Chocolate pistachio layered cake that is raw, gluten-free, and vegan.
This recipe is long over due. We made it a few weeks ago and debated what to do…why?? well we were not pleased with how the pictures came out that we were a little embarrassed to share them. Michelle did her best to edit them, but still feel like it is hard to really make out how wonderful this cake came out!
We even made a video but decided it was no good as the lighting was horrible!!! We quickly found out that Lori’s new house doesn’t have very good lighting 🙁 and since we do our videos from our iphones…ya you can only imagine the quality. so we will have to figure something out soon for videos.
But we realized this recipe had to be shared…it is just that good. And did we say very addicting!
It was one of those days, we were sitting at our computers working and all of a sudden got the urge for dessert. We quickly brainstormed what to do, and noticed we had a very old irish moss paste that needed to be used up.
Our mission: to make a unbaked – raw cake. A cake that had 2 layers with creamy, rich, not overly sweet layers.
Chocolate Pistachio Cake.
Can we just say… WOW!
That is what this dessert is… WOW!
We got pistachios at Trader Joe’s earlier in the week and decided to make a dessert using them. We also wanted something that we could use irish moss in since it has been awhile since we have made a recipe using it, and it needed to be used up.
irish moss paste – check out our video of Michelle making it
We sometimes use irish moss in raw foods, especially desserts as it really helps cut down on the total fat and nuts in the recipe! Plus it is full of vitamins and minerals, bonus!
And this recipe features some of our favorites – COCONUT BUTTER and COCONUT OIL.
A lot of people ask about coconut oil vs coconut butter. As you can see from the picture above there is a big difference in the two. Most of the time you can sub them in recipes.
We try to always have both on hand as we never know what kind of mood we will be in.Print
chocolate pistachio layered cake (raw, vegan)
This recipe is raw (unbaked), vegan, and free of gluten, grains, soy and corn. And sweetened with coconut nectar, but you could also use maple syrup or agave. We just love our coconut nectar.
- Yield: one 6inch cake 1x
bottom – cake layer
- 1 cup pistachios, whole
- 3 tablespoons coconut nectar (or honey, agave, or maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, liquid
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cream filing – second layer
- 1 cup irish moss (or cashews, mac nuts or almonds, must be soaked and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar (or any liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
quick Chocolate Sauce:
- 2 spoonfuls of cocoa
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- stevia to taste
- **add in almond or coconut milk if want more creamy and runny
- Place pistachios in food processor and grind into flour. Then add in cocoa powder, sea salt, and vanilla. Pulse together. Then dump ingredients into bowl and stir in coconut nectar and and coconut oil till batter comes together.
- Press into the bottom of a 6 in springform pan lined with parchment paper.
To make cream filling:
- place all ingredients into vitamix blender and blend till creamy.
- Pour over chocolate cake layer. Set cake in freezer for about 1-2 hours till firm to the touch.
- May store in refrigerator for 3-4 days. Or freezer for longer shelf life but promise it won’t last that long!
You can enjoy the cake plain or jazz it up some with topping the cake with a chocolate sauce.
We were always fans of pistachios but this combo of chocolate and a vanilla cream just set us to be obsessed. Each layer goes together perfectly! Trust us it is that good!!! You will be wanting this yummy cake all the time. We finished it off in 2 days 😉
Desserts don’t last very long in our house!