how to make homemade raw tahini

It’s no surprise how much Michelle LOVES her tahini. Don’t get me wrong I love it too. But she eats by the spoonfuls all day long.

It occurred to me that we have never made our own tahini before. Gasp! I know, especially how fast we can go through a store bought jar. And store bought jars can be expensive.

How to make homemade tahini from raw sesame seeds.

Making your own tahini is super easy.

Tahini has a smooth, nutty but mild taste, followed by the fact that it pairs well with pretty much any savory food or even chocolate. For those that may not know, tahini is made from organic raw sesame seeds, or toasted.

Other fun facts:

Sesame seed oil is made of Omega-6 fatty acids so we try not to go too overboard with it as we need to make sure we balance it out with our Omega 3 to help our skin.

Sesame seeds are also a great source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc and dietary fiber, as well as very good source of manganese and copper.

We ended up soaking the sesame seeds to help with digestion.

Why soak the seeds? Good question. Sesame seeds (and many other kinds of seeds) are designed with certain chemicals, such as phytic acid, that pull nutrients from the surrounding environment in order for the plant to grow.  When we ingest these chemicals we risk malabsorption of other important vitamins and minerals.  By soaking the seeds, helps reduce this risk. To soak, simply cover them in water overnight or for a few hours, then you just rise, dehydrate or roast the seeds before using in desired recipes.

Soaking can also help make seeds (and some grains) easier to digest for people with sensitive stomachs and poor digestion like us. Note, we are not the best at soaking. We tend to go through periods of being really good about soaking our nuts, seeds, and grains but then life gets in the way and you run out of time. Though, soaking is really easy to do. We hope to get better at it again.

making homemade tahini via purelytwins

Sesame seeds are quite nutritious! And taste yummy too!

Time to make homemade tahini!

Ready. Let’s go. Promise it is really easy to do!

First you will need sesame seeds. Obviously.

We wanted our tahini raw so we used raw sesame seeds and dehydrated to dry, but feel free to use roasted, as roasted will have a different taste than the raw. We love both flavors.

Here is what our tahini batter was looking like after about 1-2 minutes blending.

We decided to add a little more olive oil and water as we wanted it to be a little smoother.

Takes some time to blend. Be patient. Take breaks if needed.

You could enjoy the tahini really thick like a nut butter.

Or can add in more oil and water if you want it more runny. Note though that over time the oils will come out of the sesame seeds. The texture that we ended up with was between being thick with being a little runny, but more on the thick side.

had a little fun with the editing, trying to learn new things in photoshop

how to make homemade raw tahini
Recipe Type: spread,sauce,dip
Author: purelytwins
how to make a basic raw tahini
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups sesame seeds
  • 1 juice of a lemon
  • about 5 tbsp olive oil (or sesame oil)
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • about 4-6 tbsp water
Instructions
  1. If you desire to soak your sesame seeds, let soak in water for at least 4 hours, than rinse and dry. Can dry with dehydrator or toast in oven.
  2. Once seeds are dry, add sesame seeds to your high power blender like a Vita-mix or can use a food processor.
  3. Add in your sea salt and lemon juice.
  4. And pulse until finely chopped and the oil starts to release. You’ll notice after a minute or two that the consistency is becoming like that of a nut butter.
  5. You can leave thick, or if you want to thin out the mixture, you can add a high-quality unrefined sesame seed oil, olive oil or coconut oil, in small quantities until the desired smoothness is reached.
  6. We used olive oil mixed with a little water to get to our desired smoothness.
  7. Adjust to your liking. Taste your tahini along the way.
Notes

like we mentioned you do not have to soak and dry your sesames seeds, it is personal preference.
also can roasted seeds to dry or dehydrate in a dehydrator.
can also use roasted sesame seeds.

making homemade tahini

Now making your own homemade tahini is a must, especially if you are like us and can’t get enough of it!

We are already dreaming of all the different flavors we can make with it!

Off to go dream of tahini.

Have you ever made your own tahini? Are you a fan of tahini or sesame seeds? What is your favorite why to enjoy sesame seeds?

purelytwins

Felicia October 26, 2012 - 9:42 am

yummm! i love tahini. i want to try it in sweeter meals because i always have it in savory- i feel like that would be really good! cant go wrong with salty/sweet combo. have a good weekend girls!

Danielle October 26, 2012 - 10:13 am

How many cups of tahini does the recipe make? Would you say it is considerably cheaper to make your own? Great idea!

purelytwins October 26, 2012 - 10:54 am

I would say it makes about 1-2 cups tahini (I forgot to measure it when I was done making it), and you are just really paying for sesame seeds (and whatever oil you use), you can buy sesame seeds online in bulk for cheap.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables October 26, 2012 - 12:14 pm

Yum!!! I’ve never even thought about making my own tahini but I’ve been going through tahini like crazy, making a garlicky kale dressing!

I’m totally going to try this!

purelytwins October 26, 2012 - 5:12 pm

awesome Liz!!! yay for tahini love!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 26, 2012 - 12:50 pm

Oh yey! I LOVE tahini– especially as a topping on stir fries and veggies!

purelytwins October 26, 2012 - 5:11 pm

the delicate place October 26, 2012 - 1:05 pm

why did i not think of this?! i always hate that raw nut or seed butters are so $$ so i go for the roasted and then they salt it to death lol! i love spreading tahini over eggs!

purelytwins October 26, 2012 - 5:11 pm

knew you would be a fan 🙂 hugs

Nicole October 26, 2012 - 2:54 pm

Yay! Thanks so much, I have been wanting to do this for a long time. Looks so simple, and I have sesame seeds all the time. I have yet to taste tahini cause I figured it has to be easy to make, why go out and buy it?

Thanks again!

Lisa October 26, 2012 - 3:51 pm

For some reason I am not a sesame seed fan, not sure what it is! Tahini just isn’t my thing. I just made pumpkin seed butter, and holy amazing stuff! I am slightly addicted. I like making it slightly sweet with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.

purelytwins October 26, 2012 - 5:09 pm

that ok Lisa more for us 😉 haha, at first we were not big fans of tahini either, but the more we ate it the more our tastebuds starting loving it

Heather October 26, 2012 - 4:01 pm

Yum! I have never tried tahini, but now that I know how easy it is to make, I will have to give it a shot next week!

Question: is the lemon juice a must? I have to avoid citrus :/

Have a wonderful weekend!

purelytwins October 26, 2012 - 5:08 pm

Heather it is not a must, we just like lemon, so please omit 🙂 and add in any flavoring if you desire.

Kierston October 27, 2012 - 6:58 am

Love this recipe!!! Pinned and tweeted! Excited to make this…thanks! 🙂

purelytwins October 27, 2012 - 9:43 am

Thank you Kierston!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 27, 2012 - 2:27 pm

I never thought you could make a raw tahini. You girls have done it again! 🙂

Heather October 30, 2012 - 2:43 pm

Tried the tahini and it was great! I had never tried tahini before! Thanks for the recipe Michelle and Lori!

purelytwins October 30, 2012 - 3:43 pm

Awesome Heather!! so glad you liked it!!

Nancy October 31, 2012 - 2:40 pm

How long would this last in the fridge? Do you think it would freeze well? :$

purelytwins October 31, 2012 - 5:24 pm

if you freeze in small containers it should be fine. I feel it would last at least a week in fridge maybe longer especially with that lemon juice in there.

Ozzie November 19, 2012 - 8:06 pm

Can you use chia seed oil or hemp seed oil? Cannot wait to try your recipes, I have bookmarked so many do not know where to start.

purelytwins November 19, 2012 - 9:33 pm

thanks! you could try using hemp seed oil might change the flavor some to have a nutty hemp flavor but should still be delicious.

Judi March 12, 2013 - 2:47 pm

Do you have roast/dehydrate the soaked seeds, or can you towel dry them? Thanks!

Alem July 14, 2013 - 11:20 pm

You should blend it longer till it turns too a paste. The oils get released and it turns to a fine paste the longer you process it; it is unnecessary to add oil or water, its optional, though I prefer it plain.

Gl
-DB
In Christ

Jessica September 19, 2013 - 10:12 pm

I don’t usually like tahini. However, I try to incorporate a lot of raw foods in my diet. Many salad dressings call for tahini; they are half decent and I get tired of olive oil and salt and pepper all the time. Being cheap, I decided to make my own tahini and use that to make the next salad dressing. I used the creamy black pepper and sage dressing (http://books.google.com/books?id=um9W224SJIQC&pg=PA116&lpg=PA116&dq=carol+alt+salad+dressing+sage&source=bl&ots=FAEfHOVfsw&sig=Uiu8W2LnvBi0Ny1KAuIjFaEizC8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=y6I7UoXVG4j-4AP114GwBQ&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=carol%20alt%20salad%20dressing%20sage&f=false) in Carol Alt’s book The Raw 50. OMG I almost died it was so good. At this point- I don’t understand why I shouldn’t have this every day.

Thank you!!

Nancy October 31, 2013 - 3:07 pm

Going to be soaking my first batch of sesame seeds tomorrow and dehydrating to make tahini. Thanks the information. I am going to try blending in my food processor rather than the blender, potentially not needing to add other ingredients like the lemon juice, water, or extra oil. Not that I’m against good oils by any means! 🙂 I know that certain types of nut butters, like walnut butter and almond butter turn out much better being blended in a food processor rather than a blender.

HEMP POWER BALLS | Gina Santangelo January 19, 2015 - 2:00 am

[…] 3 tablespoons tahini […]

Bean Bytes #12 January 19, 2015 - 10:37 pm

[…] thought to make this at home Homemade Tahini via Purely […]

Ida February 19, 2015 - 1:38 am

I haven’t got a dehydrator, is it possible to chuck it straight into the blender without drying or roasting? 🙂 Thanks so much!

purelytwins February 19, 2015 - 9:00 am

you can always try that

Sahaj Kaur’s Amazing Selection of Cleanse-Friendly Soups, Salads and Smoothies | September 4, 2015 - 10:28 am

[…] 1 Tbsp. Raw Tahini […]