Recipe for gluten-free grain-free vegan chocolate cookie sandwiches.
We think starting the week off with cookies is a great idea.
Do you agree? Who doesn’t like a good cookie?
We would never turn down a cookie, especially a chocolate one.
Ever since we created our sweet potato butter we love spreading the butter on so many things, including cookies! And today’s recipe is a BIG winner in our book. A great combo: cookies + sweet potato butter. It might sound strange at first but believe us, it is so good!
Cocoa hazelnut vegan and grain free cookie sandwiches
Need we say more?
Okay, maybe adding in some sweet potato butter to the mix to make cookie sandwiches.
Now these cookies are one good looking tasty dessert that we just kept going back for more!
Creamy sweet potato butter mmmm
How about a cookie sandwich?
Gluten-free chocolate cookies filled with sweet potato coconut butter
These cookie sandwiches were perfect! They were soft and a little crunchy in texture from the hazelnuts and coconut oil.
We admit it was hard
to only eat one not to eat the whole plate.
We were both so extremely impressed with these vegan cookies. We were nervous as they were baking, wondering if they were going to turn out. You know that feeling of trying a new recipe and praying that they turn out. This was a new recipe for us to try as we are trying to make more grain free and vegan desserts, since we get a lot of request for it.
Not only are these cocoa cookies vegan, grain and gluten free, they are low in sugar, as we used coconut sugar a low-glycemic sugar option. You may use regular sugar if you would like, or you could use other low-sugar options like erythritol, xylitol; or if you would to use a liquid sweetener we suggest reducing the coconut oil by 1-2 tablespoons.Print
chocolate hazelnut vegan cookie sandwiches (gluten-free, grain-free, low sugar)
A healthy simple recipe for chocolate cookies that are made without eggs and grains. Low sugar cocoa hazelnut cookies stuffed with dairy-free sweet potato coconut butter filling.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: makes about 12 cookies 1x
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 3/4 cup hazelnut flour/meal* (almond meal would work)
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid
- One recipe of Sweet potato coconut butter filling
to make cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take your 1 tablespoon flax meal with the 3 tablespoons water to make a flax gel, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Place all your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- *we make our own hazelnut flour by grinding whole hazelnuts and blending into flour in our vitamix.
- Next add in the vanilla and coconut oil (make sure your coconut oil is liquid not solid).
- Mix together.
- Then add in your flax gel and continue to mix together.
- Batter will be slightly thick.
- Scoop cookies onto cookie tray lined with parchment paper or silicone sheet.
- Press cookies down to flatten as this batter does not really spread.
- Flatten cookies to your desired thickness.
- The amount of cookies will vary, we got 13 cookies. We baked 12, and enjoyed the odd one. Couldn’t help ourselves.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on cookie tray for a few minutes before removing to cooling rack to continue cooling.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, spread your sweet potato butter in between two cookies.
- Store cookies in fridge or freezer!
- Serving Size: 6 cookie sandwiches
For the flax gel you can do one egg
You could use any ice cream of choice for the filling.
Perfect for enjoying on a hot summer day!
Love this cookie sandwich?
Check out our chocolate hazelnut pumpkin PEANUT butter sandwiches