reading more about digestion

salmon-salad

rawcakesnack

After trying to get a workout in, the rest of the morning was trying to get some work done before our lunch date with the parents.

Both of us ordered, a simple spinach salad with grilled salmon. Upon arriving home, we still felt a little hungry, so raw peppermint cream cake to the rescue!

joy walking jax

gary and jax

jax resting

Later in the afternoon we enjoyed some play time with our niece and Jax.  Always an adventure with all the little ones. Jax ended up getting in some fire ants. He is okay now.  Lots of cuddle time with him.

leftover plate

dessert

jax sleeping on sofa

We enjoyed Christmas leftovers and wine for dinner, and a little bit later had more raw desserts followed by a movie. We watched Snow White and the Huntsman! Michelle’s 2nd time seeing the movie and Lori’s 3rd. A great movie!

Jax was apparently very tired from a long day of playing 🙂

paleo

egg bacon breakfast

This morning we woke up and started reading a new book we got for Christmas.  PLEASE note we are not going Paleo, just going to take some of the concepts and apply them to our life. We have heard a lot of good things about this book mainly for helping with digestive issues!

It has been awhile since we discussed digestion here, as we were trying not to focus too much on that here on purelytwins. But then we realized we want to share our health journey. Everyone deals with their own “health issues” and we are no different. Even though we eat pretty clean we are not perfect. We enjoyed Diane’s guide to poop and healing a leaking gut, and the general discussion on the importance of good digestion.

No matter what you eat having a good digestion is KEY!

We both love reading and learning about new things and then applying what we like into our own lives.  We will share more about this book as we continue to read.

bear and jax

Check out this video from Jill Hanner and FitFluential Eats:

Twins Question: What are your thoughts on good digestion? Do you struggle with stomach issues (bloating, gas, constipation, etc)? Are you still enjoying Christmas dinner leftovers? Have you read the book Practical Paleo?

amanda j December 27, 2012 - 10:46 am

thanks for posting (and sharing!). as always, I love learning more about health, diet, digestion, etc. I’m really excited about making some healthy changes in the new year (like quitting sugar in Jan!!). Happy new year, ladies! xoxo

Heather December 27, 2012 - 11:19 am

I deal with constant digestive issues and have yet to really target what the issues are. I know some are purely functional issues and the rest is dietary. I eat very healthfully, but still the issues persist! I have notice a lot of people reading the Practical Paleo and have been thinking of getting a copy for myself! Would love to hear your thoughts on it!

kim@hungryhealthygirl December 27, 2012 - 12:29 pm

I don’t have any digestions issues and while I guess I should feel very lucky, sometimes it may not be such a great thing because I can literally eat ANYTHING with no problems. 😉 I’ve really been wanting to read the practical paleo book…can’t wait to hear what you guys think about it.

Danica @ It's Progression December 27, 2012 - 1:02 pm

I’d really like to hear what you think of Practical Paleo when you finish it…I’m not Paleo and don’t necessarily plan to become Paleo, but I agree that there would be a lot of good concepts to apply to my life now.

lindsay December 27, 2012 - 1:15 pm

loved seeing you on FF eats! so fun! and about digestion, ugh. I finally am feeling better after 5 years of struggles. I think my key is less stress, real food, and a good probiotic. Learning our own bodies. Vegan, paleo, GF, dairy free. Whatever!!

the delicate place December 27, 2012 - 2:32 pm

digestion is critical! you girls know i eat paleo but i’m actually very plant based paleo (i eat meat but not a ton of eat, usually in 1 of my 3 meals and that’s it!)

i find that in times of stress, i need to cut back on wine, alcohol, mustard, members of the brassica family, spicy foods and coffee. if my stomach is really bothering me, i will take a peppermint oil pill or drink chamomile tea after meals.

Felicia December 27, 2012 - 7:25 pm

LOVE practical paleo!! tell a lot of my patients about it too. recipes are delicious 🙂

Deana December 27, 2012 - 7:45 pm

I really liked the book-great info and recipes. I got it from the library. After being vegetarian 21 years, no red meat for 27 years, gluten-free for 8, vegan for 3 years and raw for 3 months, now it is primal/paleo, and I feel great. (I did just eat some homemade granola that was a holiday gift, and just that small amount of grain set me back.) Being grain free and low carb has been great for me, and I will clean up my diet further in the new year.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 27, 2012 - 10:20 pm

Digestion is always something I am interested in since I deal with it everyday of my life – and not in a good way unfortunately! What do you guys think of the book?

purelytwins December 28, 2012 - 8:39 am

Brittany so far we are loving the book. She does a great job at explaining things. We are eager to start trying some things to see how it helps us.

Liz @ iheartvegtables December 27, 2012 - 10:24 pm

Haha if we’re being honest here, I do struggle with bloating and constipation sometimes (haha this is such an awkward comment) and I Wonder if it’s because sometimes I’m getting too MUCH fiber!

purelytwins December 28, 2012 - 8:40 am

Liz not awkward at all! if you could only hear some of things we talk about here, haha

Lisa December 28, 2012 - 12:18 am

I love the you’re putting more focus into your digestion. I’m curious at to how paleo would help that actually. Obviously with the lack of processed foods, less sugar, and more natural foods but eggs/meats usually have the opposite effect than helping things “move along” if you know what I mean haha. I’m always interested in how different diets work for other people though! It’s amazing that what works for one person, works so differently from another! It would be so awesome if we just all worked the same way and didn’t have to search for our own “perfect lifestyle”. Oh well, I guess it’s fun to experiment anyways. I struggle A BUNCH with stomach issues, but I got 2 allergy tests done and found out I’m allergic to cashews, flax, millet, brown rice, all dairy, goats dairy, eggs, egg whites and duck eggs, so yah, TONS of stuff which sucks but also explains why I was having so many issues! I hope you figure out your digestion issues!xo. Um. Wow, sorry for the super duper long comment.

purelytwins December 28, 2012 - 8:42 am

Lisa so glad you have found what has been giving you problems! Hopefully you start to get relief soon. It is very interesting how things do one thing for one person and yet does the opposite for someone else. In terms of paleo helping, it is other things she discusses about healing you gut not really eating all the meat and all.

Deanna@healthyleanfit December 28, 2012 - 9:06 am

PLEASE share more about your digestion! I think so many many people struggle but don’t talk about it! I talk about it all the time because it is a constant issue. I have made changes appropriate for a candida diet for >6weeks with no improvement and now I am considering the SCD or GAPS diet. I am constantly bloated and look about 4-5 months pregnant, despite the rest of my body being fairly lean and fit. I struggle with constipation or incomplete movements and overall lethargy a lot lately…despite a VERY clean diet! I utilize food combining principals more than 90% of the time as well. Need to make some progress one of these days…. Wild love to hear more about what helps you, what you learn, etc. PLEASE SHARE! It is through sharing that we all help one another which is why I am so thankful for your blog and so many others who share such valuable and personal info! 🙂