Gluten-free chocolate gingerbread quick bread recipe.
Happy Gingerbread National Food Holiday!
Did you know that?
There is no denying how much we love our ginger. And our chocolate. Never enough chocolate nor ginger around here.
Today we are sharing a new recipe in honor of the gingerbread national food holiday.
Gluten free cocoa gingerbread loaf recipe
Or as we like to refer to it…cocoa meets gingerbread.
This recipe makes one dark and divine gingerbread loaf.
We have never really shared a quick bread recipe here on the blog before. Nothing like the present to share one now, right?!?
And being so pleased with this gluten free quick bread recipe, we were anxious to share what we did. This is actually one of the first recipes that once we made it we did not waste anytime to edit the photos and get the post up! haha we need to get better at that
Now after enjoying this gingerbread loaf, we are very eager to create some more flavors! Hope you do not mind as more are on the way…apparently never enough quick bread around here either. As we are rediscovering our hidden love for quick breads (as banana bread was a childhood favorite) . Love that they are quick to make and require no yeast!
What we love about this cocoa gingerbread quick bread is the texture and flavor.
The gingerbread flavor isn’t over powering but just enough to let you know it is there while complimenting the cocoa very nicely – the perfect pairing. The cocoa helps give the bread more depth and provides a richer flavor but keeping a nice balance too. The texture isn’t heavy like a pound cake but is a little denser than a cake. It also slices beautifully, making it a great addition to your holiday table or give as a gift to someone special!
Did you know that quick breads vary widely in the consistency of their dough or batter? For our gingerbread quick bread our batter was a pour batter according to wikipedia. And we made ours oil-free, which was only done my accident.
Seriously each bite was packed with a rich, moist gingerbread punch. Drool!
We like gingerbread, but it’s no chocolate mint flavor combo! Unless, of course, you make chocolate gingerbread than we feel it is a better close battle between which flavor comes out on top!
This cocoa gingerbread is moist and spiced like gingerbread but with a little bite of chocolate from the cocoa powder and chocolate chips sprinkled on top. Love the kick the blackstrap molasses brings to boost the flavor even more! Any other blackstrap molasses fans out there?
A great sweet ginger molasses flavor with a slight chocolately flavor that pairs so perfectly together. Need we say more? Who is ready for a slice?
This quick cocoa gingerbread is becoming our newest addiction.We think a slice (or two or three) is just about the perfect holiday treat. Paired with a big cup of coffee or hot cocoa even better!
The taste of this oh so lovely gingerbread smashes wonderfully with cocoa and ginger-molasses spice. Even non ginger fans approve (aka mom ;))
The texture has the perfect chew-dense-lightness feel to it!
This is a perfect not-too-sweet gingerbread spiced cocoa loaf!
If we say so ourselves.Print
cocoa gingerbread quick bread (gluten-free)
Perfect not-too-sweet gingerbread spiced cocoa loaf. The taste of this oh so lovely gingerbread smashes wonderfully with cocoa and ginger-molasses spice. A simple gluten-free quick bread loaf that is perfect for the FALL and Holiday season.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: makes one loaf 1x
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend (7 3/4oz)click here to get our gluten free grain free blends in our Purely Classic ebook
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (1 oz)
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup black strap molasses (3 1/4oz)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (3oz)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup applesauce or pumpkin puree (4oz)
- 1 egg (or 1 flax gel egg replacement)
- chocolate chips (as many as you want)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a 9-inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients- gluten free flour blend, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, coconut sugar, and all the spices. *for the flour blend – use any gluten free all purpose blend you like.
- Next add in the egg, molasses, applesauce, and whisk well. Add in your hot water at the end and continue to whisk ,until the batter is smooth. Adding in the hot water last helps break up the molasses, making it easier to work with.
- Pour the gingerbread batter into the oiled loaf pan and top with chocolate chips! Bake in the center of the oven for about 40 minutes. Insert a toothpick into center of bread loaf and should emerge clean, well just about almost perfectly clean. Ours had just a little bit of batter on it when pulled out, but we felt it was cooked beautifully. As we did not want to over bake it.
- The top may crack a bit, and that is ok.
- Gently remove loaf from the pan and continue to cool on a wire rack. You may need to use a knife to cut around the edges, but if it was greased right it should pop out easily. But we careful with it as it is slightly delicate when hot.
- Once cooled, slice with a sharp bread knife.
A rich dark gingerbread infused with cocoa.
We have enjoyed some other spicy treats, like….
Spiced ginger macaroons
Do you like spice? Gingerbread?
till next time,