new gluten free flour we are experimenting with

Hello luvs,

Not sure if you have already heard of this gluten free flour that is becoming more apparent in the gluten free baking world or not?

Well, we finally got around to trying it out. *we bought the flour with our own money off Amazon

What gluten free flour we talking about?

Sweet potato flour!

Yep, you heard us right. Sweet potato flour.

We have been experimenting with some recipes using sweet potato flour to see if we like it or not.

Don’t worry we will share our experiments here soon. We are still in the process of learning how sweet potato reacts in our recipes both vegan and non-vegan.

We have noticed some things about baking with sweet potato flour. Please note we have only used it in baked goods, not in sauces or anything else yet.

Here are some of our tips for using sweet potato flour in gluten free baking if you choose to try it.

We are still deciding if buying sweet potato is worth it or not?

We are on the fence with our decision because with everything in life there are pros and cons. Though with sweet potato flour we could not really think of too many cons as the more we think about it, the more we really like it.

Pros:

• high in fiber
  • loaded with Vitamin A, helps increase nutritional value of recipes
  • great gluten free and grain free option that is not coconut nor nut based
  • versatile
  • one of the least allergic foods on earth
  • great choice for people with multiple sensitivities
  • naturally sweet
  • adds great moisture and texture to recipes

Cons:

• expensive (just like every other alternative flour option out there)
  • sometimes can make your baked good a little green
  • not sold at stores yet – just online we have found it

Is sweet potato flour worth the money?

yes and no

If you are someone looking for something different, something that is not coconut flour or nut based, sweet potato flour is great choice!

recipes coming soon using sweet potato flour

If you like coconut flour or other ‘flour’ alternatives out there than you may not need to use sweet potato flour. We feel sweet potato flour will be something we use occasionally for something different and tasty. Because we really did like how easy it was to use in recipes and the flavor and texture it provided!

Thoughts?

Have your heard of sweet potato flour? Have your used sweet potato flour before? Would you ever want to use sweet potato flour in recipes?

be back soon with a sweet potato flour recipe, and thank for everyone’s thoughts on Trader Joes coconut cream.

the twins

Katie @wishandwhimsy September 13, 2012 - 9:46 am

Sweet potato flour!? I hadn’t heard of it, though it makes tons of sense! Keep us updated on it. I’m sure, as you’ve listed, there will be tons of benefits connected with it. Thanks for sharing and testing it out for us. Does it taste, well, sweet?

purelytwins September 13, 2012 - 9:49 am

it does have a sweet flavor to it, not too sweet just a hint

Deanne August 9, 2014 - 7:22 pm

I found this flour(different brand)for less than $2.00 a pound at an Asian grocery today. Thanks for the info on how to use it.

katieDid September 13, 2012 - 9:53 am

thats so interesting that it gives off a green hue… never would have guessed it would do that. I’m definitely interested in trying it, it sounds tasty.

Linda February 28, 2016 - 11:08 pm

I grow sweet potatoes and make my own flour. I have dark orange, light orange/yellow, white, and purple fleshed sweet potatoes. Some cultivars have less sugar (many white fleshed can be used as French Fries) while the purple fleshed one are very sweet. This sugar is evident if raw or cooked.
To make flour: peel sweet potato, put in water with tblsp. salt to keep from discoloring. After peeling amount wanted (start with two large potatoes), dry on towel only the amount you can grate in a few minutes. Grate potato. If doing by hand return to water until done. This step helps regardless of how you grate it to keep the color from browning and remove some starch (precursor of sugar). Place grated potatoes on towel and wring out as much water as possible. The more water you remove now, the faster it will dry. Scatter loosely on parchment paper.
I use a hot greenhouse to dry my potatoes in, but an oven set at 250 degrees will work. Once dry, grind in coffee or grain mill.

Christa @ Edible Balance September 13, 2012 - 10:53 am

very interesting! I haven’t heard of it. I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy it, maybe wait until it becomes more mainstream and brought into stores. So many great alternatives 🙂

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness September 13, 2012 - 11:06 am

Interesting post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I had never heard of sweet potato flour until now but I would definitely be interested in trying it out! I love that it is vegetable based and adds moisture because I typically use coconut flour and always struggle with balancing out the dryness! Might have to give this a try!

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 13, 2012 - 11:33 am

Man – you can “flour” anything these days! It’s the new “butter,” right? 😛

lindsay September 13, 2012 - 11:53 am

my friend just gave me her sweet potato flour. Nice timing ladies! ready to use it up now.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist September 13, 2012 - 12:26 pm

Can’t wait to try this too! Great find!!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 13, 2012 - 12:42 pm

I would definitely be interested in using sweet potato flour….I love sweet potatoes! And I’m all for a little added sweetness.

Tamikko September 13, 2012 - 1:35 pm

I’ve been wheat free for the last few days (going for a week) so I can figure out (when I introduce wheat back in a week) if I’m allergic. I still have an itchy rash, but it’s going down and is much less itchy. I still have a touchy stomach but I always have, so that may never go away. It is looking like I am allergic. Sweet potato flour sounds great, but if it’s hard to get and expensive I probably won’t buy it more then once or twice a year. I love that you are experimenting and sharing your discoveries and feelings with SPFlour. Thank you so much girls for doing this. Your recipes are saving me right now. Without you I don’t know what I would eat. <3 you two 🙂

purelytwins September 13, 2012 - 6:12 pm

thanks Tamikko 🙂 we are so honored that we are helping you!!! we will keep working on yummy recipes along with SPFlour

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist September 13, 2012 - 3:50 pm

Oh (I know I already left you a comment on this one!!) but I gave you girls a Versatile Blogger Award over on my blog, Treats With a Twist, because I’ve just been loving your blog lately!! Here’s the link to check it out: http://www.treatswithatwist.com/2012/09/you-really-like-me.html

Lisa September 13, 2012 - 3:59 pm

So weird, I had no clue about sweet potato flour! How do they even make flour from it? Ha ha, seems very weird.
It definitely sounds tasty though.

purelytwins September 13, 2012 - 6:12 pm

haha it is weird, but it is tasty

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 13, 2012 - 6:45 pm

I have seen it, but it was at the International Market and if I remember correctly it wasn’t too expensive there. I need to grab some and play with it. They also had plantain flour. I like playing with flours. I hate that they are so expensive, but every time I find something new I have to try it! This sounds interesting.

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish September 14, 2012 - 2:47 am

I actually hadn’t heard of sweet potato flour until reading this post! I am SO excited to see what recipes you’ve whipped up in your kitchen, and think I may buy a bag tomorrow so that I can start experimenting myself. 🙂

Happy Friday! <3

Nicole September 14, 2012 - 8:38 am

i can’t wait to see some recipes with this. i’d def be interested in buying some and trying it out!

Teri {a foodie stays fit} September 14, 2012 - 4:23 pm

i’m so intrigued! i want to try it! but considering i, ahem, still haven’t tried socca, i should probably try that first so i can compare the two. ha! 🙂

purelytwins September 14, 2012 - 5:02 pm

haha yes 🙂

Ana September 14, 2012 - 5:56 pm

I have never seen this kind of flour and am already enjoying reading about your experiments and findings whilemusing it. I bought green banana flour to try and play with! Have you guys heard of/tried green banana flour?
Ana

purelytwins September 14, 2012 - 10:46 pm

We have heard of dried banana flakes not flour, very interesting!

Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans September 17, 2012 - 8:06 am

Sweet potato flour is a little expensive for my grocery budget but it sounds awesome! I love sweet potatoes.

Julie November 14, 2012 - 11:03 am

purelytwins

I grow my own sweet potatoes in the garden each year.
I grate them and put them in the dehydrator. I then put them in the blender and make sweet potato flour. I keep my flour in a glass jar in the freezer until I need it for many receipts. I had a sweet potato bagel in Dallas many years ago and got hooked on the flour.

Beth December 7, 2012 - 2:37 pm

I have been using sweet potato flour for several months now since my mom is allergic to regular potatoes and I have never had a problem with it turning baked goods green. The cheapest place that I have found to get it online is barryfarm.com.

Suzy February 6, 2013 - 11:24 pm

I’m allergic to wheat and rice so I am looking forward to seeing these recipes. Hopefully there will be something delicious to bake.

Brenda May 3, 2013 - 7:06 pm

I live in Ontario, Canada, here the GF sweet potatoe flour is available in the Bulk Barn @ $12.99 for a 1 kilogram bag (2.2 lbs). I just got it and have not made anything with it yet.

purelytwins May 4, 2013 - 7:50 am

exciting, we like it!

Debby Burke November 26, 2013 - 11:04 am

Hi, I have made my own sweet potato flour by dehydrating thinly sliced or food processor chopped sweet potato. I made crackers that were very good. I have multiple food allergies so ANY cracker would taste good! But, my family liked them too. I can’t take credit for the recipe, I got it from Nicolette Dumke. I hope to find some more recipes on your site.
I’m also experimenting with making pumpkin flour!

Shannon Smith November 26, 2013 - 10:51 pm

I am planning on buying sum Sweet potato flour and baking with it. It’ll be trail and error, but I cannot eat most GF flours because of allergies, But I can eat sweet potatoes! Can’t wait to try it

Sarah January 3, 2014 - 2:12 pm

Someone just gave me a sweet potato flour pancake mix. It also had chia seeds and flax. It was terrific. I have no idea what it cost but I am fairly certain the gifter bought it in the grocery store. That was my first taste, but I would definitely look for it again.

Gabriella Schneider April 29, 2014 - 5:05 pm

I just bought some sweet potato flour off of amazon as well. I am excited to experiment with it… Do you know of any recipes to use it in?

Gary May 18, 2014 - 3:35 pm

I just bought this flour. What recipes do you have that use it?
THanks so much!!

purelytwins May 18, 2014 - 4:32 pm Reply
Sandy April 17, 2015 - 2:54 pm

I just found out this week that due to inflammation I need to go completely grain-free. I’ve been dairy/gluten/soy/nut/egg free for some time now, now no grains? Yikes. I’m researching grain-free flours, and might have to give this one a try.

purelytwins April 17, 2015 - 4:13 pm

Sandy you will love being grain-free it has helped us so much with our digestive and skin issues. And we ADORE tiger nut! It is our go-to that we use just about everyday. love it!

Tiffany August 18, 2016 - 8:58 pm

My daughter has multiple food allergies, to the point we had to take her completely off of food for months and then after many endoscopys add food back. On thing at a time for a 6 week period then a scope to make sure it is all clear, this has been extremely hard on her but we have made a lot of headway for her. She now has some “safe foods”, sweet potatoes being one of them. I found this flour on Amazon and have been trying to find recipes for her. She is can’t have eggs, dairy, rice,oats, almonds, regular white potatoes, corn, pretty much all grains and many other things that would normally be used to make a form of baked good or bread. Im super excited about this flour and seeing what you girls find out for recipes and will be trying them. We already tried your sweet potato flat cakes and she loved them with the flax egg.