes we hope to try squashes and sweet potatoes again and yes citrus fruits. we hope our bodies like them, we shall see 😉
We are just avoiding dried herbs and spices, we are now allowing ourselves fresh ginger again, and fresh herbs.

Laura Agar Wilson (@lauraagarwilson) February 14, 2013 - 8:48 am

I just have to say I have been loving your posts even more so recently! I wish that more people could have your approach to how we eat, there seems to be a lot of judgement sometimes but as you say its about being on your own journey and finding what works for you without thinking about labels. I’ve gone from mostly raw vegan to a more paleo style of eating too, and its working for me now but it may not work for me forever, our bodies and our lives change and I think its awesome to have such a flexible attitude to it all!

purelytwins February 14, 2013 - 10:44 am

thank you so much Laura 🙂 love hearing this!!! thanks!!! well said! HUGS

Misa February 14, 2013 - 10:40 am

I was vegan for 2 years, I like it but my fertility did not and also I have missed raw butter raw kefir egg yolk etc.. I have lost my period and other health issue. I have change many mails with Paul Jaminet from Perfect health diet and has help me to find perfect balance for me with egg yolk fish raw sheep dairy products, and safe starches plus fruit. He does not advice vegan protein at all, he explain that it is toxic for body so I stopped to eat it.
Try to put lemo or lime to your juice it is the key to balance greens, and stevia:-)

purelytwins February 14, 2013 - 10:43 am

glad you are finding a diet that works for you Misa 🙂 sounds great!
and yes we usually put some lime or lemon in our juices but we were avoiding citrus foods for the histamine aspect of them to see if they made our legs itch. hopefully we can experiment with bringing them back soon.

Rachel @ painfreekitchen February 14, 2013 - 4:56 pm

Super good timing on this post. So I’ve been eating paleo for about a year and have felt pretty awesome. But recently I found a couple on Instagram, also paleo people, who have recently started a 30 day raw food challenge. They don’t have any rules. Just to eat raw but also to keep it paleo. And honestly, I am completely fascinated by it. I don’t think it’s sustainable at all because i just can’t figure out how they’re getting any protein. But I thought it’s not a bad idea for a week or even just a weekend. Eating tons of veggies, fruits, nuts, healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil. Maybe a raw vegan diet and a paleo diet can overlap, at least for a little while?

Emma February 14, 2013 - 6:00 pm

Hey girls, still enjoying reading about your journey. It’s a little hard for me seeing people moving towards eating animals as I went vegan for ethical reasons. Thankfully a plant-based diet works really well for my body. Of course there are many different ways of eating within this lifestyle. I definitely do best with a combination of cooked and raw foods but just good, clean wholefoods, avoiding sugars and refined products as much as poss. I’ve had digestion issues over the years but find that as long as I’m eating enough and try and stick with a regular bathroom routineI have more success on that front. My skin is pretty good on the whole, less dry when I’m including a bit more fat too.

Kaila February 15, 2013 - 9:31 am

It’s funny..I’ve struggled on both the raw vegan, not-so-raw vegan and Paleo diets…Sadly, I had the best digestion when I was eating “body building” (nothing but protein powders and calorie restriction with a sweet potato thrown in after exercise…I was seriously anorexic, and I don’t suggest that anyone go down that road). When I went vegan, everything went to hell. All that fiber kept me in the bathroom more than I needed to be, and I ended up with the hormone imbalance/acne thing…since going Paleo, I’ve dealt with constipation (total opposite of my vegan experience!), but I think that has to do with the foods I was eating. I think I only use the Paleo label at this point because it’s easier to explain when people ask questions, but really I’m just eating meat and vegetables and fats, with some berries thrown in at night. And I’m figuring out which meats and vegetables and fats work for me, and which don’t. It’s all about finding balance–I’ve been following you guys (okay, lurking, ’cause I suck at commenting) for years and anxiously reading your acne posts for answers–and I have to say, this past series has really helped validate the steps I’ve taken to start working toward my own healing. Anyway, long story short: thanks so much for being so open, and thank you for letting us in on your experiences so that we can learn from them as well 🙂

purelytwins February 15, 2013 - 9:36 am

thank you so much Kaila!!! we are so happy that we are helping you with your journey of healing for acne 🙂
and yes finding what foods works best for digestion takes time, as we are learning what works and what does not. Keep up the great work and you will get there! HUGS

Melissa C February 15, 2013 - 10:11 pm

This post is fantastic! Prior to being diagnosed with Celiacs disease I was trying a vegetarian/vegan diet. Since then, i have transitioned to a “paleo” style diet as the gluten free processed foods make me bloated. I have noticed being on a paleo or grain free diet that I am hungry every 2 hours after eating a huge meal! I am in the middle of reading the Perfect Health Diet and as suggested by the book I am adding small amounts of rice and potatoes back into my diet. My goal is to figure out the diet that works for ME and helps my health to thrive! Thank you ladies so much for being so open about your health journey!

Lauren February 16, 2013 - 1:07 pm

It’s been so great following the both of you through your healing!! You’ve been an inspiration. I’ve found that a mix works for me as well… but unfortunately I just can’t eat seafood, eggs, and most meat and poultry 🙁 I just can’t get past the texture. it’s been a preference since I was a child, and one that I just can’t seem to overcome. So I hide my eggs in coconut flour waffles and keep them really simple 😉 that seems to work and gives me the the protein I need. I’m also struggling with trying to eat less nuts and nut butter… something that I LOVE!!! and coffee of course, that’s always tough. But in all I’m doing better. My digestion has always been an issue, the same as you both so I can definitely relate. Thanks for taking the time to help so many of us who struggle daily for healing!

purelytwins February 16, 2013 - 1:40 pm

thank you Lauren for the continued love and support 🙂 means so much to us to hear from our readers!! oh yes coconut waffles great idea to sneak in those eggs, hehe
and we love our coffee, so difficult to cut back on. luckily we were not too into nut butters so easy for us to not have – but tahini on the other hand, as been really difficult not eating, as we loved it 🙂

Tara March 7, 2013 - 12:23 am

I have had the same diet struggles for years with the same issues. In chinese medicine the liver controls the emotions so eating foods that heat/inflame the liver like eggs, red meat, or coffee can definitely affect your emotional state for the worse. Also too much meat will lower your thyroid function so only small portions will be easy for your body to handle. Broths and soups/seafood are the best for animal protein.

Andrea June 9, 2013 - 1:34 pm

My thoughts on raw vegan foods vs paleo foods for digestion –

I have never been a raw vegan for any significant length of time so I can’t speak to that. However, I have been a mostly (99.9%) raw paleo person for 18 months and I can tell you that in the beginning it was a tough transition to let go of all grain and sugar. I did lots of cleanses to get rid of candida’s tight grip on my gut!
I’ve experimented with my diet my whole life and then I was given Robb Wolf’s Book on Paleo a year and a half ago, then I read Nora’s Primal Body Primal Mind (An Absolute Must Read!). Going all organic, mostly Raw Paleo this past year has definitely and totally changed my health, looks and my life massively for the better!

For the last few months I’ve been heavily into using a plethora of herbs and spices, an abundance of them, in my food and drinks, with emphasis on those that aid digestion. I can now make EPIC raw, fermented and dehydrated paleo cookies, crackers, kale chips and grass-fed beef jerky. I’ve never eaten less, had as little problems with digestion or been healthier or happier!
I believe that the addition of high quality organic herbs and spices was the difference. I feel this is an area where it is critical for me to focus my study now. I don’t shop big stores and don’t like the bulk bins at the health food store – so not sanitary, especially since I eat everything raw! I currently get my organic herbs and spices online at http://maisonterre.net/ in small quantities to keep it affordable and fresh. I think it’s better to do that than have large amounts of herbs and spices deteriorating on my pantry shelf!
So yes, I notice a huge difference; to the tune of 20 lbs, clearer, younger looking skin, far more energy and vitality, higher brain function and far far FAR less PMS symptoms – no more yeast infections, no getting sick for weeks… the list goes on and on! Raw Paleo isn’t for everyone but it definitely works for me.
So bravo for doing your part in sharing Paleo with the world!
=)

Molly January 1, 2014 - 10:55 am

I was vegan for a year but ended up gaining weight, which led me to restriction then binge/purge cycles. I am so happy to find your website. I love seeing all your eats. I think a combo of raw vegan and paleo eats may be the way to go for me. I like the idea of combining the two. The struggle for me will be mentally being ok with eating meat again and listening to my body, which I lost sight of a long time ago. I love gluten-free baking too so keep the recipes coming!! Hugs