easy homemade marshmallow recipes Day 25

Remember this is our plan to heal our gut. Consult your doctor before beginning any program. Adjust to your own body and needs. We have done our own research and have come to these steps to help us in our journey to heal our stomach issues. Please do your own research before starting anything new. We are not really sure how long we plan to do this program. And over time we might be changing things depending on how our bodies are doing. We plan to share just about everything as we heal, so we apologize now if some things are TMI. We want to be honest as we are using our blog as our journal.

purelyworkout-logo

mon workout

Tone It Up HIIT workout from Beach Babe DVD.

Michelle – I added the some interval run like Lori did since I did not get a workout in yesterday.

monday-workout

eats-logo

As you can see this past few days Lori and I have been experimenting with making homemade marshmallows. Today we are going to share what we have tried so far, but still plan on “perfecting” them 😉

How to make low sugar coffee marshmallows

carob coffee marshmallows

We use Great Lakes Gelatin in the red can. You can buy it off Amazon.

low sugar coffee marshmallows with carob

How to make low sugar coffee marshmallows.

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: serves 1-2 1x
Scale

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups coffee
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp carob or raw cacao
  • 4 tbsp gelatin

Instructions

1. In a bowl place gelatin with 1/2 cup coffee.
  2. Let sit while you heat up the rest of the coffee with maple syrup.
  3. Once heated (about 1 minute) add to bowl with gelatin.
  4. Beat together and then add in carob.
  5. Beat for about 10 minutes.
  6. Either pour into a lined baking dish or use silicone cups.

Texture of these are unique, not quite gummy like a marshmallow. But still good.

Now for the ones you saw us enjoy the other day

How to make low sugar peppermint marshmallows with probiotic

peppermint marshmallow

A fun gut-friendly treat with a boost of good bacteria.

Peppermint marshmallows with probiotic (low sugar)

How to make low sugar peppermint marshmallows with probiotic. A gut friendly great.

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Total Time: 10 minutes
  • Yield: serves 1 - 2 1x
Scale

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 3 tbsp gelatin
  • 1/2 tsp stevia
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 4 capsules of probiotic
  • 1 tsp peppermint (can do 3/4 tsp for less intense flavor)

Instructions

1. In a bowl place gelatin with 1/2 cup water.
  2. Let sit while you heat up the rest of the water with maple syrup.
  3. Once heated add to bowl with gelatin.
  4. Beat together and then add in stevia, peppermint, and probiotics.
  5. Beat for about 10 minutes.
  6. Either pour into a lined baking dish or use silicone cups.
  7. *can use vanilla instead of peppermint

Both are good recipes, but we plan to play around with the ratios more. We even have a make a sugar-free marshmallow recipe! And the gelatin we use is this one from Great Lakes (no affiliation)

Michelle day 25 recap:

I took my morning probiotic, 1/2 tsp fermented cod liver oil/butter blend, l-glutamine and enjoyed 2 coffee carob marshmallows.

breakfast

Breakfast – 2 whole eggs with cooked arugula, mixed lettuce, lots of turmeric and 1 tbsp coconut oil.

bone broth

lunch

Lunch – Enjoyed 1 cup of bone broth before eating lunch. I must admit I did not really enjoy the broth. I know a lot of people said I would, but hopefully I will learn to love it. And,yes, I know I can add veggies to help with flavor, but trying to keep it simple for now. The rest of my lunch was 3.5 oz grass-fed beef with cooked cabbage and zucchini (with turmeric hence the yellow color) with 1 tbsp coconut oil.

carob coffee marshmallow snack

Snacked on a carob coffee marshmallow.

juice ingredients

beet juice

Finished the rest of my mason jar of bone broth followed by a vegetable juice. I must admit juices are a little boring without some fruit.  I juiced up celery, carrots, fennel, kale, romaine, cucumber and a beet.

I did take my pre-dinner pills.

dinner

Dinner – leftover fish (about 5.5 oz) and cooked swiss chard (cooked in a little coconut oil) and 1 cup brussel sprouts. Drizzled my dinner with 1 tbsp olive oil.

I took a probiotic and magnesium pills before bed.

Bathroom: little success

Energy: good

Gas: none

Skin: doing good

Water intake –about 8 cups (does not include juice)

Lori day 25 recap:

I took my morning probiotic, 1 tsp fish oil, l-glutamine and enjoyed 2 coffee carob marshmallows.

carob-coffee-marshmallow

Taste is pretty good, just about satisfied with getting the hang of making marshmallows with gelatin.

eggs-spinach

First meal was about 1 1/4 cup of sauteed spinach (previously frozen), with 2 whole eggs (left both yolks raw) and 1 tbsp coconut oil and turmeric.

burger-meal

Next I enjoyed a cup of warm bone broth followed by one grass-fed burger with 1/2 cup sauteed green cabbage and 1 cup shredded brussel sprouts with 1 tbsp coconut oil. Like Michelle, I found the bone broth to be a little boring. We both look forward in adding in veggies soon, but for now we are just enjoying the healing properties from the bone broth.

I did enjoy another cup of bone broth a bit later before juicing.

carrots-fennel-romaine

My juice ingredients – carrots, celery, parsley, red kale, fennel,  cucumber and romaine.

juice2

Juice had a strong carrot flavor and green…sure miss my citrus and fruits. But I still enjoyed this juice very much because I do love carrots and cucumber.

stevia-marshmallow

Tried making more marshmallows – a sugar-free version.

tuna-veggies

Dinner was tuna with sauteed greens, roasted parsnips fries, a few brussel sprouts and some steamed sliced turnips. Topped with olive oil and a little sea salt. Delicious. I felt like a little bit of everything…I enjoyed my plate of variety 😉

eating-marshmallow

Ate a marshmallow for dessert.

I took a probiotic and magnesium pills and put magnesium oil on body before bed.

Lori Day 25 recap:

Bathroom: yes

Energy: good

Gas: none

Skin: slowly getting better, the pimples are chin are now white heads and slowly starting to get smaller, my back is slowly calming down- have been washing with a tea tree pad each morning and night

Water intake –about 8 cups (does not include juice)

A great day overall for us. We have been receiving more questions about things we are doing and not doing. We are working on our thoughts to address these questions!  And we appreciate everyone sharing their tips on enjoying bone broth, something that is going to take some getting use to for us.

Twins Question: Ever make homemade marshmallows before?

Chris January 29, 2013 - 10:10 am

Will the marshmallows work if I just use stevia instead of the maple syrup?

Have you ever tried adding marshmallow root to your marshmallows?

Also, did I miss something about why you are replacing some coconut oil with olive oil? It wasn’t addressed much in your recent video. I did not know there is increasing controversy about the coconut oil.

Thanks!

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 1:35 pm

Chris, we as we mentioned we tried a sugar free marshmallow and still working it. You can always try it yourself. No marshmallow root, we do not have it. But guess you could add it. We just wanted variety of oils personally. There will always be studies saying this and that about things. You have to make your choice on things and do what you want to do with “diet”

Chris January 29, 2013 - 1:59 pm

Thanks!
Bariani olive oil is really good, and macadmaia nut oil is another great oil. I, too, lovae variety. Although coconut oil is one of my favorites…just love that oil 🙂 The butter is so good even out of the jar…Dastony is the best I have had.

Kate January 29, 2013 - 10:28 am

Do u leave the marshmallows out or put them in the fridge after mixing the ingredients together? How long does it take for them to set?

I noticed that since cutting out the few pieces of fruit and squash, that ur bathroom success has been less. Do u feel there is a connection?

Lastly, how do u deal with sugar craving ?

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 1:36 pm

Kate let them sit at room temp for a few hours, then you can store in fridge. At the moment we do not see a connection with fruit and bathroom success. Since we are eating more animal protien and fat we do not have sugar cravings as much.

Kate January 29, 2013 - 10:29 am

Oh and where is the new recipe Lori was going to share (it had to do with brocolli)? 🙂

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 1:37 pm

Kate recipe will be up tomorrow, we did not have time to edit the pictures yet.

dana January 29, 2013 - 10:32 am

thanks for all the marshmallow recipes … my gelatin should be arriving today and I am so excited…. I am very curious how to make them with no sugar???? Lori what did you substitute the liquid sugar source for??? sending love and gratitude your way!!! <3

Chris January 29, 2013 - 10:57 am

Did you use liquid stevia or stevia powder?

Also, I noticed you haven’t been having sauerkraut. Is there a reason? FYI: Bubbie’s dill relish has even more probiotics than the sauerkraut!

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 1:39 pm

Chris we always use liquid stevia unless noted 😉 Yes there is a reason for no kraut, just something we are personal experimenting with. We do plan to eat it again.

Chris January 29, 2013 - 2:02 pm

That is what I thought…just making sure.

How many marshmallows will one batch make? Looking forward to getting some gelatin!!!

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 3:33 pm

Well it will vary to be honest all depends how you form them and cut them

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness January 29, 2013 - 11:24 am

Love the homemade marshmallow recipes! I’ve always wondered how to make my own healthy version and now I know 🙂

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 29, 2013 - 11:57 am

I am for some reason terrified of using gelatin. Your marshmallows look so good though! I need to get over it. How did you like the sugar-free?

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 1:40 pm

Laura we were scared of gelatin at first, but now we love it. And our bodies do too. The sugar-free version was good just texture off.

Kate January 29, 2013 - 2:19 pm

Why were u scared of gelatin?

Just pointing this out, so please don’t take offense, but u mentioned cutting out sugars and fruits, yet added sugar to the marshmallows. If anything, keeping the fruits in is more beneficial than syrups bc at least by get fiber and nutrients.

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 3:36 pm

Kate the reason we are not having fruit is because of reasons we have mentioned in the past few posts and our q and a video, and we are working on sugar free option as we know these have sugar 🙂 But maple syrup we personally felt fine with using. You can use honey if you do not like maple.

Jackie January 29, 2013 - 6:17 pm

I love bone broth that is seasoned well. Make sure you are adding enough sea salt!

Sharon January 29, 2013 - 8:47 pm

Did you roast the bones in the oven first? That makes a richer tasting stock that is a darker color. Also, for beef bones, I simmer for at least 48 hours – usually closer to 72 hours. You can also use the stock as a base for soups.

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 10:03 pm

Thanks Sharon, we read about having beef bones go longer, so our second batch here we did longer than the first one. And we have heard about roasting the bones, but have not tried it yet.

Lisa January 29, 2013 - 7:52 pm

The marshmallows looks awesome! I’m definitely going to try them….. I think I’ve now made every possible type of jello and gummy snack out of gelatin and I need a little variety in texture 🙂

Thanks for continuing to share your journey–I feel like I am on much of the same path!

purelytwins January 29, 2013 - 10:02 pm

thanks Lisa. ya we are loving the gelatin and creating different varieties. 🙂

GiGi Eats Celebrities January 29, 2013 - 8:55 pm

WHOA!!! I am amazed at those marshmallows?!?!?!?! Did you have to use maple syrup or can I just simply use stevia??

lindsay January 29, 2013 - 10:39 pm

gelatin and raw egg yolk. It’s on my list! Do you just use the local eggs? I think you told me this before!

purelytwins January 30, 2013 - 8:38 am

Lori – uses eggs from whole foods; Michelle uses – organic eggs from store as she has no access to local eggs at the moment 🙂

London January 30, 2013 - 12:58 am

Hey, I’m so excited you are creating marshmallow recipes. I’m completely off sugar, honey, maple syrup etc… Would appreciate some guidance on a sugar free version as I noticed the ones you made sugar free didn’t quite set?
Best,
London 🙂

purelytwins January 30, 2013 - 8:40 am

ya the ones when we just used stevia, were different. Lori’s seems to hold a little better than Michelle’s and it was the same recipe. So we are going to keep trying.

Meg January 30, 2013 - 7:08 am

My bone broth looks a lot different. It usually gets thick like jelly when cooled in the fridge…full of natural gelatine. I also simmer the broth with some celery, onion, fennel and carrot for flavour in addition to adding a bit of sea salt. Once I re-heat it the broth turns into a liquidy, slightly greasy (..good greasy) cup of delicious. I hope it helps 🙂 It’s not for ever

purelytwins January 30, 2013 - 8:41 am

Ya we realized we should have left ours simmering longer, so our second batch of broth here we simmered for about 48 hours and it seemed to help. 🙂

Miz January 30, 2013 - 8:43 am

HOW COOL ARE THOSE ‘MALLOWS?!
now the query is: do I dare attempt?

Victoria January 30, 2013 - 12:33 pm

What kind of gelatine do you use? Would the regular Knox type work?

purelytwins January 30, 2013 - 2:00 pm

Great Lakes unflavored Gelatin

Jody - Fit at 55 January 30, 2013 - 6:30 pm

This coffee marshmallows look amazing!!!!!!!!

Paula January 31, 2013 - 11:59 am

Bone broth needs to be cooked with a lot of bones(marrow)and for a long period of time, also needs quite a lot of salt to taste good. that makes it rich and tasty. I mix beef marrow bones with chicken necks and other bony part of chicken with meat on, makes a delicious tasting broth. Also I add gelatin to the broth before I drink it. Makes taking gelatin very easy and painless.

Madelyn February 4, 2013 - 7:50 am

Where do you purchase your Gelatin? I work at whole foods and have never seen it there?

Also I have always had bad digestive issues. I’ve been experimenting for a while. Thinking of trying bone broths as I’ve heard great things about the healing properties.

I also have cut out bananas from my diet. They are very ‘wet’ foods. They can cause people a lot of digestive issues such as gas and constipation. I used to eat 2 a day and have really noticed a difference stopping them. But it sounds like you two are feeling a lot better.

Thank you for all your advice.

purelytwins February 4, 2013 - 9:00 am

Thanks Madelyn!! Ya we miss our bananas, hopefully we can get to the point where we can enjoy them from time to time.
and now for the gelatin – we ordered ours off Amazon.

Kyra February 6, 2013 - 9:34 pm

What brand of Stevia do u use and where do u get it?

Have u perfected a sugar free marshmallow recipe yet? 🙂

purelytwins February 7, 2013 - 8:15 am

We like the brand Sweet Leaf, the liquid kind. Yes we think we have, recipe will be up Friday (tomorrow)

Taylor February 7, 2013 - 5:49 pm

So jealous of all of your delicious looking marshmallows! I need to attempt a vegan version 🙂

kristyn March 5, 2013 - 4:54 pm

do you use hot coffee when you mix with gelatin or room temp?

also- do you chill these in the fridge after making, like you do with regular marshmallows, or freeze?

purelytwins March 5, 2013 - 5:14 pm

you need some hot coffee to help break up the gelatin to make the marshmallows, so yes hot coffee would be great.
yes we chill ours in the fridge, never tried freezing them

kelly March 18, 2013 - 5:45 pm

Have u gals mastered a sugar-free marshmallow recipe yet? 🙂

purelytwins March 18, 2013 - 5:51 pm

yes we did
purelytwins.com/2013/02/08/how-make-sugarfree-marshmallows-gelatin/

michelle chow March 21, 2013 - 6:50 am

Hi! Maybe you can try putting milk kefir on your skin as a mask? After a few days, my acne starts improving, the lactic acid helps the skin to peel a little, thus cell regeneration, and the good bacteria in the kefir helps to dominate the bad bacteria on the skin as well. :)!

Health Benefits of Gelatin and a Recipe: Maple Vanilla Marshmallows | Real Food Bryn February 18, 2014 - 8:49 am

[…] moist than normal marshmallows, but they are sweet and squishy and fun to snack on. Inspired by this recipe at Purely Twins, I give […]

Two Gut Health Supplements and Raspberry Probiotic Gelatin - Cotter Crunch June 23, 2014 - 5:40 am

[…] more gelatin recipes? Check out this collection by Paleo Parents and marshmallow gelatin recipe by Purely […]