steaming up veggies and carrot parsnip fries

purelyfitness-logo

plank

Lori: Since I had some fun at my super bowl party the night before I took it easy for my morning workout yesterday and did just a plain 5 minute plank hold, followed by 2 minute bridge hold. Simple and effective!

plank

Michelle: I was on the same page as Lori 😉 Hey, we are twins. I stayed up late watching a movie (yes I confess I did not watch the whole Superbowl) and just felt like I needed more sleep. I eventually rolled out of bed around 7am and held plank for 5 minutes.

cuteline3-01

eats-logo

Lori recap:

Took my morning pills and fermented cod liver oil.

carrot-kale-juicing

A fresh juice was definitely on my mind after doing my plank.

red-carrot-kale-juice

Juice made about 14-15oz . Juice was 2 celery sticks, a bunch of kale, half cucumber, 2 large carrots and one beet.  I stirred in coconut oil which gets a little clumpy as the juice is cold, but I still enjoy it.

egg-ghee-breadsticksShortly after my juice it was time for my next meal.

I enjoyed 2 whole eggs (with one raw egg yolk), handful of kale cooked in ghee, 2 broccoli breadsticks,  and all topped with coconut oil. About all I had left in the house before I headed to the grocery store.

monday-snacks

Snacks of yesterday were marshmallows, bone broth with coconut oil before my lunch, dandy blend tea and perfect fit protein I enjoyed late afternoon.

grass-fed-burger

Enjoyed a late lunch of sautéed power greens with a grass-fed burger topped with coconut oil. I know it does not look like much but it really satisfies me. I love having dark leafy greens with a protein source.  This meal (mainly the burger and fats) keeps me full for a few hours.  I remembered to take my digestive enzyme before eating this lunch.

steaming-veggies

Before I made dinner I started to prep some veggies for me to enjoy the next few days. Love my steamer. I steamed up some carrots and turnips, along with some brussel sprouts. I usually do most of my veggies steamed but every once in awhile I will roast them.

salmon-turnips-brussles

Dinner was some baked salmon, with steamed turnips and petitie brussel sprouts, sautéed lamb’s lettuce, topped with black sea salt and olive oil.  Before dinner I did take my pre-dinner pills and had 1 tbsp gelatin with water.

My day thoughts: I got about 9 cups water (not including juice) which is about what I am trying to get. Majority of the day I felt great till after dinner. I felt extremely full after this dinner. I did have a good morning bowel movement and no extra gas throughout the day. I still am feeling strong physically and mentally. I tried having perfect fit protein plain again as a mid-afternoon snack to see how my body did, and I think I felt fine. I did not notice anything major after eating it. So I plan to enjoy it in my diet and of course if I notice anything I will re-evaluate. As I would do that with anything new or even maybe things I already ate in my diet . Being more self-aware is a personal goal of mine that I plan to continue but still enjoy life 😉

I feel after these 30 days I learned a lot about myself and what I can do. My will power in a way. I still have a lot to learn about foods and how they react with my body. But after doing those 30 days of really watching what I ate I feel more confident now that I will figure it out.

Michelle Monday eats:

Started my morning with taking my morning supplements (fish oil, probiotic, l-glutamine and marshmallows)

juice

First meal of the day was a vegetable juice with some coconut oil. As much as I love juices, they are starting to get really boring to me. Not sure what else to juice since I am still trying to avoid certain foods for a little bit longer.

breakfast eggs

Next meal (breakfast) was eggs, greens, turmeric, ghee and broccoli breadsticks.

bone broth

Cup of bone broth with sea salt and coconut oil.

lunch

Lunch was more broccoli breadsticks, mixed greens and buffalo burger all topped with lots of coconut oil.

perfect fit

Afternoon snack was Perfect Fit protein mixed with water. Day 2 experiment.

tea and joy bug

Enjoyed a lovely cup of peppermint tea with the perfect date!

carrot parsnip fries

Made some parsnips and carrot fries to go with dinner!! LOVE these things!

cod parsnip carrot fries dinner

Dinner was baked talapia with cooked kale and parsnip and carrot fries and topped my dinner plate off with olive oil and coconut oil.

And enjoyed this for dessert.

Michelle’s recap – Did good on water. Felt pretty good all day. My appetite was a little off yesterday, not sure why. I did have a bowel movement in the morning!  I look forward to my gut healing (gaining stronger digestion) each day so I can start to eat more variety again! Finding balance sure is hard when you know your body does not like something, yet you love all foods.

Twins Question: For those of you who have been on a healing journey (whatever it may have been) how did you deal with lack of variety in your diet? How did your body deal with other foods once you brought them back in?  Who else loves to steam up their veggies? Any other carrot or parsnip fries fans out there?

cuteline3-01

superfood-chocolate-brownies

Make sure you head over to Powercakes to get our vegan grain free and gluten free superfood brownie recipe!

Til next time,

be back with our pink marshmallow recipe!

purelytwins

Kyra February 5, 2013 - 10:49 am

I’ve never tried veggie fries before…. Are they crispy? I really can’t wait to try the broc bread sticks 🙂

Awesome that the pro powder is working! I used to make what I call protein pudding, which is the same as what u do, but I also add 1-2 tbs of cashew or almond butter. Coconut butter is even tastier! Can u guys doccoconut butter.?

Michelle, I feel ya on how juices can get boring. Can u try using spinach? That’s my favorite green to juice… It tastes buttery

How much sea salt Do u add to the broth?

Ur eats look so amazing. Believe it or not, u gals are actually able to eat a fair variety of foods…. And hopefully, it will expand as time goes on. It the fact that u can tolerate the meats, fish, eggs, veggies, and fats is huge!!!! I’m jealous cuz I can’t tolerate anything lol. Ugh.

Did u hold the plank for 5min? How does that not totally hurt ur shoulders? That where I feel the planks- not in my abs, but my shoulders. 🙁

I bought a new juicer yesterday and will start to get my juice on soon!

Hugs

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 10:55 am

Sometimes I can get the veggie fries crispy and other times not so much.
We still need to play around with coconut butter to see if our bodies can handle it. We have not been eating much of it lately, as we thought we might have issue with it (in terms of making us break out), but we hope to test it out here soon to see how we do!
We just do a small pinch of sea salt in the broth.
Oh your body will get there, you will soon be able to tolerate more foods!! Hang in there!
We feel our planks in the shoulders as well, definitely a full body workout 😉
yay for new juicer!!!!!

Kyra February 5, 2013 - 10:50 am

One last question. How do u reheat ur pre-made food…. Do u use a microwave? Resteam it? Skillet?

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 10:52 am

Kyra, a combo of that all. All depends on how much time we have.

Kyra February 5, 2013 - 11:13 am

Are u still doing the pulp crackers? Can u post the link for the recipe?

Can pulp be used to make bread sticks?

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 1:54 pm

Lori is enjoying a few pulp crackers made with chia seeds, Michelle is not. here is the link to recipe http://purelytwins.com/2012/03/05/how-make-pulp-breadcrackers-raw-baked/

Gillian February 5, 2013 - 11:14 am

I need a good steamer, what a great way to prep veggies! Meals looking great ladies, glad everything is going well for you both! x

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 1:55 pm

thanks Gillian! Love how steaming makes cooking veggies so easy and quick.

Kyra February 5, 2013 - 11:20 am

One last question before I start to not only annoy u, but also annoy myself haha:

For what reason Did u cut out tofu? It is fodmaps-free, as is tempeh.

Thanks, luvs!

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 1:55 pm

No worries Kyra, we love the questions as we are here to help in any way we can. We never were big fans of tofu, so we just don’t eat it. If you like it that is fine, we just don’t, it is a flavor and texture thing 😉

Kyra February 5, 2013 - 2:04 pm

I guess I worry about the controversy over soy… Some say it’s really bad and others say it’s really beneficial. What do u guys think about it (gi health, hormones. Etc)? I know paleo doesn’t support tofu usage.

I usually blendit into sauces to thicken it up . It gives things a silky texture and is really good with nutritinal yeast and some veggies blend together, especially tomatoes

Also. Any reason that Michelle isn’t doing g pulp crackers? Do they bother her stomach?

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 3:09 pm

Kyra to be honest we avoid soy products if we can due from issues with hormones, since we suffer from hormonal issues we do our best to avoid. We know there are so many different good and bad things about soy, we feel it comes down to personal preference and health.
Michelle is avoiding the pulp crackers at the moment because trying not to get too much fiber, but for me (lori) i feel it helps with making me ‘go’ to the bathroom. I try not to over do eating them though just in case my body is sensitive to the fiber in them, but I love them so much so that is hard 😉

jodye @ chocolate and chou flour February 5, 2013 - 11:37 am

I love root veggie fries in all of their forms. I’ve never done parsnips, but I’ll have to pick some up on my shopping trip today! Your brownies look amazing, too. We must have been sharing brain waves because I posted a chia brownie bite recipe today!

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 1:56 pm

haha awesome yay for chia brownie love 😉

Ragnhild February 5, 2013 - 4:01 pm

Im so happy you will keep doing food logs, at least from time to time.
And even though I dont eat any animal products, I still think your eats looks really delicious. Except your eggs 😉 Ive really really never liked them. but everything else; yum!

amanda j February 6, 2013 - 12:47 am

all of your eats look delish! I’ve been meaning to ask about the dandy tea as I am a HUGE herbal tea drinker (afternoons/evenings AFTER my morning coffee of course :). I’ve seen some herbal “coffees” in the store (like whole foods), but it seems they’d contain gluten from the barley and rye. Is dandy tea gf, and where do you buy it AND what exactly does it taste like? I drink lots of rooibus and peppermint but it’d be nice to have more variety.

purelytwins February 6, 2013 - 10:01 am

Yes Dandy tea is gluten free, we buy it off online. SOme health food stores sell it but I have not seen it yet at Whole Foods. It kinda taste like coffee in a very unique way.