interval run, kombucha drink, and protein powder

purelyfitness-logo

Lori: On Sunday, Gary and I went for a 10 minute interval run. Also did  5 minute plank as a warm-up. Did interval 30 second and 30 second sprint for 30 and jog for 30.

workout

Came back to do some extra leg stuff. And Jax wanted to join in!

run workout
Michelle: It was a beautiful day out yesterday so I knew I had to get outside. Like Lori I did 5 minute plankworkout as warmup and them did 10 minute interval sprints/jog routine – used Gymboss Interval Timer – 10 rounds of 30/30 second intervals. Walked/jogged for 30 then sprinted 30 second, and repeated for 10 rounds. Ended my workout with a mini arm routine that Lori created for me. I am trying to work my arms more to help get them more toned! Lots of push-ups 😉  I felt amazing before this workout and even better afterwards. I was surprised I had so much energy, but I think my body is learning to use fat as fuel.

eats-logo

Lori’s day:

Sunday was a donut kind of morning in our household. Before donut making happened I did take my usual morning supplements.

garys-donuts

Made Gary our mini coconut flour cardamom donuts.

my-donts

I made myself a donut I could enjoy (again since I am avoiding many foods still). These were just like our grain free carob waffles and coconut waffles ideas. I just did eggs, coconut flour and mesquite with some coconut oil on top. Enjoyed my unique donuts with some black coffee.

garyandi

Little bit later went for a run.  Came back and enjoyed some perfect fit brown rice protein (like we mentioned already wanting to experiment with having that again).

perfect-fit-protein

Just had one scoop of the protein powder mixed with some water and added some l-glutamine.

Felt fine after eating it. No gas or bloating, or anything else. Felt good. So hopefully that means I can enjoy it again as I really like it.

shrimp

About 20 minutes after protein mush I made myself some shrimp and cauliflower topped with dulse flakes and coconut oil.

making-food-party

Made some food for our super bowl party that evening with friends. Made gluten-free chocolate chip cookies from our purely classic cookbook (have you gotten your copy yet?)  and made our broccoli breadsticks.

gelatin-water

Before heading over to our friends house. I took my usual dinner pills and gelatin in water.

burger-grass-fed

Before heading out I enjoyed one grass-fed burger (from US Wellness Meats) and sauteed kale with coconut oil on top. Soooo good. I also took my typical pre-dinner supplements that I took during the 30 days. I plan to continue taking them as I feel they are really helping.

me-drink

Enjoyed some kombucha mixed with tequila as my drink for the night.

asuper-bowl-party

Very nice food and dessert spread at the party.  I just ate some broccoli breadsticks and drank my drink 🙂

chia-carob

I came home and enjoyed a carob chia seed coconut oil mush. I did 2 tbsp carob, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp gelatin, 1 tbsp coconut oil and some water and stevia. Weird but good!

Quick recap: My day yesterday was a success in the bowel movement department. I felt great all day long. I had no bloating or any discomfort. My skin (face) is looking better each day, just about blemish free. And my back is very slowly getting better, but I know it will heal as I continue to take care of it through tea tree pads, jojoba oil and of course diet.

Michelle Sunday Eats:

breakfast

After sleeping in and enjoying a slow relaxing morning, I made my mom and me a wonderful warm breakfast – coffee, eggs (cooked in bacon fat) and bacon!

Perfect! I enjoyed my morning chat with my mom 🙂

I did computer work all morning and then around noon I felt ready to workout!

perfect fit protein tone it up

Post workout was an old favorite – Perfect fit mush!!! Just 1 scoop perfect fit with a little water to create a mush. I did add some l-glutamine too.

Love, love, love this protein powder. My body seemed fine with it too!  Felt great after eating it.

lunch

Lunch was grilled cod with brussel sprouts and lots of coconut oil and some dulse flakes!

broccoli breadsticks

I made some broccoli breadsticks to enjoy…yummy!

dinner

Dinner was more broccoli breadsticks, cooked kale and fennel with buffalo burger topped with ghee. I too enjoyed a kombucha margarita (or two).

And my dessert was carob chia cake, I just did gelatin instead of coconut flour and topped my dessert with coconut oil.  Perfect way to end my day.

Michelle – recap of my day:

I did start my day with morning supplements and marshmallows, and before dinner I took my supplements. I took two doses of Calm, one tsp in morning and 1 tsp before dinner.

My energy was great all day. And for bathroom success  – well I had little movements all day long!! This is huge for me. Even though each time it was very small, but the idea that my body had urges throughout the day is a big step forward for me.

Glad everyone is enjoying our updated plan for healing our gut. We still will share our eats and document our journey just might not be every day. We are not really sure how to play it out here on the blog. As we know these past 30 days our blog post might have seemed boring or very routine like, but there was no other way around that. We are excited to get back into recipe development and keep experimenting with our diet.

Thanks again for letting us share our 30 day journey.

What does our future hold? Well, we will find out one day at a time. 🙂

Happy Monday friends!

Anyone else enjoy watching the Super Bowl and Beyonce half-time show?

Till next time,
purelytwins

Chris February 4, 2013 - 3:33 pm

Youupdates have not been boring, but supportive. Thanks for your honesty and sharing. It is great to have a connected community to learn and experience. We grow together!
Update on the broccoli breadsticks: they work with chia egg (vegan!). Thanks! I baked them a little longer though, as chia egg usually seems to require this. What is the texture of yours though? Mine came out soft. Did you leave yours crispy? I definitely see this as being a wonderful pizza crust!

Also, can you share how you made the carob chia cake? Did you mix carob and gelating? Water?

Last, what is the purpose of l-glutamine? Digestive, immune, muscle? It helps with so many things? What is your purpose of using it?

purelytwins February 4, 2013 - 4:32 pm

thanks Chris for the support!! And yay for broccoli chia breadsticks working. the texture of the ones we made with the egg were soft too. they are not crispy breadsticks 😉
For the carob chia cake – for michelle she tried using the gelatin instead of coconut flour from our orginial recipe and cooked it, but did not come out, guess the gelatin does not react the same as coconut flour. So I (lori) just stirred the ingredients together to make a sludge, did not try baking it since Michelle’s version did not come out.
Our main purpose of having l-glutamine is for rebuilding our stomach lining and digestive help.

Kyra February 4, 2013 - 6:04 pm

Awwww.. I’m really going to miss ur daily eats and updates. It really helped me to read ur positivity each day, even if ur day didn’t go as planned. 🙁 any reason why? I hope it’snnot bc of my questions and that I didn’t bug u too much

Are u still planning on writing the blog about ur shopping list and where u get ur foods?

Please keep updating. It was like a virtual support group for me lol

Ps, can u tell me the recipe for the red colored marshmallows?

purelytwins February 4, 2013 - 8:31 pm

oh no Kyra, we still plan on sharing our daily eats and updates as best as we can. And we love the questions 🙂
Yes we are working on those posts about things we buy and where we buy them.
the recipe for the red colored marshmallows should be up sometime tomorrow. sorry for the delay!

Thomi February 4, 2013 - 8:04 pm

How is the kombucha and tequila cocktail??!! I’ve never even thought to try that. And which flavor of kombucha did you use?

purelytwins February 4, 2013 - 8:36 pm

Oh yes, we love mixing kombucha with anything really does great with wine, tequila, and vodka. we like the original, lemon or ginger when we mix drinks

amanda j February 4, 2013 - 10:00 pm

your interval run workout sounds great!!! I’ve been a runner for years, and since tending to knee injuries, I’m looking for ways to keep running in my life but without putting crazy stress on my body/joints. Definitely going to try the interval route – thanks for the new fitness ideas! glad you both had great weekends and I’m totally loving your new recipe ideas (I, too, LOVE spending time in the kitchen – it’s my “me” place). xoxo

Meghana February 5, 2013 - 12:29 am

Hello there,
I’m a new follower of the blog and I find it really informative, so thank you!

I was wondering about coconut oil. I see you eat a lot within a day.

I would like to do the same, i.e. cook with it, put it in my oatmeal, and eating it with rice/quinoa, but I don’t know how much is too much.

I’d really appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you!
Meghana

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 8:26 am

Thanks Meghana. Glad you are enjoying coconut oil as well, we are really sure if we can really say what is too much. It really depends on the individual. We usually get anywhere from 3-4 tbsp a day of it. It all varies but just incorporate where you can 🙂

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 5, 2013 - 8:25 am

Love the smiles on your faces! Sounds like things are moving in the right direction with your digestive systems. Hopefully you’re both on the road to recovery.

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 8:30 am

thanks Sarena, we hope so!

Ozlem February 5, 2013 - 9:49 am

Hi guys- how do you make that protein mush? How much water to how much protein powder do you think?? Thanks!

purelytwins February 5, 2013 - 10:53 am

We don’t really measure how much water we put in our scoop of protein, we just slowly add it in till we get a nice thick consistency. Sometimes we pour too much water in and it is more watery, as we usually like it really thick.

carrie February 5, 2013 - 9:47 pm

Had some protein mush this morning (yes thanks to you! but i use sun warrior vanilla warrior blend). so yummy. and i tried the broccoli breadsticks in the dehydrator. it worked but i like the oven result better. and ps: your posts are never boring! they are so chock full of information and recipes and workouts…amazing stuff!

purelytwins February 6, 2013 - 10:03 am

aww thanks Carrie!!! love ya!!! and glad to hear the breadsticks worked in the dehydrator, great idea – similar to our veggie pulp crackers in a way almost 😉

Chris February 7, 2013 - 1:58 pm

I made stevia marshmallows last night. Looking forward to ur official recipe though! I felt like a kid in a candy shoppe…it was awesome to see the mix turn into marshmallow fluffiness! Got it all over the kitchen because I did not use a big enough bowl 🙂