6 reasons to eat FIGS

We are so happy we have inspired so many of you to try figs!! Thank you for sending your sweet messages.

If you haven’t had the chance to try some figs this season, go now…hurry as FIG season is coming to an end!

We love them. You could say obsessed.

You have seen us travel with them, talk about getting a fig tree, eating them as a protein mush, eating them plain with coffee and much more.

Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy figs:

fig newton bread recipe gluten-free grain-free dairy-free purelytwins.com a healthy bread recipe using figs

Fig newton bread

figs plantains

Fig plantain bread pudding

recipe-fig-lemon-cookies

Lemon fig cookies

goat cheese honey fig pistachio donuts gluten grain soy and egg free

Fig pistachio donuts

fig goat cheese real food sandwich for one purelytwins

Fig goat cheese sandwich

baked no sugar added tahini plantain pancakes with figs

Mini baked tahini pancakes

Do you like figs? How do you enjoy them?

Kelly @foodiefresh September 17, 2012 - 8:37 am

I’ve been loving figs too for the past few weeks and have been blogging several different recipes featuring them. I made fig jam, fig and rosemary chicken pizza, and my very favorite way to eat them — Figs a la Claire…which is figs with goat cheese, jalapeno, honey, and fresh ground pepper.

Felicia September 17, 2012 - 8:39 am

ohh figs how i love you so! enjoyed: plain. stuffed with goat cheese. wrapped in proscuitto. baked in a dessert. the list goes on…

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile September 17, 2012 - 9:10 am

Figs in smoothies are seriously amazing! Love it!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 17, 2012 - 10:02 am

I just tried my first fresh fig a few days ago–due to you! You posted about eating them the other day, so when I saw them at the grocery store, I threw one in my cart. Needless to say, I should have bought more!

Laura Agar Wilson (@keephealthstyle) September 17, 2012 - 10:44 am

Oh I love figs so much! I like them with tahini and either honey or maple syrup. I also love them with goats cheese, I made a socca pizza with figs, goats cheese and basil which was amazing, also in a salad with the goats cheese and some walnuts rolled in honey and sea salt. So good!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 17, 2012 - 12:50 pm

Do you ever watch the reluctantly healthy show? They made a fig smoothie the other day that sounded SO good – this one sounds delicious, too!!

purelytwins September 17, 2012 - 1:05 pm

never heard of that show, we will have to check it out. Figs are so yummy in smoothies 😉

kris September 17, 2012 - 1:36 pm

i lovee figs too! 🙂 my favorite is just to take it from the fridge and eat it cold.

purelytwins September 17, 2012 - 3:41 pm

ours too! we eat them by the handful.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 17, 2012 - 1:44 pm

i have a fig recipe up today too! it’s a fig-edamame kamut salad with lime-sriracha vinaigrette for heather’s (betterwithveggies) meatless monday link up. you guys should join with these deliciousness! i love the socca idea!

purelytwins September 17, 2012 - 3:42 pm

sounds great!! xoxo

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! September 17, 2012 - 3:42 pm

I *LOVE* figs! and I blame (yes, blame – they’re an expensive addiction :-P) you ladies for introducing me to them. They actually featured figs on DailyBuzz Food just this past saturday, I was so happy.

i’m going to keep buying them until they’re done for the season. I’ve been eating them nearly ever day – putting them in smoothies or having a few with my pre-breakfast coffee. Also, I’m probably making that fig and almond butter socca tomorrow. holy yum!

Katie @wishandwhimsy September 17, 2012 - 9:06 pm

Confession: I’ve never had a fig (do fig newtons count? Haven’t had one of those in AGES!) These ARE great reasons for me to try one.

purelytwins September 17, 2012 - 10:33 pm

haha 🙂 trust us the real fig is better 🙂

Irina @ Chocolatea Time September 17, 2012 - 9:51 pm

Ah I’m so glad someone else currently shares my addiction to figs!! Whole Foods was having a sale and I bought 4 crates (which is about 4 crates not enough) 🙂

purelytwins September 17, 2012 - 10:32 pm

we do the same! never enough

Kate @ Kate is eating September 18, 2012 - 12:43 am

That smoothie looks so good! Pinned! Can’t wait to make the fig pistachio cake one of these days. I’ve never tried figs and now I must!

Meg September 19, 2012 - 3:52 pm

Yup, YOU TWO inspired ME to try my first fig 🙂 All I could do was think of you girls while having my fig 🙂 <3 It was lovely. Honestly, I love them plain the best. HOW BORING. But, they are so sweet and lovely by themselves that they really don't need anything else!!!!! BUT, I really did enjoy them on top of my squash pancakes 😉 That was so tasty!

purelytwins September 19, 2012 - 4:17 pm

yahoo!!! so happy you love figs!!!

Jackie @ Identity Undecided September 24, 2012 - 6:20 am

I also have been on a serious fig kick! They are so great!! I enjoy them in oatmeal mostly with cashew cream on top…oh my gosh…so good.

Linz @ Itz Linz September 24, 2012 - 7:34 am

i’ve never had fresh figs (gasp!) – i know, i know! i’ve actually never seen them in the grocery store… maybe i need to look harder? i really do love them and you’ve convinced me to find some soon!!

Yoojin August 31, 2014 - 4:12 pm

jsut got some figs from the market this morning! i must confess.. i’ve NEVER had one before.. so excited to try them!

purelytwins August 31, 2014 - 5:11 pm

wahoo!! you will love them