getting a strong back

Happy Saturday Friends!

Doesn’t it feel like July is already flying by? Hard to believe it is already July 7th! Crazy! And today my best guy friend is getting married, which is also crazy 😉

Lori and I are so excited to see so many of you are ready to join in on our plank workout challenge! yay! Thanks as always for the amazing support! Like we said in the video, we have a few more ideas for the plank workout that we will share over time. And for those that are working their way up to 5 minutes keep it up! You are doing great!

Today I wanted to bring up our other fitness challenge that we briefly discussed already. But we did want to expand on it a little more and show a video of what we mean by our challenge of doing pull-ups.

pulls ups

Lori and I are going to be challenging ourselves to do pull-ups just about everyday on our equalizer.

We both have poor posture and have always wanted to do a pull-up so that is why we picked this challenge for us this summer.

Hope you liked the video. We wanted to show what we actually meant by doing a pull-up on our equalizer, so you could see us doing it. We plan on taking before and after pictures of our backs for progress pictures. Seeing our progress is always a big motivator for us to keep going.

What do you think of our pull-up challenge? Can you do a pull-up?

What is one fitness like challenge that you have planned this summer?

Now we are off to go get ready for my friends wedding…Lori is doing my hair for it, luckily we found this girl to help us with a cute simple hair style as the wedding is outside and it is HOT! Hair must be up!

till next time

Michelle

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) July 7, 2012 - 1:36 pm

i do those kinds of pull ups on my homemade dip bar! i really think that yoga has helped ‘sculpt’ my back so to speak. it’s amazing how having a strong core really sets you up for not only posture but overall lengthening 🙂

that hairstyle is so effortlessly chic! <3 have fun at the wedding! i am heading to a wedding too (FIL getting remarried) and just found out that my MIL got engaged on the fourth of july to her bf! crazy but happy times for nate's fam!

Lea July 7, 2012 - 2:58 pm

I’ve always wanted to be able to do a pull up, it just seems like the ultimate goal in terms of upper body strength. I’ve been using the assisted pull up machine at the gym and trying to work my way up to one!

Lisa July 7, 2012 - 3:09 pm

I love my equalizer…although I’ve always done pull-ups on it with the opposite grip, so I’ll definitely change it up later today 🙂

I used to be great at chin-ups when I was younger, mainly because of doing gymnastics. I could do 12 or something like that (like 8 if I came all the way back down to locked out arms)… Now…who knows. I think the last time I did it I could get like 4 without assistance. I love functional exercises using body weight—it’s so satisfying!

Bonnie July 7, 2012 - 3:27 pm

Awesome goal, ladies! I think it’s great to work the back and building up to pull ups is SO good – they are move that can’t really be replaced as far as the effectiveness for your body so being able to do them (and you will) is a great goal. 🙂 I can do maybe 5 – 6 pull ups in a row but when I’m working out going for more (or multiple sets) I use a band to help me up. It’s a great way to modify the move as you’re gaining strength. I recommend continuing on your equalizer but starting with an overhand grip – that’s a pull up (whereas an underhand grip is a chin up and works the biceps a bit more). It’s harder and if engages the back more, and if you can get in that habit now you’ll still be able to do chin ups later. So try some with the switched grip, then work to legs out straight, then start shifting your angle upward! Love that goal! You’ve got me thinking as to what my own might be for the summer! Thanks. 🙂

purelytwins July 7, 2012 - 4:06 pm

Thanks Bonnie for the tips! We will switch up our grip…and ya we hope when stronger we can do it with straight legs.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 7, 2012 - 7:39 pm

Great challenge! I think the 4 best exercises n the world are pull ups, push ups, planks, and squats.

Right now I’m working on wide grip pull ups… who know it could be so difficult!!

Lisa July 7, 2012 - 8:03 pm

I’m going to order me equalizer hopefully on Monday! I can’t wait. Pull-ups and sexy back here I come;) Good luck with the hair-dos. I love styling hair, its one of my favourite things to do.

Lisa July 7, 2012 - 8:08 pm

Oh, I forgot to add my challenge. To be able to do 100 push-ups in a row by the end of summer:)

Cara July 8, 2012 - 1:17 am

Awesome work, girls! A couple years ago I set out with a goal of being able to do 10 chinups (I am referring to an underhand grip like you are doing, if I use an overhand grip I call that a pullup – they are harder!). I used to not be able to do any but I quickly got myself up to doing ~3 and over the next two years the most I have ever been able to do is 8. The modified version you are doing is great but I know you will become too advanced soon and you’ll need a bar in your doorway to practice the real deal 🙂 The best exercises to help me learn to perform full, unassisted chinups are ones like you are doing, as well as what is called “negative chinups” – this is when you jump up the bar and lower yourself as slowly as possible. Anyway, just an idea for when you are ready to move up! My goals for the summer are really just stay be active at least 6 out of 7 days each week, if I can do that I will consider it a success!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 8, 2012 - 1:08 pm

Great idea to start with the equalizer bar! My goal is to be able to do 10 unassisted pull-ups in a row. I can currently do about 2-3 at a time. I am working on building the strength in my back and I make sure to do pull-ups every week.

Felicia July 8, 2012 - 2:14 pm

Nice goal! I started working on pull ups a longgg time ago. Now I can do a LOT in a row with no assist – my PR is 30 regular (chin up) and about 20 over hand. Still working on wide grip, those are the worst 🙂 It feels amazing to be able to bust out a ton of them though. And its a total upper body workout! My abs get so sore too after I do a pull up workout.